Why the lazy unimaginative longbow skills?

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

You guys basically used the same skill animation 4 times but made them do different things. Why not put the same effort you put into warriors longbow or even thieves shortbow. Even if longbow was as mediocre as it is right now, I would use it if it had creative skills/skill animations because I respect the creativity, but come on guys really?

EDIT: Look at how well you did the sword skills, good job on those.

(im a girl btw)

(edited by NaturalPortman.9562)

in Ranger

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

It’s a bow.

What else does it do. It’s like the rifle animations. You aim, you shoot, you repeat.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

It’s a bow.

What else does it do. It’s like the rifle animations. You aim, you shoot, you repeat.

Tell that to warrior longbow and thief shortbow.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

I think we have bigger issues than the aesthetics of longbow skills, don’t you?

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Not really. I like where the ranger class is right now.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthrage.2519

Anthrage.2519

You like all of the broken skills and bugs as well? The list of such is rather long…

Not really. I like where the ranger class is right now.

Ranger Anthrage Stormrider – Sanguine Wild Guild [SW]
sPvP BuildWvW Build
Tarnished Coast Server- Anthrage Stormrider on Youtube

in Ranger

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

It’s a bow.

They aim, they shoot….

Do you mean shooting fireballs or shrapnel bombs?

Yeah. Those are cool like wielding giant buster swords from an anime in one hand….

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Wow i’ve never noticed the animations are the same ahah. Ye it’s a cool idea but i wanna be honest, i doubt they will change lb animations…

Missiles would be c00l.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

It’s a bow.

They aim, they shoot….

Yeah. Those are cool like wielding giant buster swords from an anime in one hand….

Not even that, even little things like point blank shot showing a powerful gust of air infront of the arrow. something little like that. the first 4 longbow skills are literally all the same.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

Thief Arrow’s Flex and bend

The Animation tracks its trgt

I get what you mean OP.

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

in Ranger

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

• Charged Shot? (Make it like a skill shot where the player actually aims it or something interesting…)
  • Homing arrows?
  • Maybe a multi-arrow blast, something like what the shortbow has (except focused more on direct damage)?

I personally like the longbow as is, but it does get a bit boring sometimes…

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

So rapid fire: holds a fistful of arrows that diminishes as they’re nocked and shot, Point Blank Shot: wider, more stable stance and draws the bow a little further… I can’t think of much else to change.

I never noticed any shortcoming in the animations until they were pointed out, which to my mind means it’s fine and will continue to be so as soon as the idea slips from my thoughts.

in Ranger

Posted by: grandmooch.8653

grandmooch.8653

Or have those animal spirits animation like when using a greatsword show up. like having the bear spirit animation show up and charge the mob along with the shot for knock back arrows.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

yeah its boring…

great idea grandmooch… knockback: let a boar charge out and knock the enemy back… things like that….

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

yeah its boring…

great idea grandmooch… knockback: let a boar charge out and knock the enemy back… things like that….

yeah even little things like that would make longbow and the game in general more enjoyable to play

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I admit I was jealous my Thief’s shortbow had ricocheting arrows, as a Green Arrow and Hawkeye fan. I wish our shortbow had some more jazzy powers.

I don’t have as much problem with longbow’s flavor, especially once I’ve learned how to use it in tandem with my GS (and especially after the patch’s tweaks). One thing I’d love to see on either bow is a move that I loved from LOTRO’s ranger: you could pointblank stab a foe, then retrieve the arrow and headshot them. Not sure what I’d trade for that, though.

I personally feel shortbow feels boring compared to longbow. Longbow I’m finding good uses for as a swappable weapon, and every action feels like it serves a purpose and synergizes with my GS or S/T. Shortbow just feels a little more unimaginative between the similar Thief evade, the poison volley, and crippling shot. They’re useful, but when it comes down to it I just feel like longbow requires less auto-pilot. Even the positional requirement doesn’t excite me.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

I agree that the animations should be a bit more flavorful/creative, but please no missiles or anything >_> That ruins the entire theme of the ranger class. Also, it would be cool if Kudzu had a special animation for barrage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

i did suggest a better SB/LB animation before as it is too dull. i got flamed by trolls to ‘go play thief/warrior’ or ‘craft a legendary’…

considering how much Anet have on thier plate atm…i doubt anything will change…

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

I also agree on that. Especially if you play SB / LB. Everything just looks the same which is sad if I look how awesome for example the animations for my ele can be.

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

Hunter’s shot actually have animation the arrow have effect but only if u don’t use the trait for more range

SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

Many people undervalue gameplay aesthetics. It’s quite fun to see some special effects that are placed in scene. Aion was giving a blast, it felt fast, dynamic and awesome. Sure it’s only visual, but it give a response for a better gameplay feeling. And feeling is important.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Why not give the longbow a finisher, high-burst shot. Change the number 4 skill and allow this shot to do extreme damage to targets 600 yards away or do half damage but knock targets back if they’re closer than 600 yards. You can make the animation one of those ritual arming of the bow attacks like you see in asian movies.

in Ranger

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

It’s a bow.

They aim, they shoot….

Not even that, even little things like point blank shot showing a powerful gust of air infront of the arrow. something little like that. the first 4 longbow skills are literally all the same.

When you use point blank shot when not moving, watch your front leg. I actually like it. Makes me feel like a badkitten. Especially when fired at a charging warrior.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Poolp.6809

Da Poolp.6809

Speargun is more interesting than longbow ^^ I love the execute skill !

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Kinda wish we had some animal spirits on our ranged weapons, always liked the aesthetic of that…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna