Why use rune of the eagle over ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

Q:

Curious: I see lots of posts here saying to use rune of the eagle for rangers. I can’t see anyway that eagle is better then rune of the ranger. Is there a reason so many recommend Eagle? Did it use to be cheaper then Ranger or something in the past?

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

I think ranger runes were (and very well may still be) bugged so that if your pet was on cooldown you do not get the bonus damage. If this is still true, they are terrible.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

There isnt any reason to use eagle over ranger for rangers, atleast not that Ive found.

in Ranger

Stego.3148

Thank you for the replys, I need to confirm if Ranger is bugged still or has been fixed or what exactly the criteria is for taking away the 5%. Anyone with knowledge on this please?

just ran some tests in spvp world. The damage seemed to randomly go up and down by the 5% sometimes when pet was dead sometimes when pet was alive. If there is a damage bug I can’t put my finger on it, anyone else have more specific input on how ranger rune is broken? Sometimes they would both be alive and offcooldown and I wouldn’t get the 5%.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Seriously??? I just spent most of my hard earned gold on 6 runes of the ranger today. Can anyone confirm a bug here?

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

I just got my ranger to lvl 80 last night. Been using the runes of the ranger since lvl65. I have had no issues with them or my ranger. Hardly ever died except in a couple story line missions. I also have been only using long and short bows with zero problem. Imo long bows don’t suck. I bought the game at release and only now have i reached lvl 80. So i got to know my class well. I really don’t understand so many of you saying this or that is broke. I’m still having fun playing my ranger. To me one of the best characters i’ve ever made in a mmo. All lvl 80 exotic gear and weapons and feeling pretty good. Love my ranger. Dropping mobs like crazy in Orr and my eagle pet holds agrro like crazy. I just don’t get all the negative post here. Make me kind of glad that i only come to the boards once in awhile.

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I just got my ranger to lvl 80 last night. Been using the runes of the ranger since lvl65. I have had no issues with them or my ranger. Hardly ever died except in a couple story line missions. I also have been only using long and short bows with zero problem. Imo long bows don’t suck. I bought the game at release and only now have i reached lvl 80. So i got to know my class well. I really don’t understand so many of you saying this or that is broke. I’m still having fun playing my ranger. To me one of the best characters i’ve ever made in a mmo. All lvl 80 exotic gear and weapons and feeling pretty good. Love my ranger. Dropping mobs like crazy in Orr and my eagle pet holds agrro like crazy. I just don’t get all the negative post here. Make me kind of glad that i only come to the boards once in awhile.

Try PvP/WvW out.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Rune of ranger, last one with 5% is broken.

If you need a cheaper option, rune of the thief is really solid and the last one is 10% bonus to damage from back/side which is not horrible.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Rune of ranger, last one with 5% is broken.

If you need a cheaper option, rune of the thief is really solid and the last one is 10% bonus to damage from back/side which is not horrible.

Is that confirmed? Exactly how is it broken? I’ll test this tonight.

Edit: @wmtyrance: issue with rangers is PvP, not PvE

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Stego.3148

I tried to conduct some more testing and am noticing a random change to the 5% not activating on circumstances that I can’t narrow down. I’m having a hard time controlling my pet to be dead or alive in the pvp area does anyone have a trick to reliably kill your pet there for damage testing?

Some more data would be much appreciated if anyone can help on the criteria for what deactivates rune of the rangers 5%.

It feels like it might be tied into a combat phase and if your pet dies the 5% is gone until you leave combat and then renter combat.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. And at wmtyrance, I’m not saying Ranger is broken or complaining I’m just trying to understand why people use Eagle as Ranger rune at a glance is clearly better.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I can confirm that the 5% goes away while your pet is dead, however if you have a flesh reaver summoned (Sigil of demon summoning) or spirits out the 5% stays active until you have no summons or living pet.

Edit: if you are using a hyena and your hyena pet dies but the summoned hyena is still present the 5% buff will stay with you until the Hyena Ally is killed or despawns.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)