Why weak melee and strong range?

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

So the rangers get shafted again in the damage department, and it’s particularly terrible damage (and utility) on daggers because being in melee range has a ton more risk involved….

Meanwhile, though, all the thief mains who complained about ranger long bow (lol) seem to be loving their new ranged toy… that happens to outshine any ranged damage we rangers have to offer…

Why is it that we need overly conservative designs for ranger while this type of stuff is being dropped for other professions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3XW8yk7jBA

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in Ranger

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

well to be honst thief is more adps class then ranger atm but ranger has much more durabillity so its kind of trade off iguss and iknow that daredevil is batter then dead eye so idont know .. for me the most annoing part of soulbeast is the animations ..
but yeha dagger should get more boost but we ill see and thief dagger is adps wepon while soul beast dagger is like condi wepon i guss

in Ranger

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

From playtesting the demo axe was a better mainhand than dagger both for stacking conditions, damage, and versatility. Axe/torch was very strong. My guess is that most will drop the dagger for an axe unless there’s a lot of projectile hate. For power I’m not sure but almost willing to bet the greatsword will outshine the dagger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

So the rangers get shafted again in the damage department, and it’s particularly terrible damage (and utility) on daggers because being in melee range has a ton more risk involved….

Meanwhile, though, all the thief mains who complained about ranger long bow (lol) seem to be loving their new ranged toy… that happens to outshine any ranged damage we rangers have to offer…

Why is it that we need overly conservative designs for ranger while this type of stuff is being dropped for other professions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3XW8yk7jBA

Anet makes ranger one of the worst damage classes because of pet mechanic, but now when pet is removed, Anet still want us to be the worst damage class because of non existence pet :P

Logic is our best friend.

in Ranger

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

well youo should try gs soulbeast with sic em its good dps ireally hope it wont get nerf

in Ranger

Posted by: VictoriaCross.3205

VictoriaCross.3205

what about Soul Beast +LB + Sic em + Soulbeast elite and LB skill 2 = Best burstt in game ^^

in Ranger

Aomine.5012

what about Soul Beast +LB + Sic em + Soulbeast elite and LB skill 2 = Best burstt in game ^^

I see more powerful burst right now from mesmer in PVP
(Literally took 0.5 sec to down a marauder engi if I didn’t dodge randomly before he did his rotation.)

Also LB + Sick-em is one of the easiest burst to counter in pvp cuz terrain is our best friend in pvp against projectile, and sick-em only lasts 8 out of 32~40 seconds. Don’t forget the 123521 projectile hate from every single classes.

I do agree this might work in WvW open space 1 v 1 situation against bad roamers .

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

well youo should try gs soulbeast with sic em its good dps ireally hope it wont get nerf

It will.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beastmode
So much good melee synergy! Ranger is the new barbarian, someone give me 2d6!

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

It will.

^
Mark his words as it should be true.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

It’s hilarious that vid was so loved,

https://youtu.be/o39bUliqy-8

I don’t understand people. Maybe I should use edgy / female pop music in every vid. Idk.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fox Of Precision.4187

Fox Of Precision.4187

After landing a maul:

Attachments:

Some charr engi and ranger – Audacity [Au]

in Ranger

Posted by: Fox Of Precision.4187

Fox Of Precision.4187

More on topic though, melee ranger got improved (quite indirectly) following the August 8th update. Core melee feels like a solid build now, at least for 1v1s in WvW/guild arena. Perma protection, vigor, fury, swiftness. Would recommend.

Some charr engi and ranger – Audacity [Au]

in Ranger

Posted by: Skuzz.6580

Skuzz.6580

Soulbeast is the most diverse Elite spec in the game honestly, the amount of combinations that are ’ viable’ are nuts.
I’d play that over that godawful boring spec which is deadeye.

Also, just to get 1 thing clear:
To put it in LoTR terms, Legolas is not a Ranger, Aragorn is, what does he fight with? right, he fights with melee weapons and ranged weapons. It’s his diversity that makes him a fierce combatant.
Stop with the illusion of Ranger’s being Ranged classes..

As a sidenote, Deadeye is very thematic for an assassin class (which thief is), and it should deal more damage than a bow, plain and simple.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

well to be honst thief is more adps class then ranger atm but ranger has much more durabillity so its kind of trade off iguss and iknow that daredevil is batter then dead eye so idont know .. for me the most annoing part of soulbeast is the animations ..
but yeha dagger should get more boost but we ill see and thief dagger is adps wepon while soul beast dagger is like condi wepon i guss

Durability? Thief has 5+ dodges, a 15 sec cd stunbreak that blocks and knocks down, 3 teleports, and stealth. Dodge removes snares and roots.

So tell me again how in hell a ranger is more durable with his measly 2 dodges and a 1 minute cd on signet of stone.

in Ranger

Aomine.5012

Soulbeast is the most diverse Elite spec in the game honestly, the amount of combinations that are ’ viable’ are nuts.

To put it in LoTR terms, Legolas is not a Ranger, Aragorn is, what does he fight with? right, he fights with melee weapons and ranged weapons. It’s his diversity that makes him a fierce combatant.

As a sidenote, Deadeye is very thematic for an assassin class (which thief is), and it should deal more damage than a bow, plain and simple.

Have you fight against a range deadeyes in pvp before?
They’re meant to stall time before the Marks goes up.

It’s too early to tell whether Deadeye is bad for pvp or not.
Currently they’re not bad because of their range burst potential in conjunction with stealth. Plus most of their projectiles are unblockable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Currently they’re not bad because of their range burst potential in conjunction with stealth. Plus most of their projectiles are unblockable.

Deadeye is terrible in pvp. It will never survive the presence of a daredevil, mesmer, or dragonhunter, let alone warrior.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Durability? Thief has 5+ dodges, a 15 sec cd stunbreak that blocks and knocks down, 3 teleports, and stealth. Dodge removes snares and roots.

So tell me again how in hell a ranger is more durable with his measly 2 dodges and a 1 minute cd on signet of stone.

Stoneform (5s immunity), Natural Vigor (endurance regen), Soften the Fall/WK/TU/ un-cleansable Slow, Companion’s Defense (prot on dodge), Shared Anguish (60s cd CC immunity), Rugged Growth (regen on prot), WK (condi removal), Unstoppable Union (10s stunbreak, unblockable), Second Skin (-33% condi damage with prot), Eternal Bond (Killing blow immunity, heal, prot), Unflinching Fortitude (35s stunbreak, 4s immunity), Defy Pain x 2 (3s Immunity), Spiritual Reprieve (heal, resistance) SoS (6s immunity), LR (stunbreak, evade, vigor), QZ (stunbreak, super speed), GS (evade on AA, 3s block) S/D (3 evades) or S/A for reflect.

That’s one build and you can run Valkyrie/cavaliers armor with 3200 armor and 20k health and still output huge damage with Remorseless/intelligence sigils. Pretty durable man.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skuzz.6580

Skuzz.6580

I am not sure you reply-ed to the right person, since I never touched upon any of the points you addressed.
I don’t PvP so I could care less what a deadeye does or will do. My response was not about anything balance related, other then it is obvious for a ‘Sniper’ to do more damage than some bow user.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Stoneform (5s immunity), Natural Vigor (endurance regen), Soften the Fall/WK/TU/ un-cleansable Slow, Companion’s Defense (prot on dodge), Shared Anguish (60s cd CC immunity), Rugged Growth (regen on prot), WK (condi removal), Unstoppable Union (10s stunbreak, unblockable), Second Skin (-33% condi damage with prot), Eternal Bond (Killing blow immunity, heal, prot), Unflinching Fortitude (35s stunbreak, 4s immunity), Defy Pain x 2 (3s Immunity), Spiritual Reprieve (heal, resistance) SoS (6s immunity), LR (stunbreak, evade, vigor), QZ (stunbreak, super speed), GS (evade on AA, 3s block) S/D (3 evades) or S/A for reflect.

That’s one build and you can run Valkyrie/cavaliers armor with 3200 armor and 20k health and still output huge damage with Remorseless/intelligence sigils. Pretty durable man.

You are mixing there soulbeast and ranger.
I won’t bother to refute case by case you know the drill with the obscure and niche mechanics with this class.

Thief has much better ratio survivability / damage than the ranger by miles. Condi mesmer and condi reaper has also. To survive is not only to run when you see an enemy but to stand a chance to win the combar. As druid you can go full bunker but then you wont be able to kill anything and at last dying by contrition against other bunker. Condi druid is only aceptable in zerging right now because of the buffs other classes had in this last patch and the nerf to condi food as you are able to be carried by your zerg.

Bunker druid is the same as bunker engi, guard or warrior can stands a lot, but still has no access to stability and either immobilise cleanses. As such the chances of bunker druid are much worst than with any other of those classes as those weak spots are known by many already.

And that’s why you can only find thieves and mesmers as roaming. It’s being really long time i don’t see druids around, not even in zergs.

There is being an spike of core rangers, i guess a few because of the new spec and most because a lot of casual pvers coming to wvw with their prefered laid back class to get the legendary armor.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

Quickness + Greatsword’s 3rd AA = Tanky
Someone knows if beastmode procs “on swap pets” effects?