Will Beserker Ranger Ever Be Good?

in Ranger

Posted by: Paz Shadow.9715

Paz Shadow.9715

I have played beserker ranger and want it to be a good build so desperately (in wvw) but the more I play it the more disappointed I get with it. There are so many things going against rangers to be good with beserker gear, but the three that stick out the most are pets have % of our damage but don’t scale with our stats, too many useful traits in marksmanship which force rangers to make big sacrifices (extra range, or piercing arrows) and lb even with updates still is weak. Does anet have any plans to help with beserker rangers?

I am not the best ranger but it is really frustrating playing the class when you can get out dps’d by a warrior ranged build (rifle or lb)

Green Eye of Grenth | PR Officer | JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

If you want berzerker, go with one of the swords with shortbow secondary. It’s low damage, but the speed makes it a machine gun. Could try signets for SotW it Maul spike. GS/SB Attack of opportunity stun spamming is also decent, so I heard.

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

yeah I guess I can try that, just it is I have ascended lb and gs so that is what I have been using… sometimes ranger is frustrating to play >_<

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Ascended, this for PvE/WvW?
For PvE just be sure to take 20 in Marks and NM for spirits and spotter, the rest should be fine with GS/LB.

For WvW zerging, take steady focus, piercing arrows and your choice of spotter or eagle eye.

Roaming, try that stun build.

in Ranger

Posted by: jaykayy.6873

jaykayy.6873

I’m in the same boat as you paz, but in the end I always ask myself this…could I ever beat a phantasm mesmer with it? Let’s see…nope.

Vvoice
Voïce

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

Yeah… the issue is beserker ranger seems really great in theory, a hard hitting bowman… but there are just so many other classes that do beserker better than ranger. TBH, maybe aside from necro I am not sure there is any other class that does beserker worse than ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

It will never be unless many of our weapons *cough*Longbow, Shortbow, Greatsword*cough* will be totally revmaped from scratch, we get meaningful traits, considerable burst and damage, disengage ability, access to loads of cripple, defensive cooldowns.
Before it happens in next millenium, just switch couple armor pieces to Soldier/Valkyrie. It will help

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Vitalij.7193

Vitalij.7193

I play only spvp,full power longbow-greatsword build. I very like it,hard in 1v1,but still a lot of funn,if use trats for 1500 distance,then play on 1400-1500. don’t come close to enemy ur self,as mostly peoples do, can hit from1500 but start pew pew and running to enemy on distance 1000+-. enemy must run to you,not ranger reduce distance. hope you understand what I mean.as soon as you learn keep nearly max distance then its became powerfull. enemy can come close to you very quick as well. when enemy come close,i like to use greatsword skill 3 ( cancel target) then switch back to longbow and use skill 4. u will be again on big distance, between you and enemy using skill 5 then skill 2. I hope you understand what I mean,cant explain properly,because its difficul with this broken English P.S sorry for my bad English.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Are you truly going full berserker though? I’ve seen some people post before they go full glass cannon, when in fact the only thing glass cannon about them is their trinkets. Max both power and precision trait line, and allocate the last 10 points wherever you feel that will keep you alive the best. Put runes on that increase both precision and crit damage.

I run complete berserker and I out dps my warrior in exact same gear by 25% consistently with the LB. This is factoring my pet on passive, as I don’t even consider it’s dps in WvW because they die quick anyway. They do more damage than warriors easily, their problem is though, their utility sucks compared to warriors. That and they die far quicker.

If you can stay alive though, they will consistently hit harder than a warrior out in the battlefield.

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

zerk is not for wvw

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

I heard zerker rangers will be great in GW3…“a master of ranged weaponry”….or maybe that’s GW4….

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Our zerker has no spike dmg except for maybe QZ, which isn’t that great. Youre most likely gonna die if you dont land your first maul and maul misses frequently.

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

This is my armor, full ascended beserker everything… 30/30/0/10/0 are my traits. I just feel like ranger with beserker compared to other classes is missing something, the burst damage may be what it is though. pre quickness nerf rapid fire was a real burst it was a machine gun, now it is a fast pew pew but dodge-able.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

Best setup is longbow and bear with all signets. Burst rotation is 12345 on LB.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dina Van Heyr.3018

Dina Van Heyr.3018

This is my armor, full ascended beserker everything… 30/30/0/10/0 are my traits. I just feel like ranger with beserker compared to other classes is missing something, the burst damage may be what it is though. pre quickness nerf rapid fire was a real burst it was a machine gun, now it is a fast pew pew but dodge-able.

well you’re like a thief without a stealth and 15k backstab .. waste of money for ascended armor ..

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

I personally don’t feel it’s a waste of money since that’s the play style I like to play the most

in Ranger

Posted by: Bios.1398

Bios.1398

Nope

You want zerker damage from ranged, make a thief with shortbow

As long as ranger has a pet, you will never see a true ‘zerker ranger’

(edited by Bios.1398)

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Nope

It’s not just raw damage either. Without burst the class will never function as a true power class either.

in Ranger

Bios.1398

Nope

It’s not just raw damage either. Without burst the class will never function as a true power class either.

Good point, and I agree

in Ranger

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

as ive stated in a previous post today, large scale battles really are not the best place for a ranger, they have a place and a purpose but this surely isnt one of them.
The pet dies too quickly and for any large aoe (barrage)you have to stay stationary( which means easy target and death )

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I heard zerker rangers will be great in GW3…“a master of ranged weaponry”….or maybe that’s GW4….

GW4

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

I think ranger needs auto piercing arrows… pets to scale with armor… and one more thing then maybe beserker could be something.

in Ranger

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/ranger/?6.0|3.5i.h17.0.0.0|7.5i.h17.g.5i.h4.0.0.0|5g.a7.5g.a7.5g.a7.5g.a7.5g.a7.5g.a7.0.0.0.0.0.0|2s.0.2s.0.3s.0.2s.0.3s.0.2s.0|u18a.u49a.a3.0.0|39.1|4h.4o.4p.4x.55|e

I’ve actually played Berserker Ranger quite a bit in WvW and it hits like a truck. In my opinion the Shortbow is really bad for zerker builds because it lacks that burst although it attacks really fast. Even then the auto-attacks don’t scale very well from what I find. I use Longbow, the autoattacks hit extremely hard, I’ve hit i think upwards to 7K auto attack on somebody (most likely an uplevel but still) without attack of opportunity. What other class can hit 7K with just one auto attack? Rapid Fire is a bit meh because the channeling is too long, but decent if I can hit multiple targets.

Barrage is really beast, i hit around 2-3K per target per second. So say you hit 2K on 5 targets, and the actual skill hits about 12 times. That is about 120,000K damage in a zerg over 3 seconds. I know this is just theoretical DPS but no other class is capable of numbers even close to that in a short amount of time. Maybe it is more like 80,000K-100,000K but still. Just imagine having like 5 berserker rangers all just raining barrage on people.

I also make the unconventional choice of going axe/warhorn. Warhorn for more fury uptime and swiftness, the stack of might doesn’t hurt either. The scaling on its auto-attack is pretty average, but then again it ricochets off people and i get an extra 10% crit damage. The chill is also useful. I guess you could go greatsword just mainly for escaping or cleaving in the aftermath of a zerg because I still find myself using longbow 70% of the time.

Berserker Rangers are monsters when it comes to WvW zerging. It outDPS’s a berserker rifle warrior, although a warrior tends to have better burst. All a warrior has is volley and kill shot as its DPS (albeit not bad choices for DPS). The LB auto attack on a ranger hits at least 2x harder than a rifle autoattack (and that is being conservative in my experiences).

As far as PvP and PvE is concerned, I can’t really tell, I could imagine it would be decent for PvE but PvP probably not.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

(edited by killahmayne.9518)

in Ranger

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

i run full berserker 30/30/10/0/0 and i still think the overall damage of the ranger should be up at least another 15%. I also think that piercing arrows should be put to adept or should by default pierce.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sunt.6835

Sunt.6835

it seems pretty good for team pvp in spvp because you can hit from above the circle ….

its as much annoying as ele who only spam aoe.

but 1 v 1 or roaming u would die fast

BG

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

Yeah, piercing arrows really does need to be default imo… damage needs to be much higher too.

in Ranger

Posted by: ClaraFee.2579

ClaraFee.2579

This is my armor, full ascended beserker everything…

I’m not trying to one-up you or be too critical, but if you are having trouble killing with 3700 damage and 54% crit before foods and Rampage As One, then I think you are doing something wrong.

I don’t have ascended everything so my stats are closely behind yours, but I decimate the average WvW player that isn’t ready, isn’t paying attention, or is retreating / straggling behind. I think that’s a great strength of powerful Rangers – the ability to mop up multiple enemies without breaking stride.

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]
Join Darkhaven at http://www.darkhaven.us

in Ranger

Bios.1398

I’m not trying to one-up you or be too critical, but if you are having trouble killing with 3700 damage and 54% crit before foods and Rampage As One, then I think you are doing something wrong.

I don’t have ascended everything so my stats are closely behind yours, but I decimate the average WvW player that isn’t ready, isn’t paying attention, or is retreating / straggling behind. I think that’s a great strength of powerful Rangers – the ability to mop up multiple enemies without breaking stride.

Clearly somebody who has not faced somebody who actually knows how to play the game and also their own class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

That is exactly how you play a ‘power Ranger’. For a change up I will play that type of build a couple of weeks at a time. I can’t stop giggling when I chase a focused 40+ man blob and pick off the last guy. The 150% damage modifier on a 80%+ crit damage shot does very good damage. You can kill someone before the blob even realizes it.

It also works great vs perma stealth thieves that try and troll.

1v1 you better be a highly skilled player because all things being equal you will likely lose. That’s why it’s great you can switch things up every couple of weeks.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

sigh these threads…

PvE point of view, zerker ranger is awesome with the right build. Learn to pretect your pets from AoE and swap them. (dungeons/fracts)

WvW zerker ranger is awesome for roaming solo/small group if you know how to play.
Who cares about zergs? The numbers are never even for player skill/class to make the diffenrence. All you got to do in zergs is follow a commander and use your aoe.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

It wont be good because:

1-power scaling takes pet damage into consideration for some stupid reason
2-few inbuilt defensive stuff like stealth, teleports, blocks etc..

in Ranger

Rym.1469

Even then the auto-attacks don’t scale very well from what I find. I use Longbow, the autoattacks hit extremely hard, I’ve hit i think upwards to 7K auto attack on somebody (most likely an uplevel but still) without attack of opportunity. What other class can hit 7K with just one auto attack?

On my DS Necro, I can crit you for over 8-9k constantly with Life Blasts. With no buffs other than from spec, on proper 80 level. It can even go up to 10k. Ah, and speaking about your 120k damage.. Well. DS Necro with his 100% critical chance can do about three times this damage in the same time. And apply massive vunerability, immobilize at the same time.
Please don’t speak about how great Rangers are in WvWvW.
They’re not.

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Ranger

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

pvp wise:

you choose your opponent when youre running a zerker build. classes that you can beat 1v1 are: engi, thief, guard, ele and another ranger. i tried it over and over, you are at a disadvantage when you are fighting against necro, warrior and mesmer. i use double bow btw so i can kite the enemy team from a high area. i also use qz on my shortbow for maximum dps (their dead before they can react).

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in Ranger

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

pvp wise:

you choose your opponent when youre running a zerker build. classes that you can beat 1v1 are: engi, thief, guard, ele and another ranger. i tried it over and over, you are at a disadvantage when you are fighting against necro, warrior and mesmer. i use double bow btw so i can kite the enemy team from a high area. i also use qz on my shortbow for maximum dps (their dead before they can react).

do you realise pvp is not only in that small room map … ( spvp ) right?

(edited by Liza.2758)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Berserker ranger works wonders in WvW…If you use signets, they become beasts.

Currently, my build (full zerker LB/GS) allows me to do 7-12k (average) spike damage against medium-glassy enemies.
Also, using Signet of the hunt and Signet of the Wild before firing barrage is just priceless. used that against some unsupecting guy on an AC. First hit from barrage did 3k, next 11 hits did 1.2-1.5k
Poor lad melted.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Rym.1469

@Prysin
Everything may be fine and okay up to the point when someone jumps.on you in melee and you’re not able to kite him. GS has poor damage and barely out-damages warrior passive heal. Whenever you try to leap away and switch to Longbow, by this time every Warrior, Thief will be on you again. And every ranged weapon, especially Ranger Longbow totally sucks if you try to fire your skills in close combat. Well, unless you want to backpaddle.
Backpaddling Ranger. I think it can be translated as “unparalled archer” in ANet’s dictionary