Will my pet ever become an Adult?

in Ranger

Posted by: hix.8374

hix.8374

My idea for Rangers is to give pets an experience bar that is super huge, but when it is filled they finally become Adults. Upon becoming an adult they receive a slight increase to their stats. I would even be willing to accept a decrease in the juvenile versions stats.

Seriously should my tiger cub Hobbes actually be fighting Adult enemies? Someone call Peta. :p

in Ranger

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

No, having pets gain a stat boost after you finish an exp bar is a terrible idea.

1. Time spent leveling pets
2. Time spent finding pets
3. Need for time to level pet for WvW
4. Balancing stat boosted pets

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Mouse.3608

Mouse.3608

I would so afk on a spawn point just to not have to deal with this.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Maybe they pull the daredevil bs on rangers and make a beastmastery 2.0 elite spec, ya know…after they nerf beastmastery.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fairmead.8975

Fairmead.8975

I’d love this idea if this was a pet lvling game, sadly the implications on all ranger places would just be too much. Even if the exp was global to all your pets, it would still tale far too much work that other classess would never have to do, a total waste of time when we could be doing other things in the game

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I’m against this proposal.

I’d rather make pets scale with quality of item level.
So if I have all ascendeds, it’s damage will increase by an amount(how much was it? 16%?) in comparison to full exotics.
It would promote people into gathering the best gear in the game rather than spending time doing useless stuff.

It wouldn’t affect PvP. Just the PvE and WvW where rangers need the love in terms of damage, don’t you agree?

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

@Tragic Positive , Ascended weapons & armor were also a terrible idea.

The minor stat boost outside of fractals (I.e. infusion slots) has made more player discrimination against those that are new to the game and do not have the resources or time to make a set. It is far worse now for the armor due to the change to damask patches.

It would have been better in general for ascended and legendary items to have infusion slots and no extra stats over exotics (weapons give a ~ 5% boost in damage). This way, the weapons/armor wouldn’t give the equivalent of a sigil of force.

The availability of ascended from raids is a nice change but it only helps PvEers & reinforced the idea that people need ascended. Until ascended is equalized to exotic in WvW , it remains an issue.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

in Ranger

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i do miss pet growth from GW1
you started off by taming a juvenile, and it would grow and grow each level
the stats also changed dependig o how you raised it, if you made it attack a lot it would get more offensive stats etc
it was a really great system

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

@Tragic Positive , Ascended weapons & armor were also a terrible idea.

The minor stat boost outside of fractals (I.e. infusion slots) has made more player discrimination against those that are new to the game and do not have the resources or time to make a set. It is far worse now for the armor due to the change to damask patches.

It’s actually quite easy to gather Ascended jewellery.

Doesn’t it mean having Ascended items in general is a bad idea? If you think about it – we are the only class that doesn’t scale throughout the whole gaming progression. Pets included. While other classes get full benefits of going offensive, we are stuck with pets that won’t scale regardless of effort.

We do not scale from Alacrity on Hybrid builds (main source is Quick Draw on Bonfire), we do not scale from Quickness because Axe attacks do not deal anything, we do not scale from boons because our pet doesn’t get those…

Being stuck on armor quality is also an issue with the pet.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It’s been said you’re not truly an adult until your parents die, so you could kill your pet’s parents if you can find them, in some terribly twisted RP episode.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

It’s been said you’re not truly an adult until your parents die, so you could kill your pet’s parents if you can find them, in some terribly twisted RP episode.

For the Sylvan hounds we could feed them that plant food we use for mawdrey, but we got to be careful or it will turn into mordremoth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Maybe they pull the daredevil bs on rangers and make a beastmastery 2.0 elite spec, ya know…after they nerf beastmastery.

“Crap, they know what we’re planning! What do we do now?!?”
“Obviously we need to be smarter about this! Lets nerf Marksmanship to make way for the new Sharpshooter Spec in Guildwars 2 : Sylvari centric storyline 3.0!”

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

It would be nice visually to have some adult pets, though unneeded in some cases (the drakes look mature enough for example).

That could be addressed through taking a page from GW1, with a Menagerie where you’d bring the juvenile pet to unlock the adult version, with optional “neutral” stats modifiers rather than straight buffs: hearty pets with +tough/vit/heal and -power/prec/condi, dire pets with the opposite.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Justine.6351

It would be nice visually to have some adult pets, though unneeded in some cases (the drakes look mature enough for example).

That could be addressed through taking a page from GW1, with a Menagerie where you’d bring the juvenile pet to unlock the adult version, with optional “neutral” stats modifiers rather than straight buffs: hearty pets with +tough/vit/heal and -power/prec/condi, dire pets with the opposite.

Well I wouldn’t ever expect a menagerie in gw2 unless they add more classes with pets or lolmounts. Gw1 anyone could second ranger and also there were heros. Perhaps just a trainer NPC, but again they would actually have to think pets need improvement. + stats isnt really an improvement.

in Ranger

Posted by: foxyroxy.9521

foxyroxy.9521

The pet could simply grow up and become a full-grown version without stat change. I think it’s the lack of visual change that’s the downside of pets in GW2. We tame a juvenile and you expect it to mature in time. Of course, then you’d have people complaining of “that big monstrosity of a pet blocking my view!” Some pets look like their parents but some are still obviously miniature versions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

This makes me really miss GW1, it was so much deeper, so much more interesting even to your pet choices and how you raised them. If only we could get gw2 graphics and gw1 gameplay sighs dreamily.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

This makes me really miss GW1, it was so much deeper, so much more interesting even to your pet choices and how you raised them. If only we could get gw2 graphics and gw1 gameplay sighs dreamily.

Yeah, no idea how they went for gw1 expansion eutopia to gw2. Both are great games but yeah, in ip only are they related.

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Well I wouldn’t ever expect a menagerie in gw2 unless they add more classes with pets or lolmounts. Gw1 anyone could second ranger and also there were heros. Perhaps just a trainer NPC, but again they would actually have to think pets need improvement. + stats isnt really an improvement.

The home instance(s) would be a neat place for that i guess, no additional area design required, just a stupid NPC.

As for pets needing improvement, well, the whole beast mastery aspect is ridiculously undercooked right now and in bad need of a redesign at some point. The HoT pets work so much better it’s not funny. That said, i’m not sure i want to see it happen, i’m very wary of what they may come up with. ^^

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!