WvW: Condition Spike Roamer

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Hi guys, I’ve heard that ranger is bad from everything from dungeons to pvp to zerging. Whatever the case may be, this build kicks certifiable kitten for roaming. I thought I’d publish it and see what everyone thinks, here it is:

http://intothemists.com/guides/2282-condi_spike_roamer

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

If the sigil of geomancy popped from weapon swapping the sigil of earth also won’t provide it’s effect for 9 seconds.

in Ranger

infantrydiv.1620

If the sigil of geomancy popped from weapon swapping the sigil of earth also won’t provide it’s effect for 9 seconds.

Hmm you are right. I’m actually currently using sigil of torment right now which appears to not affect sigil of earth in any way, but sigil of geomancy messes it up. I’ll edit the guide later

I didn’t put sigil of torment in the guide since it’s pretty expensive.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthenea.1546

Asthenea.1546

This is a nice build man.

in Ranger

infantrydiv.1620

This is a nice build man.

Thanks

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Hi guys, I’ve heard that ranger is bad from everything from dungeons to pvp to zerging. Whatever the case may be, this build kicks certifiable kitten for roaming. I thought I’d publish it and see what everyone thinks, here it is:

How do you roam with no speed?

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

You die a lot, don’t you?

in Ranger

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

Not much health, not much armor. I am not sure how you are able to survive much in melee range after evades are on CD.

in Ranger

infantrydiv.1620

How do you roam with no speed?

I use the movement signet while I roam until I see someone I want to fight and then switch to Protect Me if I have time.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

infantrydiv.1620

Not much health, not much armor. I am not sure how you are able to survive much in melee range after evades are on CD.

If you have not tried this build, you probably don’t understand how hyper-aggressive the playstyle is. Both shortbow and dagger evades are on a low cooldown and I have multiple cripples, as well as protection as soon as I get hit for more than 2k damage.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

infantrydiv.1620

Nope. It isn’t much fun running around wvw with a tanky BM regen spec anyway

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I’d switch Entangle to RaO in a heartbeat. Stability is too important imho, and might always helps.
Overall build isn’t bad, but if I were you, I’d just go for a Apo trap build and get rid of shortbow

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

infantrydiv.1620

I’d switch Entangle to RaO in a heartbeat. Stability is too important imho, and might always helps.
Overall build isn’t bad, but if I were you, I’d just go for a Apo trap build and get rid of shortbow

As I say in my guide, I do switch utilities depending on who I’m going to fight.

And shortbow synergizes better with my build than any other weapon set due to how fast it fires and how many bleeds I can stack while kiting.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

If you have not tried this build, you probably don’t understand how hyper-aggressive the playstyle is. Both shortbow and dagger evades are on a low cooldown and I have multiple cripples, as well as protection as soon as I get hit for more than 2k damage.

I play a similar build. But I also have it at 19k+ health, 2900+ armor, and 2900+ attack, and 75 crit damage. Of course I also only have 47% crit chance, and only 850ish condition damage without food or boons.

Fighting Warriors and Guards I found cripples and condi’s roll off their backs too easily to have low armor/health, and not enough power to compensate for having my bleeds cleansed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Nope. It isn’t much fun running around wvw with a tanky BM regen spec anyway

I think you’d do better with rabid armor in this build though, maybe even higher burst since it’s so condi focused already with added survival in pure armor.

in Ranger

Posted by: DocJDMD.5307

DocJDMD.5307

I’ve run a similar build before using Rampager gear and a slightly different tactic to burst. SB & S/T (unbuffed ~65% crit)…….goes something like, daze/root, rao, bonfire>qz>and use pet F2 after having stacked 25might on pet from crits. It is squishy, but can be a fun change of playstyle for roaming. Or use the same setup that you have and use A/T & LB with say settler’s gear and a healing power rune setup, tossing traps and healing with TU for going zergstyle. I personally run about 6 different builds, using 0/30/30/10/0 and simply changing armor/accessory sets, pets, and weapon stats on my legendaries.

Addixx

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Tried this one out with rabid gear and zerker weapon (because those were the ones I had) in wvw with a necro as partner.

I used sharpening stone instead of protect me because I wouldn’t need it.
He called a target, I went in with SB #1, point blank daze, axe #2, dagger #5 and spike trap somewhere inbetween. Boom, epidemic. 25 stacks on everyone else.

Also swapped HS to heal as one because there is already enough condition cleanse

The single CC transferred to the pet helps alot. Thieves + someone with CC usually try to immob or stun.

Empathic bond can be switched if you have time to check out who you’re fighting against.

Against thieves, they try to stealth after 2-3 sb pew pew so I daze them after that, throw spike trap, they stealth, throw axe #2 in their face and they are most likely downed in stealth.

Sharpening stone + axe 2 = at least 13 bleeds

What I really like a lot is that there are basically no casting times.
You use skills when you need it.

Why heal as one?
Because it’s immediate.
TU requires a prediction and using it will be either too late or too early.
HS requires you to remain in the zone

Pets?
The spiders are good for using them as shields against ranged enemies. Two is, however, not needed and one might benefit more from a wolf or dog. But it mostly depends on how one uses the pets.

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

I kind of like the build. Sadly, I just got some healing cond gear for my ranger, so I won’t get to test this any time soon(gotta equip other chars too and can’t keep cluttering a single toon with all kinds of gear… before I get a third set of gear for my ranger, I will have to get my necro some cond gear).

Suggestions:
It might be worth looking into putting these 10 points from nature magic to marksmanship for malicious training.
Will make your pet’s immobilizes even work against those melandru lemongrass monsters. Also, the traitline bonus(+10% cond duration) is probably welcome.
Also might be worth a shot looking into giver’s weapons, which might free up the runes for a full set of any rune, which would provide more overall stats and possibly some utility.

Edit: you are overstating the potential bleeds, you can dish out.
Keep in mind, Sigil of Earth has a 2 second icd.

Edit: Just made a build with my suggestions:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQNAnYVnIVUXZcFaBxaZgYVAQtHTy8Yi9wQO6RlspoA-jkCBIggohBiWAkqIQJnFRjtEcIaFMhVxETBjIq2YuIa1RBATA-w
70% cond duration, 100%(total) bleed duration.

Having the bleed at 100% means, sharpened edges will have an extra tick.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

(edited by naphack.9346)

in Ranger

solrik.6028

1. It might be worth looking into putting these 10 points from nature magic to marksmanship for malicious training.
Will make your pet’s immobilizes even work against those melandru lemongrass monsters. Also, the traitline bonus(+10% cond duration) is probably welcome.

2. Also might be worth a shot looking into giver’s weapons, which might free up the runes for a full set of any rune, which would provide more overall stats and possibly some utility.

3. you are overstating the potential bleeds, you can dish out.
Keep in mind, Sigil of Earth has a 2 second icd.

Edit: Just made a build with my suggestions:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQNAnYVnIVUXZcFaBxaZgYVAQtHTy8Yi9wQO6RlspoA-jkCBIggohBiWAkqIQJnFRjtEcIaFMhVxETBjIq2YuIa1RBATA-w
70% cond duration, 100%(total) bleed duration.

Having the bleed at 100% means, sharpened edges will have an extra tick.

Wanna say first that I am not the OP, because it seemed like you were replying him but then you continued with me :/

1. I strongly disagree with this suggestion because Nature’s prot helps a lot against burst.

2. Good idea, but will the extra duration equate the lost condition damage? Gaining an extra tick on one source might be worse than more damage on all sources. (I will check if it does or not)

3. Splitblade = 5 bleed + sharpened edges gives at minimum 2 and can give up to 5 + sharpening stone gives 5 + 1 from sigil = a total of 13 bleeds

I’ve read something about condition duration sigils don’t work, is that true?

EDIT: Regarding point #2
Here are the results:
Left of | is your build
Right of | is the original with rabid gear
Used only 4 sources of bleeding.
Splitblade - 12s 5868 | 11s 6581
Talon - 16s 4694 | 14.25s 5025 (~5000)
Spike Trap - 15s 4401 | 14.25s 5025 (~5000)
Sharpened Edges - 4s 391 | 3.75s 359 (~295)

We can see that the 3 sources of bleeding are better with the original build but you build, as you said, makes sharpened edges tick an extra. The choice of which build to use is mostly personal preference imo.

Here are the stats with giver weapons:
11.75s 6322 (~6250)
15.5s 5173 (~5120)
14.75 4828 (~4750)
3.75 345 (~275)

1 improved, 3 didn’t. Sooo, don’t use the build with giver weapons.

Conclusion;
Someone running Rampagers might value sharpened edges much higher than rabid because there is a noticable crit chance difference.

Figuring out if one or the other is better requires more math because sharpened edges is percent based.

(edited by solrik.6028)

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

you have to keep in mind that the 30% extra cond duration also apply to poison and burn, aswell as cripple, chill and weakness, not only bleeds. Also, the difference between 85% and 100% will probably equate to an extra bleed tick on pretty much all bleeds, you dish out. The shortest bleeds are only the most relevant ones.

as some sites use some weird rounding, I am gonna do my own calculations, using focusing crystals instead of maintenance oil, because with a semi-decent fury uptime and 65-68% base crit rate, depending on equip quality, there shouldn’t be much reason to push precision any further.
Full corruption stacks, no guard or ruin stacks:

Keep in mind, I can’t test ingame right now, so it’s all calculated on paper.

100% bleed build: 1404 cond damage, bleeds deal ~112 damage per tick.
Crippling Shot: 12 ticks, 12*112= 1356
Crossfire: 6 ticks, 6*112 = 672
Spike Trap: 45 ticks, 45*112= 5040
Splitblade: 60 ticks, 60*112= 6720
Talon: 48 ticks, 48*112= 5376

85% bleed build: 1565 cond damage, 120 damage per tick
Crippling Shot: 11 ticks, 11*120 = 1320
Crossfire: 5 ticks, 5*120=600
Spike Trap: 42 ticks, 42*120=5040(!!)
Splitblade: 55 ticks, 55*120=6600
Talon: 42 ticks, 42*120=5040

However, let’s forget those long duration bleeds here. It’s pointless to assume they will stay on the target, cause if they do, you have won the fight anyway.
the matter at hand is bleeding edges, because most of our burst comes from putting huge stacks of short bleeds on the target.
3 ticks at 112 vs 4 ticks at 120?
336 vs 420 damage? for every single potential bleed, which may proc?
that’s like a 42% damage increase on sharpened edges.
Also, if you hit the bleed cap, all those sharpened edge bleeds will remain on target for an extra 0.7 seconds, without dealing any damage, so this might also help optimizing the dps vs high hp targets, like champs when taking a tower with a 5 man group.

The thing is, the higher the baseline cond damage from stuff like might, corruption, guard buffs, guild buffs, ruin buff, warrior banners and whatnot is, the more the duration build will pull ahead in damage.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Ranger

solrik.6028

Using lyssa runes would be better because you get the same effect with half the price.