WvW Ranger Ascended Armor

in Ranger

Posted by: Mohawkrocks.8654

Mohawkrocks.8654

I plan on switching to ranger for WvW Roaming and was wondering which Ascended armor type I should craft? Build Recommendations would also be helpful since I cant seem to find a wvw specific one and I dont know if LB/GS is Roaming viable.
Thanks in advance and if you have any tips involving Ranger Roaming that would be awesome

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Strongest wvw roaming build is probably traps actually, not lb/gs. Lots of stealth and super speed. That’s what I’d run anyways.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

it depends on if you are roaming solo or with a group

with a group, lb/gs is very good

solo, i’d lean towards a more survivable build

in Ranger

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

I roam in a zerker lb/gs build and have no real issues, I win majority of my fights. Become a good kiter and very few fights you will lose.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I solo roam glass hybrid longbow, sword/torch and I recommend dire stealth traps or some mix that has toughness/vita. We are losing guard stacks which is 2.5k health. That’s huge. Keep in mind just because you are running solo, that doesn’t mean enemy will, infact count on them not.

If you plan on flipping camps ever(assuming it will still be possible solo) and learn how to stack npcs, bonfire/traps will wreck them pretty fast.

If you plan on running druid, it will potentially become even stronger If spiketrap/flametrap will proc ancient seeds. Can just stack your traps and rub hands together in corner waiting for some poor soul to step on them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Check the link in my sig mate, lots of builds there, a good starting point to find something you like playing. If you like glass LB/GS, you can throw in a couple of Valk/Cav pieces to up your defence a bit too.

… Can just stack your traps and rub hands together in corner waiting for some poor soul to step on them.

Or, even better, roam with a mate (DH), both drop a bunch of traps on a spot, then drop a guild banner on top of it, sit back and wait for the bait to work

in Ranger

Posted by: Jephiroth.3197

Jephiroth.3197

The past several months I’ve been fielding my Ranger again. I’ve been running a shout/survival GS/LB build built around crits and permanent Regen/mitigation. Taunt on the pet and signet of stone can be a crucial lifesaver to buy you a bit of time to heal back up. Traited shouts and WHaO gives you a decent heal+regen every 16 seconds. The defensive capabilities of GS and the knockback on LB have very low cooldowns and can make you a very tough kill.

Come HoT, I’ll be fielding an Ancient Seed Druid build with Ascended Sinister gear and a mix of Soldier/Dire-Rabid/Cleric ascended accessories and weapons. 2100 attack, 30% crit, 1000 condi damage and about 5 different ways to invoke a stun/daze/knockdown/etc. Staff/GS will be the weapons. Smokescale field with wisp/blast will give a nice stealth and then weapon swap to GS for quickdraw Maulx2 out of stealth (plus on-swap doom sigil to cripple their heals) and then another stun/daze/block as needed.

My former build ran a mix of Knights and Valkyrie with Soldier weps. Something around 2300 attack, 30% crit, 2900 armor.

Traumahawk: WvW Shout/Seed Sinister Druid
Ashen Mistwalker: WvW Tank/Crit Revenant
Oaken Earthlore: WvW Medi/Bunker Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Celestial with Traveler runes. Change build on the fly just because you can (well, apart from trapper rune build, but then an exotic dire set is cheap).

Ascended accessories are cheap, use them to tune the stats when needed.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I have found glass longbow to be one of the weakest power builds in the game for roaming. Can’t stand playing it myself. You will get absolutely murdered by pretty much everything.

I’ve played traps and it works. Dropping traps and standing in them until some noob rushes you from behind and then dumping them again is always good for a laugh. It is moderately strong overall and you’ll need to rely on HS which is a bummer.

shout ranger in my experience is pretty useless given the awful nature of our shouts and general weakness of regen in general. the only good thing imo is permanent swiftness which is nice.

I myself prefer to run the old straight up survival of the fittest condi ranger but sub out sharpening stone for spike trap and relying on the pet for taunt. Downside is you literally have the worst mobility in the game and once you’re in a fight you’re in it until you die.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I have found glass longbow to be one of the weakest power builds in the game for roaming. Can’t stand playing it myself. I will get absolutely murdered by pretty much everything.

Fixed that for you. Tons of people roam in glass LB and do extremely well. IMO it’s ranger’s best roaming build, even better than condi regen.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

I have found glass longbow to be one of the weakest power builds in the game for roaming. Can’t stand playing it myself. I will get absolutely murdered by pretty much everything.

Fixed that for you. Tons of people roam in glass LB and do extremely well. IMO it’s ranger’s best roaming build, even better than condi regen.

^ this, if you are having trouble with full glass LB build it generally means you either have the wrong skills/traits or need to learn to get good.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I’m not denying glass LB ranger can do well, but in my experience they are a bit of a joke in 1v1s. The skill level to do well on a LB ranger is much higher than it is for other classes imo. I hate the unreliability of the pet which you rely on much more heavily for CC in a glass build and it feels like you need to play perfectly to have any sort of chance esp given the abundance of thieves and mesmers that appear out of nowhere and insta gib.

I have yet to meet a power ranger that is anything but a walking loot bag. Once you get close the vast majority of them simply roll over and die.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I solo roam glass hybrid longbow, sword/torch and I recommend dire stealth traps or some mix that has toughness/vita. We are losing guard stacks which is 2.5k health. That’s huge. Keep in mind just because you are running solo, that doesn’t mean enemy will, infact count on them not.

If you plan on flipping camps ever(assuming it will still be possible solo) and learn how to stack npcs, bonfire/traps will wreck them pretty fast.

If you plan on running druid, it will potentially become even stronger If spiketrap/flametrap will proc ancient seeds. Can just stack your traps and rub hands together in corner waiting for some poor soul to step on them.

Several good points here although I personally don’t run glass much (although I have a set when I choose to).

First – loss of health tomorrow for WvW ranks. This is actually huge, maybe not as much as say a Guardian, but still something to factor in. That is, if you used it as part of your stat distribution, traits, sigils, food, or anything else. Just flat out comfort even.

Second – flipping NPCs and camps. Speed kills. Sometimes you just need that extra burst to save or control the camp before the enemy enters the circle… It has happened to us all at one point or another, but if you are controlling sentry points, NPC and supply camps, Glass/Max DPS comes in handy. Once you are comfortable

I run LB/Axe/Torch with trapper runes so do well scouting and flipping camps. But there have been times when I said Oh Poo, because I needed that faster DPS So good points here.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

Power LB doesn’t have to be glass. WK/NM/BM + LR/QZ/SoS (or SoR against condi) gives strong survability even with zerker gear, and you can always add some defensive pieces, if you feel the need for it. It is actually a fairly “tanky” and forgiving build, which still deals decent damage. Very strong in 1vs1 against almost everything.

Edit: It counters trap ranger pretty hard btw ^^

(edited by UmbraNoctis.1907)

in Ranger

Posted by: Pewienpan.5168

Pewienpan.5168

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRAnY8fjMqQ7K2tCmrAVLGSEqPAi9Xvvgd9D4FozD9CWlA-T1RHABBcEAcT/Ajq/88+D3pEEgDCwRK/IFAMTjA-w
Dire Trapper – after HoT just gonna drop the beastmastery line for Druid and switch accessories into apothecary ones. Almost perma swifftness with https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Natural_Stride gonna be nice. And ancient seeds will be kinda op ^^ . We’ll see how the new maps will work for roamers.

Celestial scrubs, just die already…

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

Check the link in my sig mate, lots of builds there, a good starting point to find something you like playing. If you like glass LB/GS, you can throw in a couple of Valk/Cav pieces to up your defence a bit too.

… Can just stack your traps and rub hands together in corner waiting for some poor soul to step on them.

Or, even better, roam with a mate (DH), both drop a bunch of traps on a spot, then drop a guild banner on top of it, sit back and wait for the bait to work

You Sir…I like the way you think!

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Wooden Potatoes made a video of him in a party with 5 trap rangers and a guild banner in front of the enemy spawn. The humanity of 15 traps all at once….