WvW Trapper Rune Build!

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Not too much to say, other than that Trapper Runes are crazy powerful and carry this build entirely. Trapper Ranger has always been a sort of high risk high reward build, but these runes remove a lot of the risk involved with playing Ranger in general. Access to both spammable Stealth and Super Speed give the Ranger far greater skirmishing power, making the traps both high damaging utilities as well as great escape tools.

The build’s playstyle is pretty straightforward. It’s a WvW roaming build that lets you skirmish with a small number of players very well, with high amounts of AoE condi damage and good access to soft CC with Spike Trap and Entangle. I went for Geomancy and Hydromancy, to help land more bleeds and kept my opponent snared. It’s fairly easy to run up to an enemy in stealth and condi burst them down with traps, Torch skills, and Axe 2. If you need to disengage, you can simply throw down traps and run away with your Stealth and Super Speed.

The Sword is primarily there for the mobility. Turn off auto-targeting and learn to quickly pan your camera or quick-turn around to use the #2 leap chain to run away.

I try to always run triple traps. Slotting in a trap for a stunbreaker or other utility skill really decreases your damage. If you do feel you need to slot in some sort of other utility, take out Viper’s Nest.

The points in Nature Magic are flexible. You can take Nature’s Protection instead of Nature’s Bounty, for instance. Or you could put them in Marksmanship and take Keen Edge.

The gear is mostly Dire, with only some Rabid upgrades (such as Crest of the Rabid) in the trinket upgrade slots. This helps you proc Sharpened Edges for a few more bleeds. If you can’t afford Ascended Dire+Rabid Trinkets, you can get Dire Exotic trinkets on the TP as here:
Amulet: Alpha Conduit / Stargazer Pendant
Ring: Ring of Blood
Accessory: Vallog’s Demise

This build is pretty standard and has been around since the beginning of the game, but I’m posting it here to help bring back visibility to the build, and how much stronger it’s gotten in WvW roaming with the introduction of Trapper Runes. The runes are not in the build editor because the site hasn’t been updated to include them yet. Trap runes themselves can only be obtained via crafting. You can buy the recipe from the TP (Recipe: Superior Rune of the Trapper).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRBHfxG2IhKdr2ui5KUtGwQoafCvbJwOAigJw1OUwmK-TlhHwACOpCAeSBrU/xuSQO6fMq8jUAwssC-w

(edited by Neko.9021)

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I love running trapper. I’ve been trying to get my hands on the runes but they’re never on the trading post.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Neko.9021

I love running trapper. I’ve been trying to get my hands on the runes but they’re never on the trading post.

You need to get the recipe, and craft them yourself. They are only available via crafting. I’ll edit my post to reflect this fact.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Swanky McDanky.5214

Swanky McDanky.5214

You need to get the recipe, and craft them yourself. They are only available via crafting. I’ll edit my post to reflect this fact.

Crafting them requires 400 in Huntsman—but don’t let that deter you. The rune is as powerful as it sounds, and the cost is quite small now that the initial influx spike of recipes and hype have kind of settled.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Neko.9021

Crafting them requires 400 in Huntsman—but don’t let that deter you. The rune is as powerful as it sounds, and the cost is quite small now that the initial influx spike of recipes and hype have kind of settled.

You need 400 in any of the armorcrafting crafts: Armorsmith, Leatherworker, or Tailor.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

But why do you use Dire instead of Rabid ? you already invested 6 points into skirmishing and been using sharpened edges, why not building enough crit chance to make it really usefull ?
Also with 0 healing power why do you chose oakheart slave over off-hand training since you have 2 off-hand weapons ? the radious of bonfire it’s very small when untrained.

My build is similar but more focused on critics and bleeds and I love it

In the last couple of days I’ve been receiving a lot of pms asking how I can stealth that many times XD, too many people don’t know about these runes.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Neko.9021

But why do you use Dire instead of Rabid ? you already invested 6 points into skirmishing and been using sharpened edges, why not building enough crit chance to make it really usefull ?
Also with 0 healing power why do you chose oakheart slave over off-hand training since you have 2 off-hand weapons ? the radious of bonfire it’s very small when untrained.

My build is similar but more focused on critics and bleeds and I love it

In the last couple of days I’ve been receiving a lot of pms asking how I can stealth that many times XD, too many people don’t know about these runes.

I still kill people pretty quickly with just Dire gear. Giving up all of that Vitality for extra bleeds doesn’t really seem worth it. The damage with just the base bleeds from traps and weapon skills and Geomancy kills pretty well. The regen from Oakheart Salve is also still decent sustain even with 0 Healing Power. You certainly can take Offhand Training and kill people with the gigantic Bonfire AoE though, which is fine, but my burning trap does that pretty decently already.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Trepidation Lost.3469

Trepidation Lost.3469

Just made trapper ranger with 3 traps, it’s just too slow… even with the war-horn, having a downtime of more than 50% of the time for swiftness just makes this build bad for roaming, unless you have dedicated teammates to give you swiftness, which just doesn’t happen most of the time. The fact the runes don’t boost the traps in anyway, other than make you +33% faster (swiftness) for 3 seconds after throwing a trap means that you’re only good at sticking too and enemy to stick more traps on them. The invisibility also sucks, as the trap triggering undoes this effect…The running away aspect is also terrible as it lasts 3 seconds… and you use your traps in the fight, so more than likely you will only have the burning trap off cool down, and that’s only 3 seconds to escape, unless the trap pros then you’re screwed. No stun breaker, bad condition cleansing aspects, unless you trait for them (which makes you rely on your pets too much) i am disappointed with this build and wish i could get my gold back. Making the standard signet bow dps build is cheaper and more effective for roaming, and can escape much more effectively which is why we see tons of them. If Trapper ranger can become viable, it’s only if they apply a speed bonus to the runes like traveler, or increase the duration of the 33% speed boost to something more along the lines of 9 seconds on trap placement. making the effects imidiate on deployment would also help.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

Just made trapper ranger with 3 traps, it’s just too slow… even with the war-horn, having a downtime of more than 50% of the time for swiftness just makes this build bad for roaming, unless you have dedicated teammates to give you swiftness, which just doesn’t happen most of the time. The fact the runes don’t boost the traps in anyway, other than make you +33% faster (swiftness) for 3 seconds after throwing a trap means that you’re only good at sticking too and enemy to stick more traps on them. The invisibility also sucks, as the trap triggering undoes this effect…The running away aspect is also terrible as it lasts 3 seconds… and you use your traps in the fight, so more than likely you will only have the burning trap off cool down, and that’s only 3 seconds to escape, unless the trap pros then you’re screwed. No stun breaker, bad condition cleansing aspects, unless you trait for them (which makes you rely on your pets too much) i am disappointed with this build and wish i could get my gold back. Making the standard signet bow dps build is cheaper and more effective for roaming, and can escape much more effectively which is why we see tons of them. If Trapper ranger can become viable, it’s only if they apply a speed bonus to the runes like traveler, or increase the duration of the 33% speed boost to something more along the lines of 9 seconds on trap placement. making the effects imidiate on deployment would also help.

u run w 3 traps? no stunbreak? s/d eles can kill u in a single combo, so can mace gs wars, etc

i personally would never roam w/o stunbreak, i use fire /frost traps, and lightning reflexes

usually i swap either ice trap or lightning reflexes for speed signet , and swap it back right away if i am gonna fight smth, even if just npc, u never know when smth gonna atk u

it just sux if some tiff shows up

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

u run w 3 traps? no stunbreak? s/d eles can kill u in a single combo, so can mace gs wars, etc

i personally would never roam w/o stunbreak, i use fire /frost traps, and lightning reflexes

usually i swap either ice trap or lightning reflexes for speed signet , and swap it back right away if i am gonna fight smth, even if just npc, u never know when smth gonna atk u

Take a Bird and a Wolf , or Spider Immob+wolf or Bird(snow owl) + spider (immob) that will shift the Speed Difference and allow you to Trap without much Pressure.
though Some sort of vigor trait or LR is need to avoid the Ports, rushs and whirl type attacks and Large Aoes, you’ll only have the option to dodge/Use Signet of the hunt to boost the wolfs pet swap leap knockdown to stop a attack if you get stunned.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

Take a Bird and a Wolf , or Spider Immob+wolf or Bird(snow owl) + spider (immob) that will shift the Speed Difference and allow you to Trap without much Pressure.
though Some sort of vigor trait or LR is need to avoid the Ports, rushs and whirl type attacks and Large Aoes, you’ll only have the option to dodge/Use Signet of the hunt to boost the wolfs pet swap leap knockdown to stop a attack if you get stunned.

i rly dont care about incombat speed, the speed out of combat rly is bad without signet or runes, cause trapper rangers get swiftness on weap swap

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Swap a trap out for Signet of the hunt when out of combat. If youre with the zerg should be lots of other swiftness around, actually just need one more ranger with warhorn. Keeping RAO in elite slot is good for emergencys (unless youre norn and can get the leopard form for true super speed! )

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Today I’ve played trapper with 0 6 4 0 4 and intimidation training and its extremely strong in duels.

You have tons of soft + hard cc, you can kite for days.

I love it.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Guess I’ll never try them. What a stupid decision.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

i rly dont care about incombat speed, the speed out of combat rly is bad without signet or runes, cause trapper rangers get swiftness on weap swap

4-9secs on swiftness may help you but the Target will also have Swiftness.
using hunt in rotaion with your weapon swaps is much more effective than having one source of movement speed boost.
ps look at my other post i do know what i talk about , though i don’t do Pvp i use to be a Heavy Alliance battle commander so i have my fair share of Pvp Experience.

the out of combat speed is just the weakness of using a trapper set since your stuck to weapon based movement, unless you take sword main and do the leaps with skill 2, leap away , detarget about face and leap away works out of combat.

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

It’s truly amazing as just couple changes here and there with couple new things can born so many new options for profession in this game.

I’m still getting gear I need for Remorseless hybrid trapper with these runes.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I think maybe they are meant to go with hybrid build. On full condition they seem much weaker than krait.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

WvW Trapper Rune Build!

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRBHhdG2JjK0KoFsgFLw1CCOEqWbAzAoA+2EHrvcoClIB-TZhBABAcCAm4JAEeZAe2f4gDCAA

lol it just could actualy make a return… but how about running it with traps so to spam stealth? i mean pet doesnt even break it

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

(edited by kyubi.3620)