WvWvW LB/SB Ranger defeats DD/SB Thief in 1v1

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Imagine a LB/SB Ranger that can actually fight and defeat a DD/SB Thief! Sounds impossible right?

That’s what I thought as well.

But this Thief kept roaming around our sole remaining T3 tower in the Desolation Borderlands and I just thought ‘I may be just a little Ranger with little hope at defeating a Thief but I’m not going to cower in my keep’ and ran in to meet this Thief in a David versus Goliath battle (where I fully expected to die).

I want to thank the Thief player for this moment in making my Ranger actually feel powerful for the first time after dying so many times at the hands of Thief characters! This fight will always have a place in my heart.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

I do it all the time.

Thief Opens, Protect Me, Knock Back, Barrage, Kill.

S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Yeah thieves are pretty easy, all you need is protect me or traited signet of stone and you should win most 1v1’s. Mesmers and guardians are a lot harder for me, and eles too.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

i kill thieves sometimes but the good one stealth and jump around every few seconds and after i blow my CDs they can kill me easy

the biggest problem is that they can use our stupid pets to stealth
i can dodge and avoid it but the pet will be there to provide advantage for the thief

SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

You need to do the opposite and get them to blow their initiative. Knock them around and Cc them while you can see them and pop SoS or protect me when they stealth and you know they’re coming at you with a backstab. My main issue with thieves isn’t so much them killing me, as it is them slipping away in stealth before I can down them.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: SunnyJay.5276

SunnyJay.5276

i kill every class all the time if it is a 1v1 :)
with this new update my build has become insane. never die, and pet never dies either.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBlYDbkoKxOyyyi1OQ0UwJJ9e0qY1eniR5/Te1jWB;TsAgzCmo6x0joHbPuek9saYsx+DA
Your welcome :)
p.s. you can trade the bear for the lynx if you want, but the lynx will die sometimes

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

Daemon

their initiative regen is high even w/o traits that increase it additionaly
i can block their backstab using GS then he stealths again and again and again
btw how do u CC something u do not see at all ?
U can use SoS and protect me then what ? there is cooldown on it…
I beat thieves mainly because they think im like any other and that they can beat me in 2-3 seconds the problem is that any thief that uses his brain a lil bit atleast can escape me at any time and even if i survive theres no way to down him

SFR

in Ranger

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

I do it all the time.

This ^

My main is a Thief (I’m just on these forums to get some ideas for my new ranger) and I can tell you my biggest weakness is being denied my opener and then knocked down or knocked back. A thief only has one skill with stability (Dagger Storm) and it’s an elite on a long cooldown. If I’m in berserker gear in a crit damage build, once you knock me down I am as good as dead. Immobilize also works but not as effective as a knock back.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I do it all the time.

This ^

My main is a Thief (I’m just on these forums to get some ideas for my new ranger) and I can tell you my biggest weakness is being denied my opener and then knocked down or knocked back. A thief only has one skill with stability (Dagger Storm) and it’s an elite on a long cooldown. If I’m in berserker gear in a crit damage build, once you knock me down I am as good as dead. Immobilize also works but not as effective as a knock back.

That’s cute and all, but Shadow Step> Stun +Knockback. It’s a terrible thief who doesn’t have Shadow Step and Shadow Refuge to reset a fight in his favor.