Wyverns - Electric or Fire?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zoe.4830

Zoe.4830

Q:

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about the new HoT pet, the Wyvern. The two fire and electric ones seem pretty cool but I would like to know which of them are the best/most effective in PvE, I’ve seen each of their skills and I’m a bit confused as to if the fire pulse damage or straight up electric damage is better, if anyone could help that’d be great.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

A:

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about the new HoT pet, the Wyvern. The two fire and electric ones seem pretty cool but I would like to know which of them are the best/most effective in PvE, I’ve seen each of their skills and I’m a bit confused as to if the fire pulse damage or straight up electric damage is better, if anyone could help that’d be great.

If your goal is damage/pet survivability than you’ll want the fire wyvern, it also works quite nicely if you have blasts for might, and if you take beastly warden since it taunts enemies to stand in the fire field and attack it while it’s evading.

However, the electric wyvern is generally more useful in PvE because wyverns as a whole are tanky so you don’t need to worry about them dying so the fire evade isn’t super useful, additionally the Electric Charge is a very strong CC and just ruins breakbars, making it very useful in group PvE content.

Additionally Wyvern damage as a whole is on the lower end, so you’ll likely take a squishier higher damage pet instead (Cats are highest sustained vs immobile enemies).

TLDR: Electric Wyvern is more useful in the meta because it does a lot of CC with its F2, and Wyvern have a low damage output so their CC is what matters. However, if you don’t care about that the Fire Wyvern imo is way cooler, provides a fire field, and does more damage overall than the electric one, and still has decent CC due to the Wing Buffet.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Zoe.4830

If your goal is damage/pet survivability than you’ll want the fire wyvern, it also works quite nicely if you have blasts for might, and if you take beastly warden since it taunts enemies to stand in the fire field and attack it while it’s evading.

However, the electric wyvern is generally more useful in PvE because wyverns as a whole are tanky so you don’t need to worry about them dying so the fire evade isn’t super useful, additionally the Electric Charge is a very strong CC and just ruins breakbars, making it very useful in group PvE content.

Additionally Wyvern damage as a whole is on the lower end, so you’ll likely take a squishier higher damage pet instead (Cats are highest sustained vs immobile enemies).

TLDR: Electric Wyvern is more useful in the meta because it does a lot of CC with its F2, and Wyvern have a low damage output so their CC is what matters. However, if you don’t care about that the Fire Wyvern imo is way cooler, provides a fire field, and does more damage overall than the electric one, and still has decent CC due to the Wing Buffet.

So Fire Wyvern for Dmg and Electric Wyvern for Tank…

(edited by Zoe.4830)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

They can both tank, electric Wyvern for shut down/interrupt, since it leaves a lightning field you can also daze if you leap at an enemy through the field it leaves IE sword 2, GS 3

in Ranger

Zoe.4830

They can both tank, electric Wyvern for shut down/interrupt, since it leaves a lightning field you can also daze if you leap at an enemy through the field it leaves IE sword 2, GS 3

Ahhhhh so Fire for dmg and Electric for interrupt?

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

You got it!

Just remember fire Wyvern damage isn’t the HIGHEST pet damage, but it’s not too bad and it is AoE.

in Ranger

Zoe.4830

You got it!

Just remember fire Wyvern damage isn’t the HIGHEST pet damage, but it’s not too bad and it is AoE.

Thanks for the input, it really helped, you sure know your stuff!

(edited by Zoe.4830)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

No problem! Have fun with the wyverns!

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Worht noting that Fire Wyverns F2 has a very long cast time and Electirc Wyverns F2 is currently pretty wonky and doesn’t hit the enemy if used when the wyvern is right next to it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Correction on that. Wyvern damage is upper-middle end. They fall behind felines, bristleback, and F2-spamming Hawk & Eagle.

Lower end are Hyena and Bears, which Wyverns deal nearly 3x as much DPS as those pets while providing excellent cleave. By no means are they lower end.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Correction on that. Wyvern damage is upper-middle end. They fall behind felines, bristleback, and F2-spamming Hawk & Eagle.

Lower end are Hyena and Bears, which Wyverns deal nearly 3x as much DPS as those pets while providing excellent cleave. By no means are they lower end.

Oh wow, that Wyvern buff helped them out way more than I thought then, because they used to hover just about where canines did.

in Ranger

Posted by: PzTnT.7198

PzTnT.7198

Basically the wyverns sucked before because they couldn’t hit anything even remotely moving. The same patch that fixed them broke drakes tho, and those aren’t fixed still, 6 months later.

If you are reading this you have finished reading my post and are now reading my signature.