Yet another Ranger nerf - SOW

in Ranger

Posted by: ScaryCharlie.3824

ScaryCharlie.3824

Q:

I am not sure why everytime I settle on a build for wvw that works for me it is nerfed. Is anyone else seeing the OBVIOUS dmg nerf to Rangers like I am? This has literally went on for 5 years since launch.
The major gripe I have had for Ranger/Druid class has always been lack of sudden burst and stabs. The nerf to SoW really really stings.
Rampage as One already got a subtle nerf with the cd now Sow gets revamped and I really don’t get it.
Anyone else extremely bummed?
The key to this game in wvw is quick strikes and stabs for stomps. Thx Anet but nothanks…
Please respond whether you agree or don’t because I need to know how to kill thieves quickly now and am open for suggestions…

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

On the bright side they buffed hammer damage,
For revenant ;-)

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

SotP wasn’t nerfed by the cooldown so much as the revert back to a single boon application that can just be corrupted.

To be honest, the new wild sig is probably better for wvw. An AoE field is better than entangle’s vines and the extra crit damage will make up for losing steady focus to slot brutish seals.

We can also now purge 4 conditions with trolls using the fall and WK traits. We lost some stab but came out stronger.

Don’t forget that we are also getting Dolyak Stance with soulbeast so it’s not that big of a loss.

Losing those HP ticks for druid generation was probably the worst that came of the change.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

ScaryCharlie.3824

I agree Sub. And I always try to look at the brightside of Lemons in life Justine. But I really need the stab because of the interrupts while I try to stomp. that’s the big loss for me and my playstyle. I guess I will have to look hard at the Soulbeast. Also condi management was not a major problem for me at this time. I will adapt I guess. Just bummed for now…
Anyone else have any idea for stab and burst except for the Yak Stance?

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I agree Sub. And I always try to look at the brightside of Lemons in life Justine. But I really need the stab because of the interrupts while I try to stomp. that’s the big loss for me and my playstyle. I guess I will have to look hard at the Soulbeast. Also condi management was not a major problem for me at this time. I will adapt I guess. Just bummed for now…
Anyone else have any idea for stab and burst except for the Yak Stance?

I’m guessing it will come with either the Soulbeast’s traits, beast-fusion skills, or both. Also, stealth-stomp with LB 3 is a thing. And activating a well-timed traited glyph (like glyph of equality), can blind a downed person just before they use a cc.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

ScaryCharlie.3824

NSP pride! For now I am just running Sic Em. thieves and Mesmer abound

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

On the brightside the active effect for SoW looks very nice

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Savvy.3258

Savvy.3258

The very concept of stability and its lack thereof is illconceived in this game, to be honest. The very concept of downed state in pvp is ill conceived as well.

The problem with stability is that you get knock around like a ragdoll if you don’t have it, yet professions that rely (or would rely) on some form of cc to stay alive are neutered if they face an enemy with stability. It replaces reactive gameplay with “stab-lol” gameplay. In my opinion, stability should be reworked to be a passive, reactive trait to avoid chain cc. You gain say 5s of stability if you are hit with any cc, when that cc ends. This is unccoruptible/etc in the same way stealth is. There can still be traits and abilities for it but of shorter duration.

That said, ranger has some of the worse stability in the game and taking both sources out in back to back patches is unjustifiable. Even if we gain dolyak and whatever, whatever happened to the oh so treasured build diversity angle/pr line?

And yeah, this was a great ability to take as power druid: damage, stability, passive avatar power generation and some active gameplay in terms of timing the use of this ability. Instead we get a passive set and forget ability that will be a must have regardless because 5%+ dps. I’m against changes that dumb down the game, this is one such change.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

LB rangers got a huge buff in the form of 6 sec unblockable.
Rangers stability options are bad as we don’t have refreshing stability skills. The boon rip will be horrible on POF, so I would never take 60 sec CD stability option with casting time. For soulbeast Dolyak is much better stability source, for druids is CA 5.

in Ranger

Posted by: The Flaminator.3879

The Flaminator.3879

The 6 sec of unblockable is pretty useless if you get tossed around all the time in WvWvW because you have no stability.
Just wanted to say that I never really used SOW as there are other utility skills that are just better for my weird play style(tanky core ranger which also got even harder nerfed once again).

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

The 6 sec of unblockable is pretty useless if you get tossed around all the time in WvWvW because you have no stability.
Just wanted to say that I never really used SOW as there are other utility skills that are just better for my weird play style(tanky core ranger which also got even harder nerfed once again).

If you’re a LB ranger you shouldn’t really be in range of people being throwing you around.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I play on BG and it’s not that difficult to avoid the pain train if you are using a LB. It’s also not even that big of a deal if you manage to get in a group with a guard.

Getting run over isn’t the problem we have, it’s dealing with 20 guards all using wall of reflection to render our best zerg weapon useless along with too many classes having cheap block channels that allow them to retreat into the zerg when you try to burn them down.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

ScaryCharlie.3824

I appreciate those who weighed in and I thank you. I don’t roll too much with zerg simply because it’s a bit lag when I do. Plus as was mentioned seems like everyone is running reflects. Guards, Ele, Engi, Mesmer, Warrior, even thief sometimes.
Did anyone notice that Signet of Renewal is pretty lame now too as it’s passive does not cleanse condi over time? Or am I blind? I see the regen but not a condi removal passive.

in Ranger

ScaryCharlie.3824

Oh and well Said Savvy. Even when I use Hunter shot or sword leap into smokescale cloud to work the invis I still am subject to being ping-ponged around and can’t get the stomp. It makes it rough. RaO is the only stab I have…

in Ranger

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I appreciate those who weighed in and I thank you. I don’t roll too much with zerg simply because it’s a bit lag when I do. Plus as was mentioned seems like everyone is running reflects. Guards, Ele, Engi, Mesmer, Warrior, even thief sometimes.
Did anyone notice that Signet of Renewal is pretty lame now too as it’s passive does not cleanse condi over time? Or am I blind? I see the regen but not a condi removal passive.

The condi removal passive was a joke. The regen works slightly (Not much) better, but it now has a shorter cooldown, allowing you to actually cleanse conditions more often. The passive usually just left you clearing a random bleed from a Power build (They happen), or Vulnerability from a stray warrior Greatsword AA, leaving you helpless against the later Condi Bomb.

Also – your pet won’t die now from the transfer.

in Ranger

ScaryCharlie.3824

Yeah I haven’t had much time with trying it out. I guess mostly because as a druid I condi wipe pretty well already. also run some gen sigils for transfer in wvw. RIP gen sigs in spvp.