Zephyr's Speed: Beastmastery suggestion

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Can you tell me why it is on grandmaster level? No, you can’t.

I haven’t seen any ranger use this trait since it got moved to grandmaster level.
The problem is that this trait would be OP if one of the other professions had it, but it isn’t on ranger and here is why:

When swapping pets, depending on melee or ranged, problems arise for both types.
For melee pets, the ranged loses damage output because the pet has to run to the target. If the ranger is melee, the pet has to run a shorter distance, but the ranger is already taking a risk by being melee based.

Ranged pets suffer the less, but have a completely different problem. They can be used as shield that block enemy projectiles and let’s the ranged freely attack the enemy from range. When swapped, the pet is repositioned which means the ranger has to take damage while (s)he repositions. For melee rangers, the problem is that the pet is in melee range when swapped, which causes cleaves and AoE skills to hit the pet too. This also required the ranger to reposition himself to ease the pet.

Being able to choose two pets can be a difficult decision. Any good ranger knows why these decisions are difficult to make.
Should one pair an offensive pet with a defensive one? Should one take one ranged pet as defensive and a feline as offensive? What will happen with survivability when the ranged pet is swapped for the feline? Maybe a canine is a good idea, but is the ranger able to guarantee (through control) the knockdown leap will hit?

We not only benefit from Zephyr’s Speed but lose on it too. When swapping, we risk putting the swap timer on 60 seconds because the offensive pet dies. Then take two defensive pets? you might say… That is no solution, because taking two defensive pets means less damage done and those two are most likely chosen because the ranger’s survivability on it’s own is low because of build choice.

My suggestion is to move the trait to master level. To make room, Mighty Swap and Vigorous Training can be merged (these two merged into one trait would give good party support ability to ranger and also increase the ranger’s survivability through the pet, but that is another topic.)
Intimidation, Stability Training and Rending Attacks can then be buffed slightly to make them compete with the new traits.

A new grandmaster trait will need to be created after the changes. This trait should be something that makes it really worth taking.
Gives place for one of:
-Active condition cleanse (on swap)
-Big stat bonus to pets (extra 150 in every stat?)
-Pets steal life for ranger (so much life that it would be worth to use movement impending skills to the pets benefit)
-Increase attack range for pets (100 to melee, 300 to ranged pets?)
-and many more that I can’t come up with by me’self

Thanks for reading!

TL;DR
Move ZS to Master, merge existing master traits (which increased ranger’s party support), buff rest to make them compete with ZS, make new GM trait that adds something the ranger lacks.

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I would like a +20% damage boost to pet for a grandmaster trait to replace ZS. Just so that BM might get revived. The ranger tank while the pet dps.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

I use it all the time for my BM build. If you use it at the right time it can work wonders. Swap pets, activate rampage as one, AA with quickness, watch as your pet gets 18+ stacks of might and proceeds to beat the crap out of your target. Also using mighty swap is nice too, throw in sigil of battle. Might stacks! Might stacks everywhere!!

Also runeblade, idk what you mean by “BM getting revived” still works wonders for me =p

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

in Ranger

Posted by: kai.4629

kai.4629

i have to agree with OP. zs is not a grandmaster trait especially after the quickness nerf.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

@Runeblade
Beastmastery will not get revived by a lousy 20% damage boost to the pet. Pet is not only DPS.

@Warriorjrd
There is one problem with that. Pets do not respond immediately after swapping which will waste about 1 second of quickness. Even though it’s nice, it works only in PvE. Any good player in WvW or PvP will notice the pet’s damage output and start avoiding it. If not, well, then you most likely didn’t even need the pet to win.

@Kai
I would understand why it’s GM if quickness was a 100% boost (that would requal 6s of 50% boost) because that would let us use a lot of skills quickly to spike a target. Imagine around 1k hits with the shortbow with 100% boost…. no, that would be overpowered (that’s why it was nerfed)

@Anet
You guys said you make small changes to find the sweet spot, not huge changes that could turn things upside down! What you did with ZS was to move it from the bottom to the highest possible spot on the traitline and then left it there.

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

@Runeblade
Beastmastery will not get revived by a lousy 20% damage boost to the pet. Pet is not only DPS.

20% damage boost is actually lot. Especially combine this with Pet Prowess. 30% more damage on crit.

Pet is only dps, everything else attached is a bonus.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

It was a knee-jerk reaction to many ranger regardless of build focus taking 5 points in wilderness survival and 5 and beastmastery, both of which have been changed/weakened. Honestly they should have left it as a 5 point after changing quickness and see how it played out, but no…

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

@Kai
I would understand why it’s GM if quickness was a 100% boost (that would requal 6s of 50% boost) because that would let us use a lot of skills quickly to spike a target. Imagine around 1k hits with the shortbow with 100% boost…. no, that would be overpowered (that’s why it was nerfed)

Short bow as far as I know still does not interact with quickness correctly and has not since the animation ‘fix’.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.