a warm cup of antiranger hate...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

So rangers suck. Anybody knows it and no respectable player would wear a ranger. And if you happen to log your ranger, there is hardly a group where you are not told by one or more morons that you suck just because you are a ranger.

I’m just wondering

1. where this really started and how can you really tell that a class or a player has a low damage without dps parser?
People say that a thief or a war with a bow does more damage than a ranger. How can anyone prove this claim?

2. if rangers are improved, and would perform as a welcome (ranged) dpsers, how long it takes before the antiranger prejudice dies?

in Ranger

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

So rangers suck. Anybody knows it and no respectable player would wear a ranger. And if you happen to log your ranger, there is hardly a group where you are not told by one or more morons that you suck just because you are a ranger.

I’m just wondering

1. where this really started and how can you really tell that a class or a player has a low damage without dps parser?
People say that a thief or a war with a bow does more damage than a ranger. How can anyone prove this claim?

2. if rangers are improved, and would perform as a welcome (ranged) dpsers, how long it takes before the antiranger prejudice dies?

1. They do tests.

2. Let me consult my crystal ball.

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

in Ranger

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Top Tier in Dungeons, openworld pve, openworld farming, wvw roaming, spvp.
suck at wvw zergs.
top tier damage, top tier burst, quite ok utility, tanky enough, strongest downed mode, strongest underwater combat, strongest ranged dps.
but overall little weird design.
hmmmmm dunno.. guess people like to whine?

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

There are several reasons rangers have such a bad reputation both based on predjudice aswell as more or less factual inadequacies with the class itself, pets pulling aggro all over the place was one problem early that the ranger could to little to prevent, less access to do good burst damage, less access to good party boons etc, a well played ranger can be one of the top dps classes today though so it’s not just lacking damage it’s more that many others have comparable dps while also bringing massive party boons and also some fights are very pet unfriendly aswell the same goes for the large scale wvw fights.

I think alot of early problems for rangers still linger on in peoples memory but also maybe that many new rangers coming to dungeons the first times will come with their longbow and bear pet for everything because it works so great everywhere else in pve while in a dungeon it’s rarely the best option, just some reasons there are many more.

in Ranger

Fext.3614

1. They do tests.

What kind of tests? I have a war, guard and a ranger at 80, mixed asc and exo zerger gear (yeah at the guard, too). What test shall I perform to see how exactly my ranger suck at, well, everything?

in Ranger

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

1. They do tests.

What kind of tests? I have a war, guard and a ranger at 80, mixed asc and exo zerger gear (yeah at the guard, too). What test shall I perform to see how exactly my ranger suck at, well, everything?

1. You seem salty.
2. You can do the math given your stats and damage. It is all there listed. Likewise, you can see exactly how much damage you do in the damage chat. There are many ways to see how much damage you do.

Ranger does not suck at everything.

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

suck at wvw zergs.
top tier damage, top tier burst, quite ok utility, tanky enough, strongest downed mode, strongest underwater combat, strongest ranged dps.

I love ranger, but you’re being fairly biased towards them right now.

Dungeons – Mid tier ONLY if running frost spirit + spotter with sword. Pet’s better since band aid buff but still inconsistent.

Open World PvE is incredibly easy and does not really count, neither does farming.

WvW Roaming- Top Tier definitely

sPvP – Top Tier but ONLY if running spirits. Other builds, while certainly good 1v1 and small team specs, don’t offer enough team support.

WvW Zergs – Bottom.

Overall DPS- Mid Tier, depending on how consistent the pet is.

Burst – Bottom. Only decent if zerk and signet specc’d with GS, but even then it is very unrepeatable and easily dodged.

Utility – Strong if traited, very bad if not.

Any class can be tanky.

Very strong downed mode.

Strong underwater combat but it is somewhat irrelevant since it’s unbalanced and uncommon.

Strong ranged DPS.

Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Soilder.3607)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ltomato.8649

Ltomato.8649

Here’s one test: My friend leveled an engi to 80, picked up Rampagers exotic gear, used boon duration runes and grenade traits, and did more damage with nades than my longbow ranger using full ascended zerker with ruby orbs and 3 versatile mighty infusions, 2 mighty wvw infusions , max range.

That’s one test.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Here’s one test: My friend leveled an engi to 80, picked up Rampagers exotic gear, used boon duration runes and grenade traits, and did more damage with nades than my longbow ranger using full ascended zerker with ruby orbs and 3 versatile mighty infusions, 2 mighty wvw infusions , max range.

That’s one test.

That’s one worthless test. Sorry to say. You need to do timed tests against Veteran Karkas in southsun or the champion drake near the arena. The first test is finding a build to beat them, the second test is improving the time it takes. Most people do damage tests against the giants in cursed shore, or other enemies that don’t fight back.

Once you’ve tuned your build, you should retest with a friend or two to see how your build pairs with other classes… As an example, you need to stay about 6ft behind warriors and guardians, etc etc. I mainly use LB and axe/warhorn for fractals 50, and even bears for some fights (say it ain’t so!). Swords are great as well for some things. WvW is great fun as well… Full zerker gear on ranger is garbage. the second attribute of a ranger’s power trait line (condition duration) should tell you this.

Your bow attacks spam conditions through enemies with your condition damage multiplier, tagging everything touched. Stand behind a guardian and see what happens.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

Archon.6480

1. They do tests.

They do worthless beginner tests, at best 1v1 against slow dumb giants in cursed shores. They don’t consider class pairing, either. Combo fields rule advanced play and require combo finsishers (blast, leap, and projectile). Rangers become powerhouses when paired with Guardians and warriors. The 3 have a real nice synergy. You need to stay alive within 6 – 8 feet of them. Challenging and rewarding.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in Ranger

Posted by: Detharos.3157

Detharos.3157

DISCLAIMER: ALL OF THE BELOW VS. NON-MOVING TARGETS. EXPECT FREQUENT 30% DAMAGE OUTPUT REDUCTION AGAINST ANYTHING HITTING MOVEMENT KEYS WHEN USING MELEE PETS.

Top Tier in Dungeons, openworld pve.. mobs don’t kite or strafe, openworld farming same as any class, wvw roaming against players with no skill, spvp against players with no skill and players confined to tiny capture points enabling pets to hit targets more frequently..
suck at wvw zergs.
top tier damage and burst if your pet is hitting its enemies as much as you are which is never if they hit WSAD skills with any frequency,, quite ok survival and 2 decent shouts when traited right, tanky enough, takes the longest to spike in some fights which makes little to no difference anyways, strongest underwater combat which is a practical joke, strongest ranged dps(again if your pet is actually hitting its opponents and not suffering to kites, dead or on passive).

Fixed that for you.

Dathaul, 80 Melee Ranger
Ferguson’s Crossing server.

in Ranger

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

suck at wvw zergs.

Dungeons – Mid tier ONLY if running frost spirit + spotter with sword. Pet’s better since band aid buff but still inconsistent.

Open World PvE is incredibly easy and does not really count, neither does farming.

sPvP – Top Tier but ONLY if running spirits. Other builds, while certainly good 1v1 and small team specs, don’t offer enough team support.

WvW Zergs – Bottom.

Burst – Bottom. Only decent if zerk and signet specc’d with GS, but even then it is very unrepeatable and easily dodged.

Any class can be tanky.

Very strong downed mode.

Strong underwater combat but it is somewhat irrelevant since it’s unbalanced and uncommon.

Strong ranged DPS.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

The hate is never going to go away, the ranger equivalent in other MMOs are usually hated as well. (Usually for lack of control over pet or basic understanding of their class).

(edited by TurtleDragon.3108)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

I too got a ranger, warrior and 80 of everything except a thief and engie. You don’t need to do all these tests to see that a warrior with a LB will do more dmg than a ranger with one. Just go out and do events and stuff and you can just see the numbers. It’s not science or anything but you get the general idea. I love my ranger and hes fun to play but honestly their ranged dmg is pretty crappy when compared to a warriors ranged dmg.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

in Ranger

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

People are idiots, get over it.
Haters gonna hate.

in Ranger

Fext.3614

Haters gonna hate.

As long as you are kicked from most groups without notice, it is hard to get over it. I don’t mind being hated. But, compared to other classes, some parts of the game are out of limits for you, as long as you play a ranger.

Yeah you can keep trying and trying and hope for a group which would not reject a ranger. A lot of fun indeed. Or you can go and roll a war. And this means that rangers needs fixing.

The elitist just do what they usualy do, only in GW2 they use some absolutely stupid critetia since they don’t have their dps parsers…

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Haters gonna hate.

As long as you are kicked from most groups without notice, it is hard to get over it. I don’t mind being hated. But, compared to other classes, some parts of the game are out of limits for you, as long as you play a ranger.

Yeah you can keep trying and trying and hope for a group which would not reject a ranger. A lot of fun indeed. Or you can go and roll a war. And this means that rangers needs fixing.

The elitist just do what they usualy do, only in GW2 they use some absolutely stupid critetia since they don’t have their dps parsers…

You could always just form your own groups or join a dungeon guild. I have 0 problems PUGing any PvE content in this game as a ranger.

Rangers do need fixing, but it’s not for this reason. The general player base is very uninformed and full of stupid players.

I’ll give you a hint, if you aren’t already, run the meta build for rangers. If you aren’t already, it’s no wonder why you’re seeing so much ranger hate.

in Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Read this and then figure out why people hesitate to take rangers to dungeons.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/PvE-Why-do-YOU-dislike-Rangers-in-dungeons/first#content

(Hint: It’s not because of the class itself.)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gorwald.6170

Gorwald.6170

Fun to see this

Too many rangers using bows and too many rangers that cannot control pets. If I was seeing spotter and frost spirit around, I would be ecstatic, but I have literally never run into a pug ranger using those

So basically, because people want to play the way they like, they are kicked from group…lol

“yeah just act like a stupid afk buff bot please and your welcome”

Karpal – Augury rock (French server)
Ranger 80 – Warrior 80 – Mesmer 80 – Necromancer 80 – Guardian 80

in Ranger

Posted by: Chabo.7498

Chabo.7498

So basically, because people want to play the way they like, they are kicked from group…lol

“yeah just act like a stupid afk buff bot please and your welcome”

Yes, when you play in a party with 4 other people you need to contribute towards the party success. Play how you want rangers will ignore all the fantastic traits and utility that makes the class strong in parties and instead go for the selfish bearbow 1200 range strategy which contributes very little.

Its why if I bring my ranger or pug a ranger in dungeons I always gear/trait check to make sure they are using something that is actually useful to the group.

Roaming/Raid Mesmer

(edited by Chabo.7498)

in Ranger

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

Read this and then figure out why people hesitate to take rangers to dungeons.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/PvE-Why-do-YOU-dislike-Rangers-in-dungeons/first#content

(Hint: It’s not because of the class itself.)

Yeah this post pretty much covers it. Although the ranger may be lacking in certain areas its pretty much the fault of uninformed/misinformed casual “xXLegolasXx” rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

WvW Zergs – Bottom.

Any class can be tanky.

Very strong downed mode.

Strong ranged DPS.

All very accurate. I think a part of the problem is that people are using Rangers where their weaknesses are most prevalent and their strengths go unnoticed.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Fext.3614

This is all nice, but you just can’t show your spotter or frost spirit, because they will kick you as soon as they see the ranger icon.

Also, you can indeed try to start your own group – but from my experience people were not joining, until I relogged to war.

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Also, you can indeed try to start your own group – but from my experience people were not joining, until I relogged to war.

You must have not been trying very hard, or playing at off peak hours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCWHb8JamU
(Outdated, but still relevant to the new lfg system)

In my experience, groups that auto kick based on class or AP are not worth joining. Most of them don’t understand what rangers can do, and there’s nothing you can do about it but try a different group. There are also those who do understand the value of a ranger, but do not want to risk PUGing with one on the off chance that he knows how to play his class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Old Bones.5140

Old Bones.5140

Rangers are not totally bad. It is the people that play them.

I run mine in PVE and WvW. Done dungeons, Fractals and whatever I can get myself into. Some is with guildies, some pugs mixed in. I have not really had any problems.

A few of us run as roamers in WvW together. It could be 2 maybe 3 running together flipping camps, spying or whatever. I will even run as a commander at times and stay alive longer because of my play style. I switch it up, depending on what I am doing. I just love getting into towers with 20+ knocking on the door and trying to stop me.

Then again, ET isn’t hardcore and kitteny for the most part.

in Ranger

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

I’m pretty sure this was a joke anyway but even so, pretty sad if the only way rangers can burst that high is to use a race specific elite.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

in Ranger

Posted by: apocalypso.4895

apocalypso.4895

I’m pretty sure this was a joke anyway but even so, pretty sad if the only way rangers can burst that high is to use a race specific elite.

But it’s not, we can burst even higher than that without that elite. > proud human ranger <

Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

I’m just wondering

But it is true, I made a ranger character, I got to lvl 45 and it’s pretty clear that there is absolutely no objective reason to play a ranger over a warrior or any other class, they don’t do anything better than another class.

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

I’m just wondering

But it is true, I made a ranger character, I got to lvl 45 and it’s pretty clear that there is absolutely no objective reason to play a ranger over a warrior or any other class, they don’t do anything better than another class.

Spotter and Frost Spirit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

I’m just wondering

Except provide a unique 14% party wide DPS boost and 33% uptime on protection with spirits.

in Ranger

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

I’m pretty confident that the people who hate rangers most are rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kiran.2705

Kiran.2705

Came back from a 1 year hiatus to see that nothing has changed for the Ranger class. I am epically sad, to say the least. Guess it’s another year of hiatus.

in Ranger

Archon.6480

I’m just wondering

Um, unlimited party Fury? Projectile and Blast finishers… Best ranged damage? Best water field? Or do you think you can face stomp every foe in dungeons and fractals… that will go over really well on fractals 40+ and 50+.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in Ranger

Fext.3614

I’m just wondering

Um, unlimited party Fury? Projectile and Blast finishers… Best ranged damage? Best water field? Or do you think you can face stomp every foe in dungeons and fractals… that will go over really well on fractals 40+ and 50+.

AND you can run into a 6k+ ap ranger who, after being politely asked for Spotter, politely asks back what it is.