be cool if Druid could shapeshift

in Ranger

Posted by: wasichu.7524

wasichu.7524

I would like to see druid be able to shapeshift into our pets form to become one. That would be a neat elite skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

I remember a few months back (has it been over a year maybe? idk?) when we had the CDI for rangers, someone suggested that pets be placed as something similar to what Facets are for Revenants, but for different pet types. The devs seemed really interested in it to the point where they made a completely different CDI for it.
Look at what a druid typically is i can see that happening…

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Elite Glyphs that change forms based on which Aspect you use the elite glyph with

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

My ranger can already shapeshift, sometimes she turns into a pancake when she falls off from a cliff.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I could see an elite glyph that transforms the druid into a nature spirit depending on our aspect.

That is as far as druid shapeshifting might go, though. Druids in Tyria are people who gave up their mortal body to become spirits. Turning into animals would make no sense thematically.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I could see an elite glyph that transforms the druid into a nature spirit depending on our aspect.

That is as far as druid shapeshifting might go, though. Druids in Tyria are people who gave up their mortal body to become spirits. Turning into animals would make no sense thematically.

It could make sense thematically, it’s not like we have much lore on Druids, for all we know turning into a nature spirit is the highest form of transformation for Druids. There is absolutely nothing in game that says Druids CANT shapeshift, just that they DID become nature spirits

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I doubt the shapeshift thing will happen I do think the control your pets might happen if you watch wooden potatoes theories it is quite interesting and very possible. The thing is guild wars 2 is not trying to be like wow or everquest 1 or 2 so their druid will need to be different.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I doubt the shapeshift thing will happen I do think the control your pets might happen if you watch wooden potatoes theories it is quite interesting and very possible. The thing is guild wars 2 is not trying to be like wow or everquest 1 or 2 so their druid will need to be different.

If Anet is trying to go for the high fantasy Druid like WP was suggesting, then we will get shapeshifting since that has ALWAYS been a key point of Druids in fantasy. It all depends on whether or not Anet is going full on spell casting or if we are going to totally embrace high fantasy Druid.

And judging by how close GW2 ranger is to DnD ranger/Druid, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if our elite glyph was a shape shifting skill.

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

If Anet is trying to go for the high fantasy Druid like WP was suggesting, then we will get shapeshifting since that has ALWAYS been a key point of Druids in fantasy. It all depends on whether or not Anet is going full on spell casting or if we are going to totally embrace high fantasy Druid.

And judging by how close GW2 ranger is to DnD ranger/Druid, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if our elite glyph was a shape shifting skill.

Your only dreaming at this point, the point was mmorpgs try not to copy each other in classes as little as possible when it comes to western mmorpgs, and this isnt dnd and if you want to be technical dnd druids had far more then just shapeshifting they could control some of the elements, and even shapeshift into some them, regardless of druid origins of dnd it does not mean shapeshifting is likely, guild wars 2 tries to make the classes more unique then other mmos anyways so shapeshifting is not likely.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Your only dreaming at this point, the point was mmorpgs try not to copy each other in classes as little as possible when it comes to western mmorpgs, and this isnt dnd and if you want to be technical dnd druids had far more then just shapeshifting they could control some of the elements, and even shapeshift into some them, regardless of druid origins of dnd it does not mean shapeshifting is likely, guild wars 2 tries to make the classes more unique then other mmos anyways so shapeshifting is not likely.

Yes, because Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Thief, engineerand Necromancer are so much more unique than your stereotypical Warrior, Paladin, Ranger/Hunter, rogue, engineer/tinker and stereotypical dark magic user.

The only prof in the game that is even doing something different from the stereotypical RPG classes is Mesmer, who is using the enchanter/illusionist thing which is almost NEVER seen in anything, and ele who is not only capable of using earth and air magic (very rare for most MMOs), but they also use ALL the elements instead of just specializing in one.

Anet isn’t reinventing the wheel, and they’re not even remotely pretending to, they’re just taking the same wheel and putting their own fancy decal onto it. Just because they’re trying their own thing doesn’t mean Druid won’t shapeshift, or that it won’t use magic (it’s already been established they will), they’ll probably end up shapeshifting into nature spirit type of things instead of animals, and use a mix of martial with magic. They won’t stray too far from the established theme or else they risk angering people who want to play that archetype, but that won’t stop them from tweaking it a little.

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

Yes, because Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Thief, engineerand Necromancer are so much more unique than your stereotypical Warrior, Paladin, Ranger/Hunter, rogue, engineer/tinker and stereotypical dark magic user.

The only prof in the game that is even doing something different from the stereotypical RPG classes is Mesmer, who is using the enchanter/illusionist thing which is almost NEVER seen in anything, and ele who is not only capable of using earth and air magic (very rare for most MMOs), but they also use ALL the elements instead of just specializing in one.

Anet isn’t reinventing the wheel, and they’re not even remotely pretending to, they’re just taking the same wheel and putting their own fancy decal onto it. Just because they’re trying their own thing doesn’t mean Druid won’t shapeshift, or that it won’t use magic (it’s already been established they will), they’ll probably end up shapeshifting into nature spirit type of things instead of animals, and use a mix of martial with magic. They won’t stray too far from the established theme or else they risk angering people who want to play that archetype, but that won’t stop them from tweaking it a little.

Ok your misunderstanding me im talking about in the animations and and etc, not the actual class mechanics and even some of those are unique, I have never seen an elementalist in any game with such unique animations for example. And it does stray away because controlling your pets makes more sense, if they do shapeshifting they would have to change allot in the engine itself because they have to come up with unique transformations and animations that do not exist in the game. I never said it wont use magic I am saying shapeshifting will not be there why would they put something in that already exists in another popular game? They would be accused of cloning big time. Why do you think they made the ranger more like a lord of the rings ranger then a hunter?

And mesmer is not unique, enchanter/illusionist/corecer exists in everquest 1 and 2 and a few other mmos.

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Shapeshifting isn’t ALWAYS a part of the druid class in fantasy. It’s a common aspect of them in a few very popular games but it isn’t universal.

GW1 druids were nature spirits and did not shapeshift in the game, Warlords Battlecry series druids are nature casters and summoners, Might and Magic franchise druids are nature mages who mainly use elemental spells, Magicka druids summon treants and use elemental spells, etc.

Now you may be able to argue MOST games have druids as shapeshifters, though that would be hard to argue as I doubt either of us have played every game in which druids appear, but it’s certainly not a universally agreed upon rule.

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

Shapeshifting isn’t ALWAYS a part of the druid class in fantasy. It’s a common aspect of them in a few very popular games but it isn’t universal.

GW1 druids were nature spirits and did not shapeshift in the game, Warlords Battlecry series druids are nature casters and summoners, Might and Magic franchise druids are nature mages who mainly use elemental spells, Magicka druids summon treants and use elemental spells, etc.

Now you may be able to argue MOST games have druids as shapeshifters, though that would be hard to argue as I doubt either of us have played every game in which druids appear, but it’s certainly not a universally agreed upon rule.

Another thing to consider is shapeshifting is in after thought in everquest 2 you could shapeshift and it was effective but seriously boring, it was not even close to immersive or fluid was world of warcrafts shapeshifting. Atleast when I played it, they are not making an entire new class here so if people expect want shapeshifting it wont be very good as as fun as the original class.

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Mesmer is also not unique to GW2. The Mesmer class is based on the Mesmerizer class from Everquest.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Now when I say Druids will probably get shape shifting I mean as one skill, it’d probably end up being something like rampage but you turn into like an oakheart, or a big bear or something along those lines, I’m not saying it’s going to be “press F1 to turn into X and F2 to turn into Y.” It won’t be the focus of Druid, it wont be required, but it’ll probably be something.

And having the Druid shape shift into something other than an animal WOULD be unique for the most part since very few games allow shape shifters to turn into anything but animals.

@Ryou so your argument is that the classes themselves aren’t unique but he animations are? How does that make shapeshifting any less of a possibility? And we already have skills that transform characters into something else, and in many cases they’re very powerful skills (EX: Lich Form, Rampage, Plague, Moa Morph) it’s not adding a brand new mechanic to the game, and they could very easily make it unique especially if it was a limited time transformation.

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Like I said I could see us transforming into a nature spirit with our elite. Actually I’ll be a bit disappointed if we don’t simply because that is one of the very few things we know about druids being able to do in GW1.

I’m with you that it won’t be the new class mechanic or a staple of the elite specialization though.

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

Now when I say Druids will probably get shape shifting I mean as one skill, it’d probably end up being something like rampage but you turn into like an oakheart, or a big bear or something along those lines, I’m not saying it’s going to be “press F1 to turn into X and F2 to turn into Y.” It won’t be the focus of Druid, it wont be required, but it’ll probably be something.

And having the Druid shape shift into something other than an animal WOULD be unique for the most part since very few games allow shape shifters to turn into anything but animals.

@Ryou so your argument is that the classes themselves aren’t unique but he animations are? How does that make shapeshifting any less of a possibility? And we already have skills that transform characters into something else, and in many cases they’re very powerful skills (EX: Lich Form, Rampage, Plague, Moa Morph) it’s not adding a brand new mechanic to the game, and they could very easily make it unique especially if it was a limited time transformation.

Well you did not make that clear, but why would you even want that? That is a very lazy and boring design as I said earlier that is an after thought.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I can’t even begin to tell you how salty I was that Humans were able to transform into an Oakheart but rangers weren’t lol. I was so ready for our transformation skill (at the time every prof looked like they were getting one), and knowing how rangers in GW1 and GW2 are essentially Druids with a tad bit less magic (DnD rangers, and not WoW Hunter’s) I thought for sure we were gonna be oakhearts lol.

I’m more hoping Anet isn’t going to disappoint me a second time with us ascending into true natural perfection as a giant bad kitten plant beast than anything.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

Maybe it will be the elite skill….id love it cause we have those lovely norn transformations which are never utilized

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

it would be. that’s always been a Blizzard thing though, and id love to see the druid in the next D3 expansion. the ranger is a mess in GW2 and doesn’t feel like anything tbh.

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

it would be. that’s always been a Blizzard thing though, and id love to see the druid in the next D3 expansion. the ranger is a mess in GW2 and doesn’t feel like anything tbh.

They are jack of all trades master of none really, and some of us enjoy that, not everyone wants to play a class they can master with just a few builds and buttons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tenison Grey.3629

Tenison Grey.3629

Slight side tangent to this topic. I doubt Druids will be in D3. They were already in Diablo 2 and Barbarian has been the only class to be in multiple Diablo games.

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

Slight side tangent to this topic. I doubt Druids will be in D3. They were already in Diablo 2 and Barbarian has been the only class to be in multiple Diablo games.

I usually love druids but I found them boring in diablo 2.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Matter of opinion and personal preference.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Indeed. And not mine. I doubt it will happen because… gemstore skins. Which is also the reason I wouldn’t like it, I already like the look of my Ranger and do not want to be forced to look at some transformation that I, in all likelihood, will not like.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Indeed. And not mine. I doubt it will happen because… gemstore skins. Which is also the reason I wouldn’t like it, I already like the look of my Ranger and do not want to be forced to look at some transformation that I, in all likelihood, will not like.

If there would be transformations on Druid I’d have a hard time believing it’ll be anything more than being a skill like rampage, where you transform for like 10s on a pretty hefty CD. It wouldn’t be WoW style where they’re literally in a form 24/7

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

If there would be transformations on Druid I’d have a hard time believing it’ll be anything more than being a skill like rampage, where you transform for like 10s on a pretty hefty CD. It wouldn’t be WoW style where they’re literally in a form 24/7

Sir, let’s be real.
Signet of the Wild already destroys any kind of transformation. Be it fractal model change, any other sort of visual effect…
It’s one of the reasons why Ranger can solo the Fire Room in asura fractal.

They can’t even get that Enlargement effect working. How do we believe they would fit all those 10sec shapeshifts? Sounds fishy to me.

As it goes – I don’t really want shapeshifts.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Sir, let’s be real.
Signet of the Wild already destroys any kind of transformation. Be it fractal model change, any other sort of visual effect…
It’s one of the reasons why Ranger can solo the Fire Room in asura fractal.

They can’t even get that Enlargement effect working. How do we believe they would fit all those 10sec shapeshifts? Sounds fishy to me.

As it goes – I don’t really want shapeshifts.

IF we get shapeshifts i don’t see it being more than a single skill, probably the elite given the track record of shapeshift skills. So they’d just have to worry about one transformation elite working like EVERY OTHER transformation elite in the game, and they’ve got those sorted out just fine, so i see no reason why this will suddenly be different.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I can’t even begin to tell you how salty I was that Humans were able to transform into an Oakheart but rangers weren’t lol.

But the joke was on them: the skill sucked.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

All the racials suck. Which kind of sucks in and of itself.

If we can’t use racials in competitive PVP why does it really matter if we can find creative racial builds for the less competitive game modes?

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

I rather have something way more fun then shapeshifts, as I said before controlling your pets sounds far more interesting at this point.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Not really… look at Norn’s shapeshifting – not cool, not fun, not useful.

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Agree.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

that’s a racial skill, racial skills are supposed to be weaker than normal skills, you can’t compare it to the norn racials, you’d have to compare it to things like lich form, and rampage instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

The problem of Norn’s transform is not because is too weak, but because the CD is so freaking long.

If druid can have a kit-like transform that’s instant with minimal CD, it’d be useful.