build advice for a new ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: jarthur.3649

jarthur.3649

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATVjMqUua7KOsQ1ag8AZZgENDOjdnVtS5WVAqUA-TBzBABS8AA0UtCn2fALlYAcEAY+QAIpqKVp8oPNB2pDIhLAwjKBJFgfCrA-e

would this work in pve or wvw and if not what would i need to change to make something similar work.
came up with the idea after fighting the heart of mist champs, the result was killing them in around 30 seconds, so now i come here to ask would this build be any good anywhere else.

(edited by jarthur.3649)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I personally feel like you’re trying to do too much with this build. It’s neither primarily zerk nor condition focused. Now in pve I’m sure you’ll get by just fine as you can easily kite most mobs but in wvw/pvp you’ll likely run into the problem that you’re not doing enough raw damage with your longbow due to the fact that your stats are all over the place and you lack ferocity (crit damage) — and also due to the fact that you’re limiting yourself to one weapon set for conditions you’ll be stuck waiting on your cooldowns.

It sucks that traps require you to go down a trait line that doesn’t help your conditions at all. I find I basically never use them in competitive play.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in Ranger

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjUq0ya/KOsQ1agAha9BEAFQrbg99eBVQKPoCQlC-TZBEwAAOCAPuEA+2fIbZACPAAA

This is what i use in soloq and i pretty much never lose, 1v1s are easy and can quite easily kite and fight outnumbered, if youre new to the power rangers (love saying that) then id suggest swapping sigils (not the energy) for two silgils of intelligence and getting cavaliers :P

i dont want to be rude but trying to do a hybrid with a ranger without using a shortbow is like breaking your legs and trying to run a marathon, you wont be doing enough damage :C

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in Ranger

jarthur.3649

so I either need to switch one weapon set to shortbow or switch to a power based ranger.
which weapon set should I switch.
with the power ranger would I be able to use the traps for cc conditions still or would I need to switch to other utilities.
thank you for helping me out.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Longbow/GS has a lot more utility and is helpful if you are newer to ranger. I would suggest a power build. Frost trap or muddy terrain would be good CCs to use if you need it. (You don’t need extra CC if you bring the right pets)

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

in Ranger

jarthur.3649

switched the second set to shortbow and made the build more power focused with semi-decent condition damage.

RedCobra thank you for the piece about the shortbow, now if only I could trait reduced cooldown with out killing trap utility or damage

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Here is a guide to the PvE ranger:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Guide-PvE-Meta-Ranger/first#post3975802

For WvW obviously you need to focus more on staying alive.

in Ranger

jarthur.3649

probably go sword/x for second weapon set while in pve and shortbow for when I start doing wvw
and what toughness/health would you suggest for wvw