current ranger meta and leveling build

in Ranger

Posted by: Patxiku.9312

Patxiku.9312

I’m thinking of making a ranger, but I would like firts to now the current ranger meta for pve and wvw (builds and roles). Also any good leveling build would be appreciated.

Last thing, is there any race not recommender for a ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Leveling as a Ranger is probably one of the easiest you can do. There isn’t really a leveling spec you need to follow. Just set your pet onto something and attack it after and call it a day. Simply investing your points into trees with DPS stats will get you where you need to go.

As to WvW, Rangers aren’t part of the meta. Best you can hope for is roaming and the Ranger’s best roaming specs are all condi/regen spec’d. The changes to rapid fire will make power more viable, but still well short of where condi is right now. But actually getting into the GWEN meta or joining a Gvg? Not gonna happen with what we’ve seen so far.

All that said, give the class a shot. Play some PvP to get a feel for it. If you enjoy the way the class plays (it’s not for everyone… there’s a lot of auto attacking involved) chances are the class’s relative power won’t be that big a deal. Just don’t invest anything substantial until after the update on the 9th so you can see if the changes impact how you want to play.

in Ranger

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

In pve, the ranger is a party wide dps booster via spotter and frost spirit. They have a good vulnerability burst at the start of the fight, nothing too fancy but worth saying it. They have access to personal/group wide reflects, a pull on a 15 sec cooldown great for reducing defiant stacks, along with a lot of interrupts on greatsword. They have access to condi removal and long lasting fire field, a “meh” fire field, and good fury uptime.

In www, rangers aren’t the best choice in zergs, you could make it work but as Atherakhia stated, GWEN will do better. In roaming they are either unkillable rampaging condi machines, or raw ranged dps specs, but the later seems to attract a lot of new players and everyone will always focus that one ranger sitting at 1500 range and not dodging the shatter combo. Ranger is indeed quite easy to level so go full dps and get some points in the precision traitline. For pets, I used felines to make things faster ( since their stats are not tied to yours, even with my level 1 gear my pet was dealing crazy damage, especially stacked at 25 might stacks with rampage as one and quickening zephyr, this combo killed anything close to champion level). I wouldn’t advice using a tanky pet and sits at range since it’ll give you bad habits.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Patxiku.9312

Patxiku.9312

“I wouldn’t advice using a tanky pet and sits at range since it’ll give you bad habits”

I was doing that
What weapons would you recommend not to take bad habits?

in Ranger

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

Learning to deal with the sword rooting is going to be very useful if you plan on doing dungeons later. Other than that, I usually just take mobility weapons when I level alts (for ranger that’d be gs and s/wh).

in Ranger

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Same, I used gs+ sword warhorn when leveling. You won’t come back to bow after trying the op RaO+wh4+qz+sword aa+ a feline pet combo. It’s an instant 25 might for your pet, and it’ll hit like a truck. Getting used to sword takes some time, and practising your dodges in open world is hard because mobs don’t hit hard so you won’t see the difference, but try to avoid every charged glowing attacks while auto attacking with sword, it’ll help. Alternatively you could use gs as a melee weapon and sb/lb as a ranged weapon, but if you’re planning to pve, it’s still a bad habit.
Have fun!

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

in Ranger

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Working on my 3rd 80 ranger right now. 1st was started within 2 weeks of pre, 2nd just over a year ago and now the new one.

1. No such thing as builds when levelling now. Traits got changed, just stick points in holes that have benefits you find useful (seriously, its that easy).

2. I like to have a Longbow on switch just for those moments where face tanking something like an event boss is a bit much. You can use Axe main if you prefer, or shortbow, I just like LB for the KB, stealth, etc. It’s my Oh kitten tool.

Currently I am levelling my new ranger with Greatsword. Previously I used sword/warhorn. I run a stupidaly simple right side of the skill bar cause….levelling a ranger is stupidly simple. I prefer Troll Ungent cause I can use it when just running through a map with hateballs hitting me. I switch (rarely needed) to healing spring when I need to get my daily done that has Condition Remover. I have never liked heal as one. Water Spirit is something for level 80 to mess with. Sig of Wild, Hunt and Stone. RaO.

I prefer levelling in Zerker stats, Pwr/Precision (bizarre forum censor in there…) until you get all 3 stats around 58 on blues, 60 on greens (I think) or rares. I shove the same stated runes in armor (cheapest possible) and I tend to prefer Air/Fire sigils.

For pets I prefer drakes now while levelling.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

(edited by GOSU.9574)