good dungeon ranger build?

in Ranger

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

Hello all,

I have recently started doing dungeons with my ranger and I have noticed that although the ranger was never meant to be the support god I still feel like there is much that I can do to benefit the folks that I am in a dungeon with.

So my question is this: Does anyone have some sound advice on skills, traits, pet selection that could be not only useful during solo play but also would be helpful to a group in a dungeon situation?

I realize that Zerk gear is the “norm” atm so lets leave that area out unless you have some valuable information regarding gear that might be helpful.

I suppose that I should mention that at this point in my dungeon career I am looking to be able to bring my ranger in to the group and feel that I am contributing more than just dps. I’m sure someone out there has some great info on a ranger build that is great for group situations and I’d love to hear your input.

Cheers

in Ranger

Posted by: Gabe.6810

Gabe.6810

This is what all the cool kids are doing:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_S/A_LB_Spotter

This guide uses the same build but has been helpful for me at least, as far as knowing what your roles are and capabilities include:
http://dulfy.net/2014/07/05/gw2-ranger-pve-class-guide-by-lorek-and-cell/

Or you could just be like every other ranger and go BearBow 6/6/L/O/L and stay at range. You won’t help nearly as much.

in Ranger

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

You are the best support with offensive support on your ranger in dungeons. That includes berserker gear.

Check out Gabe’s link to the metabattle site, that’s the build that is most effective in dungeon on your ranger.

Frost spirit and Spotter will substantially support your group’s damage output which is the main focus when doing dungeons. (+10% damage chance and a boost to precision which increases critical chance of attacks.)

Whirling defence from axe 5 is a reflect that can be used to fill in between more effective reflects such as wall of reflect and feedback, but it is useful all the same. Your Stalker pet will supply might, your jaguar will supply more damage with the F2. If your party lacks fire+blasts you can quickly swap to a torch and use Bonfire, then swap to a warhorn to blast for might before putting your Longbow back on.

With this build you supply a great burst for the first 10 seconds of the fight, and some quick vulnerability. Your heal can be Healing spring to supply condition removal and a water field, but keep in mind that fire fields are usually more important so use it when it’s required. Path of scars can be used off cooldown, just be weary of the defiance, it can also be used to pull mobs towards you so long as you align yourself correctly for the returning axe to hit the mob.

You can use LB4 and path of scars to strip Defiant from bosses, just keep in mind how many stacks there are and try not to apply defiant in between as something like an ele’s Icebow 5 is a more effective CC.

I have a link to some videos of this build in action that I hope may be helpful to you in understanding how a ranger fits into dungeon parties.