instead of beastmaster/shouts.....

in Ranger

Posted by: Hans.8467

Hans.8467

Hi guys,

Almost everyone is running beastmaster/shout builds in pvp, is there a good alternative for power builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You can cover the AF generation from regen and the speed boosts via other means, but the real benefit is WHaO and SotP are so incredibly strong.

If you’re not using those, 1) I think you handicapped yourself slightly, and 2) you need to have another traited heal at minimum, and ideally elite. Which basically leaves TU + entangle. Traps are sort of blah, but you could go skirmishing/druid/BM and take HS + SotP.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

i’ve been using WS with Survival utilities for cleanses and TU for a heal, it works OK but i get much better results running shouts.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I started playing this recently. It works as a fine alternative. Take a look around this template and change anything that might come to your mind, including LB for staff or whatever.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjYD7kQFoXQskFwlFgqFskJYwz0c6Q15wt4acNJrAwBoEnnG-TZBFAB3v/Q/lBS4gAAwTAQgLAAA

I get similar or better results (depending on matchup or situation) with the same stats but different playstyle.
More access to Stealth (Smokescale field finishers + LB#3), Traited Warhorn, works almost as Diamond Skin ele but against Power (33% Bark Skin, 33% Protection, possible 50% from Weakness, another 50% with Guard, 7% from rune and Troll Unguent keeps ticking).
It lacks might stacks and stability from SotP (has 3 stun breaks and Shared Anguish). The regen and swiftness are not permanent, either. It has more utility, though.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I find that at some level any reasonable build with a stun breaker and condi clear is just as effective as any other and it’s effectively impossible to to tell the difference between builds and skill.

For example, Eurantien, a pro league player, plays a bunch of builds that I consider relative complete garbage. Like he consistently puts up pure crap builds, but he performs on them at a level far beyond mine because he’s high skill and it fits his particular need.

I see the same in my builds, which I realize probably no one (expect perhaps ironically Eura? I haven’t watched the past couple weeks of pro league but last I saw he was interested in quick draw again which I’ve been the solitary advocate of for like half a year) find optimal, and Tragic Positive’s builds, and so on. Etc. Etc.

TLDR: Take a stun breaker, be decent.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I find that at some level any reasonable build with a stun breaker and condi clear is just as effective as any other and it’s effectively impossible to to tell the difference between builds and skill.

For example, Eurantien, a pro league player, plays a bunch of builds that I consider relative complete garbage. Like he consistently puts up pure crap builds, but he performs on them at a level far beyond mine because he’s high skill and it fits his particular need.

I see the same in my builds, which I realize probably no one (expect perhaps ironically Eura? I haven’t watched the past couple weeks of pro league but last I saw he was interested in quick draw again which I’ve been the solitary advocate of for like half a year) find optimal, and Tragic Positive’s builds, and so on. Etc. Etc.

TLDR: Take a stun breaker, be decent.

HAHA I love this. I was once told by a friend who often asked me for build advice, “I think your builds are good for you, but they never work out for me”.

Was there any build in particular that was “relative complete garbage”? I am curious

To contribute to the thread. It is really hard to give up WHaO and SotP because of their ridiculous synergy. If I were, I would either take WS to get more self sustain for a loss of damage, but i’d gain a little more condi clear, a better “heal” technically, and protection on dodge. OR I would drop something for skirmishing for the utility of quickdraw.

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Was there any build in particular that was “relative complete garbage”? I am curious

I mean it’s slightly exaggerated, but your builds 1) tend towards the extreme in defense. And I get it, if you’re playing against Toker on glass revenant, you don’t want to be running glass LB. Your “pure offense” builds are along the lines of marauder staff, doing something like 1 DPS.

I dunno, there are just a lot of things you run that are utterly incompatible with PUGlyfe. It’s hard to name too many examples. I find it more funny than like “eura has no idea what he’s doing”. People run what they need at the time.

Edit: And fully realizing you also pug a lot, I ran into you on your rev the other day in puglyfe. It’s just your tournament ranger builds get all the attention.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

Yeah, playing in 5 v 5 I can’t run my full offense lb/gs skirm/marks/druid necessarily. Others can play rev or other dps classes which makes me someone who can and often needs to be the one on the point or outnumbered. Besides, tanky druid → pets that can blow people up → good combo. But yeah I get it haha. Description gave me a good laugh

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Yeah, playing in 5 v 5 I can’t run my full offense lb/gs skirm/marks/druid necessarily. Others can play rev or other dps classes which makes me someone who can and often needs to be the one on the point or outnumbered. Besides, tanky druid -> pets that can blow people up -> good combo. But yeah I get it haha. Description gave me a good laugh

Im just waitng for Eurantien to give in to the glory that is full 5 shout NM BM Druid GS Longbow trooper and no S&R. All I need is a commanders amulet and ill spread a reign of terror the likes of which has never been seen in PvP. Join me Eurantien. Come to the loud side of the build editor.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Eurantien.4632

If trooper runes condi cleared teammates with ranger shouts I would be more keen on running it. And maybe now with the slick shoes nerf I could get away with 5 shouts vs a coordinated team but I still don’t think it would be as efficient as having some better "get out jail free " cards on my bar besides just screaming at people. + the reduced uptime on CF would be brutal.

Besides, me and sic em. Isn’t likely to happen.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

If trooper runes condi cleared teammates with ranger shouts I would be more keen on running it. And maybe now with the slick shoes nerf I could get away with 5 shouts vs a coordinated team but I still don’t think it would be as efficient as having some better "get out jail free " cards on my bar besides just screaming at people. + the reduced uptime on CF would be brutal.

Besides, me and sic em. Isn’t likely to happen.

Hahahaha fair enough :P. Pretty good concerns. Sadly as long as druid is mandatory a full 5 shout ranger will never function against coordinated team even I recognize that. Anet got so close with the changes to them. But as long as ranger is forced to run druid for the basic sustain it needs and as long as team support is required on every build in the meta the shouts just aren’t gonna be enough on their own u.u.

(Either MM and WK would work so much better with a shout beast mastery build. But Druidic Clarity and Celestial Avatar are just mandatory if a ranger wants any chance of surviving any form of coordinated attack u.u)

Maybe with the next elite spec? (lol yeah right)

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)