is it worth creating a ranger now

in Ranger

Posted by: albert.3219

albert.3219

I’ve been wanting to main a ranger since release but I haven’t seen them actually ‘fixed’ ever.

Just wondering is it worth, or mainly viable, to make a ranger after HoT to run Condi w/shortbow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Of course it’s viable. Don’t you see thousands of rangers and druids every day?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I’ve been wanting to main a ranger since release but I haven’t seen them actually ‘fixed’ ever.

Just wondering is it worth, or mainly viable, to make a ranger after HoT to run Condi w/shortbow.

They’ve never been broken. It’s a good class that attracts bad players. For some, the checklist looks like this:

• Has big fluffy pet
  • Shoots bows and arrows
  • HAS A BIG FLUFFY PET
  • In in tune with nature
  • OMG THAT PET IS SO FLUFFY I’M GONNA DIE!

And thus another bearbow is born, and eventually they’ll write a concern thread about how rubbish their DPS and survivability is when they just sit on longbow trying to make their pet tank.

But if you’re looking for a class that is fun, mobile, flexible, has solid damage output, brings, is survivable and brings some buffs to the table with it, you’re in the right place. If you’re here for pets and bows, you’ll probably be disappointed

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Ranger

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

If you mean pets then no, they haven’t been fixed. Most pet skills are horribly outdated; Copy-pasted from trash PvE mobs and never looked at again. HoT pets were also copy-pasted but HoT PvE mobs aren’t as embarrassing as core Tyria mobs. All pets need a baseline movement speed increase and cast time reduction. I’d argue they should even be able to break movement speed limits when given enough movement speed.

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Posted by: albert.3219

albert.3219

I’d like to re-ask the question: is a cond shortbow ranger dmg viable in comparison to metas.

I feel like the answer would be no when compared to metas due to pets =\

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I’d like to re-ask the question: is a cond shortbow ranger dmg viable in comparison to metas.

No simply because the only solid dmg skill is its auto attack. And that dmg is aoe limited to piercing which is hard to capitalize since you need flanking strike on each and every foe to proc the bleed. Maybe skill 2 if you never fail to land it in pointblankrange.

It’s not as if you cannot run it and kill stuff. If you run axe/torch on swap it would fair better but then its more an a/t build with sb on swap.

in Ranger

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

IMO, there are better classes but ranger is fairly fun. Shortbow is terrible though. No getting around that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gankez.2731

Gankez.2731

imo if u want to do a condi ranger.. try out a longbow/gs with sinister? (not sure if its better than viper).. the druid skill that causes roots on them and bleed + trapper runes and traps.. its a nice combination of damage and condi.. really strong/mobile and great at kiting.. rip on the trapper rune nerf tho

the reason it works so well is the knockdown on longbow will proc the roots when u hit after.. also ur pet can knock them down and u can proc it.. if u go into greatsword u get a knockdown and a daze.. so its quite nasty

(edited by Gankez.2731)

in Ranger

Posted by: aB EXT.1287

aB EXT.1287

The question is… do you have the stomach for it?

Seriously though, they will probably be messing around with the druid for a while to come and we may not like the results when they are through. If you don’t already have a deep interest/enjoyment of the class then I’d avoid it until things have stabilized.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

The answer depends on what you want and your playstyle. Is it worth creating? Again, that depends on you. Despite everything, I still love my ranger/druid.

Gone to Reddit.

in Ranger

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

If you want an archer type ranger,(with power) nope. Dont. Nein. Lb power ranger sucks so much that I can not even look at it. You have to use quick draw with some melee (gs usually) to deal a decent damage.

But if you want to use druid talents, well they seem strong and good. So try it.

Again it is ok to have a condi ranger. But I warn you; if you want to use traps please do not stand near dragon hunter. You will be so jealous that your pet will poop bricks.

in Ranger

Posted by: naediian.8569

naediian.8569

They’ve never been broken. It’s a good class that attracts bad players. For some, the checklist looks like this:

• Has big fluffy pet
  • Shoots bows and arrows
  • HAS A BIG FLUFFY PET
  • In in tune with nature

And thus another bearbow is born, and eventually they’ll write a concern thread about how rubbish their DPS and survivability is when they just sit on longbow trying to make their pet tank.

But if you’re looking for a class that is fun, mobile, flexible, has solid damage output, brings, is survivable and brings some buffs to the table with it, you’re in the right place. If you’re here for pets and bows, you’ll probably be disappointed

ahhh, never been broken? Pets have been broken since day 1 dude. There was just another pet test done and the results were horrific. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/This-are-ranger-pets-PETS-TEST-2/page/3#post5719449.

Ranger is currently my main and I do think they’re viable, but rangers are most definitely broken.

in Ranger

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

I used to main a guardian, but now I main a ranger, why? is simply the best pvp wvw and pve character for me.

Longbow does alot of damage, and recently from last year or so they made the new skills that makes you bigger and even more damage. Dont know other classes but I think Ranger have the most DPS output out there.

If you manage to keep away ur enemy from you, you can be goodlike, and in the new expansion you can get a new small dragon as pet wich is very cool.

in Ranger

Posted by: albert.9035

albert.9035

• Has big fluffy pet
  • Shoots bows and arrows
  • HAS A BIG FLUFFY PET
  • In in tune with nature

A lot of decent answers and lot of idiot rangers like Ryuujin.8236. thanks

in Ranger

Posted by: Jasper Defthand.3018

Jasper Defthand.3018

Ranger is real fun once you actually learn how to play it. They’ve had a bad rep because a large amount of the ranger player base are complete idiots. You see the ranger has, built into its weapon skills and pets, powerful CCs and abilities that, since they are readily available, newbies just spam the kitten out of while leveling up. By the time they reach max level they have, engrained into their twitch reflexes, the urge to spam things like longbow 4 at every single cooldown. They often take the bear pets cuz… its a kittening BEAR “look at that health pool, so OP, and sooo fluffy”.

Experienced rangers will rarely use longbow 4 cuz thats a super useful skill in opportune situations, and detrimental in others. Bear is low dps, limited utility and just not very useful outside of soloing world champs.

What it all comes down to is the mechanics of the ranger make it easier than other professions at the beginning of the game, other professions come with a steeper beginning learning curve, forcing the player to git gud earlier where as rangers don’t necessarily need to till endgame when their group or guildies or w/e yell at them for being an idiot and not playing their class properly and effectively.

I main ranger and I love it. I regularly run fractals, dungeons(used to…) raids and pvp. Alot of these guys are just reiterating bad players kittening on the forums and basically copy/paste whatever rage they see regarding this cuz they are kittened some rev or DH owned them(which must mean either ranger sux, or rev/dh too OP). Rangers have excellent dps and overall viability.

You simply need to choose proper sigils, runes, pets, and stat spreads. Then learn to perform your build properly in action just as with any other class.

P.S. Our sword #1 does suck, don’t use sword… its just a pain in the kitten .

(edited by Jasper Defthand.3018)

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

• Has big fluffy pet
  • Shoots bows and arrows
  • HAS A BIG FLUFFY PET
  • In in tune with nature

Can confirm. I love my big fluffy pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Ranger is a profession to be played if you like the play style, not if you want to be effective. Sure there are some decent builds, and some good ranger players, but you have to work a lot harder to be average as a ranger than any other profession and your choices re very limited. You also have the certain fun in knowing that as soon as you get reasonable at it, ANet will swing the nerf bat your way again.

in Ranger

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

Condi/Trap use is fairly viable, but its better with Axe/Sword/Torch/Dagger than Shortbow (though it has some uses). Also, while Ancient Seeds can affect opponents who are under certain CCs, Spike Trap’s knockdown doesn’t work with it for some reason.

Pets provide a fair amount of utility and safety in PvE (when they’re not obstructed or having pathing issues, anyway), but they’re not all that great in PvP since they’ll die to AoE and players can chase you instead of them. The lack of control over their three other skills also make things like knockdown attacks chance related.

Druid is another story, what with their constant changes and how difficult it can be to charge AF without Staff now. All in all, I’d say to just play the first 45~60 levels and see how you feel about (base) Ranger, and if you like it, mess with the Druid at 80 and decide what style you enjoy the most.

(edited by Euthymias.7984)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

If you love pet classes, yes ranger is still the correct choice to make. As long as you’re having fun, how you decide to play is up to you.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

I main Ranger Druid myself and can say it is worth it, if you have the stomach for the constant nerfing.

It takes more skill to pull your weight than with other classes in higher level content as ranger. But then again, I used have to have people remember me from fractals and get excited when they saw me in their group again. Even if you don’t play druid, we still bring a nice amount unique support and solid sustained DPS at both melee and range. Just don’t camp Longbow.

Now that we Druid, my guild is constantly raving about how awesome my heals are in WvW and Raid. So if you are interested in healing and glueing a staff to one hand, there has never been a better time to be a ranger

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

in Ranger

Posted by: FriendlyInvader.3126

FriendlyInvader.3126

I have 1000 hours on my ranger, and I would not recommend it at the moment.

in Ranger

Posted by: kevvy.5081

kevvy.5081

Condi ranger is very viable(I seem to use that word a bit too much around here lol), but only with axe/torch. There’s a reason you don’t see shortbow condi rangers in metabattle and other most recommended builds out there.
Just try it out for yourself with pvp golems. You’ll find that A/T condi is the best for ranger.

Just a side note, druid has been taking nerfs after nerfs lately. It’s left many of us disappointed but some like me are still holding on. I suppose since condi rangers don’t use druid spec line, it doesn’t matter for you, but who knows what anet will do next.

I would suggest going Engi or War/Berserker as they can be built for nice condi builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

GW2 is basically made for alts, try one out and if you like it then find a build/playstyle that works for you.

to your question specifically, shortbow is bad since anet nerfed it a while back, if they ever get around to bringing it back it may be good again. as mentioned a/t condi is the way to go using quickdraw to get double bonfires going. you can also stack burning with flame trap and sun spirit.

condi ranger is probably still the second strongest condition damage profession, no one can touch engi right now.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

condi ranger is probably still the second strongest condition damage profession, no one can touch engi right now.

DnT said condi ranger was so close to perfect engi rotation it’s effectively the same due to it being so much easier to use.

And then there is the berserker. I put some crappy dungeon armor on my warrior to fool around with burns and I was like ‘whhaaaaaaaat just happened?’ The damage is ludicrous for doing effectively nothing. Nike put out a video where he hit 34k burn ticks on one of the raid bosses (bigger hitbox so it’s situational.) But I was in rampagers initially and hit ~10k burns and 10k bleeds on the zerg hero challenge under Tarir.

in Ranger

Posted by: Katsuragi.4026

Katsuragi.4026

I main Power LB(+GS) Ranger in WvW and I can tell you it’s ungrateful, people don’t really notice the work you do, but (and this is not just my opinion) I can tell you a good ranger can carry a blob if he knows what he’s doing. Specially in choke areas. Plus, your mobility and survival is sick.

Edit: for reference, your pet’s straight up useless in blobs. idk why the hell can’t we keep them stowed, because I honestly don’t give a crap about pets.

Yes, I am a Ranger. No, I don’t like having a pet.

(edited by Katsuragi.4026)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

DnT said condi ranger was so close to perfect engi rotation it’s effectively the same due to it being so much easier to use.

And then there is the berserker. I put some crappy dungeon armor on my warrior to fool around with burns and I was like ‘whhaaaaaaaat just happened?’ The damage is ludicrous for doing effectively nothing. Nike put out a video where he hit 34k burn ticks on one of the raid bosses (bigger hitbox so it’s situational.) But I was in rampagers initially and hit ~10k burns and 10k bleeds on the zerg hero challenge under Tarir.

34K burn ticks….just…wow….let’s have some more power creep shall we?

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

ranger is like when you finish a game, lets say diablo iii and you try in another difficulty level, lets say nightmare.
So there is that. Viable yes but ranger should be available like a class you unlock when you finish the game. for the extra difficulty i mean.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Ranger is the ONLY class in the game that right now has a guaranteed spot in raids…

Its probably more worth having a ready ranger on hand than its ever been in GW2’s lifespan. Until they get the other two healer options, Chronomancer and Revenant, to be considered “in the meta”… the Ranger basically owns raiding.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

in Ranger

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Shortbow, no.

It’s not the hardest class to play…who said that?

And for reference, you nubs, it’s sw/torch Axe/Dagger.

Whoever mentioned Longbow in a condi or hybrid build, it’s crap. Looks good on paper and doesn’t work well in PvP (the only place it actually matters).

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I think you’re referring to the discussion of a/t + a/t, which is one of the best PvE builds across any profession at the moment. Good for raids and high level fractals.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

Not exactly fluff.

In pvp I see a lot of people mixing those weapon sets up. I guess its a personal choice. When one goes s/t a/d— the evades are split on two sets. When they aren’t, there isn’t a balanced benefit of dmg + evades.

I don’t pv …uh yeah, can’t even think of that last letter.

If its not pvp or wvw, zzzz

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I know s/t a/d is a PvP build (well it used to be anyway), but you’re having a different conversation than the rest of the thread. You called people nubs for not knowing the weapon combo, but it was you who didn’t know what they were talking about. It only works with a/t a/t.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

Condi ranger is very viable(I seem to use that word a bit too much around here lol), but only with axe/torch. There’s a reason you don’t see shortbow condi rangers in metabattle and other most recommended builds out there.
Just try it out for yourself with pvp golems. You’ll find that A/T condi is the best for ranger.

Fluff, you sure about that? He just referenced condi builds, a/t and pvp golems.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

imo if u want to do a condi ranger.. try out a longbow/gs with sinister? (not sure if its better than viper).. the druid skill that causes roots on them and bleed + trapper runes and traps.. its a nice combination of damage and condi.. really strong/mobile and great at kiting.. rip on the trapper rune nerf tho

the reason it works so well is the knockdown on longbow will proc the roots when u hit after.. also ur pet can knock them down and u can proc it.. if u go into greatsword u get a knockdown and a daze.. so its quite nasty

strong, mobile, great at kiting
trapper rune
knockdown with a daze

If he is talking about pve, I’m a Leprechaun and you stole my lucky charms.

in Ranger

EnderzShadow.2506

I main Power LB(+GS) Ranger in WvW and I can tell you it’s ungrateful, people don’t really notice the work you do, but (and this is not just my opinion) I can tell you a good ranger can carry a blob if he knows what he’s doing. Specially in choke areas. Plus, your mobility and survival is sick.

Edit: for reference, your pet’s straight up useless in blobs. idk why the hell can’t we keep them stowed, because I honestly don’t give a crap about pets.

Hey look Fluff, more wvw references.

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I think you’re referring to the discussion of a/t + a/t, which is one of the best PvE builds across any profession at the moment. Good for raids and high level fractals.

Just a pro-tip. If you’re only going axe/torch for the bonfire quickdraw, you only really need 1 of each weapon. Since you can put your axe in the mainhand slot of your first weapon set, and the torch in the offhand slot of your second weapon set and still get the ability to swap while retaining all weapon skills and only needing to buy/make 1 axe and 1 torch.

NSPride <3

in Ranger

Posted by: kevvy.5081

kevvy.5081

Fluff, you sure about that? He just referenced condi builds, a/t and pvp golems.

Testing out dps on pvp golems for pve purposes are legit. Or is that too hard for you to comprehend without posting derogatory naming on forums to ease your ego? You’re pathetic.