longbow shots really REALLY slow

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

I doubt he would have confirmed even the date if it wasn’t happening. Originally i think the big balance patch was prolly intented to come out at november but for some reason or another it got pushed back to december.

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

Seeing is believing… I dont get my hopes up prematurely ever again… ^^

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarlack.4096

Sarlack.4096

I doubt he would have confirmed even the date if it wasn’t happening. Originally i think the big balance patch was prolly intented to come out at november but for some reason or another it got pushed back to december.

It happened a few short weeks ago, promise rendered and not followed through. I refuse to get excited about any announcement until I see their claims post patch in the patch notes and live in game on my Ranger. Not a moment before…..

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Well, it’s not like the announced changes are game breaking or anything, it’s just faster projectile speed so i don’t know why anyone would doubt they’ll do it on this patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shinigami.2193

Shinigami.2193

Well, it’s not like the announced changes are game breaking or anything, it’s just faster projectile speed so i don’t know why anyone would doubt they’ll do it on this patch.

I would consider the two confirmed changes as substantial. Increasing movement speed to 25% with a signet and upping DPS of Longbow are definate improvements. I think there are probably going to be more than just these two changes. Keeping a wait and see attitude but like what has already been communicated.

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

No one said anything about upping DPS of longbow as far as i can tell, imo Jon was talking about increasing projectile speed so the ranger will hit moving targets better than now which means you will do the DPS you are supposed to do right now against a non moving target.
People is mixing up arrow speed with autoattack speed increase.

The 25% speed from signet is not gonna make it game breaking either considering Ranger has less escapes, rush skills, speed buffs than many other classes, it will probably buff more our pet than the ranger itself.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

No one said anything about upping DPS of longbow as far as i can tell, imo Jon was talking about increasing projectile speed so the ranger will hit moving targets better than now which means you will do the DPS you are supposed to do right now against a non moving target.

The 25% speed from signet is not gonna make it game breaking either considering Ranger has less escapes, rush skills, speed buffs than many other classes, it will probably buff more our pet than the ranger itself.

I agree 100%, it may help us get out of some jams from time to time, but I see the speed increase as a pet fix. The pet will actually get to someone and atleast hit them once before having to chase again. Of course, we have to use the Signet of the Hunt, so now I have to figure out what to get rid of, wish I could get rid of the bad High End choices we have in favor of this signet of the hunt.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

Err ranger can make the biggest gap out of every class if you play with certain weapons. I don’t know about you but I’m enjoying my swoop + hornet sting monarch leap + lightning reflexes. Playing with bows = gives you an option to damage people from a distance but you give you the insane mobility melee gives you.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

Err ranger can make the biggest gap out of every class if you play with certain weapons. I don’t know about you but I’m enjoying my swoop + hornet sting monarch leap + lightning reflexes. Playing with bows = gives you an option to damage people from a distance but you give you the insane mobility melee gives you.

Our melee movility comes from greatsword and horn, or sword. Other classes have similar leap skills and speed buffs.

Ele is probably the biggest example of movility, mesmer has teleports, portal, speed buffs…etc, thiefs have insane mobility…warriors have multiple leaps as well as speed buffs.
Ranger is far from being the class with best movility, imo is better than engi, necro and guardian but worse than thief, ele, mesmer, warrior. Rangers can however, as you said make a big gap in a couple of seconds but you need certain weapons combo and “waste” lighting reflex for it.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Our melee movility comes from greatsword and horn, or sword. Other classes have similar leap skills and speed buffs.

Ele is probably the biggest example of movility, mesmer has teleports, portal, speed buffs…etc, thiefs have insane mobility…warriors have multiple leaps as well as speed buffs.
Ranger is far from being the class with best movility, imo is better than engi, necro and guardian but worse than thief, ele, mesmer, warrior. Rangers can however, as you said make a big gap in a couple of seconds but you need certain weapons combo and “waste” lighting reflex for it.

You don’t need to waste lightning reflexes, I only put that in there in the situation that you are stun locked. And also swoop and hornet sting are on really low cooldowns.

Not to mention with you can have perma swiftness with birds.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

Still other classes have much more movility than rangers.

If i had to make a ranking i’d say:

1- Thief
2- Ele
3- Mesmer
4- Warrior
5- Ranger
6- Guardian
7- Engi, necro

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

1- Thief
2- Ele
3- Mesmer
4- Warrior
5- Ranger
6- Guardian
7- Engi, necro

errr, ranger is definately above warrior

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wallach.7291

Wallach.7291

Jon, thanks for the information. I’m sure a lot of people are glad to hear this.

While on the topic of Longbow, though – do you know if the 1 skill was corrected? The tooltip states 3/4s activation time, but the skill has always used a 1 1/4s activation time. If it is not a tooltip error but rather a functionality error, then the Longbow is doing significantly less DPS than intended.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Yes it’s good news but guys, just relax. Don’t sing his praises yet. He’s promised before and the ranger community became even more outraged.

We could see a 50% increase in Lbow speed or we could see a 0.5% increase in Lbow speed. Just wait 4 more days.

RIP in peace Robert

in Ranger

Posted by: Manos.5486

Manos.5486

1- Thief
2- Ele
3- Mesmer
4- Warrior
5- Ranger
6- Guardian
7- Engi, necro

errr, ranger is definately above warrior

Warriors can have the best mobility next to elementalists if the player is good and doesn’t mind weapon switching out of combat to maximize. This requires swapping to GS to dash, swapping to horn to swiftness, swapping to 1hs for another dash, etc. In combat, they slow down a bit of course.

Necros are definitely in last place, and should be behind engineers who can spec for perma-swiftness (speedy kits), and have a jump ability if they use rifle.

Mesmers are super slow as well, and need focus for swiftness, but they do have the advantage of several teleports and invisibilities, which give them great in-combat mobility, but poor out of combat mobility.

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Mind. Blown. Please, please, please let 12/14 be the patch we’ve been praying for!!!

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: aPutridCorpse.8792

aPutridCorpse.8792

Thanks for the update Jon.
A lot of people are counting on this quality of life improvement for Rangers that we did not receive last patch.
Don’t put another bullseye on you for the next one, although I guess currently you could just side step out of the way

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Honestly wouldn’t get your hopes up. Will very likely be these 2 changes and nothing else.

Given all the doom and gloom I can’t bring myself to make this class until there is some honest effort to show ArenaNET can be relied upon to balance their game. Off to the elementalist or warrior for me I think.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Not sure I believe this. It would mean that my weapon of choice might just become viable again.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

I think some people are misreading his comment as an increase in longbow attack speed (easy to do considering the OP was talking about attack speed). I believe he’s only talking about projectile speed, which is great don’t get me wrong. I just don’t want you all getting bent out of shape when longbow still fires at the same rate.

in Ranger

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Yeup… same dmg, you can just pew with it from the side of a fight.

in Ranger

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

You guys must be channeling some psychic powers this weekend. We agree arrows need to be a bit faster to make DPS against moving targets a bit more reliable. 12/14 can’t come soon enough. :P

Meh, the 14th will display results.

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

(edited by thrice.9184)

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

I’m extremely excited about these two changes. In my opinion, it will remedy a lot of issues with the class.

There has been so many fights where my longbows shots miss in the beginning due to being so easy to miss or get bugged on long distance shots. Starting the fight off with another 1 or 2 hits causing 3k damage will make my toon so powerful in wvwvw. Couple that with 25% speed to catch people or keep distance, I’m not sure I won’t become the most overpowered class out there.

This is a big change, as long as the increased projectile speed does what its supposed to.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: bluesnacks.2301

bluesnacks.2301

Don’t get your hopes up. I’d hate to see this forum explode again.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

By what Jon wrote, i believe he meant arrows projectile speed and not autoattack fire rate speed… i think many people missunderstood it…or i did :P

No, I think you’re right. The autoattack speed is lower than it should be on the longbow, though, just like Pistols, Scepters, and Staffs in some cases. It really needs to be looked at.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Increased projectile speed and 25% SoH speed? Where do I sign? This would already be a huge step forwards, even without any other changes. But do keep in mind he mentioned PROJECTILE speed, not attack speed, so unless they make additional changes it shouldn’t affect weapon damage, only probability of hitting moving targets.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Increased projectile speed and 25% SoH speed? Where do I sign? This would already be a huge step forwards, even without any other changes. But do keep in mind he mentioned PROJECTILE speed, not attack speed, so unless they make additional changes it shouldn’t affect weapon damage, only probability of hitting moving targets.

well technically its a damage buff, just indirectly.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: restoration.2806

restoration.2806

Well projectile speed means the arrows get to the target faster than they did before so your hitting the target at a faster rate increasing DPS. I think ANet should clear this up so they don’t have unnecessary backlash.

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

You will hit your target sooner, but the DPS will be the same since the attack rate is still the same.

To sum it up, it doesn’t really matter if your arrow travels faster because you will still be capped by the autoattack fire rate. Therefor if you can shoot now 10 arrows in 15 seconds you will still shoot 10 arrows in 15 seconds no matter how much they buff the arrow speed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

You will hit your target sooner, but the DPS will be the same since the attack rate is still the same.

To sum it up, it doesn’t really matter if your arrow travels faster because you will still be capped by the autoattack fire rate. Therefor if you can shoot now 10 arrows in 15 seconds you will still shoot 10 arrows in 15 seconds no matter how much they buff the arrow speed.

actually as long as this fixes the obstructed/miss issue it is a signifficant dps increase, if you can fire 10 arrows in 15 sec right now u will probably only hit 6 or less and if this bumps it up to 8 or more that is a pretty big increase…. now all they need to do is increase spider and devouror projectile speeds as well and we will be able to hit confidently at range with all abilities

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarcasmic.6741

Sarcasmic.6741

To fix (most of) the obstructed bugs, they just need to make it so ranged abilities don’t aim at the target’s ankles.

When my ranger is trying to attack a moving target at its big toe, I’m actually impressed that I can hit 50% of the time. Can you hit a running person in the toe with a long bow? I sure can’t. /sarcasm

Stace (Lv 80 human quickness portal bot) | Sarcasmic (Lv 80 elixir-drunk norn pyro)
Saladtha (Lv 80 salad sidekick to bears) | Dunelle (Lv 80 eviscerating muppet)
Karmell (Lv 80 human might dispenser) | Vast says hi~.

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Yeah I think arrows should arc, while bullets should fire straight. Projectile speed for bullets would remain higher, but with a bow you should be able to shoot over obstacles.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

To clear it up for some people, the projectile speed will not make you hit faster overall in a set time period. AKA you will fire the same amount of arrows in 10 seconds before and after the patch.

The increase in DPS will be because the faster projectiles will hit MORE OFTEN than the slow projectiles. Slow projectiles are currently having to “guess” which way the player is going and giving the player A LOT of time to move out of the path of the arrow. Faster arrows will mean less misses, thus increasing dips.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Also, in case anyone missed this, the increased projectile speed should only really help your game in PvP. The reason for the change was that arrows frequently miss their target in WvW and sPvP, particularly at long range, as they travel slowly and your opponents are constantly in motion. So don’t expect to see higher damage output in PvE where arrows already connect almost all the time.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -