makeing a ranger

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: hophopcool.7618

hophopcool.7618

Hiya,

rangers are OK but for new players Guardians are much better and easier to understand

However there is nothing wrong with Ranger they are good at PVE PVp but not WvW they are very single target damage so you will not get many kills in WvW meaning not much loot (loot earns you gold – Guardian is best for getting loot spam 1 on staff)

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

If you are interested in playing ranger then play ranger. It is fun.

you can attack from ridiculous range with longbow or get into peoples face with greatsword. You can bounce around like a rabbit with sword/dagger evading or you can kite mid-range with shortbow and axe. You get +2 skills from your two pets that you can swap between during a fight in addition to the pets skills it uses on its own.

you can play with traps, spirits, signets or a mix of other unique utility skills.

Class has good base health pool. So you can make glassy character with decent survivability or you can go full troll and be a regen bot that’s hard to kill.

If you want to fall asleep at keyboard then play 5 signet warrior or lol, staff guardian ;-)

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

they can be amazing , it maybe very easy to play the game starting using a Ranged weapon but i’d suggest you try to kill some targets using melee attacks that way it will help you learn the other half of what rangers can do being extremely good skirmish fighters.

WvW is a great place for rangers to take advantage of the movement CC they can bring, other builds not so much due to clusters of people and tons of condition removals so 70% of the role falls under a roaming > small scale fighting.

if you wish to join zergs make a Movement impairing build , it is much more effective slowing down 10 targets for the zerg to kill picking up the people that get split off from the main group , then single target them down while they are away from the safety of the group , peeling more than one target at a times is much more effective than using a glass LB ranger build that will die from a mesmer or a well trained thief.

all over Ranger has a easy start , but will reqire some real dedication to play.

though hop is correct if you are after loot , not the glory of battle go with a guardian its so easy to learn every aspect of that class you don’t need to learn a lot to survive in a zerg fight.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Rangers are perfectly fine.

Very easy to level up, very easy to solo content and very comfortable to be used. Your highest damage output comes from auto-attacks, after all.

But the thing is, that once you reach 80lvl content such as dungeons, PvP or such – you’ll be called a Bearbow if you won’t learn your class and use it’s full potential. Trait and mechanic-wise.

Rangers are actually one of the meta PvE classes for Dungeons, but even I myself do refrain from inviting most of them, since the majority plays useless and selfish Bearbows that do nothing but block a place for any competent player.
You should definitely like to avoid playing like one.

But if you have no problem adapting to the people’s needs – Rangers are more than fine.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

In PVE, ranger is meant to be played extremely aggressive. You are meant to charge your opponent ruthlessly. You will be constantly charging, dodging, pet swapping, weapon swapping, and repositioning yourself. If you are looking for passive play, it might not be the best choice as it takes a massive damage nerf if you play it casual. Love the class, myself. :-)

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Adrian Guardian.9480

Adrian Guardian.9480

Hiya,

rangers are OK but for new players Guardians are much better and easier to understand

I made both a ranger and a guardian first day, and have played them in parallel. I liked guardian better at first because of the lower complexity, but ranger grew on me by mid-level, for the same reason.
I tried out the first 5 levels of ranger play just now, it’s gotten much better. You get to start with a longbow (instead of that axe that does little damage and aggros nearby neutral mobs), and two rounds of pet health buffs means not even the cats/dogs/birds die as long as you heal every now and then.

@OP: When it comes to lvl 80 balance: don’t worry so much, it gets upended every 6 months (next time is 2 months from now).

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Yeah I use my heal at full HP if my pet is going to die and swap isn’t available. Of coarse I will recall it too. Well I try to do this anyhow ;-)

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Leveling in gw is not that big deal as in most mmo. Lvl 1-79 is just the warmup, the game comes from 80. There are no places whats are restricted for low levels.
Play ranger if you have some mazohism because everybody hates rangers. (Yes, most of the other rangers too)
I suggest to main first a warrior or guardian.
I say it because i dont want you to gain bad experiences and leave the game

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

How’s ranger in pvp? I mean, few days ago I started enjoying roaming with my ranger, but I was curious if ranger is still suboptimal in pvp, or it becomes current meta. Based on metabattle it seems that there are some meta builds for ranger. But I wanted to ask what are your opinions. There isn’t many of rangers in top pvp teams.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

So, you are asking about cPvP or WvW? There is a some difference.
In WvW:
For roaming LB-zerk ranger is OK (just try to not fight in closed spaces and always use your main advantage - huge distance of attack)
for mapchat_pug_zerg_fights not so OK, but still viable (you can kill the same rangers, staff eles etc from sides of blob)
for organized guild zerg fights - useless (you would never even hurt anyone and will be just steamrolled in seconds).

In cPvP:
Not bad if you are in condi build and can play it right. But I’m not too familiar with that game-mode, so can’t say too much here

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

(edited by SilverWF.4789)

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Hattoni.8597

Why we rarely see Rangers in tournaments? Why ranger is useless in organized guild fights? What about meele ranger then?

In roaming it doesn’t really matter what class you pick, because most often you fight people who are under 80 or newcomers. I rarely meet experienced players. I’m doing great with gs/hammer medi guard in roaming, I kill every class, every build – even cele eles. It’s not because I have advantages over them, it’s because most people are pretty much new and they don’t really know how certain classes work. (And I’m not saying I’m pro, it’s just an example).

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Play what YOU want to play.. If the ranger looks cool to you, make one and start messing around with it.. In time you’ll grow onto the character (or delete it and create something else) and you’ll get the hang of its advantages and disadvantages..

By playing yourself you get the best insight into any profession..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Hattoni.8597

That’s true, but if you like playing in example condi/terrormancer in pve then it doesn’t matter how much you love your char you will still have hard times. Same here, if I care about, in example, roaming then I wouldn’t pick bunker guard, because it won’t work – I’m trying to get your opinions if ranger is ok, or rather pretty much useless in wvw as well as in pvp.

Thanks for replies.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Actually, Rangers are one of the better classes for PvP.

But the only way to go is condi (or celestial variation of condi).
Rangers in Condi builds are excellent at duels or 1v1 fights… Which is usually bunkering a point – but for that role, Turret Engie is just the way to go.
And why would you pick a dueling Ranger, when you can simply go ham with d/d Ele and provide ten times better AoE utility in case you get into team fights.

That’s the reason why Rangers are so rare in tournaments.
But for the PvP as such – Ranger is perfectly fine. Durable, Deadly, and fits the meta.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

SilverWF.4789

Hambow warrior - answer for everything

Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Hattoni.8597

It’s so good to hear that I have to go condi, I do love every condition build in gw2.

There is one more thing I’m worried about – is ranger weaker than other classes because of the fact that there is also pet? Let’s AI isn’t working very good, so how much does ranger rely on its pet?

@SilverWF
It’s sad, but: cele ele is answer for pretty much everything.

(edited by Hattoni.8597)

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

SilverWF.4789

Why ranger is useless in organized guild fights? What about meele ranger then?

Because organized guild fights are not only “run in blob ololo”. This is something about teamwork – combos. What ranger can give here to group? Water fields? Fire fields? Blasts? Extremely high survivability? Great AOE-buffs? For this fights meta is warriors and guardians. And well-necros sure. All other – go roaming
Do not even try to say about spirits – they are squishy and will be melted in seconds.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Because organized guild fights are not only “run in blob ololo”. This is something about teamwork – combos.

When I play my ranger with the guildies, my sole task is to take out specific targets insanely quickly, whilst maintaining a safe distance of the heavy melee fight.. Pure DPS role, combined with some nice shutdowns (shortbow #5, LB#4, Wolf’s Fear).

It’s not because you roam with a guild that you have to be in the front line of the fights..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

SilverWF.4789

Because organized guild fights are not only “run in blob ololo”. This is something about teamwork – combos.

When I play my ranger with the guildies, my sole task is to take out specific targets insanely quickly, whilst maintaining a safe distance of the heavy melee fight.. Pure DPS role, combined with some nice shutdowns (shortbow #5, LB#4, Wolf’s Fear).

It’s not because you roam with a guild that you have to be in the front line of the fights..

Read my previous posts and you will find an answer about your enemies.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

The problem with ranger: you can be ok (with a lot of practice) but never the best

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Hattoni.8597

I hate it. Every time I find something interesting it is weak or not really that good to be competitive. The thing is that current meta = hambow, 2 engis, cele ele, necro(?). It depress me that bunker guard is worse than turret engi in holding a point. ‘Play what you want’ is correct, but you will never be ‘the best’ or at least better than celestial meta. I only wait for new changes, every new patch there is a small chance for balance.

Anyway, thanks for help.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

SilverWF.4789

I hate it. Every time I find something interesting it is weak or not really that good to be competitive. The thing is that current meta = hambow, 2 engis, cele ele, necro(?). It depress me that bunker guard is worse than turret engi in holding a point. ‘Play what you want’ is correct, but you will never be ‘the best’ or at least better than celestial meta. I only wait for new changes, every new patch there is a small chance for balance.

Anyway, thanks for help.

Sadly, but there is no class or spec what will perfectly fit the EVERY game part.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Hattoni.8597

I’m really sorry for so many stupid questions, but: if I’m not a hardcore player, who want to participate in highest level tournaments, my preferences are: wvw roaming and many guild runs (casual guild), I mostly run full zerker or condi builds and I like being selfish (I mean, it’s not only about gw2, but pretty much every mmo game), and the most important – I like challenges, I like working on a class to understand it, I like classes which seem weak at first, but then if mastered it becomes hard to deal with them – then do you think I might find ranger (or any of rangers builds) interesting to play? I mean, not really interesting, but rather if ranger fits my preferences.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

SilverWF.4789

I think you can try every class.
Rangers - are fairly weak in close quarters in zerk gear. (Sure there will be a lot, who will argue). Range DPS - main role. For cPVP use condi and be an half-melee
Necros - fits well for zerg runs (in zerk) and while roaming (as condi)
Elem - really "hard to PRO" class, but after that you will be just IMBA, but they need celestial gear for that. And use both daggers.
Warrior and Guardian - pretty straightforward tanky classes. They seems like strong classes and they are. Melee all the way.
Thief - pretty squishy if play like Warrior, but incredible strong if play him like Thief. Melee all the way for Zerk and half-melee for condi.
Engineer - strong as Zerk and even stronger as condi. Half-melee mostly.

I like ranger because this is only class, who using bow and using it like bowman, not just to occasionally bomb something.
But my most lovely is Engineer and I can say, this is true universal class in the game. Too bad Engis would never get a love from Anet

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Ranger its just fine guys. There was a huge ranger hate for the first two years of the game because it was really lacking. But since the last september path the ranger is in good shape.

PvE : Ranger was always in a correct spot in PvE. With spotter/frost spirit you could bring a good party buff and even if the dmg was lacking a good ranger was still able to help its team. Now with the 4th best dps of the game since september its in a really good place. But he’s in the same situation as engineer. They don’t have enough dps to beat Ele or Thief at that game, but don’t bring as much to the party as profession like guardian, mesmer or warrior so they are just not party of much record run. They are still great in speed run, just not record run, which is not an issue for 99% of the players.

sPvP : There is a couple of really good build for the ranger there. They lack the versatility of an engineer or elementalist so they are not usually part of the best team, but again, that’s not an issue for most players. Ranger can be a powerful profession in sPvP in unranked or ranked arena.

WvW roaming : That was their strongest point before and they are still good at it. Same old same old, they are not the best profession out there, but are you an elite player? No, then no bid deal, have fun, they will do the job, they are not lacking by that much that they will be unplayable.

WvW Zerg : They are not as bad as ppl thing there. You can be an interesting hybrid melee train/gank for a casual guild or just pug zerg. Most serious WvW guild won’t accept them, but other than that they do ok.

Its recurring with the Ranger. They excel nowhere, but they are never useless (now).

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

It’s so good to hear that I have to go condi, I do love every condition build in gw2.

There is one more thing I’m worried about – is ranger weaker than other classes because of the fact that there is also pet? Let’s AI isn’t working very good, so how much does ranger rely on its pet?

@SilverWF
It’s sad, but: cele ele is answer for pretty much everything.

Ranger isn’t weaker. He is harder to maintain, but doesn’t mean that he is weaker. Your pets can do some really nice stuff. Especially a Wolf that goes into PvP by default (you just have to keep one). The fear that can be traited into 3 seconds (people turn their backs on you – tons of bleeds) is priceless.

Well, there’s plenty of experiments ahead of you. Pets can indeed be a pain in the a**. For both you and your enemy. So it’s fine.

makeing a ranger

in Ranger

SilverWF.4789

Pets can indeed be a pain in the a**. For both you and your enemy. So it’s fine.

That’s why my pet in the passive mode most of the time