name change of ranger

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

i dont do a lot of pve, but when doing pve, i always get that one ranger staying on shortbow + longbow (pve as in dungeons)

i tell him to switch to smth else, but most of em went ‘lol wat? ranger is called ranger cause its played at range’

worst is, they refuse to learn, they dont want to take advice etc

(ofc i tried to be as polite as possible)

so my suggestion would be to change the proffession name to something else, everything is pretty fine, just that not

i think it would help to get rid of this wrong idea of ranger, what are ur thoughts about that?

edit: ah and found this as well, as i saw other ppl experiencing it as well, i just created this thread(here in this forums, not the one on reddit), ofc not mostly it is ranger based, but most of the times

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2c80u3/what_do_you_guys_and_gals_do_with_people_that/

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

(edited by Wyrden.4713)

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Don’t force your own beliefs upon others. If they enjoy that playstyle then it is none of your business to enforce your playstyle to anyone else.

If you don’t like the way someone plays then find likeminded individuals that you’re comfortable being around with.

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: AdziH.2360

AdziH.2360

You go Taku!

=Hugs his LB=

There is a “Range” in “Ranger” you know…

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

i tell him to switch to smth else, but most of em went ‘lol wat? ranger is called ranger cause its played at range’

At least, you can say that they aren’t called Rangers because of that. The name Ranger comes from the Long-range reconnaissance patrols (LRRP), bad kitten s units that does long-range operations inside of enemy territory. So, something like a Rambo+SWAT unit crazy enough to kill the enemies on they backyard (think of Inglourious Basterds movie).

More info on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Reconnaissance_Patrol

EDIT: Another example of a Ranger: Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, from the G.I.Joe franquise.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

(edited by Morbridae.8607)

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

At least, you can say that they aren’t called Rangers because of that. The name Ranger comes from the Long-range reconnaissance patrols (LRRP), bad kitten s units that does long-range operations inside of enemy territory. So, something like a Rambo+SWAT unit crazy enough to kill the enemies on they backyard (think of Inglourious Basterds movie).

its something!

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well OP, while I agree with the mentality, I don’t want the name to be changed as it dishonors the GW1 Ranger, whom we all really miss..

As I’ve said before the reason I didn’t start playing ranger until relatively recently was because I think bows are the most boring weapons to ever use in a video game, as I’m just more into a blend of magic and close range weaponry, which is why I played mesmer, necro, and ele first. I just can’t fathom how anyone could be content to sit in the back and shoot arrows while doing nothing. Its disgusting for me to think about. Shortbow is the worst offender, and will have barely any reason to be used after the axe gets buffed. Longbow is bad because it completely tosses the notion of group play to the wind with a low CD knockback that you never need in PvE, and in general forcing you to be away from your teammates. I see the merit of thee glassbow builds in pvp, and while they’re not my style I think people should run them if they like that style, although spirty condition builds seem to contribute more in pvp.

Anyway when I finally played ranger I feel in love with so many things, including the GS and sword MH in general, all of the offhands and I really loved the idea of throwing an unlimited number of bouncing frostfangs (my next project). I also loved the regen-condi-spirit-tank builds in pvp. I’m excited to finish leveling mine (solo q leveling gets slow) so I can bring the frostspotter build to dungeons and swing my sword as much as I want!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The name is fine, I think we just need to increase people’s vocabulary so they realize the “range” in ranger is not in any way related to bows. It could be this whole education campaign, we’ll have commercials and continuing education workshops, Ryan Seacrest will host a charity event that teaches less fortunate kids about word origins, bumper stickers that say “the word ‘ranger’ isn’t related to using ranged bows in MY reality” and it has a picture of Calvin cutting a bow in half. I think this could really take off.

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

But to what?

Hunter ? – Would’ve been even worse
Beastmaster ? – And master of nothing after pet dies to AoE?
Trapper ? – Barely anyone uses traps effectivly nowadays
Scout ? – Now that would be ok, but why would the scout carry some animal with himself? Especially one being a host of suicidal hotline ?

I would make it easier and name it “Frostspotter”.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

name change of ranger

in Ranger

nearlight.3064

If we change the name of ranger, then we’d have to change the name of the mesmer profession. Probably to “thief fud” or “veilbot”. Since thats what mesmers actually do, instead of mesmerizing their foes..

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Ijs, mesmers have it relatively easy against thieves.

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I found a few ascended rings sitting in my bank so I stuffed them on my mesmer. I have absolutely no idea how to play her and I was slaughtering thieves in WvW. Mesmers are ridiculous.

name change of ranger

in Ranger

nearlight.3064

I was referring to glass GS/staff shatter, their only viable pvp build.

If you brought a PU condition build into WvW, then yeah thieves will die… unless they’re smart enough to just run away.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Wyrden pick another class m8, or another game.
Everyone should play as they wish.
You ask about my ideea?
I think you are a poor team player and you should play solo with whatever weapon you like.
This is a casual MMO not a hardcore one.

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

EDIT: Another example of a Ranger: Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, from the G.I.Joe franquise.

No, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are obviously ninjas!

name change of ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

No, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are obviously ninjas!

Multiclass ftw!!!

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)