newbie thoughts about last ranger nerfs

in Ranger

Posted by: igor.6159

igor.6159

guys, guys, guys! tell me, are you SERIOUS? you are whining, becouse your lovely “BUNKER BM RANGER” build got nerfed?
now think yourself WHAT are you using now? is it supposed to play that way? WAS THAT SUPPOSED THAT ALL YOUR DAMAGE COME FROM PET AND YOU SELF ARE ONLY BUFFER FOR HIM??
you want dps? go zerkers and lb or sb, i dont really think 1200 => 900 range will THAT MUCH affect gameplay like you are all complaining.

again guys. think yourself. was that supposed initially, that all your damage comes from pet? not? i think, not.
yep, im only lvl 56 ranger. but guys. honestly i was really surpriced when i got to forums and found that 99% of posted builds are “pet dmg you watch”. wait, what about making dmg yourself??

i see ppl post things like “you should invest 50 traits for longbow” like it is bad. WTF GUYS? you like ranger for his bows but dont want to get bow traits?
WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?

in Ranger

Posted by: gracemillian.1908

gracemillian.1908

It’s okay igor. I think you would understand when you get to lvl 80 and try to do dungeons and people say “lol Ranger” and don’t make parties with you in it.

in Ranger

Posted by: igor.6159

igor.6159

It’s okay igor. I think you would understand when you get to lvl 80 and try to do dungeons and people say “lol Ranger” and don’t make parties with you in it.

yep. becouse only way ranger is playing now is PET playing, not ranger by self. shame on you, exploiters

in Ranger

Posted by: Whatever.8924

Whatever.8924

yep. becouse only way ranger is playing now is PET playing, not ranger by self. shame on you, exploiters

If all you want to do is PvE and solo WvW and PvP then you will probably never have a problem. But even before the patch, most experienced groups would ask for someone other than a ranger. I don’t think the patch made it any better and may have made it worse.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rafiee.2935

Rafiee.2935

I’ve never been kicked from a party for being a ranger and none of my friends that play ranger have been kicked either. I think you’ve been terribly unlucky

http://feverclan.com/forums/forum.html
LvL 80 Ranger on Sea of Sorrow’s
Fever Clan[FC] Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Don’t forget how useless we are in WvW groups.

Cept that water field.. that beautiful water field… <3

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

ok igor settle down, don’t be jumping to conclusions and don’t overreact.

Rangers, compared to other classes, don’t benefit much from Power, because Ranger skills are less affected by it. It’s said to be that way because Rangers have a pet. However, a pet doesn’t benefit from the ranger’s power stat. A pet has its own stats gained through the beastmaster trait line.

So, power is kind of useless to a ranger, compared to other classes. Precision and Power and crit damage go hand in hand, so they are kind of bad to pick for a Ranger. It’s possible, but you won’t do as much damage as other classes with the same amount. So the best way to squeeze damage out of the longbow is to go all out berserker and completely ignore your own survivibility apart from some utility skills. Even with this build the longbow isn’t that great, apart from its superior range and you die extremely quickly.

What’s left for the Ranger to pick, for personal offensive gain, is condition damage. Rangers do good condition damage with traps, so that’s a good build that’s been used since release. Rangers benefit as much from condition damage as any other class. (on a side note: Ranger trap traits are in the prescion trait line but benefit nothing from precision)

As for defensive stats, the ranger benefits from those as much as any other class. I’m talking about Toughness, Vitality and Healing power. These are all survivibility stats. Healing power only affects the heals used on you, so not the heals you use on others.

So a ranger can choose between condition damage, toughness, vitality, healing power and be on level ground with other classes.

The only way to make the pet deal more damage and have more health is by going into the beastmaster tree. This tree increases the pet stats based on how many trait points you put into it. This tree also increases the ranger’s healing power. Ranger have some nice healing skills with Signet of the Wild and Healing Spring, so that seems like a good way to go.

Then we have another trait line which has toughness and condition damage and some great defensive traits. So, that looks right up our alley. The Vitality line didn’t have any good traits so people steered clear of those. That changed in this latest patch though.

So, an almost obvious build would be to buff the pet stats as much as possible while keeping yourself alive as much as possible through toughness, healing power (and vitality). This was the 2nd viable all-round build for ranger next to the trap build.

That’s basically it. We had 2 good all-round builds: Traps or bunker+pet. Yes the bunker+pet might have been a bit strong compared to other bunker build classes, since rangers could be both very survivible and have a pet that can do the damage. The ranger could also cover both the power/crit type damage through the pet and the condition damage through his own weapons and stats. But it wasn’t like ANet left us with much choice. If a ranger can’t personally benefit as much from power/precision as other classes, then all that is left for us is condition damage, survivibility and pet damage.

Now pets have been nerfed by up to 50%, which is a nerf to the bunker build. Not everyone liked the trap build style, but there isn’t much left. Of course there is a slight over-reaction, because bunker BM is still possible, but it’s not as good as it used to be.

It’s like whenever the rangers have a viable build, ANet takes it away and even nerfs things that make no sense. Like bringing the shortbow down from 1200 to 900 range, which is the same range as throwing an axe. It’s been 1200 for a year now. No wonder we’re all kitten ed off at ANet. If not for the pet nerfs, then for the shortbow nerf.