rangers' rooting problem?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dos.7052

Dos.7052

Hey guys, I know it has mentioned by many players many times. But I still wish to clarify what is anet idea regarding to rangers’ rooting problem of sword skill? Is it designed as it is to root ranger when they cast sword skill ( skill 1) or just a bug which has been ignored by anet for over one year?

I love the sword because it has cool moves and powerful with many off hand weapons, but the rooting problem is way annoying when you need to dodge or move around your enemies’ attack. and it is not quite effective even when you do sword skill 1 manually.

And if anet said it is their intention to do, hen I am afraid I have to change my legendary weapon plan to other option. -.-

in Ranger

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

It’s not a problem, it’s a feature.

in Ranger

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

You sound like a person who’s dealt with their fair share of developers.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

It is intended.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Dos.7052

so it is coooooooooooooooool to "rooting yourself when you want to dodge enemies’ attack? where did I get that deja vu from? oh yeah, WoW!

I understand you are just kidding, but rooting is one side but you can’t interrupt yourself is another side. when you under sword skill 1’s slash and kick, you can’t use second skill ( like serpent strike ) until it finished, not even dodging.

well, I am not asking anet to correct it as " bug" or some, I just like to clarify it cos it is concerned my legendary plan.

in Ranger

Dos.7052

It is intended.

Q.Q so anet did confirmed that?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Extracts from December 10 thread about class balance, relating to MH Sword :

Main-hand sword
I just want to clarify for good that main hand sword is currently working as intended. All movement skills cannot be interrupted by dodging and this is currently intentional. It has a very specific play style, and I would like it to remain. I understand that rangers want a one handed melee option that is more mobile, but that will have to wait, as I know there are a mix of players who also like how this weapon plays and I do not want to take away one of the more unique playstyles that we have and replace it with something that is fairly common.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/5#post3149107

I just had a wacky idea that might make some aspects of MH sword less frustrating. I’ll test it out when I get in to work and report back.
Jon

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/7#post3155858

Last I saw about sword:

P.S. I tried some stuff on MH sword but it was a marginal improvement at best. I’ll ping some programmers today about one other way we might handle it, but don’t hold your breath.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/8#post3162014

in Ranger

Posted by: Bios.1398

Bios.1398

If it worked free form like thief sword it would be so much better but yes, this is the way they have intended it for ranger’s version of the sword auto attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

There are 400 threads about this on the forum. The sword #1 chain is a pain in the butt however the PvP rangers like it since the leap will follow moving targets. That’s it. This could be another long argument thread but there’s not much point.

in Ranger

Dos.7052

Extracts from December 10 thread about class balance, relating to MH Sword :

Main-hand sword
I just want to clarify for good that main hand sword is currently working as intended. All movement skills cannot be interrupted by dodging and this is currently intentional. It has a very specific play style, and I would like it to remain. I understand that rangers want a one handed melee option that is more mobile, but that will have to wait, as I know there are a mix of players who also like how this weapon plays and I do not want to take away one of the more unique playstyles that we have and replace it with something that is fairly common.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/5#post3149107

I just had a wacky idea that might make some aspects of MH sword less frustrating. I’ll test it out when I get in to work and report back.
Jon

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/7#post3155858

Last I saw about sword:

P.S. I tried some stuff on MH sword but it was a marginal improvement at best. I’ll ping some programmers today about one other way we might handle it, but don’t hold your breath.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/8#post3162014

jocksy you are so sweet and thank your for your reply, so I just put my legendary sword plan on “hold” status for further changes.

in Ranger

Dos.7052

There are 400 threads about this on the forum. The sword #1 chain is a pain in the butt however the PvP rangers like it since the leap will follow moving targets. That’s it. This could be another long argument thread but there’s not much point.

never meant to argue it, just want to make sure anet’s attitude. thank to jocksy now I know it alot.

in Ranger

Dos.7052

now I see the “true value” of that rooting issue

XC

in Ranger

Posted by: Valerith.6512

Valerith.6512

It’s not only following moving targets. It also follows stealthed players, at least for first 2 leaps. And if he shadowsteps/blinks, then you kind of target him by auto leaping.

[SHN]
Blacktide

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

And it prevents you from stomping and dodging even in pvp

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

yea it sucks in pvp too. rooting essentially prevents you from moving to avoid damage ie:can no longer strafe behind an opponent etc.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Think of your normal dodge as a secondary dodge when using the 1h sword and your weapon evade skills as your main dodge.

It may require some of you to improve your reaction time to successfully pull it off.

Considering that once you master this you have up to 5 evades on a single weapon set it’s a skill worth the time it takes to master (automatically knowing when your able to use your normal dodge or weapon evade is part of the skill as you can normal dodge in between the attack chain).

Also deselecting auto targeting will help prevent Rangers leaping to their doom when fighting near a ledge or cliff.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.