rangers suck in wvw ?

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: greenarrow.2784

greenarrow.2784

In zergs, rangers are bad. No proper aoe, best burst is easily reflectable and there are millions of reflects in the game. For heal staff 1 has to change. It is a good weapon but auto sucks.

In roaming, in my opinion, with the latest changes ranger/druid will become less powerful. Especially with the boon stealing from thief and warrior. Everyone says ranger has good mobility but i think it has good speed. Pure running speed. Rangers do not have a teleport skill that can be used to jump on the stairs, walls, etc. Still it is way too fast

For me problem is with ranger weapons and utility skills. Staff 1, shortbow, longbow, signets… these all need reworks for ranger to work better. (I am not including pets, I have given up that dream long ago)

But again, if you can kite well, you can easily kill many professions, but not all of them.

noticed it to my Arrow got deflected times i was fighting a mesmer who was attack a team mate and my Arrows did nothing he had a projectile bubble

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

In zergs, rangers are bad. No proper aoe, best burst is easily reflectable and there are millions of reflects in the game. For heal staff 1 has to change. It is a good weapon but auto sucks.

In roaming, in my opinion, with the latest changes ranger/druid will become less powerful. Especially with the boon stealing from thief and warrior. Everyone says ranger has good mobility but i think it has good speed. Pure running speed. Rangers do not have a teleport skill that can be used to jump on the stairs, walls, etc. Still it is way too fast

For me problem is with ranger weapons and utility skills. Staff 1, shortbow, longbow, signets… these all need reworks for ranger to work better. (I am not including pets, I have given up that dream long ago)

But again, if you can kite well, you can easily kill many professions, but not all of them.

noticed it to my Arrow got deflected times i was fighting a mesmer who was attack a team mate and my Arrows did nothing he had a projectile bubble

Yeah there is a lot of projectile hate in wvw. It helps to spend a little time on each class so you learn the visual/audio cues and the cool downs for these skills. That way you can try to save your weapon swap for these moments.

Most of those skills won’t affect our melee weapons and our staff auto isn’t a projectile so it goes right through a lot of it.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

greenarrow.2784

Yeah there is a lot of projectile hate in wvw. It helps to spend a little time on each class so you learn the visual/audio cues and the cool downs for these skills. That way you can try to save your weapon swap for these moments.

Most of those skills won’t affect our melee weapons and our staff auto isn’t a projectile so it goes right through a lot of it.

i find druid staff skills lack any condition these beam do dmg and thats all no bleeding or weakness or anything

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

i find druid staff skills lack any condition these beam do dmg and thats all no bleeding or weakness or anything

What kind of build are you running? If you really want to you can add condi’s through traits and sigils.

LGN

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

greenarrow.2784

What kind of build are you running? If you really want to you can add condi’s through traits and sigils.

not playing ranger anymore atm tried lot of build tried condition but hated shortbow range

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

I still play old school Wilderness Survival and Marksmanship with a sprinkle of druid. But reflects/ranged damage cancel is too much nowadays. Your only option is to kite, and lightning reflexes becomes nearly mandatory in any build.

Either staff 1, or staff 2 has to change in order for us to become more viable in zergs, but it is my opinion. Also tagging is not that good, so that would be nice. But I have zero hopes.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

not playing ranger anymore atm tried lot of build tried condition but hated shortbow range

Shortbow is probably the weakest weapon in the entire game. You’d be better off running any other weapon set

LGN

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

People only play druids for roaming/duels, which do nothing of significant value for the mist war score.

A good Roamer makes at least double the points like a Blobber. Blobbing is just one way that unskilled PVE Peeps also can do something. The alone are not capable of surviving.

(edited by Magira.6390)

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

People only play druids for roaming/duels, which do nothing of significant value for the mist war score.

A good Roamer makes at least double the points like a Blobber. Blobbing is just one way that unskilled PVE Peeps also can do something. The alone are not capable of surviving.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that fantasy of ignoring towers/keeps to kill 3-5 stragglers every few minutes is your idea of usefulness.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

Yeah, keep telling yourself that fantasy if ignoring towers/keeps to kill 3-5 stragglers every few minutes is your idea of usefulness.

It’s not my fault if you can Towers and Keeps not solo.^^

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

Stomping 3 players every 5 minutes grants more points than a keep. Add killed dollys and flipped camps, maybe even some towers and a single player or a small group can definitely make more points than a blob, especially if said blob does nothing but running in circles, flipping undefended paper towers (which can be done faster by smaller groups). Blobs are usually not very efficient when it comes to points.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Yeah, keep telling yourself that fantasy if ignoring towers/keeps to kill 3-5 stragglers every few minutes is your idea of usefulness.

Before I went to bed last night I wanted to hop on my alt account and knock out my daily real quick. I figured I’d hop in the zerg to get it done as quick as possible. After about 45 min of watching them get 1 pushed while repeatedly slamming their face into SM, and having of the entire zerg (about 80% of EB population) WP back and forth to defend keeps, I gave up on them, swapped to my ranger and went and flipped a camp and tower (where I killed 2 people trying to defend) in under 10 min.

The entire time I was with the zerg we capped nothing, not even a camp. In less than a quarter of the time by myself I capped a tower and camp.

LGN

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Ya, zergs are horrifyingly inefficient except for a handful of commanders that have an intellectual understanding of WvW. I often think about how one could write a program to perfectly assign the needed players all over the map, sort of like an ant colony — or I suppose literally the Zerg with a collective consciousness. That server would be unstoppable. The ideal server would only use a zerg to counter enemy zergs, and the rest of the time the groups would be divided up into small guild groups sneaking tower caps and defending camps, etc.

TS roamers are easily contributing more points than any other type of player. That’s the closest you can get to perfection.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Before I went to bed last night I wanted to hop on my alt account and knock out my daily real quick. I figured I’d hop in the zerg to get it done as quick as possible. After about 45 min of watching them get 1 pushed while repeatedly slamming their face into SM, and having of the entire zerg (about 80% of EB population) WP back and forth to defend keeps, I gave up on them, swapped to my ranger and went and flipped a camp and tower (where I killed 2 people trying to defend) in under 10 min.

The entire time I was with the zerg we capped nothing, not even a camp. In less than a quarter of the time by myself I capped a tower and camp.

Stop following kitten commanders, or your server has some issues with WvW guilds that don’t raid.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Stop following kitten commanders, or your server has some issues with WvW guilds that don’t raid.

But if the commander is kitten and roaming is useless what should I do? Stand afk at spawn? EotM? Log out?

LGN

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Nope – you do what you did and be done. That is what I typically do. Not sure why some people don’t get the roaming, scouting, and back cap concept of a single player. And this isn’t even factoring in the NPC and Merc camps and veterans.

Not directed at you JH – I know you get it.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

But if the commander is kitten and roaming is useless what should I do? Stand afk at spawn? EotM? Log out?

I’m pretty sure your server can’t be so terrible as to not have a single competent commander at any time of the day. Maybe it’s time to transfer.

Justifying roaming because you’ve got no competent active WvW guild raids or commanders is a kitten poor excuse for saying “ranger is great because its only good build shines when you have to do subpar activities because I can’t find a good commander or guild raid.”

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

I’m pretty sure your server can’t be so terrible as to not have a single competent commander at any time of the day. Maybe it’s time to transfer.

Justifying roaming because you’ve got no competent active WvW guild raids or commanders is a kitten poor excuse for saying “ranger is great because its only good build shines when you have to do subpar activities because I can’t find a good commander or guild raid.”

So just to be clear, your argument is that if a person logs on and there isn’t a competent commander on, instead of taking the initiative to go get things done on their own they should transfer……
k.

LGN

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: thancock.6307

thancock.6307

Funny enough rangers aren’t completely useless in WvW atm. They are in a MUCH better position than rangers were Pre-HoT. Thing is, the meta for large scale battles has changed but 90% of the people in WvW haven’t figured that out yet. They think its still necro well bomb pirate ship meta. During this meta, rangers were completely useless. So the style that most Pug Commanders are commanding in, yes ranger is useless. The only people that have really figured out the meta are the GvG guilds. I wouldn’t say druid is top tier but it definitely isn’t useless. But if all you are doing is following random commanders, chances are they arent running the new meta and it will probably be a while before the majority of the wvw population figures it out.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

So just to be clear, your argument is that if a person logs on and there isn’t a competent commander on, instead of taking the initiative to go get things done on their own they should transfer……
k.

No, my argument, if you bothered to read at the beginning of the thread, is that ranger is deficient in WvW because the optimal goals of the format, to take keeps and other objectives and wipe out the opposing teams in large scale combat.

Then you come in and say ranger is not bad because they can settle for roaming in a kittenty build that’s inferior to daredevil/scrapper/warrior for gank squads and just happens to shine in duels.

So grab your bags, take your crappy build back to a dueling server in spvp and be done with it. Don’t go encouraging more people to take crappy gimmick builds into a format they’re not good at only to find out groups don’t want them and want eles/revs/guardians/necros/warriors instead.

Funny enough rangers aren’t completely useless in WvW atm. They are in a MUCH better position than rangers were Pre-HoT. Thing is, the meta for large scale battles has changed but 90% of the people in WvW haven’t figured that out yet. They think its still necro well bomb pirate ship meta. During this meta, rangers were completely useless. So the style that most Pug Commanders are commanding in, yes ranger is useless. The only people that have really figured out the meta are the GvG guilds. I wouldn’t say druid is top tier but it definitely isn’t useless. But if all you are doing is following random commanders, chances are they arent running the new meta and it will probably be a while before the majority of the wvw population figures it out.

Pirate ship doesn’t exist in TC. It’s all the new and improved melee 10+ guardian+5 rev+1-2 frontline ele train backed by some epi bombs on necro for immob and a couple backline ele.

It just so happens this new meta doesn’t suit ranger any better because melee trains are tickled by your longbow, and the retal those guardian trains are putting out crap on ranger.

The best you can do as a ranger is try to harass their backline eles with longbow, but if any of them have a brain and guardians/backline revs bought their projectile reflects/deflects on top of ele magnetic aura, you won’t do much of use.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

Shortbow is the worst weapon in the game for any build, Longbow is a weapon with 5 good buttons. Conditions come from traits/sigils.

I absolutely love my druid for roaming and use longbow/staff for composite damage condi/power damage (~2k power ~1k condi ~65% crit unbuffed ~85% crit with fury). I really love madking/rampager with skirmishing/survival/druid. I’ve been solo roaming for ~2 weeks with it and have won countless 1v1, 1v2, and 1v3’s. I genuinely think there’s only 2 bad matchups, and one of the specs/classes is extremely niche to find roaming.

compared to the other popular druid builds, I played pure power druid and thought it was entirely too counterable by more classes than composite. Pure boonbot ranger was amazingly boring and lacked the kill speed I like, simply lower kills per hour. Pure condi sword/x axe/x has so many weak matchups and relies on people to play into your hand to land most of your condi burst.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I still play old school Wilderness Survival and Marksmanship with a sprinkle of druid. But reflects/ranged damage cancel is too much nowadays. Your only option is to kite, and lightning reflexes becomes nearly mandatory in any build.

Either staff 1, or staff 2 has to change in order for us to become more viable in zergs, but it is my opinion. Also tagging is not that good, so that would be nice. But I have zero hopes.

If they made AA on this 1500 range or increased damage from AA, problem solved and rangers wouldn’t be so dependent on LB anymore, therefore no worry about reflects.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

The whole problem with rangers as other people have stated is they are not useful inside of a zerg. They have no clear identity; there is to much projectile hate for range to be useful other than poking the sides, healing power scaling is abysmal/the healing skills them selves are clunky, the rest of our support skills are greatly overshadowed by other classes that have more relevant tools and we lack stability and buffs to be useful at the front line.

What rangers are good at in wvw:

• Resetting fights
  • Self sustaining
  • Quick successive burst
  • High mobility
  • High pressure at range

Which leans to solid roaming and small scale fights. Honestly, to the average person looking to pick up ranger/druid for wvw, only do so if you look to flip objectives in groups of 5 or less. If your looking for zerg play dragon hunter is a much more solid option atm. Literally everything ranger brings to the group, dragon hunter can bring and more.

That said the most impressive and useful thing I’ve ever seen a ranger do, is keep swords on our keep pretty much all of prime for about two weeks(if I remember correctly the guy was on yb at the time). With the amount of stealth, survivability and mobility this one druid had, it was very hard to catch him, and often when we did finally get him, there was 20 or so of us committed to catching him. He wasted a lot of peoples time, and killed a lot of solo people with various terrain tricks. You can useful to zerg by not being in it; simply by disrupting the hell out of opponents zerg.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

That said the most impressive and useful thing I’ve ever seen a ranger do, is keep swords on our keep pretty much all of prime for about two weeks(if I remember correctly the guy was on yb at the time). With the amount of stealth, survivability and mobility this one druid had, it was very hard to catch him, and often when we did finally get him, there was 20 or so of us committed to catching him. He wasted a lot of peoples time, and killed a lot of solo people with various terrain tricks. Your useful to zerg by not being in it, but rather disrupting the hell out of thiers.

Asura with a dragon mask?

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

That said the most impressive and useful thing I’ve ever seen a ranger do, is keep swords on our keep pretty much all of prime for about two weeks(if I remember correctly the guy was on yb at the time). With the amount of stealth, survivability and mobility this one druid had, it was very hard to catch him, and often when we did finally get him, there was 20 or so of us committed to catching him. He wasted a lot of peoples time, and killed a lot of solo people with various terrain tricks. Your useful to zerg by not being in it, but rather disrupting the hell out of thiers.

Asura with a dragon mask?

Yup that’s the one.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

SB may be bad, but it has uses. I can flip most camps in about 30 seconds total. Can down a yak in about 5 seconds.

I mean it is ok to run from fights. If a person isn’t actively guarding something…run. You waste their time and get to things that actually matter faster.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The best you can do as a ranger is try to harass their backline eles with longbow, but if any of them have a brain and guardians/backline revs bought their projectile reflects/deflects on top of ele magnetic aura, you won’t do much of use.

The amount of magnetic auras and wall of reflections that go up in an average battle make pewpewing all but impossible these days.

It was fun back when they first buffed RF but people have long since learned how to deal with it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

alain.1659

And the shout-druid build is not a real build. It is a patience test for both you and your opponent.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

greenarrow.2784

im playing with my ranger again in wvw and im loving it, i dont care what ppl say i enjoy playing with him ! :p and with ranger i can atleast hit anything while my mesmer feels so weak like i hit nothing

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Druid is rly good for roaming, dunno why ppl says otherwise in this post

M I L K B O I S

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

wvw leaderboards disagree with you.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

alain.1659

my bad. shout trooper build is insanely good.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Hi, I been reading about this wounderful shout build of yours in like 10 different threads.
Please post your build, also if u’r EU I would love to pust your build to the test.
What do you say?

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

alain.1659

Just use the meta shout/trooper build, and if you are experienced with kiting, it makes you 1v1 monster. Important thing is you need to kite, not head on charge. You can use either GS or S/X (dagger makes it more annoying, therefore I recommend that ) Only advice I would give you is that always use lightning reflexes.

There are only few professions that bugged me; warrior(these guys hit hard), a good power thief, good condi mesmer(inspirations) and other druids. Rest is not that problematic.

Personally I hated playing that build. It felt easy (I have been kiting with my bow since I started this game, so that I can do above mediocre) but felt wrong. But this is my experience. Others might think different.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

So you use it with bow/gs ? you use 4 shouts and LR?
NM/BM/DRUID?

I think good power rev can also give you some trouble.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

alain.1659

I use it with gs, usually go with shout heal, LR, protect me, free slot (depends on my mood and enemy mostly) and shout elite. I use tiger and smokescale as my pets . nature-bm-druid soldier set trooper runes. It is really easy in wvw, compared to other professions. You can use LB for just lulz, or to mess with people more.

Yep. A really good power rev already gave me trouble. But those are not that much, or I haven’t seen many.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

Thanx, if u’r Eu and want to duel, let me know.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I also run a NM/BM/DR but use Celestial with heal/tough accessories. LB/Staff with durability runes. When things get dicey range is your friend. Since we are talking WvW then there are plenty of areas to trip the enemy up especially when they continue to chase you across the map. Sooner or later you will find the higher ground which nine out of ten times leads them to their deaths due to LB 4…

No – Druids are not bad in WvW but you do need to find something that works for you and the group you are with.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Ranger is good to pewpew enemy commanders and especially ping the odd thief down to 25% hps before he vanishes and comes to kill you with a 3 second perma-stun combo. Your side will also hate you for pewing commanders.

Druid I don’t understand, it’s a completely different class. I found it horrible and uncomfortable to use, so I went back to vanilla.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

greenarrow.2784

i wish there werent that many projectile counters, in the new zones to theres these mobs who use a projectile shield

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

i wish there werent that many projectile counters, in the new zones to theres these mobs who use a projectile shield

They just need to give brutish seals like 3-4 sec of unblockble attacks after signets activation.

rangers suck in wvw ?

in Ranger

greenarrow.2784

They just need to give brutish seals like 3-4 sec of unblockble attacks after signets activation.

even in wvw most time my projectiles get shoot back at me ,