spirit ranger good for PvE/WvW?

in Ranger

Posted by: chainskull.2691

chainskull.2691

Currently im using berserker build with valkery jewellery, shortbow, axe/warhorn.
I’m looking for a change and i either want to go trapper or spirit, and from my first impressions i feel i might enjoy spirit more. I just want to know if they are any good in PvE and WvW (as i have seem they are good in sPvP). If they are could someone like me to a good build for a spirit ranger.

im asking this before jumping in because in not the rich

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

i’d like to know this as well and if someone could please post the build. i was thinking of running spirits for queen’s farming and Orr events, probably axe/torch+horn.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

For PvE, you tend to only want one spirit (frost) but can also bring stone, and the build is power based, not condition based. As for WvW, you can run the standard PvP build but only for very small group fights as any zerging will result in the instant deaths of your spirits, leaving you incredibly vulnerable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

For PvE, you tend to only want one spirit (frost) but can also bring stone, and the build is power based, not condition based. As for WvW, you can run the standard PvP build but only for very small group fights as any zerging will result in the instant deaths of your spirits, leaving you incredibly vulnerable.

Indeed True.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Ranger

Posted by: chainskull.2691

chainskull.2691

So not that viable for WvW then, but if its good for small groups does that been its a good build for dungeons then?

id also like to know about queens and orr to

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

in WvW you bring ONLY two spirits. Sun and Stone. Why? Because protection and heavy burn does more damage then the measly 10% boost.

(average damage from warriors GS auto, in zerker is around 2-4k, depending on crits. That means 2-400 bonus damage. Minimum burn damage with zero condition damage is around 8-900)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I roamed yesterday with a spirit build, 2nd and 3rd fights i’m running spirit build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

in WvW you bring ONLY two spirits. Sun and Stone. Why? Because protection and heavy burn does more damage then the measly 10% boost.

(average damage from warriors GS auto, in zerker is around 2-4k, depending on crits. That means 2-400 bonus damage. Minimum burn damage with zero condition damage is around 8-900)

you also have to take into account attack speed… burn is limited to 1tick/s say (for example) you put down barrage and then rapid fire, you are hitting considerably more than once per second (this is still assuming frost spirit still has no icd)

… then there the fact that burning doesnt stack… a warrior throws down longbow burst… your sun spirit becomes considerably less useful… a guardian activates VoJ… same… an ele uses fire staff 3… same… and it goes on

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

you also have to take into account attack speed… burn is limited to 1tick/s say (for example) you put down barrage and then rapid fire, you are hitting considerably more than once per second (this is still assuming frost spirit still has no icd)

… then there the fact that burning doesnt stack… a warrior throws down longbow burst… your sun spirit becomes considerably less useful… a guardian activates VoJ… same… an ele uses fire staff 3… same… and it goes on

Frost Spirit proc does have a 6sec CD/person, unless it got an invisible boost.
Which means frost spirit still have less overall DPS.

Burning stacks in duration, taking into account the damage from the initial burn.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

spirits are for pvp. in wvw use gs/lb. standard pvp builds only good for solo roaming.
every old timer wvw ranger use nearly the same build after a time because of reasons what we all know.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Unless you’re zerging, LB should be in your bank.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soronthar.7236

Soronthar.7236

I find LB/axe+horn much better for my WvW roaming, with spike trap if I’m killing dolys.

I even use that combo while on a siege as I tag way more people with the axe than with the GS, I love the blast finisher+buff and the hawks help keep downed people down, even if they cloak or port away.

in Ranger

Frost Spirit proc does have a 6sec CD/person, unless it got an invisible boost.
Which means frost spirit still have less overall DPS.

Burning stacks in duration, taking into account the damage from the initial burn.

im aware of… i mean since it only ticks once/sec hten it takes a certain amount of time for the damage to come through (whilst frost spirit is instant)
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frost_Spirit also seems to indicate that it still doesnt have an ICD

Unless you’re zerging, LB should be in your bank.

i use LB while roaming, the stealth is nice for getting heals or certain attacks off and rapid fire is hilarious against theives

80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]

in Ranger

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

i use LB while roaming, the stealth is nice for getting heals or certain attacks off and rapid fire is hilarious against theives

Also pushing people off cliffs, sniping retreaters, covering stealth AoEs and mesmer/thief downed skills with barrage and pushing an enemy into optimal range for throwing an axe offhand.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Also pushing people off cliffs, sniping retreaters, covering stealth AoEs and mesmer/thief downed skills with barrage and pushing an enemy into optimal range for throwing an axe offhand.

Lol no. In a 5 man or smaller you would just die to a good group. LB is useless in those fights.

in Ranger

Lol no. In a 5 man or smaller you would just die to a good group. LB is useless in those fights.

i strongly disagree (unless you stick with LB the whole fight… in which case its a problem of playing badly)