what is average dps for a lvl 80 ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wenyang.5846

Wenyang.5846

I have been looking around online and cannot seem to find any item builds. I have been wondering what is the typical damage for lvl 80 ranger and what is the highest damage. Sorry if questions are newbish, since I only played for a week and just got lvl 80.

in Ranger

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

Over 9000 deeps!

There really isn’t a reliable means of measuring DPS in the game. The combat log isn’t exportable, doesn’t have time stamps and (last I checked) doesn’t even output your pet’s damage. It’s all kind of eyeballed and gut checked.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

“Highest damage” is sort of nebulous. I assume you want sustained high damage over time. Use berserker armor with 20 (spotter)/25 (companions might)/0/25 (strength of spirit, vigorous spirits)/0 and slot sigil of strenth and a sigil of bloodlust. Use sword/axe and axe/warhorn. All berserker basically. The trick here is sigil of strength + fortifying bond + companions might is a lot of might on pet.

Ok so pets. Middle, general utility pets are drakes and devourers. If you want high damage take cats or birds. If you want buffs try moas. Weakness from black bear. Etc. experiment and find what you need. Maybe your group lacks fury. Use a red moa then. Think like that.

Utilies: healing spring, frost spirit, sick em/signet of renewal, etc. its sort of up to you. Maybe there’s a fast moving enemy, try frost trap. Be flexible.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

Over 9000 deeps!

There really isn’t a reliable means of measuring DPS in the game. The combat log isn’t exportable, doesn’t have time stamps and (last I checked) doesn’t even output your pet’s damage. It’s all kind of eyeballed and gut checked.

How much is that on your interface panel? I find it hard to get that high.

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Watched a Vid the other day of a LS Warrior on Youtube, was amazed at the damage per swing, was seeing 3000, 4000, 2000, per hit rolling… Was like, wait I have a Exotic LS on my Ranger… 300, 200, 600 (oops my pet hit the target), 300….

I was like… oh nice. How in the world is this even right?

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

Depends on your buffs and the target’s debuffs. With a sword in a level 80 zone I’m hitting for about 2300 a swing. Cats seem to hit for about the same but not nearly as fast. That’s when I’m solo though.

In a really good dungeon group, I’d have 25 stacks of might, 25 vuln on target, 20% extra damage from flanking, 7% from frost spirit, 10% from a potion, and I’d be running master maintenance oil and food with power and crit damage. That would easily be twice my normal damage. Unfortunately I haven’t been doing dungeons recently so I haven’t tested it.

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

0 DMG.

Just kidding. I ran a Rampager build a while back that hit for:
~300dmg/shot with Shortbow
800~1200dmg/shot with Longbow
500~700dmg/slash with Sword/Greatsword.

My build is by no ways optimized and I don’t use food or Ascended. Take this for what you want.

in Ranger

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

Over 9000 deeps!

How much is that on your interface panel? I find it hard to get that high.

Heh, sorry, that first part was a really bad joke. But, Chopps’s post is a very good start towards that goal. Sword will take some getting used to, but it’s capable of some mind blowing face melting. Looking at numbers, Ranger will always feel like they’re doing less than they are. Their damage comes from multiple sources that add up to a solid sustained output. They’ll never see the big numbers pop like a Thief’s backstab, but that’s because they’re built more for heavy pressure than quick burst. If you can work around the quirky mechanics, then they’re good at what they do.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambula.3649

Bambula.3649

in coe i make with one sword chain 1 1/2 seconds about 9k, every hit is about 3k+pet dmg, sometimes its more, sometimes its a bit less, perhaps to the group, with banner of diziplin its better and 25 stack vul+might
but i use sigil of fire cause its a extra dmg burst every 6 seconds
my pet get 25 stacks might all time with skirmishing V and sword auto chain
for every might stack i got my pet got 1 for 10 sec.

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

The way the game is set up, weapon ratio per sec is easier to calculate than DPS. You lose the benefit of the utilities and buffs though.

When I did that and tested in the Mists, ranger+pet actually did more damage than the GS warrior spamming 100b. Unfortunately some people who didn’t understand a core difference between ranger and warrior traits started trolling me and I gave up trying to get useful responses from that thread. (Ranger traits are set up to allow you to maximize power, crit% and crit damage traitlines. Warrior traits force you to choose two of those three.)

I suspect the warrior utilities (mostly might stacking) and heavy armor make it easier to do more DPS with a warrior while having an easier time surviving. But ranger DPS is plenty good too. The build Chopps gave hits most of the things you can do to maximize DPS. I prefer a bit more defense and utility so went with 20/25/25, but still get 12k from Rapid Fire and the occasional 10k Maul. My pet does a lot less damage than his build though (fortifying bond is godly if you get a lot of buffs).

in Ranger

Posted by: cyborG.3026

cyborG.3026

I use http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQJAVRjEVV2FW+Vs2Bi1DCt/B1ekJJhJXB/PgK-jEDBYfAYLQUBBK7pIaslhFRjVtATVCWXCRZCV5CQ7CydYZ1A-w

I average around 1k-1.2k a crit with the shortbow (no might) and have 50% crit chance (25 stacks of accuracy, food/oil).

My pet also crits for around 2.5k-3k (wolf)

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

thanks for the input. because on my interface it says 3000, so i am getting overwhelmed by the fact when you say over 9000

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

i use long bow and when it crits, its like 2500-3000

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

You wanna see crazy autoattacks that look like warrior damage out? Try the underwater spear. I know it sounds trolly but I’m actually be serious. The spear has some great base damage values, and with a blue level 68 spear, I average 2-2.2k autoattacks.

Now, I’m assuming why the reason that the greatsword isn’t as strong as the spear is because the greatsword has Maul. But it is just one of those “for fun” type things.

On land, the weapon with the best power damage output is the 1h sword. Particularly, listen to Chopps on this one.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

thanks for the input. because on my interface it says 3000, so i am getting overwhelmed by the fact when you say over 9000

You’ve never watched Dragonball Z; right?

“Over 9000” is a very common internet-meme. It’s usually used to describe a huge number in a not-so-serious way.

Point being; when he said it’s over 9000, he was just joking.

(On a sidenote, “over 9000” is actually a translation error in the english translation. In fact, Goku’s powerlevel is “over 8000” in that scene ^^).

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

You’ve never watched Dragonball Z; right?

“Over 9000” is a very common internet-meme. It’s usually used to describe a huge number in a not-so-serious way.

Point being; when he said it’s over 9000, he was just joking.

(On a sidenote, “over 9000” is actually a translation error in the english translation. In fact, Goku’s powerlevel is “over 8000” in that scene ^^).

haha i watched dragonball z in japanese though, so maybe its not familiar to me. nice english meme but i am not english native speaker, so. usually in other games, for example diablo 3, i can get final item build such that i can kill everything fast, but in this game, i guess i could never one shot anything, am i right?

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Watched a Vid the other day of a LS Warrior on Youtube, was amazed at the damage per swing, was seeing 3000, 4000, 2000, per hit rolling… Was like, wait I have a Exotic LS on my Ranger… 300, 200, 600 (oops my pet hit the target), 300….

No, that is the rounded up entire attack.

If you do a chain attack like 100b, each hit adds up to a total.

You see 3000-4000-5000 because each hit is adding up to a total attack, its actually hitting for 1000 each.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

(edited by Daecollo.9578)

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

i wish so much that i can check ppl’s gears and setup for this game, but it isnt happening

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambula.3649

Bambula.3649

Orga for [WUMS]

in Ranger

Posted by: SirWarriant.2319

SirWarriant.2319

with full zerk, full stack of perception runes, food and oils with my traits being 30/30/10/ 0/0 with LB and GS my long range shot on the LB at 1k range and over hits 2-4k with crits and my crit chance being over 100% with RaO and rapid fire hitting upwards of 18k and maul on the GS hitting for around 8k on crits so you get pretty decent dmg with full zerk but you die in about 3 hits

Ullr Thorgislwulf: 80 Ranger Yaks Bend sPvP & WvW
Eladan of Greenwood: 80 Ranger
Elemir Swiftblade: 80 Thief

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

nice one. i am having the similar dmg but my critical chance is only 40 i think. why is that……..

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

with full zerk, full stack of perception runes, food and oils with my traits being 30/30/10/ 0/0 with LB and GS my long range shot on the LB at 1k range and over hits 2-4k with crits and my crit chance being over 100% with RaO and rapid fire hitting upwards of 18k and maul on the GS hitting for around 8k on crits so you get pretty decent dmg with full zerk but you die in about 3 hits

how did you get over 100 critical chance. what is your hp like, and will having agony improve survival-ability?

in Ranger

Posted by: profgast.7816

profgast.7816

For the record, 1H sword is the Ranger’s DPS weapon, GS is more utility, burst. As for “big damage numbers” Brazil from DnT gives a good example of the damage output rangers are capable of:

http://youtu.be/qLJg3VarKm4

in Ranger

Wenyang.5846

For the record, 1H sword is the Ranger’s DPS weapon, GS is more utility, burst. As for “big damage numbers” Brazil from DnT gives a good example of the damage output rangers are capable of:

http://youtu.be/qLJg3VarKm4

very nice lol. but i like range attack better than anything. is there a video on that? i played too much ad carry in LOL.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Ranged weapons in this game are naturally weaker than melee, due to a “risk/reward” balance philosophy, which basically states that, all other things equal, if ranged damage is as strong as melee damage, than range is better than melee because versus a melee opponent, the range has a clear advantage and will win the fight.

But then, in practice, most melee efficient classes have access to gap closers, blocks, and etc that allow them to get in on a ranged weapon user and then “stick” to them, while half the ranged weapons in the game for classes don’t offer much defensive utility once an opponent closes in on them.

It’s one of those things where it seems like the devs are trying to tweak it still to get it just perfect, but in the meantime, it’s optimal for every class in the game to have at least one melee, or closer range, option slotted, barring engineers who are a different mechanically than the other classes.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: profgast.7816

profgast.7816

Well if you want the upwards limit on what you can do with damage output using ranged weapons…

http://youtu.be/-ZR0ur5lhUg

Is probably your best bet. The player is using a very silly build mind with maxed buffs (banners, stacks)

http://youtu.be/324jMFwR3hg

still not too bad without full stacks and buffs. Very very glassy.

in Ranger

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

I think the game mechanics does damage almost the same amount but in different methods. My CD build ranger has 50+ critical damage and 50+ critical chance hits about 300-400 and with crits about 600 (1/2sec). That is 1200dps. Condition damage from fire, poison and bleed is about 600, 400, 300 (bleed on stacks). I am not too sure what damage my pets are doing, but because i crit quite often, i add might to my pet when i crit. I can put as much as 200-250 power on my pet.

When i was a rampager build, my critical chance was 65+% and using sigil of precision and other buffs, the highest i achieved was almost 100%. Shortbow was doing about 750 on crits but my ranger was very squishy. It was fabulous hearing the crits sound, but i notice champs will almost turn their attention to me within 3 secs, then i will running in circles like a coward…lol

(edited by lchan.2169)

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

…without even using a Beserker build…

I’m averaging 800-1600 on just the auto-attacks which I’d have to look up the actual attack interval on…. I’m not sure but I don’t think they’re exactly 1 second. They might even be shorter like 0.85 (shows how much I know!).

Granted, I’m running Sigil of Battle while constantly stacking on Fire Shield from torch+trap combo … which is an even bigger nightmare b/c now I have to add up Burning damage on all the targets attacking me, ticks of fire on all in melee, and whatever else my Reef drake is hitting and coning and confusing… etc.

Yeah I’m not cut out for this crap. I just figured…. Get that Ascended sword last week, finish off Valk set & ascended jewelry finally, make new Food & c400 MaintOils for more Precision when I need it… and suddenly things started dying atleast 50% faster than they used to. That’s all I know…. And it might support the stupid B.I.S. Gear grind mantra/whining … infact it probably cements it. BOOOO GEAR GRIND

Sidenote: (against gear grind)
I wish MORE pets were like reef drake BTW… I see it consistently cirtting 3500 on both its big attacks and I don’t think it even has any might on it for most of those.

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

DPS can’t be measured because of many factors. Poison can deal a lot indirect damage, so can confusion, protection, reflection and weakness.

Someone who knows how much each profession’s heal heals for can easily predict when the enemy will use it and he can apply poison to reduce healing.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Oh Oh… I just remembered… that masked troll guy was saying or showing it in a video 4000+ dps is possible IIRC. Though if i also recall there was 3 or more warriors helping stacking might on him and his bear or w/e he usually runs

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Speaking of brazil and dps on bosses, I’ve done 20,000+ with fiery greatsword into a corner (DnT doesn’t play FGS as they consider it an exploit in speed clears). I love it haha. The other big one was landing multiple reflects on lupicus for 13,000 × 5. That’s harder to do now though, isn’kitten

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

This is a solo example, and could actually have had slightly better times if offhand axe was also used for path of scars. In a group situation where you are getting sustained might and vuln, dps for this setup is really quite good, the only downside is of course that it requires that everyone in your party is running max dps and melee to be as effective as it can be since your survivability is linked directly to stuff dying quickly.