topic /15charrrrr

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

what is 'guard' used for(shout utility)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Proc’ing Nature’s Voice trait.

Really shouts should be next on ANets “to fix” list… one is just used to proc a trait, one is used for it’s secondary effect not its primary effect, one is about to be dwarfed by SoS and one is so bad I don’t think most people even know it exists.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

It is use to place you pet in an area for it to ‘guard’,

An example would be is spvp for a home point bunker to place your pet using guard on the most likely attack rout, so it start attacking/cc someone well before they get to you.

You can also use this skill as away for your pet to scout for you in wvw. place them in a location that you cant see, and you can tell when some one is there.

in pve you ckittene guard to place you pet in a location where it wont disrupt what you are trying to do, run through mobs etc.

As to how useful the abillity to do this is, well….

(edited by Eggyokeo.9705)

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

You can also use this skill as away for your pet to scout for you in wvw. place them in a location that you cant see, and you can tell when some one is there.

Might be neat to make it so a pet on guard would auto-attack any stealthed enemies who passed inside the guard area, as if they weren’t stealthed (but only for the pet).

in Ranger

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s mostly just to proc nature’s voice though it’s annoyingly hampered by that cast time.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

It’s used to give your pet stealth in the jade maw boss fight so it doesn’t get targeted by the laser while you’re in combat.

in Ranger

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Proc’ing Nature’s Voice trait.

Really shouts should be next on ANets “to fix” list… one is just used to proc a trait, one is used for it’s secondary effect not its primary effect, one is about to be dwarfed by SoS and one is so bad I don’t think most people even know it exists.

Search and rescue… go lassie go!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I use guard to give my pet lots of protection. It doesn’t die in one hit from pretty much any boss. I continue to /shrug when I hear people whining about how their pets always die and are useless during fights. I don’t seem to have that problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Well the underestimated shout (“Search and resque!”) is in fact the most powerful party skill ingame. It prevents countless deaths. Here’s how it works:

Imagine your cute, genius big eared asura guardian got downed. You’re there ready to die, when a friend ranger sends her big, smelly, drooling, flea infested bear to ….have it’s way with you.
There you lay helpless, begging for swift death only to watch how that big pedo bear is “reviving you”, taking it’s time doing it too….

NEVER did i die again when in a party with a ranger. EVER. This skill saves lives (though scars for life!)

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

I wanted to use Guard as a zerker ranger in TPvP as a sort of cap point roamer to have my pet defend a point while I pressure another. Doesn’t really work.

in Ranger

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

So far i only used it to “troll” with. i.e an ele friend stands around a sentry in WvW i put pet on guard next to him and hide myself behind a wall or rock. I even saw a topic about cheat accusations of a necro with a juvenile x pet. Made me laugh as another ranger probably did the same “troll”

Edit: and ofcourse to proc Nature’s Voice trait.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

(edited by Offair.2563)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Honestly, pets need to count towards node contest. If a pet is in the node, it acts the same way as a normal player. That would be an amazing buff for the shout.

“I got far, bear’s bunkering mid.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

Honestly, pets need to count towards node contest. If a pet is in the node, it acts the same way as a normal player. That would be an amazing buff for the shout.

“I got far, bear’s bunkering mid.”

I like it! lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

The ranger ‘shouts’ seem to me just a way for the designers to place what became the Runes of the Trooper in at launch as it probably did not sit well that only two of the eight profession could use them.

The ranger ‘shouts’ seem to me to be more in the line of Pet skills, like rampage as one.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Well the underestimated shout (“Search and resque!”) is in fact the most powerful party skill ingame. It prevents countless deaths.

NEVER did i die again when in a party with a ranger. EVER. This skill saves lives (though scars for life!)

The skill was silently “buffed” in one of the patches this year. It used to be that anything which interrupted the pet canceled the skill. So you’d fire the skill to revive a fallen party member, a mob like a centaur uses an AOE knockback skill, and now you’ve got a useless skill slot for 85 sec. It simply wasn’t worth loading the skill with that sort of unreliability.

Now the pet will run back after an interrupt and continue reviving. But with so many players writing off the skill before this change, I’m not surprised most haven’t tried it again.

in Ranger

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

If you use Guard + Jaguar Stalk, you can almost have a perma stealthing pet! Lol

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

If you use Guard + Jaguar Stalk, you can almost have a perma stealthing pet! Lol

its something!

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The pet unstealths when it attacks from guard though.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

In WvW I use guard in a nature’s voice build. Its pretty decent since it gives your pet perma protection and a 10s stealth.
The stealth is useful to prevent free C&D to thieves and to set up the F2 skill without the enemy being able to react to it. Also you can hide your pet if it would die otherwise like if someone tries to focus your pet or if your pet already got too much dmg from AoE / Conditions from Emphatic bond. Also useful in PvE if your pet is about to die —> just stealth it and F3 and kite around so that your pet won’t get hit until pet swap is up.
The cast time is annoying and if you run around you always have to press F3 after using Guard or your pet might be far away from you when you need it.

(edited by Arpheus.6918)

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

In a guild rush a pet can guard an area and keep it clear while you cover somewhere else.