All Elites should channel their Legend

in Revenant

Posted by: Vyce.2014

Vyce.2014

I really like the whole idea of the elite being a sort of Legend empowerment. As if the Revenant is channeling the legend more strongly than they normally would. This theme is obvious for Mallyx. And really most wouldn’t need to change a whole lot to accomplish this. I feel like it would be REALLY cool if every legend elite skill had the same idea. See below for some examples of what I mean…

Current Mallyx Demon Legend Elite (upkeep):
10% All Stats
Apply AOE Torment

Changed to (6+ upkeep):
10% Condition damage to self & allies
Pulse Fire Aura to self & allies

Current Jalis Dwarf Legend Elite (activation):
AOE Damage reduction for 5s

Changed to (6+ upkeep):
10% Toughness to self & allies
Pulse Frost Aura to self & allies

Current Shiro Assassin Legend Elite: Jade Winds

Changed to: Jade winds is good and Impossible Odds fits the new elite theme well, so just swap Jade Winds and Impossible Odds on the bar. You could also then give the elite a very small radius of quickness for self and allies.

Current Glint Dragon Legend Elite: Facet of Chaos
Pulse Protection

Changed to (8+ upkeep):
4% All Stats to self & allies.
Pulse Chaos Armor to self & allies.

Keep the deactivation effect as it is. Though this might have to be weakened a bit, like removing the super speed component.

Current Ventari Centaur Legend Elite: Energy Expulsion

Change to: (6+ upkeep)
10% Healing Power to self & allies.
Drop healing fragments every few seconds.

So obviously there will need to be balancing on these. There are a lot of ways to do it though. Here are some examples…

- Adjust the energy upkeep cost to be appropriate. Some may only need to be 5-9. Some me need to cost the max of 10 per second.

- Add an energy cost to activate ON TOP OF the upkeep cost.

- Balance the numbers. Obviously some %s could be too strong. Reduce as appropriate.

- Stat bonuses don’t stack with other Revs. This is probably a good idea anyway. 5x Revs as the new dungeon meta would be a given otherwise.

- Change target caps / AOE radius. As usual it shouldn’t cover more than 5 players, but it may even need to be 2-4 players if the buff is too strong (like quickness).

- Add a Cooldown. Most people have been opposed to this as it seems to go against the unique quality of the energy mechanic. I agree and think the above two are better.

note: I originally had some really high numbers and forgot about the power of force multipliers. I reduced them quite a bit. Also, the ultimate goal here is to create a consistent theme across every legend of being empowered by the named legend, and having a strong upkeep based elite skill that you can toggle on/off.

(edited by Vyce.2014)

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Waaay too powerful even for Elites. You’re asking for party-wide aura, team buffing, and some had PBAoE effects.

I agree that those idea sound really cool, but mechanically they are just broken. The energy adjustment for the effects you mentioned would make the skills unusable since they would need to be radically high to compensate for the effects.

in Revenant

Vyce.2014

Waaay too powerful even for Elites. You’re asking for party-wide aura, team buffing, and some had PBAoE effects.

I agree that those idea sound really cool, but mechanically they are just broken. The energy adjustment for the effects you mentioned would make the skills unusable since they would need to be radically high to compensate for the effects.

Fair enough. let me edit some numbers…

You’re right that they were too high. I dropped them down a lot. I kinda forgot about the whole force multiplier concept.

Ultimately the goal is not to create some crazy overpowered elites, so much as it is to create a consistent theme across the legends of being empowered by the legend.

(edited by Vyce.2014)

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

It’s not really a numbers issue but rather you’re asking too much from a single skill. Keep in mind that Rev’s 6-0 skills are even more so supposed to be slightly lacking in potential as we can spam them to an extent, and we also have access to a secondary 6-0 bar as well.

Also, Legends have no responsibility to be consistent with one another both thematically and mechanically. So, I can’t say that your consistency arguement alone would be a selling point to the devs.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

I agree these would be fun, but extremely overpowered. A perma pulsing of frost or chaos armor is just way too op. Wouldn’t matter how you changed the numbers its just too much. I think many of the elites are in a decent spot right now. Although it could be fun to tweak with some traits to make some skills give an aura effect when used.

in Revenant

Vyce.2014

I agree these would be fun, but extremely overpowered. A perma pulsing of frost or chaos armor is just way too op. Wouldn’t matter how you changed the numbers its just too much. I think many of the elites are in a decent spot right now. Although it could be fun to tweak with some traits to make some skills give an aura effect when used.

I would suggest in every elite, the upkeep cost would be high enough that it CAN’T be permanent.

Also, I don’t see how frost is any more powerful than the current iteration of the dwarf elite damage reduction.

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I would suggest in every elite, the upkeep cost would be high enough that it CAN’T be permanent.

Also, I don’t see how frost is any more powerful than the current iteration of the dwarf elite damage reduction.

Chill condition. sPvP. WvWvW.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frost_Aura

I will take on demand -50% dmg for party when it matters. It also stacks with protection and frost aura.

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

Nope. There’s not really any reason to do this. I like the elites how they are.

Another classic case of trying to fix what isn’t broken (for the most part anyway).

in Revenant

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

If that’s the case then why have them be upkeep if you can only use them for 4-5 seconds?

And with Jalis if it was only frost aura then it wouldn’t be but its aoe damage reduction, 10% toughtness and frost aura. (plus frost aura is granting area chill)

“Current Jalis Dwarf Legend Elite (activation):

Changed to (6+ upkeep):
Pulse Frost Aura to self & allies"

I just don’t see a reason why these need to be upkeep skills. Why not just a single pulse on use of elite and keep it as is. Would kind of make the whole process simpler all you would need is a trait.

in Revenant

Vyce.2014

If that’s the case then why have them be upkeep if you can only use them for 4-5 seconds?

And with Jalis if it was only frost aura then it wouldn’t be but its aoe damage reduction, 10% toughtness and frost aura. (plus frost aura is granting area chill)

“Current Jalis Dwarf Legend Elite (activation):

Changed to (6+ upkeep):
Pulse Frost Aura to self & allies"

I just don’t see a reason why these need to be upkeep skills. Why not just a single pulse on use of elite and keep it as is. Would kind of make the whole process simpler all you would need is a trait.

Because upkeep costs are interesting and keep them unique compared to almost every other activated skill.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Why? It limits creativity.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: Pazu.8320

Pazu.8320

You want every elite to be the same? Sounds boring. I prefer more flavor.

Paul Lukische (ele), Pazu Plus One (ranger), Oh The Pazubilities (mes) et al – Sanctum of Rall
Champion Titles: Legionnaire, Genius, Magus, Paragon, Illusionist, Phantom, Shadow, Ritualist
Spectral Legion [SL] is recruiting! spectrallegion.com