Any plans for a better sword offhand?

in Revenant

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

Hey,
Like some people said in very few topics, the sword offhand is quite underwhelming : long cds, and more precisely the skills feel way too much situationnal. Once again, axe get the best dps oriented skill (as if it wasn’t enough with the other classes).

In PvE sword offhand is quite useless, I barely used it in all my fights and dungeons. You could say that at least the block is decent but.. well not that much in my opinion, if you want some defense you just get a shield. The pull is quite unreliable and often doesn’t work against ennemies in dungeons. I haven’t tried in raids but I bet it’s even more helpless in that case.
More or less same thing in PvP, the block can be decent but the immob is unreliable and very short too (both in range & duration). I can see some uses for the pull, but again, very situationnal. While axe gets a decent gap closer throw+shadowstep+melee hit.

Anyway, I was wondering if anything as been officially said about the sword offhand, I haven’t read anything about it. I would be really sad if it stays that way, a PvP-only/useless weapon.

in Revenant

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’m sure they will after they revamp ranger weapons

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Revenant

Posted by: Sarif.1827

Sarif.1827

I agree, I didn’t feel like the Sword Offhand was very useful, so much so I didn’t actually use it during BWE3.

The Pull is unreliable, and mostly used to set up for UAssault.

The Block is actually in a good place, it’s still got the same up time, just a smaller window then the shield, so if your really good with hitting Blocks when you need them, the sword might actually be a better dps weapon.

This is all speculation mind you.

Sadly, we have gotten no official word as to what the Revenant is going to look like out of the gate. Although Roy has said that most of it will be as it was in BWE3, just trimming a few things.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Roy-Feedback-about-out-Feedback/first#post5609485

Leader and Founder of the Shattered Sky Community.
Guild Leader of Covenant of the First Flame [Soul].

in Revenant

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Sword off hand = Guardian shield before buff. no one takes it because all the other off hand offers more and better stuff.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in Revenant

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Sword off hand = Guardian shield before buff. no one takes it because all the other off hand offers more and better stuff.

lol, it’s nowhere near as bad as Guardian shield was. People seem to be forgetting that, unlike shield, you can use OH sword with any build, and it does not require the use of Herald, which will be competing with future e-specs. The only problem it really has is that the pull should be a teleport from 600 range, which then pulls the target as you teleport back to your original position.

in Revenant

Scar.1793

lol, it’s nowhere near as bad as Guardian shield was. People seem to be forgetting that, unlike shield, you can use OH sword with any build, and it does not require the use of Herald, which will be competing with future e-specs. The only problem it really has is that the pull should be a teleport from 600 range, which then pulls the target as you teleport back to your original position.

Even with that change it would be useless : you can’t pull many ennemies in PvE, especially with raids now even though I haven’t tried them but obviously some mobs will be immune

in Revenant

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Sword offhand being inferior to shield is what made me craft flameseeker prophecies, hopefully a fix would be delayed

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Revenant

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

NOTHING is as bad as guardian shield pre buff.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in Revenant

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Even with that change it would be useless : you can’t pull many ennemies in PvE, especially with raids now even though I haven’t tried them but obviously some mobs will be immune

Not everything is balanced exclusively around PvE. In PvP, it would make for an excellent on-demand interrupt, or a way to take someone off of a point, or a way to pick them out of a crowd to be brought to melee range. Of those three things, axe can only act as an interrupt, and even that has a short delay that makes it more difficult to use.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Sword offhand is purely pvp wep. Theres no reason to bring it in pve unless you need block. And something to keep in mind – more elite specs will be coming in future so you wont have shield always unless you plan to run Glint forever.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Scar.1793

Well that’s the issue there : it’s almost exclusively useful in PvP. Doesn’t feel right :/

in Revenant

Posted by: Bovan.9481

Bovan.9481

I consider it the 2nd strongest offhand weapon next to Axe for PvE. You won’t use an offhand shield for anything but the block. While the shield block does give you a little heal and it does last an extra second (which is wasted really) you are also stuck in place. Meanwhile sword’s block allows you to move, has a lower cooldown and costs less energy. It also gives you a immobilize afterwards which is useful.

Not that it really matters, you stay on sword/axe most of the time anyway. But sword is a better weapon if you just need a quick block for something.

PvP and WvW I’m not too sure about the weapon. Played exclusively with shield the 2nd beta weekend and sword the 3rd. They both have ups and downs.

Bovan Ironwrench – Bovan Sundermist
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

in Revenant

Posted by: MercenaryNote.8506

MercenaryNote.8506

What if they made Axe the power weapon and changed OH Sword into a ranged Condi, and #4 would be a ranged auto-attack and work like underwater spear.