Are Revenant Tanks viable?

in Revenant

Posted by: ZhonLord.6782

ZhonLord.6782

Q:

Note: this is mostly a PvE request, but any suggestions relevant to WvW would be greatly appreciated as well.

I have been experimenting with Revenant for a while now, mostly with Knight and Sentinel gear, trying to find a build that lets the Revenant be a durable tanky character. It hasn’t gone well. The best I have been able to do so far is Sword/Axe with the Dwarf King and Demon Lord, alternating between 50% damage reduction and immunity to conditions. But even that doesn’t seem to hold up well in bigger fights. My Dire-spec reaper has greater sustain and durability, while my tempest Cleric-healer does more damage in many situations.

Has anyone out there figured out a good tank/bruiser build for the Revenant, and if so could you please share some tips at the very least?

in Revenant

Posted by: Bovan.9481

Bovan.9481

A:

So I’ve been tanking on my Revenant as well as a Scrapper, Daredevil, Reaper and I briefly tried Chronomancer since the day raids got released. They all have their strong and weak points but I feel Revenant is one of the better tanks.

Reason I think they are is because you don’t have to give up much damage and you still offer all the utility of your class. You can do it in berserker gear (although I used Valkyrie at the start) with your normal DPS build aside from one minor trait, and you take a shield over an axe. You still keep up the boons and you are able to contribute as much as any Revenant to breaking the breakbar. On top of all of that you can rotate your cooldowns perfectly to keep yourself alive with little help from a healer or outside source.

As for the actual best and most efficient tank, I absolutely love Scrapper because you can keep yourself up quite easily and take so little damage. This however I’ve not tested enough to really give an educated answer on. Chronomancers are fantastic as well because they don’t really lose out on anything and still buff their entire raid with Quickness and Alacrity. However they aren’t as self-reliant and will likely need some help from a healer left and right.

All in all they are all viable options and I wouldn’t sweat too much over it. But Revenant is definitely a fantastic tank once you make good use of the class and the tools you have. I’ll link you a quick build you can use to start out with. It’s not optimal but I consider it a ’’beginner’’ build just to get you on your feet.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAsemn3geNSuQvJRboJlsP0jS4I6SJ4EtrkFNFyugJshtDIANgdMppNA-TBSBABA8EAMTJolq/gnWAa2fIRdBTcKAuS5HpACcqF-e

Just have a clear idea of how you are going to handle damage you take in the future. You need to rotate your cooldowns one by one to keep yourself up.

Bovan Ironwrench – Bovan Sundermist
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

(edited by Bovan.9481)

in Revenant

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

I’ve done a few VG runs where a rev has run mace/shield dire stats for tanking role, seemed to work OK.

Though I’d probably consider trailblazer stats if I was building one of those myself.

in Revenant

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

I swapped the gear I had on my guardian I used to tank for VG to my Revenant and it worked very well. I use the same dps build only change is I take Hardening persistence which allowed me to drop some toughness trinkets for more Zerker with jalis/glint stance.

RP enthusiast

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

First of – as far as first wing goes – “tanks” aren’t viable in general. There’s just one guy at VG with minimally higher toughness and pretty much every profession can do that.

Just get some toughness stuff and be ANet’s version of “tank” with same build as DPS

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Revenant

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Revenants can tank pretty well. They’re can get good toughness stats via Hardening Persistance, and they also have strong defensive/survival skills for soaking and negating damage. Retribution traits a plus.

(edited by Mercurias.1826)