Asura, Human, or Norn Revenant?

in Revenant

Posted by: Captain Guthix.8320

Captain Guthix.8320

Hi everyone.
I’m really excited for the HoT and more specifically, the Revenant. The problem is that I cannot pick a race for it. I know that there is another post a few threads down similar to this one, but none of those answers are really “pushing me over the fence.” I don’t really want to make a Sylvari or a Charr because I’ve already made a good amount of those.

This leaves me with the Asura, Humans, and the Norn. I would be instantly making an asura Revenant if it weren’t for the fact that staves always clip through their ears and through the ground. It bugs me just too much. I am sort of leaning towards making a human because they are all around good (no clipping, don’t feel too slow, really nice t3 armor), but they just seem kind of bland. I like the norn but they feel sluggish and the only armor that I really like is their t3.

In short, can anyone reply with some good reasons why one race is better than the rest so I can end this debate with myself? Thanks.

Edit: I should also mention that I plan to make my revenant a male.

(edited by Captain Guthix.8320)

in Revenant

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Female norn armor is alright. Going male I’d pick human as armors just look the best on them in my opinion. This is fashion wars 2

in Revenant

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

The first thing I usually do is look at animations. Animation wise Norn/Sylvari/Human are basically all the same. The main difference is height as well as running animations. You going to spend a lot of time running around so if you really hate the Norn running animation you gonna either have to get used to it or remove this as a choice. I suggest running around for a while on a each race and get a feel for it.

On that note here’s all the Revenant attack/skill animations on each race.

Now from there you going to have to decide on an armor set. I have a neat way of doing this actually. First thing you do is you get a full throw-away set. Usually this requires level 11-13 to get the shoulder piece (buy it off AH) and helmet (alternatively you can choose Guardian, roll with level 1 shoulders and just skip helmet). Then you want to find skins that offer at least 3 color channels (you can preview the change, then preview the dye channels). Heritage Armor works great for this if you got access to it and it’s free transmutes.

Once you have your full set of triple dye channels setup color them different colors. I usually do a red, blue, yellow. Once this setup, go to a bank and open up the Wardrobe tab. From here you can start mixing and matching gear. Once you find a piece you like, such as a chest, go ahead and open up your Dye page and dye the colors you want on the chest you have previewed replacing the RBY with the color you want. Then click on the preview of the item again, and the dye colors update in the preview window based on what you currently have dyed. Repeat until you have a full suit.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Revenant

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

I like norn a lot but i’ve grown a little bit tired of them, all my characters are norns but if you have never made one i suggest those.
Humans are okey but i don’t like the way they run (probably i’m not used to it), also i think legs pieces looks always like the waistline is too high.
I’m considering making an asura when the expansion drop, anyway there’s the BW3 this weekend, you could try to play with different races and play with the wardrobe a little bit.

norn warrior

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Fools! Charr or nothing! :P

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: SaulWolfden.6178

SaulWolfden.6178

I’m making my Revenant a Norn since lore wise they are one of the most fitting races to be a Revenant with their connections to the mists (and I also want a female Norn).

“Fear is only what you feel”

in Revenant

Posted by: Lemondish.3268

Lemondish.3268

I’m making my Revenant a Norn since lore wise they are one of the most fitting races to be a Revenant with their connections to the mists (and I also want a female Norn).

I think I will be doing the same. All my Revs in BWE were human male, so this weekend will give me a shot to try out a female norn Rev to see how it looks.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

When in doubt, roll a Charr.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: Thermaltron.6829

Thermaltron.6829

Human; the natural fit for anything Mist related.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Same exact issue OP!

I was going to roll a female norn a year ago for an ele but didn’t, now I forget why….I think it was a light armor issue though? vs heavy armor is nice on norn female? hmm

Human is great but I always roll humans…

Asuran are pretty awesome ani wise, but I’ve never had one with a staff….I’ll have to double check that ani…

edit you sure staff clips asurans ears and ground and such? for rev? didnt seem to in that vid that kodiak posted.

also another thing I just thought of to keep in mind…if youre rolling female like me for norn or human a lot of the sound effects dont mesh so well (mallyx deep voice for instance lol when switching)

(edited by Mightybird.6034)

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

When in doubt, roll a Charr.

i like you

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Tom.8976

Tom.8976

Hmm i would say Charr.

in Revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Honestly it looks like you answered your own question in your original post:

- Sylvari – you have too many…out

- Charr – you have too many…out

- Asura – you don’t like clipping issues and it “bugs you too much”…out

- Norn – seems sluggish and you don’t like any of their armors except Cultural 3…possibility however lack of options of armor and slow pace will likely make this race get old for you very quickly, so final conclusion is that they are out

- Human – you like the options, they just seem bland…you can make them less bland with constantly changing and using unique different armor sets, as well as using makeover kits to use the more unique hair styles, faces, and colors. This seems the obvious choice for you given the details you provided.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Revenant

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Asura is the master race and that is what you should roll. However if you want to try the others:

Human Female Meta

Norn: It is very thematic as a Rev, considering that Norn call upon spirits to strengthen and aid them, calling a legend seems like a nice fit.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Anyone have any SS of a flashy asura? Like particle effects (radiant or hellfire, flamekissed, etc) + wings and stuff. Most asura I see/have tried to find, wear boring outfits and I like flashy.

(I want to roll and asura but …the outfits…so bad on them…)

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

Female norn are kinda hot ;-)

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Mavander.3208

Mavander.3208

Dude. Sylvari. Don’t make the wrong choice. Salad master race/food

in Revenant

Posted by: Captain Guthix.8320

Captain Guthix.8320

Well, after some testing in BWE3, I think I’ve decided on a human. I feel like I’m missing out on a lot of the animations on an Asura since they are so small, and the Norn just feel like some really buff guy is “trying” to be a ninja. The humans just seem like the perfect fit. Not too slow. Not too fast. Decent armor. No clipping. Thank you all for your posts.