Can I still contribute to raids?

in Revenant

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Just as the title says. I currently only play revenant for raids. And I don’t have any other classes that is raid viable that I have experience enough in to not be dragging down the team for several raid nights.

As it currently is I am getting alot of mixed information from Reddit, the PvE forums, as well as from some of my guildies. It seems like rev is currently in a grey spot. And other than boon generation and CC I don’t really contribute it feels like. As far as boon generation goes we have a dragonhunter for melee prot and our druid can always take over fury generation if needed. My ability to assist the chrono with quickness generation was the only truly unqiue thing I provided aside from being the primary Break Bar go to guy.

Ive heard talk of running two chronos. Or just having the one chrono run max boon duration on his own and replacing the rev with another class.

What I want to know is should I be looking to grab a different raid class? Or is what I provide still enough to justify my current place in the comp.

Ghost Yak

in Revenant

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

Here is the issue, the fact that just nerfing one ability on a revy means should never be allow to raid is kittening kittened. So you are telling me the only classes that should ever be allow to raid are druid, Mesmer and warriors? WTF! THe devs said they didn’t want only particular classes choosen to raid. You should be able to go into a raid with several different classes and still be able to beat it. However, I blame the dev for not considering when they do changes how all the games times will be effected. I also blame the community. You mean to tell me if you dont run twin mesmer twin warrior and twin druid then there is no way you will be able to raid? WTF!

in Revenant

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

You can just ask your ele friend to do dps rotation against you on medium golem. On medium golem, the reported dps difference is 2k in real raid situation. but rev bring boon (precious protection), great cc, and assassin presence that can make up for that 2k dps.

On large hitbox, ele still wins by far though.

IMO, rev is in the same position as guard. Still a good alternative of ele, contributing in boons and great cc. Rev protection is easier to apply compared to guard and can cover more I think.

The comp I would do is 1 mesmer 1 druid 1 warrior 1 ele 1ele/rev/guard in each mirror comp

(edited by gin.7158)

in Revenant

Posted by: Vaelen.5294

Vaelen.5294

You can just ask your ele friend to do dps rotation against you on medium golem. On medium golem, the reported dps difference is 2k in real raid situation. but rev bring boon (precious protection), great cc, and assassin presence that can make up for that 2k dps.

On large hitbox, ele still wins by far though.

IMO, rev is in the same position as guard. Still a good alternative of ele, contributing in boons and great cc. Rev protection is easier to apply compared to guard and can cover more I think.

The comp I would do is 1 mesmer 1 druid 1 warrior 1 ele 1ele/rev/guard in each mirror comp

^Rev dps is in same boat as DH? LOL!!!^
Any decent DH can do 4k+ more dps than Rev can, even hammer DH pulls more dps than Rev. Months ago you may have been right, but Rev as it is now has been nerfed to oblivion.

in Revenant

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

Did I say “Rev dps is in same boat as DH”? Another triggered forum warrior appeared out of the blue. Sigh.. I’m out, Too much effort to argue with a random person on internet.

(edited by gin.7158)

in Revenant

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

The nerf to boon duration is not what pushed rev aside. The nerf to SoI is the reason. Atm u get all boons from wars/druids/guards etc. And the 2 chronos make up for the chrono nerf. Especially since chronos run gravity well/moa even the cc is the same (better actually).
Essencially what’s happening in the meta now has nothing to do with rev but directly with chrono and SoI.

in Revenant

Posted by: Cirian.8917

Cirian.8917

I hear the main trouble is the 5 target buff/heal limit that forces mirror comp.

If the limit was 10 targets then roles wouldn’t need such duplication.

in Revenant

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

I hear the main trouble is the 5 target buff/heal limit that forces mirror comp.

If the limit was 10 targets then roles wouldn’t need such duplication.

5 boon stack cap, not target. There’s always a target limit hence rev/mes was running their own party in standard 4,2,4 comp, which allows you to buff 4-8 other people on multiple SoI uses and TW in the past)

As for healing, its actually not the best idea to upkeep facet of light unless you run healing gears. Reason being that you rarely exceed mesmer’s healing power (who gained 300 healing power from trait when maintain 3 phantasms), so your regen will be override by mesmer’s phantasms. Right now with mirror comp there’s even less reason to upkeep facet of light. To answer OP’s question, unfortunately with the nerfs to SoI and changes towards mirror comp, the only useful facet available are facet of nature, facet of darkness (less relevant if druid spam tiger skill), and facet of chaos. Rev is ranked 4th in pure dps atm but warrior and druid brings a lot of support.

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

It’s one of those situations where Rev loses out to other classes.

• Fury – Druids can maintain this through tigers (bonus with Nature Spec) and Warhorn
  • Regen – Very MEH without healing power which Mesmer gets passive Healing Power, and Druids beat everyone due to their outgoing heling modifiers.
  • Might – Rev can’t sustain 25 stacks alone without his boons causing potential interference with that of others. Though a Condi warrior + Rev make a good pair you end up with the awkward Rev being on the condi team
  • Protection – Still in a pretty good spot here though the stack cap down to 5 + nerf to Nature Facet makes it to where you can realistically only apply Protection to your sub. So you would want 2 Rev’s or [hammer] Guards to keep this up full time.
  • DPS – Based on qT’s DPS charts Rev’s pretty good in DPS but loses out to other classes especially on bigger hitboxes because shenanigans. Even Sin’s Presence applying to his sub doesn’t compensate for the lack of DPS that would better be fulfilled by slotting in a more dedicated DPS-y class (teef and Ele notably).
  • Facet of Nature – Still a great buff, but Mesmer’s are being asked to bring +100% boon duration themselves since the love-hate relationship of Rev + Mes is not enough to sustain perma Quickness to a whole squad due to both SoI changes and most boon stacks being limited to 5.

Ultimately, that’s not to say Rev’s are kicked to the curb officially, they just aren’t considered optimal. I’d have to agree with Gin in say that you would take a Rev where you would want to take a Guard such as situations where you are sacrificing some DPS for Protection uptime if you’re feeling uncomfortable with the encounter. A comp like PS-Druid-Chrono-Rev/Guard-Ele is a more defensive option; however the DPS is very very noticeable against large bosses like construct and Gorsy. I would also say that Rev would be better against moving targets as Guards frown when a boss moves out of their traps and symbols.

in Revenant

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

You can absolutely still raid with a rev if your guild/friends all want to specifically gear around running with a rev… Which, I guess some people will? But, in reality, once the top guilds decide to gear a certain way and run with a certain composition, your chances of getting into a PUG group as anything outside of that meta is very slim…

This is especially true for revenants/natural resonance as it was easier/more efficient for the top guilds to just make their rev switch to chrono than to have a bunch of people re-gear for 17% boon duration.

It’s not like when they say, nerfed necro’s dps… Because they can still come as a condi dps and it doesn’t affect the rest of the raid at a dynamic or core level—just its max dps.

I mean, I guess you don’t NEED 100% quickness for these fights, but you’ll never convince a PUG group of that. So sadly, if you don’t have a core group of friends that are willing to play with you and your rev, you’re going to have to swap his gear over to a warrior or DH. =(

The real sad part of this is that, even if a.net completely reversed the natural resonance/SoI nerf (which they won’t), I feel like the meta would just be too lazy to switch back and rev’s will still be left standing out in the cold until something changed that made everybody drastically rethink the core composition of raids again.

in Revenant

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

double post. =(

in Revenant

savacli.8172

The real sad part of this is that, even if a.net completely reversed the natural resonance/SoI nerf (which they won’t), I feel like the meta would just be too lazy to switch back and rev’s will still be left standing out in the cold until something changed that made everybody drastically rethink the core composition of raids again.

SoI undo is all that it would take to give Revs a spot back in the group as 100% Quickness uptime with a single Chrono in a squad is realistically impossible. That, and make boon stack cap back to 9 though SoI reversion would suffice. Rev + Chrono wasn’t just for the Quickness uptime benefit but also to copy the boons that a Rev was pulsing.

in Revenant

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

SoI undo is all that it would take to give Revs a spot back in the group as 100% Quickness uptime with a single Chrono in a squad is realistically impossible. That, and make boon stack cap back to 9 though SoI reversion would suffice. Rev + Chrono wasn’t just for the Quickness uptime benefit but also to copy the boons that a Rev was pulsing.

Unfortunately, those two features are the exact reasons why rev/mes combo is OP in WvW guilds. If only ANet is wise enough to split 3 very different gamemodes……

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

You can indeed contribute!

For example, you can step aside to let an Elementalist take your place -> Best contribution!

Unfortunately, those two features are the exact reasons why rev/mes combo is OP in WvW guilds. If only ANet is wise enough to split 3 very different gamemodes……

Actually, they don’t even need to do that. They just need to embrace raid roles and buffs/debuffs, like every MMO has at some point managed to.

For example, we want perma quickness, right? So well, let’s make that a raid buff.

Time Warp – Mesmer skill, 30s CD, elite
Places an area of warped time. For 10 seconds, enemies in the area are slowed. The area persists, granting quickness to up to 10 players inside. This persistent effect lasts for 5 minutes or until moved by re-using the skill.

Facet of Haste – Revenant Glint skill, no CD, elite, 2 energy cost
Apply the facet of haste to up to 10 allies, granting them quickness for 3 seconds every 3 seconds. Can activate this skill again to use Blurring Speed, briefly granting allies evasion and also applying Superspeed while cleansing movement impairing effects. This effect has a 30 seconds CD and will disable Facet of Haste.

And maybe give it to a third person. The point being, it’s just a raid buff. Bring one of the 2-3 classes who can give it, done. ANet shouldn’t make such a big deal with interweaving many skills and signet procs and whatnot (I’m a mesmer :P ) for something which other MMOs solved 10 years ago.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Revenant

savacli.8172

You can indeed contribute!

For example, you can step aside to let an Elementalist take your place -> Best contribution!

Actually, they don’t even need to do that. They just need to embrace raid roles and buffs/debuffs, like every MMO has at some point managed to.

For example, we want perma quickness, right? So well, let’s make that a raid buff.

Time Warp – Mesmer skill, 30s CD, elite
Places an area of warped time. For 10 seconds, enemies in the area are slowed. The area persists, granting quickness to up to 10 players inside. This persistent effect lasts for 5 minutes or until moved by re-using the skill.

Facet of Haste – Revenant Glint skill, no CD, elite, 2 energy cost
Apply the facet of haste to up to 10 allies, granting them quickness for 3 seconds every 3 seconds. Can activate this skill again to use Blurring Speed, briefly granting allies evasion and also applying Superspeed while cleansing movement impairing effects. This effect has a 30 seconds CD and will disable Facet of Haste.

And maybe give it to a third person. The point being, it’s just a raid buff. Bring one of the 2-3 classes who can give it, done. ANet shouldn’t make such a big deal with interweaving many skills and signet procs and whatnot (I’m a mesmer :P ) for something which other MMOs solved 10 years ago.

I’m gonna have to write this off as a troll post as this goes entirely against the spirit of the game in an entirely exaggerated manner.

In regards to your post, NICENIKESHOE.7128, I would have to agree that mode separation would help ease some of the issues with Rev’s current awkward status. Overall though I think the nerf to both SoI and boon stacks was what really shook up squad comps in PvE. Had Anet nerfed SoI but preserved the stack cap there wouldn’t be as much of a need for double chrono’s (thus pushing out Rev’s for optimal groups).

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

But they buffed rev damage as compensation right? kappa
If you havent rerolled yet it is time to do it or quit the game like me.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I’m gonna have to write this off as a troll post as this goes entirely against the spirit of the game in an entirely exaggerated manner.

Intentionally so. The current system for buffs/debuffs is really not working well, or is it?

As plenty other games have solved this problem before, what’s so bad about taking inspiration from them? And: We already have the working setup of trading active abilities for more passive skills with Signets, so that’d have precedence, too. Oh and it solves the needs-2-Mesmers raid issue, and can easily be adapted to solve plenty other raid buff/debuff balance worried.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.