Clarification on Crystal Hibernation please

in Revenant

Posted by: NeroBoron.7285

NeroBoron.7285

Q:

Crystal Hibernation: Removed the defiance bar. This skill will now block attacks for the duration while regenerating health. Lowered recharge from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.

- Does it still ignore conditions? I guess not because it “blocks” now, but is that correct? Or do we get resistance as a replacement maybe?
- Can we use it to block and keep moving?
- How long is the block duration? 3 seconds like the invul time before?
- The cooldown was decreased to 20seconds and we still “regenerating health” during the block time, do we still get 900 hp per second? (4 × 900 heal on 20sec cd would be insane and is nearly as strong as a heal skill.)
- Is this still preventing point capturing? Other blocks usually don’t.

(edited by NeroBoron.7285)

in Revenant

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

A:

The block time is 3 seconds, you are rooted, conditions can be applied to you if the attack is unblockbale (Works like any other block skill), and the healing is the same 900 per tick resulting is just under 4k base.

What about capture prevention? I immagine is still there.

No, it doesn’t have capture point prevention on it anymore.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

I’d like to know it too. I see no reason for the “no point capture” and lock in place for a skill that is basically a 4 seconds block. Sword#4 is better.

in Revenant

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

It’s never been possible to condi when you get blocked. Why is that even a question?

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

before:

• 30s CD, 20energy, 3s cast
  • 4 × 975 healing (0 healing power)
  • breakbar 3s (if broken with CC you get stunned for 2 secs an get 25stack of vulnerability for 2 secs); during channeling invulnerable to CC, direct and condi damage, previous condi damage still ticking
  • not moving
  • capture point prevention

now

• 20s CD, 20energy, 3s cast
  • 4 × 975 healing (0 healing power)
  • costant block for 3s (immune to CC, direct and condi damage, except unblockable skill, previous condi damage still ticking)
  • not moving
  • capture point prevention

so far i’m really happy with the change given the CD i ca live with root and capture prevention

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

All I want to know is can we move with it on or not?

In a game where there’s so many things going on that standing there, even invulnerable, is often times 100 times worse than simply keep moving. This entire game was built around avoiding mechanics and AOEs on the ground. PvE has tons of it. PvP has tons of it. WvW is built around it these days. It’s why Renewing Wave had to change as well cause it’s usefulness was very limited.

Rooting yourself in place in a game where mobility is life is just not useful or defensive.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

All I want to know is can we move with it on or not?

In a game where there’s so many things going on that standing there, even invulnerable, is often times 100 times worse than simply keep moving. This entire game was built around avoiding mechanics and AOEs on the ground. PvE has tons of it. PvP has tons of it. WvW is built around it these days. It’s why Renewing Wave had to change as well cause it’s usefulness was very limited.

Rooting yourself in place in a game where mobility is life is just not useful or defensive.

as said above, since not stated otherwise, you are still rooted.
Imho the skill is really strong now..and no, not always you HAVE to move, as long as you get greater benefits

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

NeroBoron.7285

It’s never been possible to condi when you get blocked. Why is that even a question?

Cause that skill made revenants invul to condis before, too. So I was just wondering.

I’d like to know it too. I see no reason for the “no point capture” and lock in place for a skill that is basically a 4 seconds block. Sword#4 is better.

Good point I’ll add that

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Honestly the Shield 5 feels a lot like a rooted version of Guardian’s Shelter, but this skill is only on a 20s cd (plus the energy cost). Thumbs up from me vs its original variation.

Though I do agree that the capture-point prevention is a little odd since it’s not true invulnerability similar to other skills that have that gotcha added to their tooltip.

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Honestly the Shield 5 feels a lot like a rooted version of Guardian’s Shelter, but this skill is only on a 20s cd (plus the energy cost). Thumbs up from me vs its original variation.

Though I do agree that the capture-point prevention is a little odd since it’s not true invulnerability similar to other skills that have that gotcha added to their tooltip.

Yes, I like it a lot and think it is rather strong from a PvE perspective. Using it at the wrong time in pvp is still going to get people killed, making the trait something many people will avoid (assuming the root stays and because of unblockable attacks).

(edited by Misguided.5139)

in Revenant

NeroBoron.7285

Imho the skill is really strong now..and no, not always you HAVE to move, as long as you get greater benefits

totally agree. but in fact nearly nobody likes to be locked in place^^
I personally would rather be able to move, get lower heal, no resistance and no capture point preventing, then being locked in place.

Yep I think it’s too strong with that heal on 20sec cd. Even on 30sec i found it really strong. Because they didn’t mentioned changes, it doesn’t mean they didn’t made more changes and forget to call em out.

At all the skill seems a little bit odd. It seems they are going to nearly completly rework it. That’s why I made this thread, cause I had so many questions and some concerns in my mind.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

as said above, since not stated otherwise, you are still rooted.

I mean…straight from level 1 the game teaches you that mobility is life. Any kind of real (player) opponent is going to time out your 4s block soon as it happens and unload everything on you where you’re left standing soon as it’s up. The same thing used to happen with Engineer shield as well.

It’s fine, it just means Axe continues to be the king of off hands in every scenario.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Revenant

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Fail to see the problem people are having with it.

With the defiance mechanic removed, it’s now a great ability, it doesn’t need anymore changing.

What a lot of people are failing to mention is that for the trade-off of not being able to move, you gain about 4k hp every 20 seconds if you use this ability off cool-down, feels fine to me.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

Im fine too. Also well if enemy will time burst after the block you can time a dodge, an i wrong? ;-)

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

The block time is 3 seconds, you are rooted, conditions can be applied to you if the attack is unblockbale (Works like any other block skill), and the healing is the same 900 per tick resulting is just under 4k base.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

3 seconds or 4 seconds? Capture prevention?
Any chance on adding swiftness after you come out of the hibernation? Just QoL to reposition faster.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

should not if it’s a normal block. roy tell us :o

edit: doesn’t prevent anymore. thanks for clarification roy.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

3 seconds or 4 seconds?

Just….read? it was 3s before, it’s still 3s now

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

Well THAT is really good. This skill can’t be more perfect <3

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

That makes a difference then. Still not a fan of rooting, but with this I feel a bit better about it. Absolutely a step in the right direction then.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

That makes a difference then. Still not a fan of rooting, but with this I feel a bit better about it. Absolutely a step in the right direction then.

This.

I get however that by a design point of view an “hibernation” is actually supposed to root. A speed buff to reposition would not hurt the design however.

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I’m not a pvp guy, but with the change in capture contribution I could see this being used with Jalis on bunker builds now, dropping Inspiring Reinforcement first.

in Revenant

NeroBoron.7285

Alright, thank you for the clarification.

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Shield changes are perfect.

in Revenant

NeroBoron.7285

Would have liked to be able to move during block and get lesser healing like 4x 300~500 as a trade off.
But I guess that won’t happen at least the annoying defiance bar got removed

in Revenant

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

The change is nice but IMO I’d cut the healing 50% for not being rooted, counterplay to blocks is basically waiting out on them with autoattacks and then using your important skills afterwards, yes it can soften a burst, but the effect on outnumbered situations will basically be the same as it was when the break bar mechanic was on the skill.

in Revenant

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

wait, if I interrupt you with magnet do you still get 25vun, because I would be into that.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

No the vuln was tied to the break bar

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

Why can’t you dodge if you know they will be “unloading everything” on you?

I like the change, it just sucks we’ll get rekt by necros with wh #4 and staff #5. The endure pain effect was better than block IMO.

in Revenant

Gaaroth.2567

I like the change, it just sucks we’ll get rekt by necros with wh #4 and staff #5. The endure pain effect was better than block IMO.

well i prefer some skills that can just interrupt it instead of 2secs of stun and 25vuln.
Even if they interrupt it they have wasted an important skill and we still have ticked some heal.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

Could be achieved by having a crystal hybernation effect instead of blocks too y’know, then again devs are tight on time and they’re more than likely working on gears to get the expansion ready for the release date, so the easier and faster the fix the better.