Coalescence of Ruin too much damage

in Revenant

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

Hi!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Coalescence_of_Ruin

This skill deals huge damage from 1200 range. It has become one of the most powerful skills in wvw. Combined with revenant’s damage boost traits this skill can crit for 5k-10k damage against the enemy. It is a ranged skill that can hit 5 opponents and deal more damage than for example guardian’s hammer 2 or warrior’s Earthshaking. Cooldown on the skill is really low 2s. For some reason the skill doesn’t even have those red damage markers that would make dodging it easier.

I think the skill is too powerful and would like to see it changed. Either by lowering the damage, increasing the cooldown or increasing the energy cost on the skill. Or combination of those things. While dropping these insane bombs is really fun, I feel that this skill is out of balance.

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

It absolutely does have the red damage markers (not an outline, but it moves progressively away from the Revenant) and is easily avoided. This may be related to your graphics settings.

in Revenant

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

so don’t stand in it. Problem solved.

in Revenant

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Just strafe back and forth a bit – it’ll never hit you.

in Revenant

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Its a immediate AoE attack skill, not a slow ramping one that hurt people who’re still in the area. Standing inside matters not, rev’s aiming and your dodge is the only thing stopping impact. I myself use it all the time and I do think its damage or CD need to be addressed in WvW. Just one of those 2 would do, we don’t want anymore double nerfing.

in Revenant

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

It has its fair share of problem that needs to be fixed though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jagvEpjPJlQ

in Revenant

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

This is a very easy skill to dodge, animation very obvious and the red coming at you more obvious.

Damage is perfectly fine where it’s at

But I did make herald my main now and I will admit cooldown should go from 2 seconds, to 4 or 5 seconds

in Revenant

Posted by: Devon.5126

Devon.5126

“Damage is perfectly fine where it’s "
http://imgur.com/94Lk49l

Most broken skill in WvW at the moment. But you know, I should ignore everything else and save my dodges for this only.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Most broken skill in WvW at the moment. But you know, I should ignore everything else and save my dodges for this only.

The problem with that is Revenant has some funky damage traits. What you are probably looking at is with 50% bonus damage after a negated attack, among other things. That trait is on a 15 second cooldown, but people like to put up pictures or give reports of massive damage numbers from a skill with a 2 second cooldown and cry foul. Not to mention might, vulnerability, etc. Don’t get me wrong, it is a strong ability, but in many cases, what people report in posts like this are the edge cases…"perfect storm" type of scenarios.

in Revenant

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

The problem with that is Revenant has some funky damage traits. What you are probably looking at is with 50% bonus damage after a negated attack, among other things. That trait is on a 15 second cooldown, but people like to put up pictures or give reports of massive damage numbers from a skill with a 2 second cooldown and cry foul. Not to mention might, vulnerability, etc. Don’t get me wrong, it is a strong ability, but in many cases, what people report in posts like this are the edge cases…"perfect storm" type of scenarios.

Yeah, I agree. I do think that CoR damage is kind of crazy, but there’s no way that it would hit for 12k against a target with 3k armor unless there was a very unique set of circumstances.

in Revenant

Posted by: Devon.5126

Devon.5126

I’m raiding tomorrow, I’ll take a screen shot of every CoR if you would like, my lowest was 5k today. WvW Raiders should not have to worry about getting hit by 5k+ every 2 seconds at a 1200 range. Not to mention there is usually more than 1 Rev to factor in.

I am well aware of the traits, I also have almost perma prot as well since ANET doesn’t test anything before release. If this skill is hitting heavies this hard, backline and squishier targets are probably laughing harder than I was. I could dodge or run out of wells / meteors this is coming at me way to quickly and often. Yes, I know the animation for it. Now I am just praying the other guild isn’t running more than 2 revs.

On a side note I had a guildie get hit with a 7k auto because of the damage trait proc. I was laughing my kitten off.

I do have a question once that trait procs does the damage modifier effect all the targets hit by said attack damage or first target hit?
~ I would assume it hits everyone and not just the first target. With that trait line they would easily have 80%+ crit chance as well. Meaning every 15 seconds per rev a group of people are going to have a bad day.
~Any group running guardians will also easily proc that trait as well.
~Im going to assume that Rev is running Devastation as well, meaning they would take MR, making there next attack unblock-able as well.

The problem is since this is mainly a WvW issue I doubt it will ever be changed. Im assuming it is fine in PvE, and I personally have no issue with it when I sPvP. I would post this on the WvW thread, but Devs avoid it like the plague and there are bigger issues than this.

Unrelated funny thing the guild arena is considered a PvE map so Retal hits 33% harder….

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

This skill deals huge damage from 1200 range.

Wrong, so wrong. Animation is 1200 range, actual hit is 900 range as it is bugged.
In a place where revenant can use drop the hammer at it max range, CoR doesnt hit.

Also its easy one to strafe so actually it deserve it damage to be high. These high crits for 10k+ olny happen when rev have 25 might stacks on you+some vul on yourself. In general this ability often hits for no more than 7k full backline zerkers and 3k in in front ones due to being build around ptv gear+protection. Not really gamebreaking.

Also lets be honest that wvw is a mess that barely anyone playing it anymore (rip roaming) so trying to balance around wvw is a joke in itself. It never was around wvw, never will. Trapper runes was nerfed olny for the reason that they added them to spvp and ended up being too strong, in wvw nobody cared about perma stealth thieves for example.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: Coinhead.7591

Coinhead.7591

so don’t stand in it. Problem solved.

Just strafe back and forth a bit – it’ll never hit you.

I am having zero problems hitting people with this skill. With so many effects on the battlefield they cannot evade everything and they must kinda be somewhere. I suggest you two learn using your skills and you might actually hit your opponents!

It absolutely does have the red damage markers (not an outline, but it moves progressively away from the Revenant) and is easily avoided. This may be related to your graphics settings.

Jeah it does have the graphic effects, but no “red circles” type of outline. And as for easily avoided I am constantly landing this skill with no problems at all.

in Revenant

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

CoR is bugged (900 range) and I would rather have it be ground targetted, because as it is now, it’s kind of clumsy to hit a crowd whenever your target decides to move away from it. That being said, I agree that it is a little bit strong, and it would be even more so if those issues were fixed/ improved.

in Revenant

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Maining a rev since HoT, I love this skill. It has a LOT of issues. Primaery one being elevation difference.

But yeah, if you expect arenanet to keep it at these power levels, dream on.

It will get nerfed. Simply because spamming this into a wvw zerg gives people no chance to evade. I do love my 5-10k crit hits on squishy targets every 2-3 seconds though (considering I have 89% crit chance selfbuffed without buff food thanks to Rolling Mists and selffury, crits happen often).

in Revenant

Posted by: Star.8401

Star.8401

Literally if you just strafe you avoid its damage. Dont even need to dodge, unless you are point blank in which case it wont hit as hard.
Easy to avoid and not even the scariest thing coming from a WvW zerg.

in Revenant

Posted by: gannondorf.7628

gannondorf.7628

The problem of the skill is not the dammages it does coz it does nothing when you are all near the target, at long range it does dammage sure. The problem is the cooldown, 2 second is a bit op i think.

in Revenant

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

And as for easily avoided I am constantly landing this skill with no problems at all.

You’re either exaggerating or lying – the slightest elevation often cancels its damage and you can constantly strafe to avoid it entirely. Obviously it’s still a great skill, but it’s far from broken and it’s certainly not an instant win button. I’m full zerker (meaning I’m squishy) on all my WvW characters and I have yet to get hit with these mythical 12k CoRs; my own usually hit in the 5-8k range. At any rate we’ve been dealing with 8k meteors, 5k per tick lava fonts, out-of-the-blue necro marks and wells and other massive bursts for years; CoR’s damage isn’t any more deserving of a nerf than those other abilities.

in Revenant

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

And as for easily avoided I am constantly landing this skill with no problems at all.

You’re either exaggerating or lying – the slightest elevation often cancels its damage and you can constantly strafe to avoid it entirely. Obviously it’s still a great skill, but it’s far from broken and it’s certainly not an instant win button. I’m full zerker (meaning I’m squishy) on all my WvW characters and I have yet to get hit with these mythical 12k CoRs; my own usually hit in the 5-8k range. At any rate we’ve been dealing with 8k meteors, 5k per tick lava fonts, out-of-the-blue necro marks and wells and other massive bursts for years; CoR’s damage isn’t any more deserving of a nerf than those other abilities.

Good idea to compare a 2 second cooldown fire-and-forget skill to a:

- channel with high cd
- casted ground targets with significant cooldown

It’s almost like you are trying to prove the TCs point.

EDIT: which on top of all does more damage.

In all seriousness, you can delude yourself all you want. A nerf will come, and I wouldn’t even blame arenanet for it. But I would want the bugs fixed at the same time.

in Revenant

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

WvW is dead and never got much in the way of balance in the first place. They will nerf many things including this. The fact that so many people are so crap at pvp to dodge and strafe the simple things is really the point. They can nerf it and they will and should but if you are getting downed by this let me spike you with my mesmer and just look at you with my engineer.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Revenant

Posted by: Arcade.8901

Arcade.8901

WvW is dead and never got much in the way of balance in the first place. They will nerf many things including this. The fact that so many people are so crap at pvp to dodge and strafe the simple things is really the point. They can nerf it and they will and should but if you are getting downed by this let me spike you with my mesmer and just look at you with my engineer.

I have a brilliant idea, let’s remove the cripple effect from hammer shock, ll reduce it’s cd to 2 second and up it’s damage to Revenant values ? HuH?

in Revenant

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

You make it sound so powerful.. Never had an issue with it. That said it might be powerful, but a lot of stuff is unbalanced, still think shatter mesmers e.g. Is more op.
CoR got many restriction, and yeah wild in wvw, but as people stated, they are not gonna balance after that, since it is nearly impossible. My advice is roll a revenant or optimize your graphic setting so you can dodge it (dodge=walk away or block or evade whatever float your boat)

in Revenant

Posted by: Vyce.2014

Vyce.2014

I’d argue that a glass thief with backstabs from stealth is a lot scarier than CoR. You can’t see them coming. To be clear, I’m not saying thieves are better than Revs. My point is there are ways to see and avoid CoR. Also, CoR has to be used on pretty flat ground, so conditions have to be just right for it even to work.

in Revenant

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I think all skills like this is an outlier in Wvw and the like where there is total chaos and somebody can sit and sort of ‘ambush’ you with it as you can’t track everything. It’s pretty possible to avoid it in 1v1 etc scenarios, conversely… not sure where to put the balance on ranged aoe skills that way and satisfy both of them. And they kind of have to focus the design on the fewer case scenario.

in Revenant

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Hammer 2 is powerful in wvw when the right conditions are there, same way mortar kit 1500 range is a strong aoe tagstick without bugs

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

frankly, I wish they would get rid of the 50% damage trait. I don’t like the design of it (too spiky) and not enough people are ever going to understand it, so we will always wind up with tons of threads like this, which gets tiresome.

I’ve never actually been a fan of the 2 second cooldown. I wouldn’t mind if it were just a bit longer (maybe 3 seconds), but that isn’t going to stop these kinds of complaints. To be honest, PvE playability matters vastly more to me than WvW balance. If “balance”, whatever that term even means with respect to WvW in this game, comes at the expense of PvE playability, it’s going to be a problem for me and a lot of others. If there’s a way to alter the skill for WvW only, I’d be all for it.

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

Adding longer CD? Nsrh rather nerf the dmg.. Why? Because CD as it is already bother me. We got energy cost and CD on most skills.. It is just a bit clumsy at it is.. Energy more like ar thief would be better imo.

I honestly still do not think this skill is that dangerous.. I mean what about rangers insane range? Also the trait is not that great imo.. But again wvw is such a small part of it (1/3), so really hope that they do not balance it after that.. If so give guardians 25% movement speed.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Whether the trait is good or not doesn’t matter. As long as people continue to use it, we will end up with threads like this (not that the trait is the only reason, but it will always make it worse).

(edited by Misguided.5139)

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

Well I think it is clumsy, rather have a 10% speed using hammer or something cool like adding flair to it, maybe even something as boring as 15 crit or 10% dmg. 50% great, but well very situational.

in Revenant

Posted by: PrinceKhaled.5104

PrinceKhaled.5104

People crying about this skill lol!!
1- Close range combats, it is nothing.
2- Rapid fire rangers cause quite a lot more damage
3- Reapers……. just one word
4- Mesmers burst!
5- Druids hahahhaha

Then you come cry about this skill???

Go 1v1 versus a hammer revenant with any class. See if revenants will win. Again, I am saying hammer revenants.

in Revenant

nacario.9417

If the damage is nerfed ur better off using autos as they already hit decent, pierces, and CoR bugs out too often (which anet wont fix lets be real)

Power Ranger PvP

in Revenant

Posted by: Sajuuk.5706

Sajuuk.5706

Anyone who hangs out at range in PVP and lets the attack hit them deserves what’s coming to them. Seriously, if you give half an attempt at closing with an enemy, you negate most of a Hammer Revenant’s toolbox. Learn to adapt your stale strategies and you won’t keep losing to skill spam.

“Maim. Rinse. Repeat.”

in Revenant

Posted by: PrinceKhaled.5104

PrinceKhaled.5104

Anyone who hangs out at range in PVP and lets the attack hit them deserves what’s coming to them. Seriously, if you give half an attempt at closing with an enemy, you negate most of a Hammer Revenant’s toolbox. Learn to adapt your stale strategies and you won’t keep losing to skill spam.

Best response!!

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

People crying about this skill lol!!
1- Close range combats, it is nothing.
2- Rapid fire rangers cause quite a lot more damage
3- Reapers……. just one word
4- Mesmers burst!
5- Druids hahahhaha

Then you come cry about this skill???

Go 1v1 versus a hammer revenant with any class. See if revenants will win. Again, I am saying hammer revenants.

Completely agree! But to be fair to OP he was not talking about 1v1. 1v1 hammer is way toooo slow.. Wish that it was 1/2 og 3/4 speed.

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Increasing the cd just makes it more trivial to use CoR, in my opinion.

Right now if you use CoR on cooldown, it will use around 33% of your base energy regen (minimum 16.7% of total energy regen if you’re switching legends every 10 seconds and spending all your energy beforehand). If the cooldown were increased, the energy cost could become trivial.

If CoR needs to be re-balanced (and I’m not yet sure that it does), I would rather see an energy cost increase than a cooldown increase. I also don’t see much point to a damage nerf because then it may just be better to use autoattack. Conversely, an energy cost increase on CoR allows the user to choose between depleting energy for more burst damage or auto-attacking for more sustained damage.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Posted by: Recursivision.2367

Recursivision.2367

One-shot an ele with the CoR hitting for 9k and 7k plus some fire/air procs. Was a GF

in Revenant

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Yeah, I agree. I do think that CoR damage is kind of crazy, but there’s no way that it would hit for 12k against a target with 3k armor unless there was a very unique set of circumstances.

I was running a tanky druid, 3’2k toughness, and I got hit by a 11k gun flame.
There’s definitely something going on with toughness

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

Maybe toughness is bugged.. Well puttinh higher CD is kittentated CD is so clumsy on Rev when we already manage Legendary CD and energy upkeep. We should be more like thief.

in Revenant

Posted by: TheAngryDuckling.5481

TheAngryDuckling.5481

CoR is 100% too strong. Its carrying bad revs atm and they are trying with their all to keep it from getting nerfed.

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

CoR is 100% too strong. Its carrying bad revs atm and they are trying with their all to keep it from getting nerfed.

Or 100% as it should be and punishing bad players?
I honestly don’t find a problem with it other than the whole energy/CD.

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

Or 100% as it should be and punishing bad players?
I honestly don’t find a problem with it other than the whole energy/CD.

It’s not a matter of skill if it can be used on a 2 sec CD. You’re gonna get hit eventually

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

And when that happen, you might have missed you chance to get a big hit in.. and he might be standing in melee range taking nearly no dmg.
also if it is a mesmer, he wil evade, guardian will block and thief dodge..

So getting hit by such spell might also show that you are not the most skilled player.. granted range vs range it is very good.. but rangers outrange it. And only when the trait trigger will it bdeal these sick number.. but guess ppl forgot all about DH and moved on to the next nerf-thing..

that said 5 energy is way too low.. make it 25-35.
that said I would like to see removal of CD and increased upkeep through traits.

in Revenant

Posted by: meepeY.2867

meepeY.2867

I used to have loads of issues with Revenant on release. After the PA nerf, they’re a lot more fair to deal with now, however:

My biggest Issues with CoR is that it can hit you twice. There’s no way to know whether it will hit you twice either – it’s a “sweet” spot in the ability. This “feature” will oneshot me 90% of the time. ~5-7k on the first hit and ~8-10k+ on the second.

It also has a 2 second cooldown, which is insane. The bad kind of insane. I believe CoR has the lowest cooldown : highest damage ratio in the game (for a single spell). Whilst it’s not exactly spammable, it’s always available to them if they see an opening to use it.

Now to the people saying “Just strafe out of it”, then you’re obviously suffering from OP Syndrome. Whilst Rev’s/CoR aren’t really OP, saying “strafe out of it nub l2p qq” isn’t a good answer, nor is it a good defence mechanism against it. If I’m inside the 2nd portion range of the skill – you’re too slow to get out of the area. If I’m in the 3rd portion range of the skill, I can just about get out of range, IF and I mean, IF I was already walking in that direction.

To boot, I have pretty bad eye sight, so if we’re fighting on a dark surface I can’t clearly see the particle effects on the floor, which makes dodging the damage a seriously difficult task.

Revenants right now are “okay”… I used to have a big grudge against Unrelenting Assault as it just burnt away dodge rolls but spamming Shortbow 3 seems to do the trick.

CoR right now is not exactly OP, but it could use some balance tweaks. Either, give it a 4s Cooldown like True Shot, double its energy cost or remove its ability to double-hit you.

As a personal change, I would like to see a brighter-easier to see outline for it’s max distance.

https://www.twitch.tv/meepeYPlays
WvW Thief Aurora Glade – Mutli Bulid Streamer – 1PM – 4PM GMT, Mon – Fri
My Daredevil Build: The Defender!

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

Well maybe it is too op, maybe not.. lets see what happens in the future.. for all I get from this post is that we all summon up scenarios benefitting our statements, and which in most cases are rare.

And well if it gets nerf, I will outlive it. I just wish the revenant was more like the thief.. would still be different due to legend swap and the way energy works.. but the cd makes it a double punishment. But that is a whole other topic.

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

I used to have loads of issues with Revenant on release. After the PA nerf, they’re a lot more fair to deal with now, however:

My biggest Issues with CoR is that it can hit you twice. There’s no way to know whether it will hit you twice either – it’s a “sweet” spot in the ability. This “feature” will oneshot me 90% of the time. ~5-7k on the first hit and ~8-10k+ on the second.

It also has a 2 second cooldown, which is insane. The bad kind of insane. I believe CoR has the lowest cooldown : highest damage ratio in the game (for a single spell). Whilst it’s not exactly spammable, it’s always available to them if they see an opening to use it.

Now to the people saying “Just strafe out of it”, then you’re obviously suffering from OP Syndrome. Whilst Rev’s/CoR aren’t really OP, saying “strafe out of it nub l2p qq” isn’t a good answer, nor is it a good defence mechanism against it. If I’m inside the 2nd portion range of the skill – you’re too slow to get out of the area. If I’m in the 3rd portion range of the skill, I can just about get out of range, IF and I mean, IF I was already walking in that direction.

To boot, I have pretty bad eye sight, so if we’re fighting on a dark surface I can’t clearly see the particle effects on the floor, which makes dodging the damage a seriously difficult task.

Revenants right now are “okay”… I used to have a big grudge against Unrelenting Assault as it just burnt away dodge rolls but spamming Shortbow 3 seems to do the trick.

CoR right now is not exactly OP, but it could use some balance tweaks. Either, give it a 4s Cooldown like True Shot, double its energy cost or remove its ability to double-hit you.

As a personal change, I would like to see a brighter-easier to see outline for it’s max distance.

Since you bring up the Dmg/CD ratio.. take a look on Vault:)
But double the energy from 5 to 10 would hardly do anything.. at least 15 or 20. that way we would max be able to do 3 CoR before needing to refill our energy.

in Revenant

nacario.9417

If u sit on a rev in melee when hes hammer then u deny CoR. I understand it is powerful when used on zergies/randoms, but every class has powerful stuff, and CoR doesnt make a rev the god in 1v1 (id say rev’s quite in the middle)

Power Ranger PvP

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

I do agree that it should not be able to hit any target twice, simply because of how hard it hits. I’m not sure how a change to prevent this would be implemented because the cascading skill hits three times (once each at close, medium, and then long range) in a time sequence. Thus it is possible that a moving target can get unlucky and be hit by two of the strikes. If the size of the hitbox or timing of each strike were adjusted to make this impossible, then you would also likely have gaps where a moving target could get lucky and not get hit at all (even when within the hitbox of the skill) and this would be sloppy as well. So I don’t have a good answer unfortunately.

I still disagree with a cooldown increase, but if CoR does turn out to be too powerful, then I would not be opposed to an increase in the energy cost. If it cost 10 energy instead of 5, then players who just mindlessly spammed it on cooldown would have little energy to do much else.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Phoenix the One.4071

Never seen it hit twice, maybe make ppl immune if hit once.. or make the phase into the mist for like 1/2 sec, taking no dmg and not being able to dmg :b

And 10 energy is still too low I think you van spam it five times with five upkeep.. maybe 15.
And still think there should be no CD:)

in Revenant

Vennyhedgie.5369

Whenever someone asks for a nerf everyone just assumes they’re QQing about it because they’ve been killed by it. Yes, I have been killed by it a couple times, but I’ve been playing revenant since the first beta, and as a revenant user myself I’ve always said since then the damage on that skill was way too much. Not because I got hit by it but because I felt I myself was doing way too much damage.

in Revenant

Posted by: meepeY.2867

meepeY.2867

I still disagree with a cooldown increase, but if CoR does turn out to be too powerful, then I would not be opposed to an increase in the energy cost. If it cost 10 energy instead of 5, then players who just mindlessly spammed it on cooldown would have little energy to do much else.

That’s why I’m saying “Either” and “Or”. It only needs 1 nerf, whether it be to Cooldown, cost or being double hit. One of those things needs to change.

As far as not being “double hit”, I suppose you could make it tag you with some form of status effect for 0.1 of a second to stop multi hits… However this could kittenover large scale blob vs blob Rev’s timing their CoR together if it’s not coded to be player/caster specific.

https://www.twitch.tv/meepeYPlays
WvW Thief Aurora Glade – Mutli Bulid Streamer – 1PM – 4PM GMT, Mon – Fri
My Daredevil Build: The Defender!