Design concept: How to survive in PvP?

in Revenant

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Q:

Q1: What is the design concept behind the Revenant?
Q2: How is he supposed to survive in a pvp match?
Q3: How is he supposed to survive in a pvp match as a Bersi or Marauder?

Every profession has a different approach.
Medi-Guardian: Healing with Meditations, Blinds, Blocks and Invulnerability.
Shatter-Mesmer: PU, Teleport, Invulnerability, Blind.
Ele: A lot of healing, high regeneration and protection uptime.
Thief: Dodge, Stealth, Blinds.

and so on… well, I hope you get the idea.

Now back to the Revenant:
He has some healing traits and two heals. Is he supposed to survive through healing himself but the numbers are currently not balanced?

Maybe you can give me some insight how you managed (or failed) to survive.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in Revenant

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Every profession has a different approach.
Medi-Guardian: Healing with Meditations, Blinds, Blocks and Invulnerability.
Shatter-Mesmer: PU, Teleport, Invulnerability, Blind.
Ele: A lot of healing, high regeneration and protection uptime.
Thief: Dodge, Stealth, Blinds.

and so on… well, I hope you get the idea.

Now back to the Revenant:
He has some healing traits and two heals. Is he supposed to survive through healing himself but the numbers are currently not balanced?

Maybe you can give me some insight how you managed (or failed) to survive.

I’ve spent the weekend messing around in pvp with the revenant. I ended up settling with a Celestial build using shiro and Mallyx. Mace/Sword and Sword/Axe setups. I’ve found the ability to survive wasn’t that bad. As Mallyx u can very easily put resistance on yourself which, and with Mallyx elite you pretty much throw condo builds back in their face.
I don’t really like shiro heal. I’ve found myself having to pop my heal at the start of a fight like you would as a ranger with TU. Sword 3 does not proc the heal per tick. So when you use the heal don’t use sword 3 as you won’t get healed at all. ( I believe once or twice).

Although revenant does need balancing/ tweaking I feel as they are much better off this time around compared to the last time they let us play him!

in Revenant

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I too have settled on celestial sword/axe+mace/sword. Only defense is the healing so unless you can get it rolling, you’re dead fast (reason why burst and cc kill revs fast).

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Revenant

Posted by: Recursivision.2367

Recursivision.2367

Like the above poster, in the end I found a cele build worked pretty well. Marauder was working well in 1v1 situations, but revenant just really doesn’t have the tools to avoid bursts and constant pressure in team fights with it.

I definitely found that towards the end of the weekend I’d really worked out how to survive much better. As mentioned above, pop your shiro heal early. I tended to start engagements in shiro, this give you the shadowstep to get in close and lets you pop your heal as soon as you start taking damage.

I typically ran malyx as my second legend. It offers pretty strong defenses against condi, especially if traited for the resistance on skill use. Unyielding anguish provides great defense against melee classes like thief and even rampage warriors. Just drop it and stay in the circle after a thief stealths.

Finally, just be conservative with your energy usage. The evade on shiro is pretty strong but you want to make sure you have that energy when you need it. I recommended starting fights pretty passively to get a bit of an energy cushion.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Jalis is supposed to be our tanking legend, but the only good thing about that legend is the healing skill (and the bugged upkeep, that is offensive-midrange, providing no active defense at all). The taunt has a HUGE energy cost (seriously, the same as Jade Winds).

So yeah, Jalis needs an upgrade.

in Revenant

Posted by: Griffith.7238

Griffith.7238

Jalis is supposed to be our tanking legend, but the only good thing about that legend is the healing skill (and the bugged upkeep, that is offensive-midrange, providing no active defense at all). The taunt has a HUGE energy cost (seriously, the same as Jade Winds).

Don’t forget the ulty that takes so long to get off that the enemy team should /forfeit if they let you do so.

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

That’s something I would like a dev to answer to. It could be interesting (their response).

Right now Rev is profession most punished by conditions (perhaps excluding mallyx)

in Revenant

Killyox.3950

I would scrap that taunt entirely and give us different skill.

Hammers have a lot of use for aoe pressure, added dmg, taking people out of stealth. IR is also great for stability, some poke aoe dmg and weakness/aoe with low cost/long dur.

Taunt is just… bad. I get it can be used on someone who is trying to stomp your friend in pvp but… it’s just bad. Same can be achieved with hammer, axe #5 and lots of other stuff. We don’t need this skill.

in Revenant

Killyox.3950

Don’t forget the ulty that takes so long to get off that the enemy team should /forfeit if they let you do so.

Elite itself is actually pretty awesome. Stun breaker and 5s worth of -50% dmg taken for the team. That’s huge.
Problem is that it doesn’t benefit the rev much when he’s just by himself. Maybe if the cast was 1 second then it would be very good. Would help survive spike. Also maybe if cost was ~40.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mournilg.4870

Mournilg.4870

Elite itself is actually pretty awesome. Stun breaker and 5s worth of -50% dmg taken for the team. That’s huge.
Problem is that it doesn’t benefit the rev much when he’s just by himself. Maybe if the cast was 1 second then it would be very good. Would help survive spike. Also maybe if cost was ~40.

Remember the first tests when it was a 100% damage reduction and faster to cast?

in Revenant

Killyox.3950

Remember the first tests when it was a 100% damage reduction and faster to cast?

Was it 100% though ? It had no % in tooltip and I think cast was like it is now?

It shows here that it was 2 3/4 like now and cost 40 energy which is 10 energy less than before.

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/gw2-revenant-jalis-legendary-skills1.jpg

in Revenant

Posted by: Mournilg.4870

Mournilg.4870

Well, maybe it was my imagination, or maybe because ennemies where toned down so hard the skill felt stronger.
Still today, this skill gives nothing interesting beside the stun break. Can’t be an emergency button because of the cast time and 50% direct damage reduction isn’t that good.
It would be if we had a trait like Shiro and Mallyx that makes you get Protection on dwarf stance skill use, 33%+ 50%, now that can be good ^^

in Revenant

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

A: 1 that’s a tricky question, everyone will answer what they feel about the profession out of their playing experience, only the leading dev aka Roy would be able to give the most accurate answer. IMO they wanted to get a straightforward heavy armor magic user feel, which kind of is accomplished since heavy armor users classically are high sustain, moderate CC and moderate to low damage. Currently Revenant stands at the bottom on all of those.

A2: Patience, knowing when to use certain skills (staff 3, Mallyx resistance spam, heals, etc.) and energy management, it’s sort of playing a crossover between Thief/Mesmer and Meditation guardian… excepting no ports and no Invulnerability and… well it has the burst feel of those 3, you need to use the most survivability from your traits and always try to keep your energy between 40-60%, nice burst potential but a burst leaves you without escapes be it that you burst the enemy or that the enemy tries to burst you, Ventari is useless in PvP without Cleric Gear and with Cleric Gear you do no damage, most bang for buck options currently are Shiro/Jalis and Shiro Mallyx.

A3: only zerker spec currently that is viable enough because of the risk vs. reward is Mesmer given you’re not yoloing, I ran marauder and had no problems excepting against DPS Ranger, Bunker Necro, S/P Panic Strike Thief and MOD Mesmer, you really burn out your energy countering the CC on them, and they can easily peel and deny your burst options, since you really run out of energy if you try to get a kill from above 50% HP, also DS on Necros is really hard to counter as a Revenant for the same reason, they deny your burst and you have to wait on your burst skills plus legend swap to get back your energy while they just blast their damage out, best way to counter those? if you can’t win then ignore them and help elsewhere, just like any pvp situation where you can’t win alone.

in Revenant

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

A lot of people play cele with mace/sword and sword/axe, but I found mace/axe and staff a lot better. I’m sure it’s just an opinion thing. I also went jalis+Mallyx because I just couldn’t stand the shiro heal. Though I would like to try it again for the gap closer.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Taunt is just… bad. I get it can be used on someone who is trying to stomp your friend in pvp but… it’s just bad. Same can be achieved with hammer, axe #5 and lots of other stuff.

This. That skill needs energy cost lowered a lot and a cd added. Can’t spend 50 energy for a taunt, it’s not Jade Winds.

in Revenant

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

I found revenant to be quite powerful this beta actually.
The added weapon swap definitely improved things massively.

Weapons: Staff/Mace-Sword
- Staff has a block on 3, sword has a block on 4.

Legends: Mallyx/Shiro
Shiro: Permanent OOC superspeed.
Mallyx: Unyielding Anguish allows you to decap/cap points easily.

Specialization Lines: Corruption, Retribution, and Invocation.

Was not the biggest fan of the Shiro heal, but other than that, I had a great time with revenant.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in Revenant

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

Taunt is just… bad. I get it can be used on someone who is trying to stomp your friend in pvp but… it’s just bad. Same can be achieved with hammer, axe #5 and lots of other stuff.

This. That skill needs energy cost lowered a lot and a cd added. Can’t spend 50 energy for a taunt, it’s not Jade Winds.

It’s not only that Jade Winds is 100% better, but that it should give another effect for that cost, stapple 6 seconds of protection, up the damage to 500 or up the slow and taunt duration to 5 seconds and I’m happy with the 50 energy cost, 2 seconds of taunt and slow are worthless, specially when most classes have much better options for CC than revenant does.

in Revenant

Posted by: Recursivision.2367

Recursivision.2367

It’s not only that Jade Winds is 100% better, but that it should give another effect for that cost, stapple 6 seconds of protection, up the damage to 500 or up the slow and taunt duration to 5 seconds and I’m happy with the 50 energy cost, 2 seconds of taunt and slow are worthless, specially when most classes have much better options for CC than revenant does.

It’s not really fair to compare it to jade winds. They’re not competing for the same energy. If you have excess energy that you want to dump before leaving dwarf (so that it’s not wasted) the taunt is a solid option.

The cost does succeed in making it unviable to spam it, as it should.

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

That’s something I would like a dev to answer to. It could be interesting (their response).

Right now Rev is profession most punished by conditions (perhaps excluding mallyx)

With mallyx, condi necro and mesmer were the only classed i consistently steamrolled…all other cases were pretty hard to manage…worst enemy was CC warrior….dude…they were a nightmare!

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?