Energy cost removed from weaponskill

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Am I wrong? I’ve just seen legendary skill #9 consume all energy, but weaponskills were still viable.

Is that a mistake? If not then awesome, thanks.
That was required for weaponswap to work with no penalty.

Edit: and it seems that cooldown got removed from some legendary skills too.

(edited by Kidel.2057)

in Revenant

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Uhh I’m quite sure your wrong… Weapon skills require energy just a very small amount, and the revenants utility skills and elite don’t usually have cooldowns, if they do its only to prevent you from having say, 2 “jarlis roads” active at once

I could be wrong though, even though on the livestream I’m pretty sure he mentioned with impossible odds you need to consider your weapon skills still “cost energy”

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

I’ve seen a couple of times his energy go down to 0 and he still could use weaponskills.

Hope we get a clarification in the upcoming post.

in Revenant

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Remember he was using a dev build with some time blocks removed for demonstration purposes. He could reset cooldowns at will. Plus those videos were looped so if you weren’t watching closely he seemed to recover to full energy and health very fast when it was just the video going back to the start.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Yeah, I could be wrong. Hoping to get Roy’s attention for a reply. Keep bumping

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

It seems it was just a dev thing. Tooltip has energy cost.

Oh well, we already know what to test next weekend

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

You talking about Impossible Odds? thats a upkeep skill. so you can still use weapons.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

At 0 energy you shouldn’t. However thatvpeobably was a dev gimmick

in Revenant

Posted by: Scourge.1563

Scourge.1563

He said in another post……..“I had an internal command on to not use energy/recharge probably. Weapon skills cost energy.”

Naz Gul-Necro/Witch King-Revenant
Watching you Bleed makes me smile…………
Titanium Horde (TANK)(Borlis Pass)

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Yeah guessed so. It’s bad with upkeep skills and weaponswap. However my main concern is the lack of swifness skills. Even mesmer has 2. How are we supposed to explore?

in Revenant

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

Yes, everything besides auto-attacks has an associated energy cost.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Tyvm for the extra clarification. Keep it up, you’re doing great

in Revenant

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Tyvm for the extra clarification

No problem.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

in Revenant

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

Yeah guessed so. It’s bad with upkeep skills and weaponswap. However my main concern is the lack of swifness skills. Even mesmer has 2. How are we supposed to explore?

Traveler runes. Or have a hope that Glint will provide speed bonus..But i doubt it

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Can you consider raising the energy to just be 100% on swap? Honestly right now it just feels like 50% energy cap when you’re in a really active fight (namely pvp) and some skills just have really high costs. As such, you’d have more room to have higher costs in things like elites so there’s more risk to using them. Has this been a consideration at all?

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Revenant

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

or just remove energy as a whole because it makes the whole thing hard to balance and clunky to use. i think the problem with energy is that 8/9 classes don’t have to care about it while one has to, and it’s not benefitting from it.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

I like energy and upkeep skills tbh

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

As it should be. Don’t listen to people asking for freebies. Reward good gameplay, not spamming.

Thanks, Roy

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

As it should be. Don’t listen to people asking for freebies. Reward good gameplay, not spamming.

Thanks, Roy

See, I agree with this. I actually think it makes sense to keep it. I do however feel like the 50% energy rule needs to be re-evaluated. I don’t enjoy how swapping and using one skill can black out your bar. I really dislike it. However, having to watch your energy usage as a whole, a great concept.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Revenant

Jekkt.6045

yeah because you can spam weaponskills that have cooldowns… or utilities that cost 35-50 energy.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

I’ll be back on this topic once I get to try Revenant again. I’ll trust Roy for now.
I agree with you Jekkt, but I want to give it a try.

in Revenant

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

weapon swap costs energy?

in Revenant

Jekkt.6045

no but weaponswap = more skills = more potential energy cost because you can pick from a bigger pool. so if before (as an example) there were 2 useful skills for yourplaystyle and now with weaponswap you have 4-5 you’re going to use more energy.

something that could be interesting though is if you got 50% energy for legend swap and another 50% for weaponswap. but all this stuff makes it overcomplicated…

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

yeah, but we can just swap legend for 10 seconds to regain 50 energy. Not saying it’s good, but it’s worth a try and some trust

in Revenant

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Thanks, Roy

Why not? Thieves don’t use Initiative in their utility skills because they have a cooldown.

Revenant Utility/elites skills lacks long cooldown. So it is okay if they cost energy. However, Weapon skills have cooldowns.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

It seems like a weird mechanic to me. I guess that they’ll have to run an extremely strict rotation with no room for choice or freedom.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

it’s to incentivize legendswap.

in Revenant

Posted by: Bindaeyen.9613

Bindaeyen.9613

Thanks, Roy

Don’t mischaracterize people asking for reduced/no energy cost on weapon skills as just scrubs wanting handouts, it really stifles any sort of discussion. While I like the idea in theory, there are benefits to removing it. Namely it will make balancing energy cost far easier. With both sides of the bar using one mechanic in two different ways(one is a smallish cost with cooldowns, the other high costs with virtually no cooldowns), its not hard to see the potential problems. You don’t necessarily want players feeling forced to swap to a legend they don’t want to play right now because they literally can’t even swing their sword let alone use utilities; so you might be tempted to speed up regen. But you still want to punish utility spammers, so you’ll want to slow down the regen.

The devs will have to hit a sweet spot with both costs and regen which may be very difficult to hit with two different variations of the same system using the bar. Especially without going through extensive tweaks after eating feedback post-release. This is not ideal, but would provide the deepest gameplay and flavor for the Revenant’s play style . If they can manage it. If they aren’t sure it might be best to just make the costs nominal or non-existent on weapon skills.

There are arguments to be made on either side, and frankly I’m not sure where I stand personally.

in Revenant

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

it is also for my healer build all i do is tag some thing let my energy go up and use the tablet as how i see fit… cause attack mobs doesnt make it go faster and killing doesnt make it go up faster…. so all i have to do is get in combat and stay behind the lines… and 3k heals with bubble can really turn a fight around….but what the point in fighting when i can jolly in the back lines with the same effect….. hence there need to be a way to incress regen rate either by a signet or atuo attack or something

in Revenant

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

you could always go with a situational removal, ie the energy cost becomes a cooldown while energy regen is negative.