Extra utility skill for each stance

in Revenant

Posted by: koniallis.4736

koniallis.4736

Every other profession has 4 utility skillls for each specialization. I think the rev shoud too. It’s not even too much, just one more skill per stance so 5 skills in total.

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

It wouldn’t help unless the utilities themselves can fit multiple functions….. Rev skills don’t really work that way, and are meant to fit one specific function. So all it would do is pick the best 3 utilities, and ignore one completely.

If you look at the layout of each sub-category for utilities, they’re meant to be used as a group or individual skills used in conjunction with a different trait line or weapon from their primary. Ele is a good example, as many of their utilities offer great stand alone utility, or pair well with multiple traits or weapons.

On the other end of the Spectrum you have Guard utilities. They are very powerful stand alone; but their traits enhance utilities by group, so builds tend to stack one type, or cherry pick based on their overt effects.

Then theres Mesmers, where trait lines pair with other trait lines.

What Revs need is better interaction between the weapons and Legends, so the utilities don’t have to live in isolation. The problem is Revs are inherently strong in one function per legend, but they don’t have the kind of total synergy other classes get that let them do 3 things at once. This works great for PvP and Raids, but nowhere near as good in pugs or open world where you can’t easily organize team comps. This leaves Revs with a selective blind spot thats unavoidable in every single one of their builds. Key survival abilities (like stunbreak and condi clearing) are only available on legends which give up offensive power (unless you’re Shiro… in which case you get stun break, but unreliable healing). Its rough when you don’t have a team mate to take care of that for you.

(edited by starlinvf.1358)

in Revenant

Posted by: Cirian.8917

Cirian.8917

I agree about the 4th utility, it would be useful.

A couple of the stances could do with a stun break for a start, thinking Mallyx and Ventari. Mallyx doesn’t even have a condi cleanse so I was thinking about a stun break + condi conversion into resistance, a bit like Contemplation of Purity but in the Mallyx resistance theme.

Actually giving players a tantalising choice is a good thing and I get that when running a full bar of shouts on my reaper as well as a full bar of meditations on my dragonhunter. Rev should be throwing that choice at players too: what 1 utility do you drop?

An extra utility per legend would also give the ArenaNet designers a chance to shore up any glaring gaps they may have spotted since the rev released. I’m sure they must have some ideas.

in Revenant

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

would be neat to see how anet goes at it : )

in Revenant

Posted by: Cylokin.2560

Cylokin.2560

+1 for this.

Revenant already has the least build diversity out of all professions, the build diversity problem goes much deeper than 5 new skills but this would be a nice move in the right direction.

in Revenant

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

+1 for this.

Revenant already has the least build diversity out of all professions, the build diversity problem goes much deeper than 5 new skills but this would be a nice move in the right direction.

Jupp agreeing on this one.

Ventari needs stunbreak, mallyx a condi cleanse/conversion. Shiro survability like some kind of lifesteal utility and jallis could use some block skill.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Two extra utilities for each legend (no extra elites or heals) would give Rev the same number of utilities as other professions. I made some proposals regarding this earlier:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/More-utilities-per-legend-suggestions/first#post6325936

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’d be all on board with an extra skill or two per legend. It would at least offer a little bit of customization that way rather than how it is now, where if you run a legend its exactly the same as anyone else running it.

I sadly don’t expect it to happen, though. I vaguely remember during the early days of HoT and Revenant’s reveal that Roy or another developer stated they were considering the idea of having more than 3 utilities for each legend. I could be remembering wrong, but if I’m right, then the fact that it never happened probably means that the dev team decided against that idea, and changing their mind on such decisions doesn’t usually happen quickly if it all.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Considering how bad core legends are….I would concede to the notion that the F2 skill from Herald changes based on what legend is summoned……idealy however we should have the ability to chose what ability to put on the F2 from a choice of 5 unique skills themed around each of the 5 legends Revenant-Heralds have access to.

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t get where having 4 instead of 3 mediocre~rubbish utility skills would be a big improvement.

I’d rather have 3 decent ones first.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

I don’t get where having 4 instead of 3 mediocre~rubbish utility skills would be a big improvement.

I’d rather have 3 decent ones first.

It’s a way for players to validate their personal taste by removing what they consider to be the least usefull utility skill and to become less predictable in pvp.

Also I am an advocate of 4 decent utilities for each legend.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

We don’t need a 4th utility, what we need is another legend at core.

A ritualist-inspired legend, with turret-like spirits would do it just fine.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Revenant

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

They need to actually fix the traits that they changed the corresponding Legends/Skills for before launch I feel that is one of the big things hindering the Revenant, as well as needing to do a sweep of the Core Legends and the Skills are over costed compared to Glint Skills.

in Revenant

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

That completely breaks the symmetry of the game. The OP’s suggestion makes far more sense. I also think we need one more utility skill for each legend and at least one new weapon choice at baseline to feel like a complete class.

However, barring that, the core legends should definitely each have an F2 skill. The main problem with the Revenant currently is that Glint is too good while nothing else is good enough. We see this with other elite specs in the game, but not nearly to the same degree.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

That completely breaks the symmetry of the game. The OP’s suggestion makes far more sense. I also think we need one more utility skill for each legend and at least one new weapon choice at baseline to feel like a complete class.

However, barring that, the core legends should definitely each have an F2 skill. The main problem with the Revenant currently is that Glint is too good while nothing else is good enough. We see this with other elite specs in the game, but not nearly to the same degree.

Every profession has 5 families of slot skills. Each slot skill family has 1 healing, 4 utility, and 1 elite. Every profession is missing 1 healing and 2 elites. This leaves us at a total of 27 slot skills per profession.

The revenant has 4 families/legends, with 1 healing, 3 utility, and 1 elite, for a total of 20 skills.

The revenant is missing 1 family and 7 skills. Customizing the slot skills might be difficult technical-wise (When you change utility positions, and then change the legend, the game doesn’t remember it).

More weapons and a custom herald F2 for every legend are necessary, but regarding slot skills, the missing legend is the way to go. Since the revenant is partially based on the ritualist, it’s only logic for that missing legend to be ritualist-themed, with support options.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Revenant

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Every profession has 5 families of slot skills. Each slot skill family has 1 healing, 4 utility, and 1 elite. Every profession is missing 1 healing and 2 elites. This leaves us at a total of 27 slot skills per profession.

The revenant has 4 families/legends, with 1 healing, 3 utility, and 1 elite, for a total of 20 skills.

The revenant is missing 1 family and 7 skills. Customizing the slot skills might be difficult technical-wise (When you change utility positions, and then change the legend, the game doesn’t remember it).

More weapons and a custom herald F2 for every legend are necessary, but regarding slot skills, the missing legend is the way to go. Since the revenant is partially based on the ritualist, it’s only logic for that missing legend to be ritualist-themed, with support options.

I get where you’re coming from. My assumption is that this would require us getting a 6th generic trait line, which would break precedent, but maybe that isn’t actually necessary. Maybe, instead, it could be tied to the “generic” invocation line we have currently, and it would be a more generalized set than the other 5.