General consensus on Revenant versatility?

in Revenant

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

I’m wondering what the general opinion is on how versatile the Revenant is, or if the various Legends feel almost like class role switching. That’s part of what drew my interest to the profession, similar to how much fondness I had for the druid in WoW way back in the day.

I know engineer is the true Jack-of-All-Trades in GW2 but I like the flavor that comes with the role switching being magical in nature and requiring a degree of investment beyond switching up a utility or two. The Engineer sorta just has an answer for everything than the capacity to become anything. I’m just wondering if Rev players have felt that sort of versatility through their Legends and builds. The idea of a profession being a sort of swiss army knife of many other mini-professions (again, like the WoW druid) is attractive to me.

(confession: I’m about level 60 with my own Rev, using PvE Mallyx/Corruption but I don’t entirely trust my own judgment since I’m usually a casual when it comes to MMOs.)

I know it’s only been like a few days so I’m probably asking this way too early. But hey, it’s a good time to give feedback or clear up misconceptions.

in Revenant

Posted by: Eldiora.5836

Eldiora.5836

So far I am in total Love with the Revenant. I have unlocket full Herald on it so I get to play with the Dragon Aspect.

If you want to go for pure insane damage you can go Shiro/Dwarf which gives you alot of flexibility and even with low durability, it doesnt matter since you have a huge amount of dodges. (1 Dodge on Sword 3, one on shiro) Another dodge on Hammer 3.

My rotation for that is to usually go with Sword/Axe or Sword/Shield and then Have the attack speed buff from Shiro on and dish it out. Then when my Mist energy runs out I switch to Dwarf and activate the hammers. Really good damage and you get dodges, stability, 50% damage reduction for a few seconds and a 2 second disable (that jade thing).

Very very versatile.

And then there is the nice healing from Ventari which you can couple with Mallyx for Healing and ok damage trough conditions.

And of course then there is the Dragon Aspect… oh my.
You can either have permanent Might (around 14 stacks) and Fury. Or Perma swiftness or regen, or perma Protection. Or have them all active for a short while for mega team buffs. (You also pretty much get an ability which enhances Buff duration on your whole team by 50% ^^)

I have had a good time both in pve/pvp and wvw with the Revenant.

The only small downside is bad condi cleanse if you do not run Dwarf (you can trait remove 1 condi on Legend switch but thats way too low for pvp) Or go dwarf where the heal has condi cleanse.

in Revenant

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

The key is Herald.

Without it, the Revenant feels clunky in many respects. I’m not talking about Dragon stance even but the Herald line and what it brings. And without the F2 from Herald (both boon duration and use), the class has so many holes besides the “pigeon-holed choose very specific traits/weapons/runes/sigils to deal with conditions” issue.

in Revenant

Posted by: Aldrin.7641

Aldrin.7641

I impulsively bought the expansion with the reason of playing the revenant, I never really liked/read lore, but when I heard about the Revenant (and its armor sprite in the character selection screen) I was 50% sold.

Played it and there may be times when I felt that I was bored (probably due to running around and questing is different in this game), but the class got really fun when I began unlocking traits/specs/legends, it just got more versatile.

Only thing I hate/don’t like about Revenants now are
1) Very limited range option (the hammer hits hard but I wish I could use something else for range )

2) Upcoming nerfs (especially the Phase Traversal CD), however I do learned how to do rotations better

3) its mostly melee (I prefer ranged toons), but I was really impressed with the rev so far

Druid, Tempest, Revenant, Necromancer, Engineer

in Revenant

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

To be fair while the Rev’s ranged options are lacking a bit, it has to be said that the hammer is kind of amazing for what it is. Kind of reminds me of mesmer staff in terms of its slowness and general weighty impacts. It having a projectile shield skill really makes me confident in my ability to win at long range.

So far I’m with Eldiora, I’m really digging my Rev. I think it still needs some finish from the developers, but it’s a very solid addition to GW2’s profession lineup. I’m kind of hoping it works out like Engineer or Elementalist where it’s impossible to know what an enemy revenant in PvP is capable of until you’re actually fighting them.

in Revenant

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

I feel like Herald is almost a must in a lot of situations but mostly WvW. I’m like Revenant in everything but WvW. The lack of lasting stability makes playing frontline pretty hard which just means you have to make yourself more tanky to compensate for it.

Maguuma Guardian

in Revenant

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

I feel like Herald is almost a must in a lot of situations but mostly WvW. I’m like Revenant in everything but WvW. The lack of lasting stability makes playing frontline pretty hard which just means you have to make yourself more tanky to compensate for it.

As a WvW player, I gotta say that I love it in WvW and I actually think that is pretty versatile. Well, somewhat. Not much, but one build can do a lot of things.

I’m running a full zerker Shiro/Glint, Sword/Shield – Hammer that is very similar to the PvP meta build. And with this build I’m playing backline, gank, and even a bit of frontline. Not full frontline like a guardian or warrior built for it, because as you said, the lack of reliable stunbreaker, condi clear, stability, leaps, squishyness and such makes it a pretty hard time for a revenant be a real frontline. But walking a few meters from the melee train and still getting some stability gives you room to use Glint and Shiro elites for CC, cleave people and do some work. Is not optimal but heh, you kinda can do it.

That being said, while this build I’m running is super versatile, revenant isn’t as much. First, the traitlines at least are versatile IMO. Invocation, Devastation, Retribution and Herald all have a bunch of good traits that can be choosen, giving some variation. This is pretty good.

But the builds that are good and popular that will use them all play the same. Power, sword, and Glint. Always Glint. So while the traits can be versatile, the playstyle isn’t. And with Ventari and Mallyx being subpar, both legends and traitline, it hurts quite a bit the versatility of the profession.

Pumpkin – Mag

in Revenant

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

Every profession in this game is versatile, you can support control damage with everyone…the difference is the way they do it: engineers have only more skill effects but the results are the same.
I don’t see revenant as “jack of all trades”, not more than any other class: you can build it with a celestial amulet, but you could the same with every class.

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Very Versatile but

Jalis is quite good. Shiro after PT nerf is… decent but not good. Herald is good, Ventari is good, Mallyx is mediocre. Hammer is fantastic. Swords are decent. Mace/axe is okish. Shield is pretty good. Staff is decent (#2 with 3/4 cast is too long)