Glint Ruins Rev For Me

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

I’m in the process of picking an alt to focus on now, and Rev is one of the frontrunners. My main issue is just how god awful boring the playstyle is for Glint.

Now the obvious reply is, “Well then just don’t play Glint!” and while I would normally agree with you, I feel like I’m gimping myself if I don’t use him. I mainly play all forms of PvE, and you’re almost expected to bring Glint at all times. The boon duration is just too good. Plus, in open world stuff, it’s the only way to acquire perma swiftness, which is a big deal.

But I can’t get over how boring it is. Swap to Glint, turn on all your buffs, and use a few weapon skills. I know I could consume the facets, but it never really seems optimal to do that.

Anyone else feel this way or am I missing something?

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I feel like I’m gimping myself if I don’t use him.

her…..

I do not feel bored at all. I’m also someone whom doesn’t appreciate being nagged by button presses. Some professions are just too button happy for me. So Rev is a good fit for my taste.

I also rarely ever run around with Facet of Nature up. I pop it for burst and keep going. You can have a Herald for Facet of Nature and still run two other Legends. So it’s not really an issue.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

I don’t find it boring or “set and forget”. But I actually use my facets quite often as each one has a very specific and very good usefulness.

Facet of light-darkness-elements are for me “always on” as in I push them on as soon as I swap to Glint and I leave them on. All 3 of these consumes are some of our best skills.

I rarely use Facet of Strength and mostly just double tap it for some quick close range damage.

Chaos comes on when anticipating burst, but is mostly also used as a double tap. The chaotic release is simply amazing.

Finally Facet of Nature, I use this mostly to keep me covered with boons while I’m using Mallyx, in fact I pop it almost every time right before I swap. Sometimes I will use it to dump all my energy and get my boons a nice duration when I anticipate being forced to remain in Mallyx too long or something like that.

This is how I use it, and in WvW. I suspect that you are using it for PVE in which case it could be boring and I probably would only ever use Elemental Blast and Chaotic release.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

The Herald elite spec, and Glint specifically, has much more underlying mechanics going on, and you may not understand at first. Besides the core Rev energy + CD management, you end up having big decisions to make in split seconds in conjunction with other core mechanics when it comes to Glint – Boon management. You can’t have them all at the same time, and I’ve had specific ones(such as regen and protection due to their defensive nature) save my time by making a choice to lower DPS, and focus on defense.
It may not be totally apparent at first(although this was one of the main reasons that sold me on the Herald spec), but it’s one you need to give time to come to understand the importance of.

That being said, if you see Glint as just “turn on all boons” and faceroll through content, you’re doing it wrong. It may seem like it gives you an edge but in higher difficulty content is where these common mistakes show most. The boon duration is only high if 1. You know how to manage and maximize your duration and 2. Your enemy doesn’t boon strip you. If he does boonstrip you, it may seem like it’s easy to just get the boons back, but any decent player will take that window of opportunity and take you down. Revs run two legends for a reason. Running just one, even if it seems ultra powerful wouldn’t cut it, all legends have different properties and purposes.

I understand you mainly play PvE, but if you’re caring about what is expected of you, you’re not really having fun in the first place. Raids are currently considered the highest difficulty content in the game, yet I’ve seen raid squads run these with 10 Revenants(not all running Glint), proving Revenant is pretty versatile and can fill various roles – It;s all about how you want to play.
I’ve lately been thinking(a lot) about dropping Glint, not because I don’t like the playstyle and decision making on top of the core mechanics, I really do, BUT the other legends have so much potential. I was running the molten facility fractal the other day with another revenant when, to my surprise, I saw him using one of Ventari’s shields to completely block the fire projectile AoE’s that the Dredge threw. This may seem expected, but I never really gave Ventari the time it deserved, and seeing that just made me think about the potential it has in all areas of the game. An area where it’s been more or less a pain for many classes with not enough survivability, this time we stood there, in the middle, like “bring it on!”.
Best yet, I usually like to keep to one style for the entirety of my game play, BUT with Revenant I feel each legend could be used and swapped depending on the type of content, and that just seems so much fun to me, to the point it may very well become one of my goals when theorycrafting my builds. If you feel Glint isn’t for you, then don’t run Glint, run something else – I’d have you in my party any day.
If worst comes to worst, maybe Rev just isn’t for you?

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The facet actives just need to get buffed so they’re more attractive to use.

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Don’t run Glint,simple answer. I don’t like Glint either but I do take the Herald treeline to keep the facet that buffs duration time (you know the one on F2) and use Jallis and Malyx.

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, while I was a big fan of glint, these day I’ve seen myself using this skillset less and less. To put it simply, I tend to take the traitline which allow me to have the neat F2 but as for skillset, I more a fan of mallyx and jalis since I find glint skillset boring.

PS : Just seen the reply of the guy just above me. I think we think alike.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

I totally agree and have agreed for a while. It’s easily the strongest but also by far the easiest. There isnt much to Glint, but for power there is no alternative really. You never don’t take Glint for power; it’s 12 stacks of might, perma fury, protection and aoe boon duration. The activations are strong/easy to use too…

Its not just you, Glint needs a rework imo

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

I totally agree and have agreed for a while. It’s easily the strongest but also by far the easiest. There isnt much to Glint, but for power there is no alternative really. You never don’t take Glint for power; it’s 12 stacks of might, perma fury, protection and aoe boon duration. The activations are strong/easy to use too…

On what exactly? Glint is meant to be a boonbot and does that well.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Which is a problem, as is ele and PS warrior.

Because when a class can pretty much solo stack might/fury, it completely devalues any other class’s less OP utilities.

Necromancer’s Blood is Power and some mesmer/engineer traits would see the light of day if might/fury stacking was actually a group effort instead of trivially being covered by 1-2 classes.

I mean, let’s not pretend like passively sitting on 12-14 aoe stacks of might and perma fury isn’t outright ridiculous, on top of a facet that gives 50% increased boon duration.

And that’s on a class with the DPS potential of a revenant, who’s only SLIGHTLY below Tempest and Daredevil while having far more powerful utility and durability.

It’s not unique to the rev, though. These elite professions were advertised as sidegrades but they are total power creeps. Just like Chrono eclipsed and ruled out any chance of running core mesmer, or druid preventing any offensive ranger from being run, Glint will make sure that you only have a choice of a single legend as Glint is pretty much mandatory in PvE.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Varezenem.2813

Because when a class can pretty much solo stack might/fury, it completely devalues any other class’s less OP utilities.

Necromancer’s Blood is Power and some mesmer/engineer traits would see the light of day if might/fury stacking was actually a group effort instead of trivially being covered by 1-2 classes.

I mean, let’s not pretend like passively sitting on 12-14 aoe stacks of might and perma fury isn’t outright ridiculous, on top of a facet that gives 50% increased boon duration.

And that’s on a class with the DPS potential of a revenant, who’s only SLIGHTLY below Tempest and Daredevil while having far more powerful utility and durability.

It’s not unique to the rev, though. These elite professions were advertised as sidegrades but they are total power creeps. Just like Chrono eclipsed and ruled out any chance of running core mesmer, or druid preventing any offensive ranger from being run, Glint will make sure that you only have a choice of a single legend as Glint is pretty much mandatory in PvE.

I’m fairly sure that might stacking is something a PS Warrior can handle just as well (actually better) and they even bring banners… So in group utility Warriors outclass heralds.
On perma fury that’s ridiculously easy to achieve it’s something druids, thieves or elementalist can achieve if they want to.
Perma protection is something guardians achieve by AAing or Auramancing tempests achieve if they go earth/water/tempest.

Pretty much any boon heralds can do others can do just as well. The only things unique to heralds is the boon duration and assassins presence.

Glint is mandatory in PvE because it’s a boonbot but isn’t irreplaceable.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

(edited by Varezenem.2813)

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

Well it can do that with f2 easily but that’s a very passive play style. The main issue is that activating facets gives a strong effect with no consequence. For example Facet of Strength gives might for 14s (with the herald trait of +15% boon duration) on a 15s cooldown for the activation. So you can activate it with little consequence, sure your might will go down near the late stages of the cooldown (if you didn’t have facet of nature up) but in a scenario like pvp that doesn’t matter. The same can be said about the rest too. A simple solution would be to increase cooldown time or give an energy cost to the activation.

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

I’m fairly sure that might stacking is something a PS Warrior can handle just as well (actually better) and they even bring banners… So in group utility Warriors outclass heralds.
On perma fury that’s ridiculously easy to achieve it’s something druids, thieves or elementalist can achieve if they want to.
Perma protection is something guardians achieve by AAing or Auramancing tempests achieve if they go earth/water/tempest.

Pretty much any boon heralds can do others can do just as well. The only things unique to heralds is the boon duration and assassins presence.

Glint is mandatory because no other class will give as immense a DPS boost as a revenant increasing quickness uptime on the group by 50%.

That is not up for debate.

And neither the guardian or PS warrior or ranger are putting out the DPS a herald is doing, which is above everyone else besides ele and daredevil who are empty utility specs.

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Varezenem.2813

Glint is mandatory because no other class will give as immense a DPS boost as a revenant increasing quickness uptime on the group by 50%.

And neither the guardian or PS warrior or ranger are putting out the DPS a herald is doing, which is above everyone else besides ele and daredevil who are empty utility specs.

Well I guess you also need to copy paste less since you seem to forget the context in which these tests were made.

BTW no revenant variant

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Glint Ruins Rev For Me

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Well I guess you also need to copy paste less since you seem to forget the context in which these tests were made.

BTW no revenant variant

It’s almost like it flew right past your head that a “variant” does not mean “optimal”, much like there are variant builds for when a PS warrior is not present or you don’t have a Druid in the group.

Can’t wait for improved DPS parsing tools in-raid to be done with your hand-waving about context, because said context applies to every other class’s performance and many of those classes don’t just get the bulk of their DPS from mashing the autoattack and occasionally #2 like the revenant does.