Hammer still feels too slow and/or weak

in Revenant

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

I get that your vision for hammer is that it’s a slow “heavy” attack, but it still just doesn’t feel that heavy.

For example I’m playing sword/sword and hammer, and when I switch to hammer I’m still seeing the same kind of numbers I got with sword, but a lot slower.

I get that ranged attacks should be less damaging than melee on average, but with hammer being so slow I think it really needs a bit more of a bump.

Either that or make it just a bit faster … which I would really prefer, the biggest problem I have with it is just tagging stuff because by the time it swings whatever it was is already dead … even something like a tower or keep lord can be dead by the time I get there. It doesn’t matter how much you hit for if you can never get a hit.

Other than that, I was very happy with how revenant is turning out.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

You mean the AA? well yes it may be a bit slow but i think is fine.
Hammer is an amazing wep, so i don’t really see what to complain about :-D

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

even something like a tower or keep lord can be dead by the time I get there.

This has nothing to do with hammer attack speed.

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

Hammer is fine. It’s very well balanced in my opinion.

Half the community says X part of the revenant is overpowered. The other half think it’s useless. The truth is that very few things about this profession are still broken. Stop complaining.

in Revenant

Nabrok.9023

Of course it does. If a champion (as keep lords are) is already dead by the time I press 1 and the attack actually hits, that’s a problem.

Just tagging in general with the hammer is very difficult … tab … “nope dead” … tab …. “nope dead” … tab …. “ah, got a hit!” tab …. “nope, dead” … and so on …

All classes

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Hammer feels perfect imo through and through.

Of course it does. If a champion (as keep lords are) is already dead by the time I press 1 and the attack actually hits, that’s a problem.

Just tagging in general with the hammer is very difficult … tab … “nope dead” … tab …. “nope dead” … tab …. “ah, got a hit!” tab …. “nope, dead” … and so on …

So a champ dies in 1 second? Problem is champ, not the skill.

in Revenant

Nabrok.9023

Hammer feels perfect imo through and through.

So a champ dies in 1 second? Problem is champ, not the skill.

They can go down pretty quick in wvw sometimes. I wouldn’t say 1 second, but certainly seconds, and I may not always start attacking at the same moment that every body else does. I have certainly missed tagging a keep or tower lord because hammer was too slow, and while that doesn’t prevent credit for the capture of the structure it does cost me a champion bag.

That said, I’d live with it if hammer actually felt that it hit heavy but it just doesn’t. Every attack in the sword auto-attack chain except the middle one hits heavier, and it’s much faster. Yes, melee should do more damage than ranged, but there’s a lot of room in there to improve hammer auto damage and still average less than sword. Even if they doubled hammer auto damage (which I am not suggesting), it would still be less than the sword auto chain.

All classes

(edited by Nabrok.9023)

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

I mean no disrespect, but with easy access to swiftness and/or quickness, if you can’t manage to get a hit in from range before the zerg has closed to melee and a champion is dead, it sounds like you were awfully late arriving.

I agree it can be frustrating to miss the tail end of an event or tagging an enemy, but blaming the auto attack seems like quite a stretch.

in Revenant

Posted by: Chaosbroker.3860

Chaosbroker.3860

Doesn’t fire that slowly and hits as hard as ranger longbow at max range. Hammer auto damage is actually pretty good.

Callo Merlose – Revenant
Envy – Fort Aspenwood
“Believe in yourself … because the rest of us think you’re an idiot”

in Revenant

Posted by: Terra.8571

Terra.8571

I think I know what the OP is getting at. Hammer AA with it’s 1s cast feel’s ‘slow’. But that’s probably because he’s use to fast attacking weapons like me e.g. daggers and swords. I actually think the utility of the hammer is fine and if they tried to make the hammer quicker they’d end up nerfing damage. Personally, I think the OP needs to either accept hammer’s are a slow weapon for Rev’s or do what I did and use faster weapons.

I had lots of fun in PvE with S/S + S/Sh (Glint + Jalis/Shiro) and in sPvP M/Sh + St (Mallyx + Glint). I think the hammer is too good to give up for WvW though, but I didn;t test it that much.

in Revenant

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Stop blobbing in wvw and you’ll be fine.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Revenant

Nabrok.9023

I think I know what the OP is getting at. Hammer AA with it’s 1s cast feel’s ‘slow’. But that’s probably because he’s use to fast attacking weapons like me e.g. daggers and swords. I actually think the utility of the hammer is fine and if they tried to make the hammer quicker they’d end up nerfing damage. Personally, I think the OP needs to either accept hammer’s are a slow weapon for Rev’s or do what I did and use faster weapons.

I had lots of fun in PvE with S/S + S/Sh (Glint + Jalis/Shiro) and in sPvP M/Sh + St (Mallyx + Glint). I think the hammer is too good to give up for WvW though, but I didn;t test it that much.

Close …. slow and hard hitting would be fine, but as it is it’s just slow and meh. I literally lose more than half of my dps switching from sword to hammer. It’s supposed to feel slow and heavy. It just feels slow.

And yes, I do use sword and staff as well … and having weapon swap mitigates the problem somewhat as I can switch to faster weapons when needed.

All classes

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Close …. slow and hard hitting would be fine, but as it is it’s just slow and meh. I literally lose more than half of my dps switching from sword to hammer. It’s supposed to feel slow and heavy. It just feels slow.

Keep in mind that sword is limited to three targets while Hammer can hit five, considerably more spread apart (albeit in a line). Sword HAS to do more damage against fewer opponents. If hammer were brought up anywhere near the single target damage of sword, it would be completely overkill against groups. I feel like hammer is in a good spot. Moreover, the delay between hits gives you a chance to adjust positioning, which can be important for hitting multiple targets.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lemondish.3268

Lemondish.3268

No, he’s right. This isn’t related strictly to attack speed. What you’re actually touching on is several concepts that together give us the concept of attack speed including cast time, precast windows, and projectile velocity. The scenario you gave could be solved by adjusting any one of those, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the attack speed is too low.

I would say that a Champ dying in mere seconds sounds more like an issue with Champ design than Revenant. Do you have any other example as to why you feel the attack speed is too low?

in Revenant

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Hammer is fine imo because you can really ramp up its dmg by combing it with the other 4 skills it has.

I only use hammer in wvw when enemies are grouped up because it can hit really really hard at max range with the 2 skill.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

it’s slow but has a very high dps.

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Hammer worked just fine. The damage was high for a range weapon, and the added bonus is the the weapon pierces (5 targets) by default making it a very strong weapon even when firing un-targeted. The AA does seem a bit slow but similar to a Ranger’s Longbow you use the AA when you have to, otherwise, there are much better skills on 2-5.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Hammer is fine imo because you can really ramp up its dmg by combing it with the other 4 skills it has.

Good point. It’s a piercing, 100% projectile finisher on an auto-attack with built-in access to a dark field…

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

And yes, I do use sword and staff as well … and having weapon swap mitigates the problem somewhat as I can switch to faster weapons when needed.

How is it not strong? #2 has insane dmg at max range and you can find the sweet spot with 2 hits as well with a bit of skill which resulted for me in 12k dmg (with no vuln and might). IT defo is ahrd hitting with proper gear.

Good point. It’s a piercing, 100% projectile finisher on an auto-attack with built-in access to a dark field…

And 2 blast finishers Hammer is awesome imo. My favorite Hammer in the game out of professions using hammer.

in Revenant

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I have to admit, it would be nice to have the projectile speed upped a bit (NOT cast time or animation lock/recoil/whatever you want to call it. DPS would remain constant, it would simply reach the enemy faster), it would certainly help with the tagging problem the OP is having, as well as feeling like a more sensible animation.

I mean, you’re throwing a hammer, watching it lazily drift towards the enemy feels odd, it feels like it should be insanely quick due to the force you’d need to throw it with.

imagine if Thor were to throw his hammer but it slowly moved towards the enemy rather than quickly, it would look ridiculous.

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

in Revenant

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

imagine if Thor were to throw his hammer but it slowly moved towards the enemy rather than quickly, it would look ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than when he throws himself with the hammer. XD I swear, any time he takes flight in those movies, I can’t help but giggle.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Revenant

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

Hammer hits like a freakin’ truck for all the range and AoE it has. It’s kinda crazy, really. Sword outdoes that, of course, but sword is also melee and has a lower target cap.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kikidori.5916

Kikidori.5916

Hammer hits like a freakin’ truck for all the range and AoE it has. It’s kinda crazy, really. Sword outdoes that, of course, but sword is also melee and has a lower target cap.

The Hammer does more damage than a Necro’s Life Blast at max range. So yeah. It does a ton of damage.

The Desolation of Great Jungle Wurm!

in Revenant

Posted by: Griffith.7238

Griffith.7238

There is a whole other thread where people are complaining about how OP Coalescence of Ruin is lol. Which one is it OP or garbage?

IMO the Hammer feels great the lackluster AA is more then made up by Coalescence of Ruin with its low cd and powerful damage output. Field of the Mists only 6 sec downtime 12 sec cd with 6 sec duration yes please. Hammer is awesome.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

There is a whole other thread where people are complaining about how OP Coalescence of Ruin is lol. Which one is it OP or garbage?

Neither.

in Revenant

Posted by: PlasticHippo.8934

PlasticHippo.8934

only reason hammer is a great weapon right now is because of weapon swap. sounds like the OP just doesn’t know how to swap weapons at the right time.

in Revenant

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Hammer felt great to me. It’s one of the better ranged weapons in game.

in Revenant

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Its actually my fav ranged weapon. Ranger LB prob does more single target damage, and mesmer GS is prob better overall for pvp, but other than that, its great