Help me choose rune for revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

I can’t decide which one is best for my herald:

Superior Rune of Speed 30% swiftness duration, 25% speed.
Superior Rune of Traveler 15% boon duration, 25% speed.
Superior Rune of Durability 25% boon duration.
Superior Rune of Leadership 30% boon duration.

in Revenant

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

for which game mode? =) well boon duration is good choice ^^

Traveller … isn’t worth anymore … no need 25% speed when u have perma swiftness

I quite like the new rune of surging —> boon duration / power / shocking aura on elite skill
In pvp , hoelbrak is the best since revenant hasn’t that much condi cleanse

in Revenant

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

None of those. Go for scholar, strength, or hoelbrak. It also helps to know what kind of play style you’re going for and in which game mode. PvP? PvE? Dps or support?

You don’t need swiftness or boon duration. Revenant can have pretty much 100% up time on swiftness and has traits that increase boon duration and even an entire power dedicated to it (facet of nature, 50% boon duration).

(edited by fellyn.5083)

in Revenant

Posted by: BROKENCAPS.4561

BROKENCAPS.4561

Agree with the above, you don’t really need more boon duration.

It’s subjective, but I prefer Strength over Hoelbrak for the extra 5% Damage modifier. I also go Hammer over Staff for the extra damage – here’s the build I’m having most success with:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAS8un3guNSuQ7JRboVlsP0rS4IaWJ4EdsklNFSNG54HtB4APwOgHchA-TZBFABFcQAEvMQJ7PQwkittennAAA

I’m very much still learning to play my Rev, but enjoying the learning curve!

in Revenant

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

no need boon duration… but strenght have increased might duration… OFC u need boon duration XD

It helps for the energy management. If u can get 35 sec of fury when ur fury facet is on cd for 40 sec is more worth than juste 20 sec of fury for 40 sec cd.

and more might duration —> more migh stacks accumulated…. so yeah boon duration is a GREAT stat for revenant.

in Revenant

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Might duration is not the same as boon duration. In any case you would lose a lot of power using any one of those rune sets the Op posted to make any benefit you’d gain from longer boons moot.

in Revenant

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Traveller … isn’t worth anymore … no need 25% speed when u have perma swiftness

Not true at all. Think of the 25% run speed increase as a perma-1 energy per second reduction (20% energy savings) on Traveler Runes depending on how much you micro-manage your energy. Even if you micro-manage, it’s probably around a ~10% energy savings. That’s actually pretty significant boost that offsets any offensive/defensive losses through picking another Rune.

Now in specific group settings where you are giving Swiftness because your groupmates don’t build for it (classes without 100% swiftness or taking their own 25% perma), it loses some value since you are probably running it anyways.

I don’t know, I’d rather be giving perma-regeneration boon (One with Nature fills the gap when you actually need to heal) over perma-swiftness anyday and using Traveler Rune does that. It’s more about the sacrifice of stats (but none of the + boon duration Runes are overly impressive there).

Eventually, this will be my choice with a Herald focused build. Not only does it push certain boon duration thresholds (without super expensive consumables), the 6th bonus, Elite portion condition conversion is huge for Heralds.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Fun fact is..i use traveler runes on my rev. At some point hoping for base rev to be viable (0 reliable access to swiftness/25% movement atm) and bc i found the little boon/condi dura to be far more useful than lets say..str rune.

In pvp swiftness also can be stripped and you need to waste energy to keep it up while i use it active ability off cd and i dont worry about boonstrips either.

Assuming i can land all 7 hits from UA i can sustain perma 25 might stacks on my own so..not sure if str rune is all that much needed.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

no need boon duration… but strenght have increased might duration… OFC u need boon duration XD

It helps for the energy management. If u can get 35 sec of fury when ur fury facet is on cd for 40 sec is more worth than juste 20 sec of fury for 40 sec cd.

and more might duration —> more migh stacks accumulated…. so yeah boon duration is a GREAT stat for revenant.

Except rune of strength and rune of hoelbrak both provide excellent might duration bonuses while also boosting your DPS far more than any general boon duration rune set.

in Revenant

Posted by: Garimeth.8725

Garimeth.8725

Hoelbrak and strength are both nice, but if you want a cheap option you could also go with Rage, which also nets you another damage bonus when under fury.

I think you guys are focusing a bit too much on the boon duration portion of the rune sets… People aren’t saying to run strength for the might duration, that’s a bonus. The primary reason is a flat damage increase while under the effects of might, and the increase to power. Hoelbrak is for the power and reduced condi duration, and people only recommend that as an ALTERNATIVE to strength. Same reason I am running Rage, its not for the fury duration, its for the bonus ferocity and damage bonus (and cause strength runes are super expensive.).

If you are going for “boon duration” there are better choices than the ones you all listed tbh, ESPECIALLY if you are doing it for swiftness up time. Both Runes of the Pack and Centaur would provide you good swiftness increases, while still giving you offensive stats.

That said. OP never said what game mode. Unless its for WvW or solely for open world content then tanking your dps for movement speed by using any of the sets in the OP just doesn’t make sense. At the very least runes of the Pack would be a better choice, and even those are sub par to say Strength, Scholar, Ogre, and Rage. Reason being is that the four I just listed give offensive stats, AND a damage bonus.

My 2 cents.

in Revenant

Posted by: Potato Slayer.3107

Potato Slayer.3107

Hoelbrak and strength are both nice, but if you want a cheap option you could also go with Rage, which also nets you another damage bonus when under fury.

I think you guys are focusing a bit too much on the boon duration portion of the rune sets… People aren’t saying to run strength for the might duration, that’s a bonus. The primary reason is a flat damage increase while under the effects of might, and the increase to power. Hoelbrak is for the power and reduced condi duration, and people only recommend that as an ALTERNATIVE to strength. Same reason I am running Rage, its not for the fury duration, its for the bonus ferocity and damage bonus (and cause strength runes are super expensive.).

If you are going for “boon duration” there are better choices than the ones you all listed tbh, ESPECIALLY if you are doing it for swiftness up time. Both Runes of the Pack and Centaur would provide you good swiftness increases, while still giving you offensive stats.

That said. OP never said what game mode. Unless its for WvW or solely for open world content then tanking your dps for movement speed by using any of the sets in the OP just doesn’t make sense. At the very least runes of the Pack would be a better choice, and even those are sub par to say Strength, Scholar, Ogre, and Rage. Reason being is that the four I just listed give offensive stats, AND a damage bonus.

My 2 cents.

If that was true then might as well take berserker runes. The thing is, might duration lets you upkeep extra stacks of might while in Glint.

in Revenant

Potato Slayer.3107

For boon duration, the best alternative right now is rune of surging, due to the +power and boon duration combo. The shocking aura is nice, tho kind of niche may help in wvw or spvp.

in Revenant

Garimeth.8725

If that was true then might as well take berserker runes. The thing is, might duration lets you upkeep extra stacks of might while in Glint.

No, because those runes are condition stats, not power. And if you look at the top recommended dps rune set for every power build its scholars, not strength, strength is the alternative for everybody except the PS war.

I stand by my previous statement, the might duration is a bonus, not the goal. At least when in a group. And I’ll allow that the might duration is a big bonus, but the herald’s primary job is not to stack the party to 25 might, only to contribute to those stacks. Hell look at Obal’s guide, even he agrees with what I’m saying and only recommends strength runes when solo or in a pug that doesn’t stack might.

in Revenant

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

For boon duration, the best alternative right now is rune of surging, due to the +power and boon duration combo. The shocking aura is nice, tho kind of niche may help in wvw or spvp.

That’s what i said in my first message !!!! thanks potato … i didn’t have to repeat then <3

in Revenant

Potato Slayer.3107

No, because those runes are condition stats, not power. And if you look at the top recommended dps rune set for every power build its scholars, not strength, strength is the alternative for everybody except the PS war.

I stand by my previous statement, the might duration is a bonus, not the goal. At least when in a group. And I’ll allow that the might duration is a big bonus, but the herald’s primary job is not to stack the party to 25 might, only to contribute to those stacks. Hell look at Obal’s guide, even he agrees with what I’m saying and only recommends strength runes when solo or in a pug that doesn’t stack might.

Berserker does give str, albeit less, but this was to your original suggestion of runes of rage, THAT GIVE NO POWER, a huge dps loss. Yes Scholar is #1 because it gives a whopping 10% modifier AND power. But if you are saying runes of rage are just as good as strength due to the 5%, you are dead wrong.

in Revenant

Potato Slayer.3107

flat damage increase while under the effects of might, and the increase to power.

Flat damage, and increase to power. Berserker does fill both those roles. As does scholar, strength. Runes of the flame legion can even fit that role if someone keeps up burning on the target. Revenant does not need a bonus duration to fury when you run herald.

in Revenant

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

My 2 cents.

Better alternative with a certain (solo) build/gear/consumables setup too is Wurm

Revenant does not need a bonus duration to fury when you run herald.

When people are thinking generic Boon duration, they are thinking more support (offensive and/or defensive) and usually team-based. Strength and Hoelbrak is used because Might spread via FoS is not just for solo.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

in Revenant

Garimeth.8725

Berserker does give str, albeit less, but this was to your original suggestion of runes of rage, THAT GIVE NO POWER, a huge dps loss. Yes Scholar is #1 because it gives a whopping 10% modifier AND power. But if you are saying runes of rage are just as good as strength due to the 5%, you are dead wrong.

I think you must have just been looking to tell me I was wrong rather than reading my post, because:

1. I very clearly indicated that I am only using rage because I can’t afford Strength. (mentioned twice and only recommended as a budget option)

EDIT: Rage runes cost like 1g each, less than every other optimal rune that has been suggested. Hence why I mentioned it. Although after checking the price I’ll probably be getting ogre runes as it looks like the price has come down.

2. I also clearly said that runes of rage are better than the OP’s list, because ferocity and 5% is better than no offensive stats, NOT that it was better than Strength or even hoelbrak.

3. Lastly, I clearly indicated that the benefit of strength was NOT in its might duration, but in its power and flat benefit, which you agree with in the post following this one – despite your intital assertion that “If that was true then might as well take berserker runes. The thing is, might duration lets you upkeep extra stacks of might while in Glint.” Which you posted in response to my whole post, not the tiniest portion of it which you now say was what you were talking about.

You should read more carefully before you blast off on people to make sure you understand what is being said, because immediately after “correcting” me, you agree with the vast majority of what I said.

Cheers.

(edited by Garimeth.8725)

in Revenant

Garimeth.8725

flat damage increase while under the effects of might, and the increase to power.

Flat damage, and increase to power. Berserker does fill both those roles. As does scholar, strength. Runes of the flame legion can even fit that role if someone keeps up burning on the target. Revenant does not need a bonus duration to fury when you run herald.

Separate of my other post, I agree that Flame legion is good (use it on my guard) but I wouldn’t want to run it on a build that can’t provide its own burning. Ogre is also a pretty good option, and is what my wife runs on her mesmer because she is broke.

As far as fury duration I completely agree, and mentioned why my choice of Rage runes in my previous post.

in Revenant

Potato Slayer.3107

I think you must have just been looking to tell me I was wrong rather than reading my post, because:

1. I very clearly indicated that I am only using rage because I can’t afford Strength. (mentioned twice and only recommended as a budget option)

EDIT: Rage runes cost like 1g each, less than every other optimal rune that has been suggested. Hence why I mentioned it. Although after checking the price I’ll probably be getting ogre runes as it looks like the price has come down.

2. I also clearly said that runes of rage are better than the OP’s list, because ferocity and 5% is better than no offensive stats, NOT that it was better than Strength or even hoelbrak.

3. Lastly, I clearly indicated that the benefit of strength was NOT in its might duration, but in its power and flat benefit, which you agree with in the post following this one – despite your intital assertion that “If that was true then might as well take berserker runes. The thing is, might duration lets you upkeep extra stacks of might while in Glint.” Which you posted in response to my whole post, not the tiniest portion of it which you now say was what you were talking about.

You should read more carefully before you blast off on people to make sure you understand what is being said, because immediately after “correcting” me, you agree with the vast majority of what I said.

Cheers.

Your post was long rant just like this one.

1. OP was clearly going for boon duration, which you blasted in your first post.

2. You suggest a whole expense of runes (Power/%), then advise alternatively suggesting fury.

3. Power > % dmg. (and btw Pack actually gives 2 offensive stats)

4. It is not that I am blasting you or trying to prove you are wrong, no need for the high horse. You made a blanket statement which wasn’t entirely true, and contradicted yourself.

you guys are focusing a bit too much on the boon duration portion of the rune sets…

People aren’t saying to run strength for the might duration, that’s a bonus. The primary reason is a flat damage

Back to OP.

Runes:
(Power/Boon Duration) Surge
(Power/%) Scholar, Ogre, Berserker, Flame Legion (w/burning)
(Power/%/might duration) Strength
(Power/Precision/swift duration) Pack (w/might/fury/swift generation)

I would not suggest traveler/leadership, unless you are going for a hybrid build. But even then, there are better options.

in Revenant

Garimeth.8725

Your post was long rant just like this one.

1. OP was clearly going for boon duration, which you blasted in your first post.

2. You suggest a whole expense of runes (Power/%), then advise alternatively suggesting fury.

3. Power > % dmg. (and btw Pack actually gives 2 offensive stats)

4. It is not that I am blasting you or trying to prove you are wrong, no need for the high horse. You made a blanket statement which wasn’t entirely true, and contradicted yourself.

you guys are focusing a bit too much on the boon duration portion of the rune sets…

People aren’t saying to run strength for the might duration, that’s a bonus. The primary reason is a flat damage

I mentioned pack also, I was actually the first person to mention pack. Also other than pack the only expensive runes I recommended was the ones others had already mentioned. I also never blasted the OP for boon duration, I was pointing out that people aren’t saying strength runes primarily for the “boon duration”.

Finally, I certainly never contradicted myself the fact that you listed those two statements as proof of that just highlights that you’re not bothering to read my post in its entirety. The smallest portion of your disagreement with me was rune of rage, which you ignored my reason for suggesting – and then every other point you have made was a point I made first! lol.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

I can’t decide which one is best for my herald:

Superior Rune of Speed 30% swiftness duration, 25% speed.
Superior Rune of Traveler 15% boon duration, 25% speed.
Superior Rune of Durability 25% boon duration.

Listen, the only class that’s basically cursed with using travelers and associated speed runes are Guardians… for obvious reasons. All other classes should avoid them like the plague. Just too much of a dps loss.