Human Deity choice?

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Hey all, coming here to ask all your guys/gals opinions on, which Human Deity best suits the Revenant class purely on its lore/core mechanics. Reason I ask is I am pretty nit-picky about my characters setup and back ground, so I just want to get some insight, or if you chose to be a Human Revenant, which Deity did you choose, and why?

The two I thought of was:
1. Balthazar, because of how brutal this class’s skill set seems to be, and being able to attune to different Legends to grant them power on the battlefield.
2. Grenth, well at the base, the Revenant is defined as a visible ghost, or animated corpse, and Grenth being the god of Death, ect. I thought this would also be fitting.

Thanks to those who reply, means a lot.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: gannondorf.7628

gannondorf.7628

Revenant is not a ghost and has nothing to do with grenth. Revenant is someone who has visited the mists alive and can channel the echos of the past heroes. Revenant don’t summon legends but basically memories of past heroes. So he don’t have nothing to do with grenth and it’s not an undead. It’s alive and just summon past legends. We are not in Wrath of the lich king here.
So basically you choice go better with balthazar, who is the master of war and warriors. You are basically a warrior empowered with power of legends of the past.
I hate human but if i would go with something i’ll go with balthazar.
You can actually go with Kormir too coz she is the godess of truth and spirit, that’s go well with the echoes of the past legends. Other legends seems less good but you can actually imagine that you character was a formal ranger blessed by melandru for exemple, and, at the door of the dead and the mist, he found the power to summon legends of the past. Basically you can go with everything with a bit of imagination.

(edited by gannondorf.7628)

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The ghost stuff comes from the connotation of the word ‘revenant’, but the denotation is a better fit.

I don’t think god choice would matter at all for a revenant. You’d just have to be adventuresome enough to travel to the mists, but the rest of the personality could be anything. However, Balthazar does seem to fit due simply to the fact it’s a soldier armor type.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Ailment.8591

Ailment.8591

I’ll address two things at once here:

Yes, name wise, Grenth would be the most fitting choice given the backstory of what Revenant means in the context of RL, as a Revenant is tied to a ghost or ‘being’ back from the dead.

Inside GW2 however it’s been established that Revenants don’t have to die to become a revenant, nor sacrifice their eyes* to become a revenant. I personally have a bit of disdain towards the obvious ‘oh this character died so I’m bringing them back as a revenant’, but it’s not entirely out of touch, just overused.

Personally my Revenant is effectively the same as my Warrior, just that the Warrior undertook training into the new profession’s magic, and voila.

*The whole blindfold thing is basically how they ‘focus’ their energies. For example, imagine a Necromancer that was blind, the Necromancer could theoretically ‘see’ using their ability to sense life

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Would it not depend on the character?

Because the Revenant’s magic is white, does that mean the character’s favourite colour is white? No. It can be whatever they want it to be.

A Necromancer can be a patron of Lyssa if they want, in the same way a Revenant can devote to who ever they want. I think the whole associating gods with professions thing is a bit odd and pointless.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Would it not depend on the character?

Because the Revenant’s magic is white, does that mean the character’s favourite colour is white? No. It can be whatever they want it to be.

A Necromancer can be a patron of Lyssa if they want, in the same way a Revenant can devote to who ever they want. I think the whole associating gods with professions thing is a bit odd and pointless.

It came from GW1 where each class had a particular patron god, as well a humans ‘misunderstanding’ a lot of how magic worked. It’s changed now, although it would still make a lot of sense for a ranger to worship Melandru. I’m sure a lot of human rangers still feel obligated to worship her to (mistakenly) improve their nature magic.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Knox.8462

Knox.8462

As a Revenant you mooch on the powers and success of others to further your own goals. Kormir is the obvious choice

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If it were me I’d go with Grenth the god of death. He was not only revered by Necromancers but by Ritualists as well who do pretty much the same thing in GW1 as a Revnant does in GW2

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I ended up choosing, Balthazar for his Deity, mainly for the reason stated above, almost chose Grenth, but I didn’t feel that the skills or class itself didn’t scream, “Dark/Evil/Death”.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

gannondorf.7628

I ended up choosing, Balthazar for his Deity, mainly for the reason stated above, almost chose Grenth, but I didn’t feel that the skills or class itself didn’t scream, “Dark/Evil/Death”.

Revenant is not a Death Knight! I don’t know why people tend to love so much dark things, like so cool etc… I can barely understand in a game like fable or infamous when you can really play a bad guy, but in a mmorpg you just can’t.
Revenant is just a person alive that have travel the mists, and find spirits, but that’s not really spirits is more echoes of the past heroes, and have know how to summon them, empowering himself with legends powers. He is not an undead, he don’t want the end of the world, he is not a dark emo too.
The class that can be stated of “more evil” class in gw2 clearly is the necromancer. And more the reaper, reaping souls, summoning undead minions… Even if no one is evil in a mmorpg coz you barely save the world, have friends etc…

(edited by gannondorf.7628)

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Knox.8462

Knox.8462

To be fair there is a degree of moral ambiguity with the Revenant, since they have no issue with channelling the powers of demons and villains.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Kormir, because blindfolds…

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

gannondorf.7628

To be fair there is a degree of moral ambiguity with the Revenant, since they have no issue with channelling the powers of demons and villains.

Like thief who are, for the most, assassin and thieves. They have a moral ambiguity too but they use there skills to the good. Mesmer too can frighten foes with nightmares and illusions. Barely all the classes can have a moral ambiguity if you look good. In gw2, the thing is that the most "evil"classe is necromancer, making undead minions, reaping and using souls etc… But, like every mmorpg, they use there skills for the good. I don’t see revenant to be an evil character, almost with a moral ambiguity like thiefs yes, coz they invoke the most powerfull heroes or villains, they just use the most powerfull. They are not like a guardian for exemple who are supposed to be paragon, incarnation of light and good.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

A bit late now, but last time this question came up, I said Grenth and Kormir were the best options.

In Guild Wars 1, Grenth was the patron deity of ritualists, and revenants are essentially a kind of battle-ritualist that summons spirits into themselves to empower themselves rather than summoning the spirits externally like the ritualist. It’s also worth noting that Grenth was also associated with history (see the Durheim Archives in GW1), and since the revenant is mostly drawing from historical figures, that seems fitting.

Kormir comes up because of the connection between Kormir and spirit, and thus it makes sense that members of a profession heavily based on the spirit world would seek Kormir’s blessing. She’s also likely a more martial goddess due to her history (not as much as Balthazar, obviously – I’d be thinking of the comparison between Athena and Ares here) and its worth noting that two of the four core legends are significant figures (albeit opponents) at the time of Kormir’s ascension. A human revenant might seek Kormir’s protection to be able to channel the powers of Kormir’s defeated enemies without being consumed by them, or might see channeling these figures as a demonstration of faith and piety, entering a mental struggle with former generals of Abaddon just as Kormir herself had to fight to keep her mind intact from Abaddon’s influence.

Now, you can certainly make an argument for any of the others, particularly if you lean towards certain legends, but those are the two I consider most fitting.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I hate human

Self hate is a terrible thing. Learn how to be comfortable in your own skin.

Human Deity choice?

in Revenant

gannondorf.7628

I hate human

Self hate is a terrible thing. Learn how to be comfortable in your own skin.

In RPG i was saying. That’s pretty obivous. I just prefer to play another race than human or humanized race when i have the choice.