I can't choose

I can't choose

in Revenant

Posted by: Wrongone.5763

Wrongone.5763

I’m one of those people that like to have just one main character and prefer to not swap around. so I just came back about a week ago from not playing for 2 years cause I sold my pc.
I use to mostly play a guardian but I only ever really did like one dungeon and map completion I got like 40% done. I found the Guardian back then you be clunky. and just wasn’t my thing.
when I came back I joined a guild told theme the rough idea of what I’d like to accomplish which are I’d like to get into doing pve content and aswel as wvw and to be capable to hold my own in a fight even if it came to beingredients 1v2 or 1v3.
I like to have the ability of support but I want to be able to kick some butt lol.
for some reason I was looking at mesmer. my guild recommended I give rev a try as it sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. I’m just unsure with me wanting to do it all with one which one fits better?

I can't choose

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Guardian became a lot better. No more boon steals in fractals and updated mh sword is kitteng awesome and scepter is now the go to ranged weapon over DH bow for the purpose of pure dps. Revenant on the other hand….well he only has 1 viable build and the support component comes solely from Glint (which is a very passive style of support)

Unless you want to fight mobs with a staff in melee range from lvl 1 I would say go with either Guardian or Mesmer.

I can't choose

in Revenant

Wrongone.5763

I have a boost to level 40 and a few level 30s. I’m just not sure if I should finish the elite skill on the Guardian or try the Rev like others have suggested. no one has suggested mesmer yet and I haven’t looked into them they just sound interesting.

I can't choose

in Revenant

Jack Skywalker.5674

Do you mean elite specialization?Personaly I prefer core Guardian over DH and I recomend Mesmer over Revenant because the support skills of Mesmer (portal entre,feedback dome,veil and mass invisibility are my favorite support skills – but I never had the patience to level him) are more interesting than Revenant’s (Glint dragon stance – most passive crap I ever saw n this game, and Ventari, which needs both Salvation and Herald to achieve it’s full potential and has no stun break within it).

If you were to take a close look at Rev forums – most people who play this class are very unhappy with it and have problems recomending it.

I can't choose

in Revenant

Wrongone.5763

what I am trying to accomplish is a main character for all game modes I only want one character. if rev is that broken I guess it’s between guardian and mesmer which wouldn’t take me long to level.

I have a guardian at max level already but to me it feels clunky if that makes sense. atleast 2 years ago it did I’m somewhat managing to play it but just unsure on what I’m even doing now

I can't choose

in Revenant

Jack Skywalker.5674

My final advice: re-learn guardian and see if it now fits your current desires. Revenant would have fit the bill perfectly if not for the following facts:
1)Corruption does not provide a reliable increase in condi dps, it’s very ghimicky with it’s on crit conditions + the conditions applied are not damage oriented but control orientated
2)Invocation and Herald are mandatory for all competitive Revenant builds
3)Salvation is useless without Ventari and needs a rework, because currently Ventari without the passives to increase healing to others is very weak!
4)Ventari has no stun break which makes playing a healer is very risky in encounters where mobs have access to some form of CC.
5) Very dependant of sigils.

I can't choose

in Revenant

Wrongone.5763

I will try to re learn guardian I will work on unlocking my elite spec. but I understand rev isn’t in the running anymore lol right now it’s between mesmer and guardian I don’t have a mesmer though

I can't choose

in Revenant

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Revenant is most versatile class, but what it exceeds in flexibility its lacking depth and is lackluster and buggy atm. Take guard and mes first, come back later when this class had its fixes.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

I can't choose

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Revenant is most versatile class, but what it exceeds in flexibility its lacking depth and is lackluster and buggy atm. Take guard and mes first, come back later when this class had its fixes.

I think more to the point is that Revs aren’t as dynamic as the other classes. All the classes gained significant power from the Elite specs, but don’t sacrifice anything significant to get it. More importantly, the first round of Elite specs were made to fill in blind spots of the class; giving no good reason to not want to take them.

But Revs are different in that they’ve become the new Ranger. Its a state of being underscoring a lack of compounded power via build synergy; and exemplifies the fact that while your individual skills are fairly strong, its unsatisfying (and sometimes frustrating) knowing there are always very easy to exploit blind spots in your build.

I finished up a Rev after the nerf (avoiding it largely due to not being able to deal with the constant CC in HOT maps); and I can tell that while it is doable in PvP, it feels terrible in PvE because of how they expose scaling problems within a build. The weapon choices are extremely Overt (staff of CC, Axe for mobility, Mace or Condi, Sword for Damage, Shield for Defensive pops, and Hammer when you need range/AOE tagging), and aren’t much use for combat without their paired trait line. Legends tend to operate the same way, and creates this situation where swapping either weapon or legend isn’t actually changing you’re play dynamic so much as accessing a one-off tool you can’t use otherwise.

Looking at the glint Meta worked previously, the linger time on the boon are the only reason you could switch out to your damage spec in order to temporary boost your DPS. Eles operate on a similar concept, but everything about it is not only more fluid, its also way more adaptable on the fly to recover from mistakes or unexpected flow changes in party behavior. Thats why I’ve always found the idea of skill rotation in Revs to be insanely clunky, as Eles rotations can flow in multiple directions, but the Revs are designed around “reversion” where one half of the class is power boost, the other is effect output, and you are built as sustain, but acts like a burst build. Its just so stiff in practice that if you’re not part of a team comp, you’re always exposed to something stupidly common in PvE maps…. where as every other class can weave support into their DPS builds.

Rangers didn’t really have anywhere to go when HOT launched, but I’ve seen mention of Druids now overtaking Revs because Support functions don’t cost them DPS, where as Rev coefficients were being slashed across the board.