Crystal Desert

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

1 second of swiftness? 1? No, really…1?

Impossible Odds is a pulsing quickness and super speed while you are upkeeping the skill.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Seisus.6591

Seisus.6591

Impossible Odds does not give swiftness. It gives quickness and super speed. Also, It’s an upkeep skill so these buffs will be present as long as you have the energy to maintain it. I don’t see the issue here.

Edit – Seems Roy stepped in while I was verifying my info in the poi.
Thanks Roy

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Impossible Odds is a pulsing quickness and super speed while you are upkeeping the skill.

Does it trigger the cd of legendswap when out of combat? I’m curious to know if we are going to be able to use it (almost) permanently while ooc.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

Does it trigger the cd of legendswap when out of combat? I’m curious to know if we are going to be able to use it (almost) permanently while ooc.

It’s not intended to be constantly used out of combat, but I think in the version you all get to play this weekend that you’ll be able to do what you said..

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

It’s not intended to be constantly used out of combat, but I think in the version you all get to play this weekend that you’ll be able to do what you said..

That’s amazing.
Uhm, “in the version you all get to play this weekend”
Lol, please don’t nerf its ooc effect, it’s the only good mobility option we currently have

It was almost impossible to keep up with far groups in WvW in the last beta WE.
Lightning field+blast forces to use mace+jalis (hammer is not fast enough and you need to stop to blast), and it’s bad if there are mobs around.
Also mace+jalis can’t really be used in jumping sessions without falling down.

If you really want to nerf IO ooc, then can we at least get swiftness baseline on jalis road skill? It’s a road afterall.

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

Just remove the superspeed part and add condition transfer like it was in original gw1 version of this skill. You wont have to worry about it “unintended part” boosting our move speed outside of combat anymore, while also providing us a viable tool to remove conditions in dps builds – it would also synergy well with Mallyx. Basically 3in1. With phase traverser and chill on sword 2 we dont really need superspeed. We would like to use upkeep abilities before the combat start, disabling it just due to this one skill is simply wrong.

obey me

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

Intended or not, it makes me giddy to use it that way because it fits into my image of making my vampire/demon hybrid character. Would certainly make me play GW2 for ever… and ever… and ever…

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

Just remove the superspeed part and add condition transfer like it was in original gw1 version of this skill. You wont have to worry about it “unintended part” boosting our move speed outside of combat anymore, while also providing us a viable tool to remove conditions in dps builds – it would also synergy well with Mallyx. Basically 3in1. With phase traverser and chill on sword 2 we dont really need superspeed. We would like to use upkeep abilities before the combat start, disabling it just due to this one skill is simply wrong.

It wouldn’t be disabling anything, just making the legend swap recharge is both in and out of combat so you can’t get back much more energy out of combat then you do in it. Which is something I intended to change anyways.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

i can see the backlash now, once u update it, the next time we play after this weekend lol. but this weekend sure will be fun, i love me some ooc mobility.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

It wouldn’t be disabling anything, just making the legend swap recharge is both in and out of combat so you can’t get back much more energy out of combat then you do in it. Which is something I intended to change anyways.

Having a legend swap recharge ooc sounds kind of clunky, sort of how weapon swap doesn’t have a cooldown ooc. Would it be better if maybe legend swapping ooc just didn’t reset energy to 50?

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Alpha.1308

Alpha.1308

Having a legend swap recharge ooc sounds kind of clunky, sort of how weapon swap doesn’t have a cooldown ooc. Would it be better if maybe legend swapping ooc just didn’t reset energy to 50?

elemental attunements go on full cooldown out of combat
seems normal

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

That’s amazing.
Lol, please don’t nerf its ooc effect, it’s the only good mobility option we currently have

Lightning field+blast forces to use mace+jalis (hammer is not fast enough and you need to stop to blast), and it’s bad if there are mobs around.

If you really want to nerf IO ooc, then can we at least get swiftness baseline on jalis road skill? It’s a road afterall.

Being primarily a WvW player. not having a way to get at least 25% ooc speed through a trait or through a passive on a decent utility will be a deal breaker for me putting any serious energy into the class.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Urgh, are those brakes on the hype train?

Would it be possible to have another mobility skill outside Shiro? Like Jalis road skill. I mean without blasting it

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Its not really what i been looking for as it will break many of my combos i could do before entering the combat.. and thats all due to olny 1 skill. Were not eles and we dont have access to 4 different f keys to make this change. With this change, can we get at least 100% energy ooc?

obey me

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

That wouldn’t really solve the ooc mobility issue.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

That wouldn’t really solve the ooc mobility issue.

Then use traveler runes. My suggestion has nothing to do with mobility ooc. Revenant is supposed to be slow turtle outside of combat so theres nothing you can complain about, just adapt to the desing. You can also blast road with hammer/mace.

obey me

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Who ever said that Revenant is meant to be slow ooc?

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

“Roy noted that the mobility of the Revenant in combat is a lot like the Thief’s out of combat… but he’s definitely not as mobile as the Thief when not in a fight drawing upon the Mists” http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/9418/page/2

0 mobility on weapon skills except axe 4 that require target? Check
Phase traversal target locked? Check.

Despite promoting Shiro as rev mobility legend, he doesnt have any trait to boost move speed. Desing screams that youre not supposed to to be mobile out of combat. Last post of Roy is a evidence of that by making a change to legend swap to prevent you from spam odds over and over to gain mobility boost.

That is also an article which i will base my complains about huge cd’s on sword/staff skill and wep swap soon™

Personally im fine with that, i will just slot traveler/speed runes depending on what i can gain from boon/condi duration and call it a day just like on my guard. Ofc it will prevent me from using any other rune but we cant have all the benefits without drawbacks right?

obey me

(edited by skowcia.8257)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

It was compared to thief that is by far the fastest class ooc. It was never said that revenant is meant to be slower then mesmer or guardian. Every class is slower then thief ooc (even without swiftness thief has many groun targeted blinks and perma +25%. Just spam bow #5 to outspeed everything).

Since it was compared to thief, this may even mean that revenant is supposed to be the second fastest class.

Having to rely on runes to travel is pretty bad, expecially in wvw. This is a huge disadvantage, since no other class has to go so far to get mobility (most of them just need a signet or a skill)

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

That’s amazing.

Being primarily a WvW player. not having a way to get at least 25% ooc speed through a trait or through a passive on a decent utility will be a deal breaker for me putting any serious energy into the class.

You DO have a way. It’s called Superior Rune of the Traveler x6. They aren’t there just for show you know. You not wanting to take them is not the same as not having a way to have that speed. You simply take what you value more. Speed and other bonuses or damage or w/e ?

It was compared to thief that is by far the fastest class ooc. It was never said that revenant is meant to be slower then mesmer or guardian.

Having to rely on runes to travel is pretty bad, expecially in wvw

It’s not. It’s called having an option. This is all here for a reason. Work with other classes, use traveler, or don’t. If ANet wanted all of us move constantly at +25-33% they would just increase movement speed.

It was also never said that he is meant to be fast or that he cannot be slower. Everything is a trade-effect. You give up something to have something else instead. Make your choice.

There are many effects that grant speed, swiftness on crit/kill/swap etc.

Professions with easy access to swiftness value these a lot less than other effects. Maybe we will value it more having less or no access to it.

(edited by Killyox.3950)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Since it was compared to thief, this may even mean that revenant is supposed to be the second fastest class.

Yeah, of course. That why they locked revenant mobility behind a target just like sword 2 and ji on guard and now this change to rpevent you from spamming superspeed ooc. K.

Having to rely on runes to travel is pretty bad, expecially in wvw. This is a huge disadvantage, since no other class has to go so far to get mobility (most of them just need a signet or a skill)

Guardian do. And even then you still getting kited. That wont be a problem with rev as his combat mobility is definitely is on par with thief/mesmer. Also zergs spam swiftness like no tomorrow so thats not an issue at all. Why complaining? Theres nothing to complain about, its a class desing. If youre not fine with that you can slot traveler runes or play another class with access to 25%/swiftness trait. And by selecting a signet many classes lose vulnerable slot in utility skills, in many cases its just better to get rune.

Traveler on it own is a fine rune and it will definietely help to keep up might stacks, improve chill, taunt, even stability from a dodge! It will also bring weakness from reflective hammer and quickness from odds up to 1.25sec (as the game tend to round that stuff)

obey me

(edited by skowcia.8257)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I like how everyone’s complaining about having to use runes of traveler/speed on Revenant. Meanwhile, I have a stack of 6 Traveler runes waiting especially for my Revenant xD
Seriously guys, stop qq’ing about ooc mobility for Revenant. If the class turns out really strong, it would be too ridiculous to ask to be a powerhouse in combat and uncatchable out of combat or running from zergs. We can’t have it all guys.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I like how everyone’s complaining about having to use runes of traveler/speed on Revenant. Meanwhile, I have a stack of 6 Traveler runes waiting especially for my Revenant xD
Seriously guys, stop qq’ing about ooc mobility for Revenant. If the class turns out really strong, it would be too ridiculous to ask to be a powerhouse in combat and uncatchable out of combat or running from zergs. We can’t have it all guys.

I got ~120 rage runes (mostly because i expect them to rise in price) and might get traveler runes if i see i need more speed.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

I’m not saying it should be changed, I’m saying it should stay as it is. There is no reason to add cd in swap ooc except to nerf IO ooc.

We’re going to experience a revenant with almost 100% swiftness uptime, that is not OP condidering that there are faster classes. If it has to be nerfed there should be a least a way to compensate without resorting to a rune set.

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

You cant nerf something that wasnt even officially released yet. You fail to see the difference between design and concept which change all the time during development and no, “compensation” is definitely not needed. We all knew that rev will end up being slow ooc.

We need to bring revenant up in some areas, but mobility inst one of them by any means.

obey me

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

I can agree I’m nitpicking in this regard. I still don’t know how much legendswap is going to be nerfed, so it’s pointless to argue now. I just hope not badly enough to force the use of traveler runes.

Funny how you quote my words from another context when they may suit what you personally want. Are you implying I was right?
I was playing devil’s advocate a bit. So basically you can’t be right now unless you admit you were wrong before
Well, except you are asking for a nerf now…

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I got ~120 rage runes (mostly because i expect them to rise in price) and might get traveler runes if i see i need more speed.

Strength and Hoelbrak will still be #1 for DPS due to Sword Might/Fire field blast from Mace (and then Hammer swap). The Fury GM trait (while decent) and with Ferocious Aggression does not overcome the damage throughput of Power + Might boon duration with ~50% crit chance from gear.

Also, it’s not just about Fury uptime but also Quickness boon uptime so Traveler’s would actually be better. And the condition duration from Traveler’s remains useful due to Vulnerability/other conditions.

However, Fury Runes could see their place as an alternative/perfect group set up (your group mates are max capping you with Might).

My vote is Traveler’s and if Swiftness boon comes from Glint, Runes of the Pack.

No surprise that these are the top 4 pricey Runes right now.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Rage is better. Revenant gets +10% crit rate and +7% damage from traits under fury, plus the normal 20% from the boon and 7% from the rune. 25 might is easier to achieve and mantain, expecially in pve and wvw, so you’re comparing a 5% with a 42% damage increase (factoring only 100% crit damage).
It’s math.

Price doesn’t really matter, since Revenant is the first class that gets so much boost from fury.

Also in group play both are outshadowed by scholar runes.

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

That’s amazing.

You DO have a way. It’s called Superior Rune of the Traveler x6. They aren’t there just for show you know. You not wanting to take them is not the same as not having a way to have that speed. You simply take what you value more. Speed and other bonuses or damage or w/e ?

It was compared to thief that is by far the fastest class ooc. It was never said that revenant is meant to be slower then mesmer or guardian.

Having to rely on runes to travel is pretty bad, expecially in wvw

It’s not. It’s called having an option. This is all here for a reason. Work with other classes, use traveler, or don’t. If ANet wanted all of us move constantly at +25-33% they would just increase movement speed.

It was also never said that he is meant to be fast or that he cannot be slower. Everything is a trade-effect. You give up something to have something else instead. Make your choice.

There are many effects that grant speed, swiftness on crit/kill/swap etc.

Professions with easy access to swiftness value these a lot less than other effects. Maybe we will value it more having less or no access to it.

Guy, I appreciate your perspective but please learn to read. Of course I know about Traveler but as I stated I am looking for a trait or a passive on a utility.

The class looks interesting but it also has to perform the way “I” want it to before I will put serious time into it. If it doesn’t then no big deal I have other classes that I enjoy. I never said do this or do that. I simply stated that particular aspect is a deal breaker for “ME” and my play style. It may not be for you, and that is your prerogative.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Artaz.3819

Rage is better. Revenant gets +10% crit rate and +7% damage from traits under fury, plus the normal 20% from the boon and 7% from the rune. 25 might is easier to achieve and mantain, expecially in pve and wvw, so you’re comparing a 5% with a 42% damage increase (factoring only 100% crit damage).
It’s math.

Price doesn’t really matter, since Revenant is the first class that gets so much boost from fury.

First, trait is +30% crit rate (not +10%). (20% from Fury + 30% additional from GM trait). I’m not sure if did math or just did the napkin version and compared Fury/Ferocity against Might/Power only without other boons and total boon uptime.

I’d like it if there was an actual Rune alternative.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

For what it’s worth I too would like to see some sort of option for a passive 25% movement increase. As with any 25% increase in the game, it would be an option and spec’d into or some kind of Signet. Yes there are rune options, but runes are also pretty big in terms of what else they offer and it’d be a shame to have to give up Rune slots for a little bit of convenience.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

It’s math.

First, trait is +30% crit rate (not +10%). (20% from Fury + 30% additional from GM trait). I’m not sure if did math or just did the napkin version and compared Fury/Ferocity against Might/Power only without other boons and total boon uptime.

As confirmed by Roy, the trait gives 50% of the usual + 20%, so it’s 30% total (20+10). He also sait it may be buffed. Description is misleading

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Artaz.3819

It’s math.

As confirmed by Roy, the trait gives 50% of the usual + 20%, so it’s 30% total (20+10). He also sait it may be buffed. Description is misleading

Ouch, that makes it worse to compare. :/ I didn’t use it the last two play tests but the very first, I could have sworn it was +50% on the character stat screen. Good to know

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

It may become a flat +20% in the future.
However Rage is already the second best option for Revenant, right after Scholar.
Just math.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

It’s math.

Yeah, I’m looking at buffing it because 10% crit for a GM trait is a bit weak. Might try making fury 100% better so it’d give 20% extra crit.

Revenants may get some access to swiftness. When it’s ready™

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

It’s math.

Yeah, I’m looking at buffing it because 10% crit for a GM trait is a bit weak. Might try making fury 100% better so it’d give 20% extra crit.

Great news :>

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Corran.4957

Corran.4957

Great news on both fronts. Said right away it should be 100% boost at gm level. And swiftness is a must. Infact is there any class that has 0 access without combo’s? Only one with no wePon access i can think off is thief that gets it in traits iirc

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Thief doesn’t even have to walk to go faster then any other class ahah

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Glint boon legend confirmed. Cant say im excited about it tho. Lets hope elite skill hits like a truck (more than killshot) and is unblockable >.<

obey me

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Boon focus on Glint makes a lot of sense with the lore and it’s what Revenant lacks at the moment (we have boons but all across the board).

Also in gw(1) she had a skill similar to regen (well, more like resistance+regen), a skill similar to retaliation, and something similar to slow + boon removal.
I won’t mind if she gest swiftness even if she didn’t have it in gw(1), as long as she is boon oriented it’s fine to add new boons.

Also condi cleanse would be nice, otherwise we’re basically forced to simply use glint+jalis with no other options.

I don’t really remember the effect of the Glint skill that Rytlock uses in the story. Guess I’ll see it again saturday. Was it damage+slow? Could be Crystal Bonds maybe?

(edited by Kidel.2057)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

It’s math.

Please take this route… Goodness, please… Make my Crusader Revenant a thing. <3 I’m counting on you, Roy!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

Can’t wait for friday, imma just run around town all day loool (well not really)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

It’s math.

Unless this was changed since the last rev beta, I tested it and I had 40% crit chance and after trait + fury, it went to 90% (aka +50%). So I took that as Fury 20% + trait 30%.

I don’t get how people are saying the trait gives 10%?

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

It’s math.

Soon™
:)

Glad to hear some swiftness application is coming. If we can get something akin to Necro’s perma warhorn swiftness or Shout Rangers swiftness application, that would be a complete blessing. Reward the player for being able to reapply swiftness while in combat instead of just giving them automatic 25% movement speed.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

Please consider doing something else to improve this slot. Crit chance is readily available in organized groups between gear, fury, and banners and food. Adding an additional 10% will put you over 100% in many PvE scenarios without even factoring in what you would pick up from something like Maniacal Persistence (Which is MUCH worse than 10% crit by the way).

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

It’s math.

Unless this was changed since the last rev beta, I tested it and I had 40% crit chance and after trait + fury, it went to 90% (aka +50%). So I took that as Fury 20% + trait 30%.

I don’t get how people are saying the trait gives 10%?

He had mentioned in a thread I made a while back for clarification. The 50% shown was a tooltip error. You were actually gaining 30% total crit (a boost of 10% from normal fury), which was stated correctly on the fury tooltip once activated.

Please consider doing something else to improve this slot. Crit chance is readily available in organized groups between gear, fury, and banners and food. Adding an additional 10% will put you over 100% in many PvE scenarios without even factoring in what you would pick up from something like Maniacal Persistence (Which is MUCH worse than 10% crit by the way).

Gotta think outside the box. These types of things allow for amazing gear combinations (like Crusaders) and open up options for either increasing survivability without losing any DPS or hybridization, allowing you to maximize Power and Condition damage without sacrificing your critical chance too heavily. Its traits like this that we need, that really change how you can play and what gear you can use effectively.

Edit: Yes, Maniacal Persistence is much worse, but frankly, Invocation is shaping up to be the Crit/Fury line. I’d rather MP just be changed to something else more useful. MP would have to give like 7-10% crit per second, with the way it resets, to even start becoming viable, it’s just not worth it if you ask me, when there are plenty of things the Revenant could still use that could go in that spot.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

Gotta think outside the box. These types of things allow for amazing gear combinations (like Crusaders) and open up options for either increasing survivability without losing any DPS or hybridization, allowing you to maximize Power and Condition damage without sacrificing your critical chance too heavily. Its traits like this that we need, that really change how you can play and what gear you can use effectively.

Edit: Yes, Maniacal Persistence is much worse, but frankly, Invocation is shaping up to be the Crit/Fury line. I’d rather MP just be changed to something else more useful. MP would have to give like 7-10% crit per second, with the way it resets, to even start becoming viable, it’s just not worth it if you ask me, when there are plenty of things the Revenant could still use that could go in that spot.

I won’t disagree that it allows you to run more defensive stats without sacrificing damage. Unfortunately, that isn’t a valuable thing in most of the currently available content.

If this was one of a dozen damage increasing traits, it wouldn’t be a problem, but there are almost no damage increasing traits anywhere, so the ones you do have really need to work well.

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

If you see you’re going over 100% simply change some gear pieces to trade precision for something else. You still gain, since rev is very fragile and would love some more vit/toughness

Impossible odds?

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Problem with fury is that rev has mediocre access to it.. Its no big deal in pve where a team stack fury for you, but in solo settings it will be quite problematic to keep up, and in pvp swapping every 10seconds wont be a optimal way if someone plan to do some combos with utility skills.

obey me