Love revenant but being told its terrible

in Revenant

Posted by: DarKNesS.3156

DarKNesS.3156

I joined the revenant boat late, as I stopped playing just before the release of the expansion until about 3 weeks ago. Since then I’ve been playing a lot, and I play a lot of mid-high fractals and some pvp. I used to be pretty high up in pvp but I’ve found based on what I’ve read that revs have been nerfed to oblivion, and this is true in pve as well. But I also realised when I tried to go back to my original most played classes (warr and guard) I just found myself wanting to play my guardian a lot as I just have some natural attachment to how the prof was designed and enjoy it above every other prof I’ve tried.

So are they really that bad? Will I never be able to do well in raids or ever wanted? And in pvp is it really bottom tier?

I’m hoping I can get some experienced rev players or players that really understand the meta in pve and pvp to answer, and whether it really is worth it to destroy how much I like the prof because it’s just not worth the effort. If it just takes a lot of effort and skill I could work towards it but if that’s not even possible.

in Revenant

DarKNesS.3156

When I said “I found myself wanting to go back and play my guardian a lot” I meant revenant :P

in Revenant

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Rev is just the hardest class to play in pvp right now. Apparently for top tier it is still pretty ok, but for the vast majority of players they are just better off playing something like dragonhunter, or really any other class.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in Revenant

Posted by: serj.8214

serj.8214

Rev is good in pve or pvp its just matter of how good you are on Rev)

in Revenant

Posted by: Bezerker.2379

Bezerker.2379

Rev is just the hardest class to play in pvp right now. Apparently for top tier it is still pretty ok, but for the vast majority of players they are just better off playing something like dragonhunter, or really any other class.

While I’m not going to argue that there’s a huge difference between a fresh rev and a rev who knows what he’s doing now, I’m going to completely disagree that they are the hardest class to play now.

Their damage got nerfed. Their 1v1 potential is significantly diminished (still possible). They’re teamfighters now and we still combined with the team do a great job of opening up bunkers like a tin can.

Rev is still seen in legend and plat quite often, and it will not be going anywhere. It’s just not 100% required now like it used to be.

in Revenant

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

While I’m not going to argue that there’s a huge difference between a fresh rev and a rev who knows what he’s doing now, I’m going to completely disagree that they are the hardest class to play now.

Their damage got nerfed. Their 1v1 potential is significantly diminished (still possible). They’re teamfighters now and we still combined with the team do a great job of opening up bunkers like a tin can.

Rev is still seen in legend and plat quite often, and it will not be going anywhere. It’s just not 100% required now like it used to be.

Good answer. Rev still has the best AoE CC imo, especially since 2 of those (Jade Winds and SotM) are on low cooldowns. But as for damage, only the sword AA is still deadly. Its other means of dealing damage are just nothing special, they’re mostly a utility in teamfights rather than a damage dealer.

in Revenant

DarKNesS.3156

Ok thank you for the answers. What about pve though, high fractals and raids, is it even possible to join raids ever?

in Revenant

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

Ok thank you for the answers. What about pve though, high fractals and raids, is it even possible to join raids ever?

You can do Vale Guardian as a rev, but it’s not optimal and not recommended for the rest of the other raid bosses.

in Revenant

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

In regards to PvE…

Revs are fine for raids really. The nerf everyone talks about was Natural Resonance being reduced to 33% from 50%, which made the top raiding guilds rearrange their comps to the current dual class meta (2 mes, 2 ps, 2 druid, 4dps). And once the top guilds change, the rest of the community copies and the new meta is formed.

The thing is, nothing about a rev’s dps actually changed and the benchmark for rev is around 30k—about the same as a DH, but probably a little higher in practice as the rev dps rotation is super basic and impossible to mess up on. And while the new meta makes it hard to pug dps as a non, ele/thief/condi ranger, rev certainly isn’t terrible and can actually provide a lot of “secret utility” in the pug world as there’s a LOT of mesmers pugging without 100% boon duration, ps’s too cheap to buy dumplings, druids who fail at keeping up 100% fury, etc… Clever guilds can maybe even get more dps by building their group with a rev, letting their ps’s and mes’ use scholars.

All that said, if you’re gearing up now, and want to pug a lot… it’s probably just better to gear an ele or thief. I have a lot of trouble convincing pugs to let me use my rev unless it’s Trio and I can go solo mortars.

At least You can always just play your rev in tier 4’s where their utility makes them one of the best classes.

in Revenant

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

If you love it, play it. Don’t worry about what everyone says. I’ve tried playing a class I didn’t find as interesting or fun just because people wanted me to and I was pretty miserable doing it. Never again. :P

in Revenant

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

I like my rev too, till i start playing it. The idea is good, but the execution is abhorrent.

The developers are really doing a poor job.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Revenant

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Good answer. Rev still has the best AoE CC imo, especially since 2 of those (Jade Winds and SotM) are on low cooldowns. But as for damage, only the sword AA is still deadly. Its other means of dealing damage are just nothing special, they’re mostly a utility in teamfights rather than a damage dealer.

Debilitating Slam is another really powerful skill. I managed to down a DH with it when he had about two-thirds of his health left.

in Revenant

Posted by: Atticus.7194

Atticus.7194

It is, but generally speaking they just don’t really bring anything to the table that another class can’t bring more of and be better at.