My WvW Revenant Build

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

I’ve been running this build a lot recently and have had a ton of success with it in both roaming and group play.

http://asphyxia.tv/wvw-roaming-revenant-build/

More build details in the thread, also hours of footage on my twitch stream over the past few days of game play.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: PadreNike.1803

PadreNike.1803

Why are u running Mallyx when you have 0 condition damage?

Bhagawan
My YouTube
My Army

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: dardy.4571

dardy.4571

It’s probably for the condi resistances.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Vasdamas Anklast.1607

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

It’s probably for the condi resistances.

I think it’s that build they use for frontliners in blob fights.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

Mallyx for Resistance. With having 100% boon duration, I can use Pain Absorption from Mallyx and get 30+ seconds of resistance if I am condi bombed, then hit my Mallyx heal which heals for more when I have conditions on me then I get a big heal and a bunch of resistance lol.

In WvW, a lot of roamers are running Condi and I find myself getting massively condi bombed when I am playing with larger groups as well, so it is nice for me and my allies for me to pump out resistance so much.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Chill and Immobilize don’t effect you when you have resistance either which is a HUGE deal with so many rangers running that terrible immobilize.

Having 10-11 conditions on me in a big fight is a pretty frequent occurrence, and since I can use Pain Absorption 2-3 times in a row before I’m out of energy with 10 conditions on me, I get 20-30 seconds of resistance pretty easily since I get 1.5 seconds of self-resistance for each condition and 3 seconds just from using the skill. That also gives my allies 3 seconds of resistance every time I use it, which is always a welcomed boon on the battlefield.

For our 15 man group, we have 3-4 revenants all running this build and it works out very well as a mid line.

Also Banish Enchantment is a boon strip that removes 2 boons from 5 enemies, also nice to have on the field.

(edited by Josh XT.6053)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

agree mallyx is the way to go for roaming and zvz, the condi removal isn’t good enough to do it any other way.

I prefer the 2x stab trait, and more celestial for the hybrid condi/direct dmg, paired with shiro for the cc, teleport and stun break.

the biggest drawback of mallyx is vulnerability to boon stripping/stealing.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: GoblinKing.7183

GoblinKing.7183

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

I would like to use this build posted by Josh, as an opportunity to comment on the state of Revenant.

I don’t doubt this build is working better than most obvious ones, especially in terms of survivability versus conditions, but… don’t you see some issue here?

This build deals damage but it utilizes Mallyx and Glint legends, none of which specialize in direct damage output. On the contrary, you pick Mallyx solely for the survivability against condis and its a waste of the many and powerful condition Mallyx provides. Yet you pick Devastation traitline and not Corruption, which would hone even further your ability to deal with condis.

Some of you may ask… “its working, where’s the problem?”

And here is my point! The problem is that it doesn’t only works but it works better that the dedicated legend for direct damage… a simple example of the lackluster legends! Why pick Shiro if Josh’s build deals tons of damage and helps you with condis?

The build post above by GoblinKing is the current obvious choice for a DPS build but its cleanse potential (provided by Staff and Invocation’s minor trait) is simply lacking in the current environment where there is an abundance of many strong conditions.

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]

(edited by Ilias.8647)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: akaCryptic.2389

akaCryptic.2389

And here is my point! The problem is that it doesn’t only works but it works better that the dedicated legend for direct damage… a simple example of the lackluster legends! Why pick Shiro if Josh’s build deals tons of damage and helps you with condis?….

Why pick shiro? It’s a simple trade-off. Shiro provides better mobility, burst potential and kiting potential (better at roleplaying too :P). Mallyx is slow and has no stunbreaks but resistance is such a strong boon that in many cases its a fair trade-off.

Personally I dont use mallyx when roaming solo but if I’ll sometimes swap if Im with a +5 man group or dueling a condi build. No matter how lackluster you think they are, 4/5 legends see use in WvW and 3/5 in PvP. Now compare that to other professions utilities. Signet, arcane, conjure, glyph eles arent a thing are they?

(edited by akaCryptic.2389)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

I would like to use this build posted by Josh, as an opportunity to comment on the state of Revenant.

I don’t doubt this build is working better than most obvious ones, especially in terms of survivability versus conditions, but… don’t you see some issue here?

This build deals damage but it utilizes Mallyx and Glint legends, none of which specialize in direct damage output. On the contrary, you pick Mallyx solely for the survivability against condis and its a waste of the many and powerful condition Mallyx provides. Yet you pick Devastation traitline and not Corruption, which would hone even further your ability to deal with condis.

Some of you may ask… “its working, where’s the problem?”

And here is my point! The problem is that it doesn’t only works but it works better that the dedicated legend for direct damage… a simple example of the lackluster legends! Why pick Shiro if Josh’s build deals tons of damage and helps you with condis?

The build post above by GoblinKing is the current obvious choice for a DPS build but its cleanse potential (provided by Staff and Invocation’s minor trait) is simply lacking in the current environment where there is an abundance of many strong conditions.

The thing is, I’m not losing much damage by not taking shiro. I’m losing mobility for sure, quickness was nice to have from it but I’d rather have the resistance.

I’m better off with devastation than corruption for the damage bonus, corruption line is too centered around conditions which my build doesn’t do.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

Personally I dont use mallyx when roaming solo but if I’ll sometimes swap if Im with a +5 man group or dueling a condi build. No matter how lackluster you think they are, 4/5 legends see use in WvW and 3/5 in PvP. Now compare that to other professions utilities. Signet, arcane, conjure, glyph eles arent a thing are they?

Agreed!

At the current game state its more valuable to be able to deal with condis cause tons of condis fly around. The issue I recognize is that if you want to have some basic protection versus condis you are pigeonholed into Mallyx. Other legend that have the means to deal with condis are too sub-par.

Yeah, 4/5 legends see some use in WvW but are all possible combos viable? Nope. Why? Because some combos are simply too weak. All Rev builds for WvW includes Elite spec (herald) which also means there are serious problems with the legend design.

Since you can take 2 out of 5 legends and each one comes with fixed utility skill set, each legend must have a few means to deal with most situations. The way they made them makes several legend pairs to be completely lacking something significant thus casting them non-viable.

The fact you are forced to take Mallyx in order to have protection Vs condis is a fine example of what I (among others) am trying to say. Thats a design flaw that need to be addressed.

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]

(edited by Ilias.8647)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I run something like this for back/midline. I went shiro/staff though.

You run with boonshare mesmer?

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

When we have one I do lol. I prefer hammer over stuff because of the ranged AOE damage, and hammer 2 OP. I took mallyx over shiro for the resistance and boon stripping. It’s proved to be better for me.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

When we have one I do lol. I prefer hammer over stuff because of the ranged AOE damage, and hammer 2 OP. I took mallyx over shiro for the resistance and boon stripping. It’s proved to be better for me.

Oh yes I run hammer/staff.

I pretty much use staff for the heal/condi removal and a no root block. But I play it super glass ;-(

You went resistance, I went removal.
I’d never try to get in the frontline or I’d get my face melted though ;-(

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

I’ve been running this (just with cheaper food & utility) after boosting a Rev to see what the class is all about. Never been keen on root in place skills, and was wondering how well Staff would work here in place of Sword+ Shield.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

I’ve been running this (just with cheaper food & utility) after boosting a Rev to see what the class is all about. Never been keen on root in place skills, and was wondering how well Staff would work here in place of Sword+ Shield.

Staff works well as an alternative. I prefer sword/shield because the sword autos, sword 2 and sword 3 do a ton of damage quickly. The shield 4 giving protection and regen is great. Shield 5 rooting is pretty bad, I don’t like that, but it has saved me in fights where I got pushed on and had no other way out. It seems like the Guardian’s Shelter if it rooted you in place and healed for less.

I liked staff, but I still prefer the sword/shield. I’ve even considered playing with sword/sword for the pull but offhand sword seems more like a condi weapon.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Staff works well as an alternative. I prefer sword/shield because the sword autos, sword 2 and sword 3 do a ton of damage quickly. The shield 4 giving protection and regen is great. Shield 5 rooting is pretty bad, I don’t like that, but it has saved me in fights where I got pushed on and had no other way out. It seems like the Guardian’s Shelter if it rooted you in place and healed for less.

I liked staff, but I still prefer the sword/shield. I’ve even considered playing with sword/sword for the pull but offhand sword seems more like a condi weapon.

Sword offhand isn’t a condi weapon. It’s more of a control, power weapon. You’ve got a mobile block and an immobilize attack on 4. Then you have a Fury-giving, backwards shadowstep pull on 5, which needs some serious overhaul imo. Unless you consider immobilization and pulling a condi, there is no condi anywhere else on it.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

Sword offhand isn’t a condi weapon. It’s more of a control, power weapon. You’ve got a mobile block and an immobilize attack on 4. Then you have a Fury-giving, backwards shadowstep pull on 5, which needs some serious overhaul imo. Unless you consider immobilization and pulling a condi, there is no condi anywhere else on it.

I think I was mistaken with something else.. I thought it had torment on it. I might give the sword offhand another shot.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: serj.8214

serj.8214

I think I was mistaken with something else.. I thought it had torment on it. I might give the sword offhand another shot.

You were talking about sword while thinking of axe.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Sagramor.7395

Maybe if we all cross our fingers Shield #5 will get changed to a non-rooting ability. I did give Staff a try and I prefer Sword. I might try OH Sword though.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

serj.8214

Maybe if we all cross our fingers Shield #5 will get changed to a non-rooting ability. I did give Staff a try and I prefer Sword. I might try OH Sword though.

If we get nonroot #5 on shield it will be nerfed to the under ground lvl. So its better to keep it as it is.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Sagramor.7395

If we get nonroot #5 on shield it will be nerfed to the under ground lvl. So its better to keep it as it is.

On further consideration you’re probably right. I have a somewhat limited view which is probably coloring my opinion since I almost never PvE or PvP, and I don’t do much dueling in WvW. I mostly run small group roaming on up.

I played around with OH Sword last night and it has some perks. You lose the Healing an Protection of Shield, but the mobile block on a shorter CD and lower Energy cost is really nice. Haven’t had a chance to use Sword #4-2 yet since I mostly ended up blocking ranged attacks and field damage combined with the short range. Would be nice if range was 450 like Sword #2 & #3. Sword #5 feels like it would be good in niche situations, but need more time (or suggestions/recommendations) to figure out how best to utilize it.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

serj.8214

Sword #5 is a nice interrupt nothing more, for roam\spvp shield is better, if you want something agressive in OH axe would be better.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Sword #5 is a nice interrupt nothing more, for roam\spvp shield is better, if you want something agressive in OH axe would be better.

I disagree with what you say about Sw#5. Yes, it does interrupt, but it also helps you to setup a combo. If I’m running with a group or just a couple people, I use it to pull a target that’s trying to flee back to my friends. Other more useful times, setting up a UA attack. I sometimes use the combo of Sw#5, Sw#2, Sw#3, and it’s pretty effective. I’ll also use Sw#5 to combo with my utilities depending on which Legend I have up and if I have the energy.

This is all assuming you can actually connect with it! It seems to have a problem doing that often.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

I disagree with what you say about Sw#5. Yes, it does interrupt, but it also helps you to setup a combo. If I’m running with a group or just a couple people, I use it to pull a target that’s trying to flee back to my friends. Other more useful times, setting up a UA attack. I sometimes use the combo of Sw#5, Sw#2, Sw#3, and it’s pretty effective. I’ll also use Sw#5 to combo with my utilities depending on which Legend I have up and if I have the energy.

This is all assuming you can actually connect with it! It seems to have a problem doing that often.

Any timps on how to increase my chances of landing sw #5 in PvP?Besides imobilizing them with sword 4, I mean

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Thon.3780

Thon.3780

I think we miss lead. Josh ’s build is mid field for group. For Kai and Jack, I think depend on case. if yr style is pull and kill sw 5+2+3 are good ( pull to center). or lock till group arrive sw4+4+2(lock and chill).

fmo I wonder why Josh use sw/sh , not m/sh coz thier his build set for mid-field. mace may lost evade skill( sw3) but can support group damage from mid range and combo field.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

I think we miss lead. Josh ’s build is mid field for group. For Kai and Jack, I think depend on case. if yr style is pull and kill sw 5+2+3 are good ( pull to center). or lock till group arrive sw4+4+2(lock and chill).

fmo I wonder why Josh use sw/sh , not m/sh coz thier his build set for mid-field. mace may lost evade skill( sw3) but can support group damage from mid range and combo field.

I run my build midline for group play as well as small man roaming play (5 or less people generally.)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

Also the person who said I was thinking about axe offhand was correct. I did try out sword offhand a bit over the past few days and I didn’t really like it as much as I liked shield offhand. Both are perfectly viable for roaming, I would say shield is better for larger group play but sword may be better for roaming.

I think I’ll stick with shield offhand personally, might switch it up ever once in awhile. I do like the pull and the immobilize that are on it.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

my opinions about shield, axe, sword off hand

shield – cost more nrg, longer cd, root in place, but more defense with healing and protection. so overall the root is it main disadvantage
axe – pure offense with teleport and good dmg, no defense at all
sword – good dmg combine with good block. sync very well with main hand sword combo

so my choice for wvw is sword. for pvp depends if you more roaminng or group lay as if you root in place and your team dont come to help you good as dead.

combo with sword

use shiro and PT to be in melee range when you see attack coming block it with #4 dont immobilize yet rather use #5 to pull it especially if he is attacking you. now after the pull immobilize with #4 again and use #2 and #3 fast (prefer with ED for greater dmg)

this is the full combo.
you can drop using #4 if you see the enemy used his 2-3 dodges
w8 with #5 pull for longer skills activation or when the enemy just AA.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

serj.8214

shield – cost more nrg, longer cd, root in place, but more defense with healing and protection. so overall the root is it main disadvantage
sword – good dmg combine with good block. sync very well with main hand sword combo

so my choice for wvw is sword. for pvp depends if you more roaminng or group lay as if you root in place and your team dont come to help you good as dead.

combo with sword

use shiro and PT to be in melee range when you see attack coming block it with #4 dont immobilize yet rather use #5 to pull it especially if he is attacking you. now after the pull immobilize with #4 again and use #2 and #3 fast (prefer with ED for greater dmg)

this is the full combo.

Good combo may be but just 1 problem energy)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

combo with sword

this is the full combo.

Good combo may be but just 1 problem energy)

only 55 energy full combo and if you block the full duration its about 50 and evade fram also bring back some nrg . also i try always to build nrg before i burst

(edited by messiah.1908)

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

Josh’s build looks good and I might try it. One question I have is how you deal with running – without Shiro, you won’t be able to run very well if things go badly. Mallyx does have the jump skill, but IMO it isn’t enough to get away from very fast runners (thieves, warriors, druids, etc) even when paired with other mobility/blocks such as staff 5.

My WvW Revenant Build

in Revenant

Josh XT.6053

Josh’s build looks good and I might try it. One question I have is how you deal with running – without Shiro, you won’t be able to run very well if things go badly. Mallyx does have the jump skill, but IMO it isn’t enough to get away from very fast runners (thieves, warriors, druids, etc) even when paired with other mobility/blocks such as staff 5.

Short answer is that I just don’t run well lol.

Longer answer is that I sacrificed mobility for survivability. More often than not, I don’t have to run unless I’m about to get blobbed down and even then, if I don’t have a target with shiro, I can’t run well anyway. Since ANet removed a lot of the PvE mobs in WvW, that skill doesn’t seem as great to me. It is fantastic for CATCHING someone, but I don’t think it is really great for running away, especially since they recently nurfed it to cost 35 energy instead of 20 (i think) like it was.