Newbie Rev wondering about solo content!

in Revenant

Posted by: Dezember.1295

Dezember.1295

Hi there, I just started my first rev yesterday and I found them to be an amazing lot of fun… Until I actually started picking fights with veterans. I am fresh from ranger atm, so obviously I am spoiled by having a pet tanking for me – but I feel so incredibly squishy to the point where I just avoid fighting veterans.
I made my rev for PvP purposes, but I was hoping that they’d be fun / strong in solo content aswell. I have no idea what they’ll be like at level 80, which is why am asking…
1. Does rev do well in Maguuma content by themselves?
2. Would you recommend regular zerker setup for map exploring?
3. Which weapons / stances would you use? I was thinking of basically running my PvP setup with full zerk S/S and something… With dragon (once I reach herald) and assassin stance.

All tips are welcome, and all replies appreciated.

in Revenant

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

3. Which weapons / stances would you use? I was thinking of basically running my PvP setup with full zerk S/S and something… With dragon (once I reach herald) and assassin stance.

1) I can fight up to six foes at the same time in the Dragon Stand map (they usually patrol in groups of three) and win if I play well my cards, despite Rev isn’t the king of AoE. On the other hand, making mistakes can lead to a fast death if you’re so outnumbered. But overall, once you known the mechanics you can do well.

2) Zerker in PvE can work fine due our sustain is great, and is the best choice for fractals and raids, albeit I do use marauder armor stats for WvW.

3) For power builds I use Glint & Shiro, Herald and Devastation traitlines with either Invocation or Retribution as the third one. In most of PvE situations the best weapon combos are either sword + axe + staff or sword + shield + staff, but for open areas or against very specific bosses you can replace staff with hammer for a more safe approach. That’s for power builds, condition Rev is a very different beast -I’m just starting with so I will not give advice about at this moment).

in Revenant

Posted by: Dezember.1295

Dezember.1295

Alright! Cheers for your reply. :]

in Revenant

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

FWIW, I found that shiro revenant (during levelling) was incredibly squishy, and the healing daggers thing not very good. It improves when you can start to trait, eg, life steal on sword, but … still poor.

Switching to another legend for better healing (and spinning hammers on dwarf) can be a huge boost to your not dying early on.

When you get the herald elite, it’s a whole different ballgame, but self-healing can really feel patchy before that. It’s also worth having a hammer on hand while levelling because kite and hit at range can be useful while, eg, waiting for healing CD to come up, etc.

Also, don’t forget that legend switch gives a second healing skill that doesn’t share a cooldown, so you can do two healing things back to back if you must…

in Revenant

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

All tips are welcome, and all replies appreciated.

1- Yes it do well. There is no content that the rev can’t bit by himself by my knowledge. Though you may struggle against some of the most boring champions (the leechs hero points)

2- From my experience, even if you stack defensive stats it does little to nothing for you in the end. So yeah, any offensive gear setup is good.

3- Personnally i’m used to use an hybrid setup with both condi and power damage but for my leveling in the heart of maguma I was in zerk and the setup i liked the most was Mace/Sword with jalis/mallyx. The dragon traitline is usefull for it’s doubletaped F2 while solo but that’s all. (Note that I don’t use sword main hand because I just don’t like how it work. If you are used to it thanks to overuse in PvP it might be better for you to use it)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.