Next elite spec.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Here is an Iconic Image of a Ritualist. What does that Look like to you? more like a Reveant or more like a Necromancer? I think the answer is very clear here. Look at the coloring. Look at its Spectral skull showing that its a death worshipper much like the necromancer is.

Jalis wasn’t a Ritualist. Neither were Shiro, Ventari, Mallyx or Glint. What is your point?

The image is to convey a theme that the ritualist was hitting. It is a death mage. Its all there, Black and white, clear as crystal. To assume otherwise means you’re not looking. The lore of the ritualist is very clear that they use the dead to power themselves. You know who else does that? Necromancer. It only makes sense that the ritualist would merge into the necromancer who is a death mage already.

Oh ya the original topic. I kinda went off a different path and suggested something more in tune with the story, that’s all.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Mmmm. So much good stuff.

Practitioners of the dark arts, necromancers summon the dead, wield the power of lost souls, and literally suck the life force from the enemy. Necromancers feed on life force, which they can use to bring allies back from the brink or cheat death itself.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Lily while you are right that about the fact that ritualist could be a good elite spec for necros i disagree that ritualists wouldnt work with revenants. The legend channeling alone theoretically allows revenant to become any of the old gw1 professions as long as they find a legend that imbodies said profession. So for example if a new elite spec of revenants had master togo as legend it is totally plausible that such a elite spec to have binding rituals (aka spirits) or any other ritualist specific skills.

Also lorewise revenants are closely related to the mist (like ritualists are), which amoung many things also includes the realms of the dead (Underworld etc.). So there are relations to the dead, souls etc. Heck a Revenant literally is someone that died (in our case gone to the mists) and come back.

Well ether way i hope as a ritualist main in gw1 we get a elite spec that feels like gw1 ritualist be it on necros or on revenants (i play both so i am fine ether way).

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Lily while you are right that about the fact that ritualist could be a good elite spec for necros i disagree that ritualists wouldnt work with revenants. The legend channeling alone theoretically allows revenant to become any of the old gw1 professions as long as they find a legend that imbodies said profession. So for example if a new elite spec of revenants had master togo as legend it is totally plausible that such a elite spec to have binding rituals (aka spirits) or any other ritualist specific skills.

Also lorewise revenants are closely related to the mist (like ritualists are), which amoung many things also includes the realms of the dead (Underworld etc.). So there are relations to the dead, souls etc. Heck a Revenant literally is someone that died (in our case gone to the mists) and come back.

Well ether way i hope as a ritualist main in gw1 we get a elite spec that feels like gw1 ritualist be it on necros or on revenants (i play both so i am fine ether way).

I play both Necromancer and revenant as well. I enjoy revenant and my thing is that I’d rather see something unique with its next elite spec. I see with the way the Revenant is set up they could embody the Shatter enchantments that the dervish used in GW1. Since they spend energy an elite specialization that could gain energy back through skills or through traits that also use similar abilities to the Avatars would be interesting.

One thought I had for Revenant was calling Asgeir Dragonrender and gaining 4 new utility skills called totems that allowed the hero to channel aspects of the norn’s primary 4 spirit animals. Though functioning more like the Avatars that you can only toggle 1 at a time and each of them gives you a boon at the cost of some of your energy regen.

Or even the Khan Ur from the charr. I personally feel that the revenant should represent each of the 5 races. So far we have a human. Shiro. And not only that, he’s from Cantha.

I’ve been working on my own take on the Ritualist elite specialization for the necromancer. The major problem with the Reveant is that it doesn’t provide enough. Not with a weapon and utility skills. A necromancer with a shroud, utility skills and a weapon does. Suddenly the shroud becomes more supportive. An easy fit. They get 4 utility skills allowing for 2 defensive and 2 offensive spirits.

Ritualist was in my top 3 professions for GW1. And If you did main a ritualist you understand that the ritualist has 3 builds that really defined who they where. They had secondary builds that where popular in some areas but they didn’t make you think ritualist.

Their Primary builds where:

Spirit Spammer: Highly offensive build, using spirits to body block and antagonize foes. This is one I think the Revenant could accomplish considering it wouldn’t be very hard to do. Notable skills are pain, Signet of spirits, Bloodsong and vampirism. Others where used though those where the primary. Some spammers used Wonderlust if another spammer was in the party already. (For those reading, back in GW1 you couldn’t have multiple versions of the same spirit summoned at the same time. Regardless of who summoned it.)

Protective spirits: I don’t know what everyone else called this, but it was an extremely powerful build. More powerful than the spammer builds IMO but was a bit more difficult to use. This used skills like Shelter, displacement and Union to effectively prevent your allies from taking any real damage. Reducing damage to easily manageable levels. Though it was extremely powerful in GW1 it would be too good in GW2 and absolutely would have to be toned down. Though having 2 defensive spirits would at least make this style possible. Having just one which is what you’d get on revenant would make this far worse.

Restoration Healer: This is something that would need to be touched on as well. The ritualist was a dedicated support and healer profession. Although this build was less wanted due to how much better the monk was at healing and even the necromancer healed using ritualist skills better than the ritualist this isn’t something that should be over looked. Any elite spec that wants to work with ritualist absolutely has to have a dedicated healer option otherwise it wont be ritualist.

Secondary builds the ritualist where known for:

Minion Bomber: They gained a unique take on the minion master build that the necromancer couldn’t do. Gaining a boon for summoning minions such as damage, energy and healing. This is an aspect of the ritualist I really miss considering it was the most fun I personally had with a minion master build.

Urn Nuker: This style of build was mostly popular in DoA(Domain of Anguish). It used urn cycling to cause massive damage to foes around you. The necromancer actually kinda does this already. Though rather poorly. It was nicknamed shroud dancing that triggers added bursts of damage when entering shroud. Its the same idea though ultimately not nearly as good.

Spirit’s Strength: This build enchanted the user’s weapon to gain massive bonus damage while wielding a weapon the Ritualist otherwise wouldn’t use. Mostly popular in small scale PvP battles this build honestly doesn’t have much of a place in GW2 considering the point of the build seemed to be making a caster into a competitive martial profession. Which all casters can do anyway.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Muchacho.2390

Well since you list those kind of play styles i guess you were a mainly a pve player? Ahh well that not important.

Anyways i see why you want ritualist rather on necro then on revenant but honestly i kinda hoped ritualist would be its own profession in gw2 instead of an elite spec but sadly that not gonna happen…

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Well since you list those kind of play styles i guess you were a mainly a pve player? Ahh well that not important.

Anyways i see why you want ritualist rather on necro then on revenant but honestly i kinda hoped ritualist would be its own profession in gw2 instead of an elite spec but sadly that not gonna happen…

I’d have preferred that as well. But we got to work with what we’ve got…. Funny story. When Arena net stated that Marjory was going to become the necromancer’s elite specialization I was convinced that it was going to be Ritualist.

She’s got all the signs… Binding her sister to her blade, She’s a detective that communes with spirits, she’s Canthan, even down to the coloration of her armor which had turquoise in it. And don’t think that last one doesn’t count. As a writer myself I do really subtle hints like that all the time, and so do other writers I know. So when it was revealed to be reaper, I was genuinely confused.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

The lore of the ritualist is very clear that they use the dead to power themselves. You know who else does that? Necromancer. It only makes sense that the ritualist would merge into the necromancer who is a death mage already.

You talk about the lore of the ritualist?

Ok, back in GW1 what was a ritualist? Ritualist came with cantha. They were a very important part of the cultural background of the canthian empire. Ritualist were a kind of “priest” in what one would call a cult of the ancestors. Ritualist were the link between the spirit world and the mortal world. The emperor rely a lot on the ritualist for one an one thing : seek the advice of the ancestors. Ritualists were medium/servant that were cummuning with the spirit world to find the spirit seeked and then channeling this spirit so that it’s advice could be heard. They were scholars, adept of history.

My major issue with your vision is that you absolutely want to put this kind of mindset onto the necromancer. A necromancer only seek death since Guild wars 1. The necromancer seek power for himself and is do it by any mean. He first learn to feed on life force (which was traduced in GW1 by a mean to resplenish it’s mana). In GW2 the Necromancers have already taken another step forward in their relentless studies of death (and not the dead) and that is the shroud. The shroud is a mean that allow the necromancer to walk on the edge of death itself. In shroud they are neither alive nor dead, they thread the path of something that is beyond death itself.

The revenant in GW2 thread the path of history. They communy with spirit of the past. They channel spirit of the path and are a medium that allow the power of those spirit to remain in the mortal world. They let lose the desir of destruction of spirit that want destruction like shiro or mallyx. They allow spirit like Ventarii to extend their benevolence toward the world. They satisfy the will of the ageless dragon brill by channeling it’s power that radiate against the primordial dragon. They are the “voice” of those spirits that still want to show their will to the world. They convey the message.

It really irk me to no end that you want to associate the ritualist to the necromancer, not because their practice domain are far away from each other but because the way a necromancer and a ritualist think is fondamentally different and can’t possibly blend. Ritualist are servant/slave of their country, Necromancers would never step down to a lowly position like this. A necromancer will always pursue it’s thirst for power, it’s will to blend with death itself, but a necromancer would never ever become a tool to allow other people or spirit to express themself. That would be like spiting on their very true self.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Muchacho.2390

Dadnir you do know that Lily is citing the gw1 manuals? So how it that not the lore of the professions?

Honeslty you make wrong assumptions. Only because what you say is true for a big number of (human) ritualists and necromancers it doesnt mean that the professions themself are defined by it.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

The lore of the ritualist is very clear that they use the dead to power themselves. You know who else does that? Necromancer. It only makes sense that the ritualist would merge into the necromancer who is a death mage already.

You talk about the lore of the ritualist?

Ok, back in GW1 what was a ritualist? Ritualist came with cantha. They were a very important part of the cultural background of the canthian empire. Ritualist were a kind of “priest” in what one would call a cult of the ancestors. Ritualist were the link between the spirit world and the mortal world. The emperor rely a lot on the ritualist for one an one thing : seek the advice of the ancestors. Ritualists were medium/servant that were cummuning with the spirit world to find the spirit seeked and then channeling this spirit so that it’s advice could be heard. They were scholars, adept of history.

My major issue with your vision is that you absolutely want to put this kind of mindset onto the necromancer. A necromancer only seek death since Guild wars 1. The necromancer seek power for himself and is do it by any mean. He first learn to feed on life force (which was traduced in GW1 by a mean to resplenish it’s mana). In GW2 the Necromancers have already taken another step forward in their relentless studies of death (and not the dead) and that is the shroud. The shroud is a mean that allow the necromancer to walk on the edge of death itself. In shroud they are neither alive nor dead, they thread the path of something that is beyond death itself.

The revenant in GW2 thread the path of history. They communy with spirit of the past. They channel spirit of the path and are a medium that allow the power of those spirit to remain in the mortal world. They let lose the desir of destruction of spirit that want destruction like shiro or mallyx. They allow spirit like Ventarii to extend their benevolence toward the world. They satisfy the will of the ageless dragon brill by channeling it’s power that radiate against the primordial dragon. They are the “voice” of those spirits that still want to show their will to the world. They convey the message.

It really irk me to no end that you want to associate the ritualist to the necromancer, not because their practice domain are far away from each other but because the way a necromancer and a ritualist think is fondamentally different and can’t possibly blend. Ritualist are servant/slave of their country, Necromancers would never step down to a lowly position like this. A necromancer will always pursue it’s thirst for power, it’s will to blend with death itself, but a necromancer would never ever become a tool to allow other people or spirit to express themself. That would be like spiting on their very true self.

You make a lot of assumptions about necromancers. Although it is common that necromancers tend to seek power it isn’t always for selfish reasons. And many times they aren’t any more power hungry than any other magic user. Marjory is an excelent example of this. She’s a member of the Durmand Priory. A knowledge seeker, someone who enjoys information. She conjures spirits of the dead in order to aid her in her investigations. She is after all a detective.

But what you’re saying is completely false. The Ritualist IS a lot like the necromancer in its philosophy. Both professions are known to be Followers of Grenth on the human side of this. Though the Ritualist is primarily a Canthan profession, they are often Priests, but almost always Priests of Grenth. However, to assume that the necromancer never become priests is just not at all true. Many Priests of Grenth are in fact necromancers. Outside of Cantha is is far more common for Priests of grenth to be necromancer over any other profession.

But to show even further that their Philosophy would be similar we must look at the god they both worship. I’m using humans in this example because Ritualists are primarily a human profession though there is nothing in the lore stating that their teachings couldn’t bleed over into other races.

Came then Desmina, scorned and exiled by her people. And in her misery and wretchedness, did Desmina curse the gods for abandoning all who, like her, admired power and ambition.
And asketh she, “Where is the god to whom I may give my undying devotion? Where is the god to whom I may beg revenge against those who scorn me?”
And rumbled then the earth from far below, and with a terrible groan, split open. The ground grew white with frost and ice, and from forth the frozen earth spilled the rotted, skeletal minions of Grenth.
Appeared then the god, and with bony hands outstretched, welcomed the girl into His fold. Saith he, “I am your god. Follow where I lead, come whence I call, and the rotted corpses of the dead will be yours to control.” And swearing allegiance in life and beyond, did Desmina thence become the god’s first follower.

— Scriptures of Grenth, 48 BE

Do note that both Ritualists and Necromancers almost exclusively worship grenth. I say almost because there are a few exceptions to that rule. Some ritualists and some necromancers DON’T worship Grenth.

A quote form the wiki. Grenth is the God of Death and Ice. He is the patron god of Assassins, Water Elementalists, Necromancers, and Ritualists, and is linked to the Season of the Colossus in the Elonian calendar.

Even going so far as to examine what the ritualists own text says about them. They are ambitious. They do crave power for the most part. The Ritualist can also use the remains of the dead to defend the living-not by reanimating corpses as a Necromancer would, but through the ritual use of urns and ashes. Where the Ranger lives as one with the spirit world, the Ritualist can and will be its master.

Look at the key word there. MASTER! That isn’t some profession asking permission or borrowing power. They are actively trying to enslave the spirits, warping them to their will. To even show just how cruel the ritualist actually is the spirits they summon often suffer greatly because of the ritualist. Physically writhing in agony or chained to the ground.

If anything the ritualist is WORSE than the necromancer. The necromancer will take pain onto herself. She’ll physically harm herself to aid her allies. The Ritualist might do that sometimes, though they prefer to have other allies they see as less valuable suffer that pain FOR THEM!

Now I know this next part is nit picking. But it must be mentioned. Channel legendary powers to slaughter foes and unleash chaos on the battlefield with our brand new profession: the revenant. Enter the field of battle heavily armored and equipped with the otherworldly powers of the Mists.

First things first. We have to understand the the mists is not synonymous with after life. Everything is in the mists. Otherworldy just means someone or something not of Tyria. The Underworld is part of the mists but so is Tyria, the Fractals, where ever the Mursaat went, the God’s realm and even the Human’s home world. There magic is extremely broad in terms of what that could mean. Its not so specific to Death and spirits that Both the Necromancer and ritualist have in their descriptions. Although at this point the Revenant has only channeled Legendary spirits of the mists there is absolutely nothing in the lore that would suggest that that is all they’re limited to. But aside from that we don’t know a whole lot about the Revenant. What we do know about it is that they seem limited by their magic to only channeling Legends. And each legend they channel takes up residence in the revenant’s body. Something ritualists absolutely did not do, nor would they desire to considering how they treat spirits.

What the lore Suggests and what you think are completely different. There has been a rivalry between the Necromancer and the Ritualist back in GW1. It was a rivalry because they where so similar in how they worked their magic and how similar their method for worship was. Its their minor differences which cause them to get disgusted with each other. But necromancers of modern tyria aren’t so religious and ritualists wouldn’t be as religious either. Once their religion is taken out of the equation there is absolutely no reason to believe they wouldn’t see common ground and begin to share magic. There is absolutely no reason to believe that a necromancer would refuse to Lean Ritualist teachings.

The Revenant has either a Strong alliance with the legends they channel or a reluctant one. But they are absolutely not torturing them. The Ritualist isn’t interested in allies from another world. They’re interested in slaves.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Dadnir you do know that Lily is citing the gw1 manuals? So how it that not the lore of the professions?

Lore has been changed and retconned since GW1. Not all lore will stay pristine.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Lore has been changed and retconned since GW1. Not all lore will stay pristine.

Lore on the ritualist and necromancer has not been changed.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Dadnir.5038

Both professions are known to be Followers of Grenth on the human side of this.

The Ritualists are one of the oldest known professions on Tyria. Being unique to Cantha, they have existed long before the Exodus and the gods granting magic to the races.
Official wiki.

Ritualist were a kind of “priest” in what one would call a cult of the ancestors. Ritualist were the link between the spirit world and the mortal world.

They relied upon the strength and wisdom granted to them by their powerful ancestors whom maintained a connection to their descendants.
Official wiki.

Ritualists are masters of spirits, able to call upon them in battle for aid.
Official wiki.

-> for me it mean that Ritualist are master at the use of spirit and that they call upon them to help them when they are in need.

One who has learned to draw power from the blood sacrifice and communion with death, the Necromancer uses black magic to cast curses and raise undead minions.

A necromancer only seek death since Guild wars 1.

My point saying that necromancer seek death not dead. While ritualist deal with the dead, not death itself. Beside, and here I answer to you Muchacho, anyone have it’s own understanding of what’s writen. It’s just that some focus on some points and other focus on other points. In GW I loved playing ritualist and necromancer, but for me it’s a matter of mentality, the necromancer and the ritualist are way to different. In the end this is why Lily and me can’t agree with each other. Lily think that the necromancer and the ritualist are alike while I see the ritualist as someone that have profound respect for the dead, their ancestors, while the necromancer is someone that use the remnant of the dead body as tool and food. Grenth as nothing to do with anything in this, as far as grenth go he cover the magic of death and Ice as a human god.

Something interesting as well and worth noting (and that can work in favor of my opinion) is that the magic of the ritualist is a magic that evolve :

When magic was granted by the gods, many of the original abilities were strengthened and merged into their modern form. Though still relying on the power of the dead, their original skills are no longer a visible part of the profession.
Official wiki.

Which mean that this “magic” is a magic that try to tend to a form which would become optimal and the revenant system feel like a new step for this magic.

NB.: As far as things are, revenant are relying on dead ability. There isn’t even one of the legend that ain’t dead yet. Even lazarus, I’m pretty sure he got his kitten kicked back then in GW.

Silly edit : I dare anyone to say that necromancer’s minion have soul in GW2. I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only one that saw my minion looking at me with void in their eyes while someone was vigorously trashing me.

(edited by Dadnir.5038)

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

The Ritualists are one of the oldest known professions on Tyria. Being unique to Cantha, they have existed long before the Exodus and the gods granting magic to the races.
Official wiki.

You do realize that the Human race worshiped the human gods long before the exodus right? In fact, the Gods brought the humans to Tyria. And not only that but its implied that Grenth rose to power before humans where brought to tyria. The history on that is a bit sketchy admittedly, they say Grenth is half human, but that’s honestly besides the point. And not actually proven.

However we do know that the Ritualists have through out most if not their entire existence worshiped grenth.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Dadnir.5038

Official wiki.

You do realize that the Human race worshiped the human gods long before the exodus right? In fact, the Gods brought the humans to Tyria. And not only that but its implied that Grenth rose to power before humans where brought to tyria. The history on that is a bit sketchy admittedly, they say Grenth is half human, but that’s honestly besides the point. And not actually proven.

However we do know that the Ritualists have through out most if not their entire existence worshiped grenth.

Asuras, norns, charrs, sylvarii… None of them worship grenth in any way yet they were being necromancers far before they start to recognize each other. Fondamentally, bringing up grenth as a link between necromancer and ritualist is just no-sense. Human assassin worship grenth, human water elementalist worship grenth… Whatever human killing and using ice worship grenth. It’s just the human pantheon. Like norns worship all of their sacred totem even if they have a special affinity with a specific one.

When you create a human character you can even chose which god you worship and there is absolutely no class restriction (nor do you gain any insight or strenght from doing so). You just can’t bring grenth as a significative point in your speech.

Beside, and that’s very a tricky point from me, we can assume that some of the lore schematic take some root from our irl lore. And, long human start even believing in gods they were already giving respect to their ancestors and their dead. Humankind start believing in their own kind long before they find the need to believe in something beyond. But that’s another philosophical subject here.

(edited by Dadnir.5038)

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Official wiki.

Asuras, norns, charrs, sylvarii… None of them worship grenth in any way yet they were being necromancers far before they start to recognize each other. Fondamentally, bringing up grenth as a link between necromancer and ritualist is just no-sense. Human assassin worship grenth, human water elementalist worship grenth… Whatever human killing and using ice worship grenth. It’s just the human pantheon. Like norns worship all of their sacred totem even if they have a special affinity with a specific one.

When you create a human character you can even chose which god you worship and there is absolutely no class restriction (nor do you gain any insight or strenght from doing so). You just can’t bring grenth as a significative point in your speech.

Beside, and that’s very a tricky point from me, we can assume that some of the lore schematic take some root from our irl lore. And, long human start even believing in gods they were already giving respect to their ancestors and their dead. Humankind start believing in their own kind long before they find the need to believe in something beyond. But that’s another philosophical subject here.

We don’t have history from the humans for the time before their gods. Not on tyria at least. And that’s wild WILD speculation on your part. The gods brought humans to tyria. Thats a fact we do know. We don’t know how, or from where. We know that the humans first KNOWN settlement was in Cantha. Reason I say known is because its very possible there is an earlier one. So we also know that 6 gods where worshiped during this early time in human history.

Wherever they originated, humans are not native to the world as they were brought there by the Six Gods. The gods themselves only predate humans by a short period of time -GW1 wiki

The human races always had their gods. This isn’t debatable. This is history. I know some people want to quote that Jotun in Hoelbrak as disproving this fact, however scholars in game from the Priory don’t agree with his warped history.

Also we have to remember that Ritualists where Primarily a human profession. Almost exclusively. There was maybe one ritualist norn from both GW1 & 2 combine, NO asura Ritualists, NO Sylvari ritualists and only a few random Charr Ritualists. The Bulk of their culture is in fact human, a fact I didn’t disagree with you earlier though now you switch your side suddenly which is questioning. It seems you don’t want to believe that the necromancer would be a better fit for ritualist for some strange reason.

Sure, ritualist teachings can bleed into other cultures. And we’ve seen that with some professions such as Engineer and Guardian. However if we are going to look at the history of a profession we have to look at its origins.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Dadnir.5038

Well, I already gave you my reason : It’s mentality. Necromancer’s and ritualist’s mentality does not suit each other.

And I also said that revenant and ritualist were alike in a lot of way.

Also, because I love to have wild guess and I love to see a different meaning in what we read :

Wherever they originated, humans are not native to the world as they were brought there by the Six Gods. The gods themselves only predate humans by a short period of time
-GW1 wiki

While you read it as a fact that gods existed shortly before human, I read it as “Gods arrive to the world shortly before they brought human there.” Which would be a logical feat since someone/something had to bring human to the world. From this point, everything can be guessed.

I want to believe that human grew somewhere else. In the meantime of their growth they were lead by differents characters, encounter differents situations, foes. Everything add to a form of culture and led to the genesis of the ritualist. The ritualist by linking the mortal world to the “spirit world” give answer to the people that long to a lost parent or to people that search for the guidance of a dead leader or even dead ennemy (because we can learn from ennemy). As this link/profession appear, people start to rely more and more of this “spiritual” guidance.

As the time pass, countless strongwilled being left there imprint on the original home of the human and on the mist that surround it. Some of these imprint fade away, other merge and new imprints appear from time to time. From the merging will imprints what we call “gods” appear. And then in a time of need these gods are thought for. The original home of the human is threaten and they need to be saved. (We could guess that a strong negative will maybe Abbadon did the unthinkable and achieve it’s goal in this place). Whatever, at this point the gods, looked through the mist to save their follower and found the actual world of GW. They then reach this world, prepare the place and start to transfer human there thanks to the abundant magic of this world.

At this moment, there is probably tons of hardship that await both humans and these gods, but the gods grow accustomed to the use of the magic of this world and then chose to bestow it to the chosen one which have the suitable affinity with them. This is then the genesis of the humans professions. On the other hand, other races native of this world probably already achieved what the human race achieve at this moment but through a different medium (we can expect these native race to have a natural bond to the magic of the world).

At the moment the god start to bestow magic to the humans it’s a revolution for the primitive ritualists. Most of them probably became priest, some become dervich abiding to all the god and a few continue to follow the old path and still serve as medium between the spirit world and the mortal world for the sake of the old tradition and in respect of their wow to the leading figure of the human, the emperor of cantha. Here they are the guardian of the spirit of the humans ancestors. At this point, thank to the magic of the world they slowly create a magic that fit their role and aptitude in the society. (This is my take to what lead the primitive ritualist to what they were in GW1)

After that time pass and the ability to “feel” the will imprints on the mist slowly rose again as the different races start to explore the mist (WvW, fractal…) and surge of chaos rose inside the ley line. (we could say that the magic that destroy ascalon as well as the magic that destroyed Orr held up a major role in these disturbance. And the awakening of the dragons didn’t eased up the disturbance). These wills, may be not as strong as the divinity but start to reach the mortal over and over until rythlock jump into the mist to retrieve it’s blade.

There, in the mist, in a place nearer to these will rytlock reach the will of Brill that give him the chance to act as a medium for her will to reach the mortal. Rytlock knowing the strenght of brill agree and create what we call the revenant (more specifically the Herald). In the process of the creation he also reached some strong echoes from the past that became the revenant’s core legend.

The revenant is the ritualist 3.0.

NB.: I strongly disagree with you about the engineer. Engi have nothing of the ritualist except maybe shallow similarity in fighting style when they play with turret. Fighting style is not what define a profession, It’s the way the professions use it’s “supply” and the overall mentality of the profession that matter.

(edited by Dadnir.5038)

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

The Engineer with turrets was specifically said to have been inspired by Ritualists during development, so there’s that. Revenant was also stated to be inspired by Ritualists during its reveal. Ritualist was stated to be similar to Necromancer during its reveal however long ago.

Of all the possibilities, I’d rather have Revenant get a Ritualist-themed Espec. But, its not like anything is impossible when Anet controls their own lore.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Of all the possibilities, I’d rather have Revenant get a Ritualist-themed Espec. But, its not like anything is impossible when Anet controls their own lore.

See, this confuses me because you’re basically asking the revenant to be a pure support profession. And its not like it’d be favored over Druid or the revenant’s own Herald elite spec.

The tools needed to fill out the ritualist completely are already on the necromancer. The Revenant would have to jump through major hoops, completely revamp its entire play style and it’d still feel extraordinarily clunky.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

All of that is just opinions. A Revenant could easily channel Master Togo and have 6 Spirits (Turrets), Ashes (Bundles), or Spirit Weapons (Venoms) and each of those options could play wildly different than Herald or Ventari. And, they aren’t even relegated to be support oriented. Each of those concepts, plus many others, could very well be damage or control based. There are a variety of ways it could be designed and done well.

Especially the offensive Spirit Spammer. That’s something I can envision being accomplished by the Revenant. Your utility slots can be any combination of Pain, Shadowsong, Vampirism, Signet of Spirits, or any other damaging spirit. Unlike engi turrets and their boons/reflection, the spirits might be focused on providing debilitating conditions like immobilize or dazes. They might also have a flip skill to Rupture Soul, mimicking the turret detonation. Your heal can be Consume Soul or Spirit Transfer, and your elite could be Summon Spirits or Signet of Ghostly Might. You could have traits that replicate Spirit’s Gift and Explosive Growth. You might also have traits that affect Spirits, like Spiritleech Aura or Armor of Unfeeling.

All of the above is, at worst, easily translatable to GW2 mechanics. It would fit aesthetically, bring a new playstyle mechanically, and could definitely be a joy to play. It wouldn’t be any more hoops than what Engi had to jump through for Gyros, or Warrior justifying a second set of physical skills.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

All of that is just opinions. A Revenant could easily channel Master Togo and have 6 Spirits (Turrets), Ashes (Bundles), or Spirit Weapons (Venoms) and each of those options could play wildly different than Herald or Ventari. And, they aren’t even relegated to be support oriented. Each of those concepts, plus many others, could very well be damage or control based. There are a variety of ways it could be designed and done well.

Especially the offensive Spirit Spammer. That’s something I can envision being accomplished by the Revenant. Your utility slots can be any combination of Pain, Shadowsong, Vampirism, Signet of Spirits, or any other damaging spirit. Unlike engi turrets and their boons/reflection, the spirits might be focused on providing debilitating conditions like immobilize or dazes. They might also have a flip skill to Rupture Soul, mimicking the turret detonation. Your heal can be Consume Soul or Spirit Transfer, and your elite could be Summon Spirits or Signet of Ghostly Might. You could have traits that replicate Spirit’s Gift and Explosive Growth. You might also have traits that affect Spirits, like Spiritleech Aura or Armor of Unfeeling.

All of the above is, at worst, easily translatable to GW2 mechanics. It would fit aesthetically, bring a new playstyle mechanically, and could definitely be a joy to play. It wouldn’t be any more hoops than what Engi had to jump through for Gyros, or Warrior justifying a second set of physical skills.

Revenants only get 5 skills, first of all. Second of all you’d only have access to a single build type. Not the diversity that would be required to make it a true successor to the Ritualist we’ve come to know and love. Yes, Revenant could accomplish SoS(aka, spammer, Aka, offensive spirits). But if it did it would never be able to accomplish Defensive spirit builds such as Prot Spirits, Soul Twisting, Ritual Lord builds. It also wouldn’t be able to achieve Urn builds(Something the necromancer already does some of anyway, mechanically). They also wouldn’t be able to also fill the healer that the Ritualist is known for. They are known for healing. Slow, powerful heals. You know…. Like the necromancer… Being a rather slow reacting profession… Like ritualists.

A revenant could never hit all the notes required. Also, the revenant is not very likely to get a second legend from Cantha. More likely and more desirable would be a legendary Charr or Norn as the next elite spec. Revenant needs a power house of an elite spec. Something heavy in condi. Not a supportive totem user…

Necromancer on the other hand absolutely needs a strong support elite spec. And the ritualist and necromancer have been bedfellows for a long time as is…

And! The character in GW2 who is most like a Ritualist in current history of the game is….. None other than… Marjory. She’s Canthan, A detective that summons the spirits of the dead to aid her in her investigation and even has her dead sister bound to her greatsword. She’s so much like a ritualist if I described her to any GW1 player without revealing her profession or what game she was from they’d all say “Yeah, sounds like a rit.”

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Muchacho.2390

And! The character in GW2 who is most like a Ritualist in current history of the game is….. None other than… Marjory. She’s Canthan, A detective that summons the spirits of the dead to aid her in her investigation and even has her dead sister bound to her greatsword. She’s so much like a ritualist if I described her to any GW1 player without revealing her profession or what game she was from they’d all say “Yeah, sounds like a rit.”

Well she is wielding a gs so woudnt it make here more of a reaper? Or do you suggest that a possible ritualist e-spec for necro should also be using greatsword? I would rather have for necros an unused weapon. Since 5 skills are desireble and i dont think bows or guns work with ritualists , it would be a hammer that is used like a ranged channeling weapon (aka chanaling magic?). But then again hammer would work better for a cultist elite spec (see the cliffside fractal for this) which also could go more into the supportive nature.

Ahh that was just some thinking of me but what kind of weapon do you think a ritualist e-spec should have? For Revenant scepter and/or focus would be the obvious choice but for necro?

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

Urns, Spirits, and Spirit Weapons are probably going to be mutually exclusive regardless of class. Spirits could be both offensive and defensive, but I don’t know if that is necessary. A Revenant could pair Ventari and Togo for healing and AI damage just like a Necro can go Blood/Minions with Cleric or Apothecary.

There’s also no reason both Revenant and Necromancer can’t get Ritualist themed specs. Revenant might get Spirit Spam, and Necro might get Urn healing support. Necromancer already had the AI niche filled, but doesn’t have bundles. Revenant arguably has bundle-like intersections in Ventari, but definitely has no AI.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Muchacho.2390

There’s also no reason both Revenant and Necromancer can’t get Ritualist themed specs. Revenant might get Spirit Spam, and Necro might get Urn healing support. Necromancer already had the AI niche filled, but doesn’t have bundles. Revenant arguably has bundle-like intersections in Ventari, but definitely has no AI.

Well say that to engis that had turrets and still got gyros.^^

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

Gyros don’t have aa damage. They’re a mix between Signets and Guardian’s Spirit Weapons. By comparison, Necro Minions are the premier form of AI.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Urns, Spirits, and Spirit Weapons are probably going to be mutually exclusive regardless of class. Spirits could be both offensive and defensive, but I don’t know if that is necessary. A Revenant could pair Ventari and Togo for healing and AI damage just like a Necro can go Blood/Minions with Cleric or Apothecary.

I’d argue that shroud is similar enough to bundles.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

Shroud is much more like, and classified as, a Transform. Much more Ursan Blessing than anything else. GW2 bundles are Conjures and Banners among some other things. Those definitely leave space for some very interesting Urn-like mechanics.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Muchacho.2390

Gyros don’t have aa damage. They’re a mix between Signets and Guardian’s Spirit Weapons. By comparison, Necro Minions are the premier form of AI.

Ritualist defensive/support spirits also didnt do aa damage (only the offensive ones did). And if a necro would get spirits as utility skills (e.g ritualist e-spec) i would assume it will be more defensive/support ones.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Shroud is much more like, and classified as, a Transform. Much more Ursan Blessing than anything else. GW2 bundles are Conjures and Banners among some other things. Those definitely leave space for some very interesting Urn-like mechanics.

Mechanicaaly, what are supposed to be the replacements for Urns in GW2 are kits. The engineer kits specifically. Essentially I’d say anything that is a glorified weapon swap could be considered similar to an Urn in concept. So yes, conjures, banners and shroud would count as well. Shame that Revenant doesn’t have anything like that. Kinda thought they would when they only had one weapon, especially with how shallow their weapon selection still is.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

Ritualist defensive/support spirits also didnt do aa damage (only the offensive ones did). And if a necro would get spirits as utility skills (e.g ritualist e-spec) i would assume it will be more defensive/support ones.

Spirits could be any combination of Damage, support, or both. A prospective Espec might have SoS and 2-3 support spirits, or it could be all damage only, or it could combine an offensive with a support. There are a bunch of different possibilities.

Mechanicaaly, what are supposed to be the replacements for Urns in GW2 are kits. The engineer kits specifically. Essentially I’d say anything that is a glorified weapon swap could be considered similar to an Urn in concept. So yes, conjures, banners and shroud would count as well. Shame that Revenant doesn’t have anything like that. Kinda thought they would when they only had one weapon, especially with how shallow their weapon selection still is.

Not at all. Urns never changed your skills (largely because GW1 didn’t have that mechanic period). An Urns power came from holding or dropping the bundle, which is not at all how Shroud works. Even more than Conjures, I think Banners fit the Urn theme most closely. Banners’ benefits are loaded into their position and are most beneficial when unwielded. They’re provided nominal skills to make carrying the banner not completely worthless. An Urn could definitely have its emphasis placed on being carried and also when dropped. Cruel was Daoshen or Defiant was Xinrae are good examples of both having a wield and drop effect.

Ritualist Spirit Weapons would likely be well represented by a mechanical combination of Conjures and Venoms. Compared to Banners, Conjures have more emphasis placed on actually holding the item and using its skills. Many Spirit Weapons also had hit limiters a la Venoms while providing very Venom-like effects (Nightmare and Splinter Weapon), much more so than the 15-25 skill use limits conjures have.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

mechanic period). An Urns power came from holding or dropping the bundle, which is not at all how Shroud works.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Furious_Demise
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spiteful_Spirit
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weakening_Shroud
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beyond_the_Veil
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shrouded_Removal
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Life_from_Death
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Foot_in_the_Grave

You’ve never played a necromancer, have you? Thats like a good chunk of our traits that care about entering or exiting shroud.

Not only that but Urns gave passive bonuses as well. Something shroud also does.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rending_Shroud
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armored_Shroud
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deadly_Strength
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unholy_Sanctuary
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unholy_Martyr
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Speed_of_Shadows
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vital_Persistence
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Perception

When I first started the game I made the criticism that the death shroud mechanic would have fit far better on a ritualist rather than a necromancer because of how it functioned.

(edited by Lily.1935)

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Brent.1580

Brent.1580

I think shortbow would be a great weapon for the new elite, focusing more on conditions, with a bit of survival thrown in to compensate the loss of the herald line facets + heal.

SB skill 1:
Auto attack chain 1a: apply 2 seconds of bleed in a small area(180 units) around target IF the target suffers from torment. Also has moderate direct damage.
Auto attack chain 1b: Moderate direct damage, increase the duration of any torment
on target by 1 second.
Auto attack chain 1c: Low direct damage, apply 2.5 seconds of torment

SB skill 2: Shoot a fast arrow that sears a Hex symbol into the ground that lasts for 3 seconds, 600 range. The hex explodes when crossed causing 2 stacks of burning for 2 seconds in a 180 Aoe circle.

SB skill 3: Shoot your target with a poisonous bomb. 1/2 sec cast, green arrow with fx trail. Causes 6 seconds of poison(1 stack) on the target. After 3 seconds pass the bomb is ready, press the 3 skill again and it explodes, copying 2 random conditions on target to 5 others around the target (300 Aoe circle). The bomb dissipates after 6 seconds. If there are no enemies around the target with bomb, then the flip skill does nothing. The target will have a blinking bomb icon above them, similiar to raids.

SB skill 4: Shoot a slow moving wall of mist that travels 600 units, blocks projectiles and immobilizes up to 5 foes that pass through it for 1 second. The wall would move at a speed similar to ele warhorn Lightning orb.

SB skill 5: Shoot and mark a location on the ground up to 600 units away, 1/2 second cast. After a 1 second delay, the skill flips to a secondary skill. This is a stun break instant cast that teleports you to the marked location and also performs an Aoe 1.5s chill with minor damage before teleporting (900 max range on tele from the mark).

Possible skill names:
SB 1 : Bloodshot; Viralshot; Demonshot
SB 2 : Fiery Hex
SB 3 : Plague bomb
SB 4 : Mist Wall
SB 5 : Chilling escape

None of these ideas are from a lore perspective, rather, they are just fun ideas that I tried to keep balanced and functional in both pvp and pve. Stacking too many condi’s from range easily would not be fun for others, but with some moderate damage auto attacks that alter current condi’s or add condi’s if another is present, we then have an interesting balance, and slow the build-up of conditions. The skill 3 would make condi rev useful in some raid settings with adds. The 2 skill could alternatively require a flip skill press to detonate the hex, making it not easily spammable. This might make its trap-like function more skill based too. If the condi-copy on skill 3 is too OP, it could be an Aoe slow for 2 seconds instead.

The auto attack could be 1200 range, but would probably be more balanced at 900, with a trait that pushed it up to 1050.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

You’ve never played a necromancer, have you? Thats like a good chunk of our traits that care about entering or exiting shroud.

So this is the direction we’re going in this conversation is it?
You don’t proc effects by activating an Item Spell, so only exiting Shroud would drop your list to

All this is telling me is that Urns would conflict with Shroud traits at a conceptual level, unless implemented as something other than a Transform. There isn’t an Urn that I would consider defining, so I wouldn’t expect Death Shroud to ever be a specific one of those Item Spells. The most mechanically translatable aspect is the Thief’s Stolen Skill as: its classified as a bundle, there are multiple, and you can code effects for both holding an item and activating it. Whether or not you’d want to encroach that much on the Thief’s niche is debatable, but it would be the most true to the GW1 Item Spell.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

So this is the direction we’re going in this conversation is it?
You don’t proc effects by activating an Item Spell, so only exiting Shroud would drop your list to

All this is telling me is that Urns would conflict with Shroud traits at a conceptual level, unless implemented as something other than a Transform. There isn’t an Urn that I would consider defining, so I wouldn’t expect Death Shroud to ever be a specific one of those Item Spells. The most mechanically translatable aspect is the Thief’s Stolen Skill as: its classified as a bundle, there are multiple, and you can code effects for both holding an item and activating it. Whether or not you’d want to encroach that much on the Thief’s niche is debatable, but it would be the most true to the GW1 Item Spell.

What it should show you is their overwhelming mechanical similarities. Which was the point. When you said there “Nothing alike” I found that to suggest that you hadn’t spent much if any time actually playing the necromancer. Sorry if it came off wrong.

Mechanically, its sound. The similarities are there. The point is that there is nothing that just having an urn would give mechanically that isn’t already there. Urns are honestly not that important to the ritualists play style as they where mostly used to enhance other aspects of the ritualist, very rarely where they the focus of their builds.

If you are looking for 100% pure ritualist then there isn’t a single profession currently in the game that can provide you with 100% pure ritualist. Not revenant, not necromancer, not ranger, nothing. We’d need a whole new profession.

What I’m looking for is primary flavor and Mechanical equivalents. Shroud provides a mechanical equivalent to Urns already. From what I’ve stated above. And considering that builds that specifically where build around Urns cycled the urns, this is accomplished in part with Shroud.

Spirits are the most important part of the ritualists flavor. Its the only skill type that is absolutely needed on an elite spec.

Spirit weapons have quite a bit of flavor for creating splash damage or providing life stealing. They do quite a bit of life stealing as is. The issue with the Revenant giving life stealing to allies dips DANGEROUSLY into necromancer territory. Giving necromancers more ways to allow allies to steal life, however, would be a welcomed addition. They also provide damage mitigation while at the same time providing life stealing.

Not only that, but providing spirits with life stealing is something that’s common among RItualists as well. Very similar to Order of Vampirism or vampirism in GW2 the necromancer already has that built into another trait line. Granted Vampirism doesn’t trigger on spirit attacks but there is absolutely no reason it couldn’t trigger on their attacks.

The necromancer also used to have this trait that would heal on its shroud auto attack. Garbage trait with a load of healing. Needless to say it was removed because of how fickle it was with life blast. However with a ground Targeted auto attack that trait could be revived and quite good. Which would further give rise to support.

Support is extremely important to any profession that would get ritualist(Its going to be necromancer if any.) and the Revenant already has a support elite specialization. What the revenant currently lacks is a decent condition ranged weapon and a decent second legend that really pushes the condition spec.

Even further problems with revenant getting the ritualist is that Arena net seem to be more interested in including legends from multiple different races rather than legends acrokittenace. People mentioned Togo, however I highly doubt Anet would limit diversity and the opportunity to really play with the revenant’s style. The point of the revenant was to provide a mechanically new experience and each new legend is supposed to be giving us something new.

The problems just pile up even further than that. What weapon would they get? Scepter? Seems like the only reasonable option, but staves are more iconic to the ritualist than scepters are. And the only other weapon thats in the game that really makes sense for them is Torch. Which we even see Razah’s Nightmare which is a torch. Although I think a lantern would be more suitable than a torch would, they’re not a weapon so that’s neither here nor there.

Why a torch? Its sort of a grave digger trope and a common held item for Ghostly aberrations. Which would be further flavor that would be lost on the Revenant because of its heavy martial focus.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

Urns and Shroud are not a great comparison. Its not something I’d consider related thematically or mechanically. Item Spells were something unique very unique to GW1 and difficult to replicate. Thief’s Stolen Skill is the most true, but also very weird to try to implement. After that, Banners or Conjures would probably be the best as they’re supposed to be skills you’d slot depending on your build, not so much as a profession mechanic.

I’d agree Spirits are probably the most defining of the Ritualist, which are best represented as Turret-like summons. Of all possible Spirit iterations, they would fill more of a niche in the Revenant than the Necromancer. Looking through both the GW1 and 2 Necromancer, they still have the concept of Orders which hasn’t been fully explored yet. Orders are easily recreated with Venoms. One could transfer conditions for x attacks, and another could remove boons for x attacks. Both are very fitting for the Necromancer style.

In the realm of GW2 Weapons, Dagger would be perfectly fine for a ritualist as the imagery is present in many icons. That would leave Dagger MH Sword OH oddness in a Revenant, but its not exactly out of the realm of possibility. Scepters are also very much an option for Revs. Just because they might not be as iconic as a staff doesn’t mean they aren’t iconic at all. Torch isn’t that fantastic thematically but a lantern skin would be very nice for more than just the Rit spec itself.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Dadnir.5038

Mechanicaaly, what are supposed to be the replacements for Urns in GW2 are kits. The engineer kits specifically.

Cough! Cough!

Don’t you think that revenant’s legend are a lot like kit? I mean they are definetly a kit of utilities skills.

Something that the revenant also have.

Not only that but Urns gave passive bonuses as well. Something shroud also does.

I’d argue that every single upkeep skill of the revenant do exactly that. and way better than the shroud.

Each legend have it’s own “passive” effect that is balanced in duration due to the energy cost over time. You could say that shiro in an urn that “passively” grant you quickness and super speed for example, Ventari is an urn that “passively” prevent missile to hurt you, Mallyx is an urn that grant you a net increase in stats.

Even if we look at the Herald, all the skill have a long lasting effect, almost “passive” when you “wield” them and an instant active effect when you sacrifice the “wielding” effect. You could consider Brill as an urn that contain a lots of different urn effect.

Saying that the shroud is a lot like an urn is… Far from the reality. Urns allow you to use all other skills in your skillbars. The only thing that it prevent was auto attack but auto attack in GW2 are already slotted skills so this difference is void.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

I’d argue that every single upkeep skill of the revenant do exactly that. and way better than the shroud.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Upkeep

Incorrect. Its not at all similar to urns at all. However, it is directly pulled from GW1 ukeep skills. Which is an argument to say that they’re more similar to monk… Monk and assassin…

By the way. I was a mechanics nerd in GW1. I experimented with builds. Trying to argue that its mechanically similar to urns when there is a one to one comparison is pretty pointless on your part.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

I don’t think Revenant would use scepter. My reasoning is, they as a theme take traditional weapons and use them in new ways. Hammer ranged, Staff melee, you get the idea.

So instead I would pose that the new rev elite spec gets ranged condi on dagger. Mainhand dagger seems to fit Rev thematic a lot, being ritualistic and shaman like in ways. The auto would be similar to ranger Axe, and the stance probably The Undead Lich, seeing as we have Shiro.

Lich’s thematic of decay and disease would certainly fit.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

I don’t think Revenant would use scepter. My reasoning is, they as a theme take traditional weapons and use them in new ways. Hammer ranged, Staff melee, you get the idea.

So instead I would pose that the new rev elite spec gets ranged condi on dagger. Mainhand dagger seems to fit Rev thematic a lot, being ritualistic and shaman like in ways. The auto would be similar to ranger Axe, and the stance probably The Undead Lich, seeing as we have Shiro.

Again, Lich steps too much into the necromancer’s territory. Decay is part of necromancer’s theme and Disease actually was a condition almost exclusively belonging to the necromancer in GW1.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Disease

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Again, Lich steps too much into the necromancer’s territory. Decay is part of necromancer’s theme and Disease actually was a condition almost exclusively belonging to the necromancer in GW1.

I know it was, but Shiro steps into Thief territory a lot, that’s what Rev does. It takes other professions and packages it in it’s own way.

Lich is perfectly reasonable.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

I know it was, but Shiro steps into Thief territory a lot, that’s what Rev does. It takes other professions and packages it in it’s own way.

Lich is perfectly reasonable.

I’ll concede to that point. However I will disagree with you on one thing. If we are going to get a legendary character who’s known for necromancy I think we should get the legendary Golemmancer Oola.

Yes she wasn’t a necromancer in GW1, she was a elementalist. However, I’d argue that she could fit that roll and has some unique ideas. So having partially metallic and fleshy minions could be cool. I’d be all for that. As for weapon? Rifle maybe?

I’d really like to see more diversity in the revenant profession though. Which Is why I don’t want Vizier Khilbron simple because he’s human.

Another option is Trahearne. Since he's dead and all. Super dead. Like, linked his mind with Mordremoth to create a gateway for the player to kill the jungle dragon dead. But people might not like that.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I LOVE the idea of having a seer, a mursaat, and a forgotten legend for three different elite specs. that way we get some insight and possible lore into these three races.

(i also really want to use spectral agony).

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

I LOVE the idea of having a seer, a mursaat, and a forgotten legend for three different elite specs. that way we get some insight and possible lore into these three races.

(i also really want to use spectral agony).

I’m in favor of this. Maybe a skill that is similar to spectral agony but not actually spectral agony.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: dECA.2370

dECA.2370

Lets imagine we get a ranged condi weapon, one handed. What offhand would we use? I mean sheild is glint, axe and sword are kinda meh for a ranged mainhand combo :/

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Ghotistyx.6942

Sword has a block and a melee range pull, so those would both be useful still to either mitigate/immobilize or pull someone further out of position.

Axe has the Torment and Chill to directly help with condi. It also has an interrupt, which might be an area of focus for the hypothetical elite spec. The gap closer is odd, but there might be some ways where that would be desirable (a trait similar to Reaper’s Deathly Chill would make it useful).

The offhands are moderately fine, the proposed Espec would just have to be designed around those.

Fishsticks

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Ertrak.9506

Ertrak.9506

I would argue that, whatever legend rev gets next, it has to be someone that had some impact in history, or rather, left a significant imprint in the mists.

All of the current legends pretty much literally changed the course of history. Because of this I’d personally like to see Pyre Fierceshot still, since he started the revolution that overthrew the Titans. I’d say that’s pretty substantial.

I also know I’m bias on this bit, but I really want to see shortbow for the next weapon. It really needs some love in terms of class diversity and actual usefulness, to being more than just a theifs mobility tool and nothing more. While it doesn’t follow the rev’s “use weapons in unconventional ways” thing, it would be a nice fit to Pyre Fierceshot I think.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Pyre Fierceshot still, since he started the revolution that overthrew the Titans.

Humans had already killed the titans, killed the God that controlled the Titans and trashed the place where titans were created long before Pyre Fierceshot came onto the scene.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Ertrak.9506

Ertrak.9506

Pyre Fierceshot still, since he started the revolution that overthrew the Titans.

Humans had already killed the titans, killed the God that controlled the Titans and trashed the place where titans were created long before Pyre Fierceshot came onto the scene.

I’ll admit, I was mainly going off what discussion i had with people in game, since I wasn’t around for GW1 and therefore don’t know too too much about the lore, According to the wiki however, apparently he did at least start/lead the charr revolution away from following ‘dieties’ claiming “charr need no gods”.

Like I said though…Im just bias because I do want the shortbow. I’ll admit it.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Spirits were abused and weapon enchantments were boons that could not be striped. I do not predict A-Net repeating both mistakes.

That was GW1. mechanics were differently in GW2.

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Lily.1935

Here is my take on ritualist. The ranged weapon is a mh ranged dagger and the mechanic can be called either power infusion or double invocation and it involves using the power of 2 legendary characters into 1 stance.

Here are a few combinations I thought off
Legendary Centaur Stance infused with Demonic Power – this turns Ventari’s tablet into an Effigy of Malyx which is used to act as a ranged condi weapon.The healing skill will apply 1 stack of resistance to nearby allies – because it will be spamable as kitten. Effigy will not heal stuff.

Legendary Centaur Stance infused with Dwarven Magic – this turns the tablet into a cc-breaking machine that deals some damage but no longer heals.

Legendary Assasin Stance infused with Demonic Power – a very mobile condi powerhouse. – the skills here will trigger both demonic defiance and nefarious momentum.

I’d Much prefer them using the Dervish’s Teardown mechanic than trying to shoehorn Spirits into a profession that CLEARLY doesn’t have any functional abilities with such a summon.

The Teardown mechanic would actually function extremely well with upkeep skills.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Teardown

Next elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Here is my take on ritualist. The ranged weapon is a mh ranged dagger and the mechanic can be called either power infusion or double invocation and it involves using the power of 2 legendary characters into 1 stance.

Here are a few combinations I thought off
Legendary Centaur Stance infused with Demonic Power – this turns Ventari’s tablet into an Effigy of Malyx which is used to act as a ranged condi weapon.The healing skill will apply 1 stack of resistance to nearby allies – because it will be spamable as kitten. Effigy will not heal stuff.

Legendary Centaur Stance infused with Dwarven Magic – this turns the tablet into a cc-breaking machine that deals some damage but no longer heals.

Legendary Assasin Stance infused with Demonic Power – a very mobile condi powerhouse. – the skills here will trigger both demonic defiance and nefarious momentum.

I’d Much prefer them using the Dervish’s Teardown mechanic than trying to shoehorn Spirits into a profession that CLEARLY doesn’t have any functional abilities with such a summon.

The Teardown mechanic would actually function extremely well with upkeep skills.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Teardown

I think it was already used for Glint.