Pain Absorption..Why again?

in Revenant

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

I remember that the reason a lot of Mallyx was changed was because the dev team thought it was counter productive in a group setting to take and send condies to enemies when condies can just be cleared.

So..
Why keep a skill that transfers condies from allies to the rev..when the rev has no real way to remove the condies OR copy them.

If the arguement was “because people clear condies before the rev can utilize them”
Why hasn’t this skill been changed like the rest?

Why not just make this a straight group cleanse?

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Revenant

Posted by: Miserymachine.7512

Miserymachine.7512

Some parts of Mallyx depend on how many conditions you have on yourself. I believe the idea was to provide an upside to pulling those condis onto yourself.

in Revenant

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Some parts of Mallyx depend on how many conditions you have on yourself. I believe the idea was to provide an upside to pulling those condis onto yourself.

Yes, but that was the old Mallyx that could actually utilize those conditions effectively. The new Mallyx is obviously not built to abuse these and was not changed enough and the result is a very confused set of utilities + trait line.

in Revenant

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Think of it as a condition cleanse for your party and given that you’ll get a fair amount of resistance from it anyway it will render most of the conditions ineffective till they’re gone.

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Think of it as a condition cleanse for your party and given that you’ll get a fair amount of resistance from it anyway it will render most of the conditions ineffective till they’re gone.

It’s arguably worse since a single boon strip spells doom for you and at 35 energy, if you don’t absorb a decent amount of conditions, you wont really have that much Resistance(you need to absorb about 4 conditions, assuming no Facet of Nature and that you’re using Demonic Defiance, to “break even” on energy and get “perma-Resistance”).

With no cleanses, you better hope that resistance lasts long enough because as soon as you can’t maintain it, you’re probably going to start melting. I really think it worked better before because your heal scaled better and your other utilities also got significantly stronger.
Nowadays, I really think it should just cleanse or something. The resistance is nice and I like it, but I don’t like eating my friend’s Burning stack and then dying because someone had a random boon strip(or just having a ton of long-lasting condis on me and being forced to swap because, well, lolno Stun Breaks).

in Revenant

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

It’s arguably worse since a single boon strip spells doom for you and at 35 energy, if you don’t absorb a decent amount of conditions, you wont really have that much Resistance(you need to absorb about 4 conditions, assuming no Facet of Nature and that you’re using Demonic Defiance, to “break even” on energy and get “perma-Resistance”).

With no cleanses, you better hope that resistance lasts long enough because as soon as you can’t maintain it, you’re probably going to start melting. I really think it worked better before because your heal scaled better and your other utilities also got significantly stronger.
Nowadays, I really think it should just cleanse or something. The resistance is nice and I like it, but I don’t like eating my friend’s Burning stack and then dying because someone had a random boon strip(or just having a ton of long-lasting condis on me and being forced to swap because, well, lolno Stun Breaks).

^This.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Revenant

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

Mallyx worked as a boss in GW1 because he was a single target brick-s**thouse with spirits in the background buffing him. So he could take conditions (plus bleeding and poison and burning didn’t stack in duration or intensity) and use the whole ‘more conditions I have the harder I hit’ thing.

It really didn’t/doesn’t work for a player character; you pop Pain Absorption at the wrong time and you can get 20 stacks of burning; better hope you can ditch it before your resistance comes off cooldown!
You could give the stance a trait/passive baseline trait that gave condition damage reduction… but then you’re essentially nerfed every condition build against them.

That’s even before you consider all the condition cleansing flying around. I think Mallyx needs to do more torment (make it so the revenant doesn’t bleed targets; it has torment for the condition damage) so instead you absorb the condtions and give enemies nearby torment?

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Mallyx worked as a boss in GW1 because he was a single target brick-s**thouse with spirits in the background buffing him. So he could take conditions (plus bleeding and poison and burning didn’t stack in duration or intensity) and use the whole ‘more conditions I have the harder I hit’ thing.

It really didn’t/doesn’t work for a player character; you pop Pain Absorption at the wrong time and you can get 20 stacks of burning; better hope you can ditch it before your resistance comes off cooldown!
You could give the stance a trait/passive baseline trait that gave condition damage reduction… but then you’re essentially nerfed every condition build against them.

That’s even before you consider all the condition cleansing flying around. I think Mallyx needs to do more torment (make it so the revenant doesn’t bleed targets; it has torment for the condition damage) so instead you absorb the condtions and give enemies nearby torment?

They could have re-worked Mallyx to function with “Demon stacks” that he gains every time a condition is afflicted on the player and having more stacks would make the stance stronger. It would require a lot more work than what was done, but it could have made everyone happy. Spamming Torment is just dull and since you have so few cover conditions now, you could just end up doing nothing due to all the cleansing.

A little too late now to fix Mallyx, I fear. If big changes don’t happen soon, I’m worried that they wont happen at all until the next giant update :L

in Revenant

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

Just used PA against Half Baked during a guild mission, my group took no damage… i was able to absorb, and negate all his condi damage.

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Just used PA against Half Baked during a guild mission, my group took no damage… i was able to absorb, and negate all his condi damage.

And yet an MM Necro can do a similar job while AFK, funnily enough.
Or you could just get someone with group cleanses.